HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Lehner and Cowen play for the right to win medals!

Old
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

vCash: 500
Sidney Crosby doesn't even whine nearly as much as people think. He got a bad rep from his first couple seasons, but he's matured a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cowen/Lehner take their games to the NHL and the type of transition they make. Hopefully it's a good one.

I don't really see anything wrong with Lehner's comments; in fact, I'm pretty happy with them because at least he's showing passion. I think we need some more passionate players on this team.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:50 PM
arglebargle

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Sidney Crosby doesn't even whine nearly as much as people think. He got a bad rep from his first couple seasons, but he's matured a lot.
I watched him whine to the referees for 3/4 of a TV timeout after he got 2 completely legitimate obstruction penalties during that last Pens game at SBP.

The Pens as a whole complain to the officials after literally every single penalty, no matter how obvious and deserving it was. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that their captain does it.

arglebargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing how Cowen/Lehner take their games to the NHL and the type of transition they make. Hopefully it's a good one.

I don't really see anything wrong with Lehner's comments; in fact, I'm pretty happy with them because at least he's showing passion. I think we need some more passionate players on this team.
ya cause his team has been on the better end of most games since that time. When his team sucks though he does have this annoying whine to him ie Sens vs Pens last game.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
I watched him whine to the referees for 3/4 of a TV timeout after he got 2 completely legitimate obstruction penalties during that last Pens game at SBP.

The Pens as a whole complain to the officials after literally every single penalty, no matter how obvious and deserving it was. Probably has a lot to do with the fact that their captain does it.
I'm not sure about the other one, but the one on Phillips was BS. I'd be complaining if that was me.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

People are much more critical of Crosby than other players because he's the best in the world (note how the rest of my post was ignored.) On top of being passionate about the game, it's his job to bring any concern his team might have to the ref as the captain -- so of course he'll spend more time than the majority of players talking to the refs. But tonnes of players in the league do it just as much. Pretty much every player in the league has something to "whine" about when they get called, or don't get called on.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Cowen doesn't make the big hits because people are afraid of him. It may seem homerish but if you watch players coming into the zone facing a 6'6, 235lbs defender, they never get too close. However when the puck is along the boards on an opposing forward's stick, he has no oppourtunity to avoid the hit. Cowen pummels guys into the boards when he gets the chance.

Someone show him an Andy Sutton highlight reel, he's virtually the same size and could devastate players. He skates a lot faster than Sutton too.

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Cowen doesn't make the big hits because people are afraid of him. It may seem homerish but if you watch players coming into the zone facing a 6'6, 235lbs defender, they never get too close. However when the puck is along the boards on an opposing forward's stick, he has no oppourtunity to avoid the hit. Cowen pummels guys into the boards when he gets the chance.

Someone show him an Andy Sutton highlight reel, he's virtually the same size and could devastate players. He skates a lot faster than Sutton too.
Speaking of Sutton -- why didn't we re-sign him again? Was he just too much for our budget, or did he not want to stay? I kind of missed that.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

Yeah Sutton developed that ability over time I imagine...something Cowen may be capable of doing. Your right though in your first point...players in this tournament appear to avoid going one on one with him.

Sutton's a great size comparison though....wish he would have played major junior so you could compare where the two of them were offensively as 19 year olds.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Wham City

I think Cowen isn't delivering any devastating open ice hits because he doesn't have to. He neutralizes a lot of attacks with his absurdly long reach right now. At the next level he'll have to adapt to NHL speed and those stick checks that are a crutch(figuratively and somewhat literally) will be supplemented with improved mobility and greater physical play in open ice. I hope, I think?

Bottomline is he's playing very well and this WJC experience and the added year of development in Spokane will only do him good.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Leachman

I wish we kept Sutton @ 2 mil. I always loved Volchenkov for his devastating hits, and quickly became a Sutton fan. He dropped the boom 3 times as often as Volchenkov. He was a hell of a lot meaner too. It pained me to say that.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:25 AM
HSF

ya i have noticed that for both gudbranson and cowen

guys would come in and pass it cross ice to the guy going to Despres or Barrie which i guess amkes gudbranson and cowen "invisible" to say as they dont get action but they are noticable on the PK.

of course forwards can't always avoid these two but they definitely try as getting around them and their long reach has proven to be a task and frankly Cowen doing poke checks seems to be working so why change it now? no need in getting caught out of position for no reason.

Gudbranson and Cowen are under rated on the defense but i think the coaches understand how useful they are cause they are usually the first guys on the PK or the dieing mins of periods or when things get a bit sketchy in the defensive zone the coaches throw these guys on to neutralize the offensive push.

glad to see some competent coaching as opposed to last year. I thought they dropped the ball on Olsen but it looks like they were right and he has proven that he can play through his struggles as he has loook good aswell

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Sensfanman

Cowen is like an anti-black hole of destruction. No one goes near his side of the ice and when they do, they go right into the boards.

I read that Cowen hasn't been on the ice for a 5 on 5 goal against since game 1, which should speak to his abilities even if Canada doesn't give up many goals in any case (except Sweden).

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Justice Beaver

Picture in your mind a crease that includes Lehner and Cowen. No Thomas Vanek, no Marco Sturm, nobody there because of their own survival instinct. We have the prospects to build a tough, forechecking team like Team Canada. This should be our direction going forward.

Justice Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
11Alfredsson

vCash: 920
Cowen has been good but I dont think many NHLers would be scared going into the corners with him since alot of them would be his size (minus the height)

11Alfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:58 AM
albator71

Man I can't wait to have Lehner has our #1 goalie, the kid is a monster, he will be our Henrik Lundqvist he's got everything to be an elite goaltender in the NHL.
So Sens fans rejoice cause our goaltending deficiencies will be a thing of the past.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:00 AM
Topside

Has Cowen taken a single penalty this tournament?

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Manny*

Yes. A hooking call, I believe.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Cowen has been good but I dont think many NHLers would be scared going into the corners with him since alot of them would be his size (minus the height)
I don't think many guys are scared of anyone in the league but there aren't that many guys that are 6'5 245-250 in the league and that's where Cowen will likely be when it's all said and done.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
Lehner showing some emotion and ripping the refs: http://watch.tsn.ca/clip396167#clip396167

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
operasen

When Cowen has to go up against NHL bodies and NHL speed there will be a large learning curve.

At this level he is doing well. He may still need some AHL time to make the next gear fluid.

I love the idea of Cowen and Gryba on this team in 2 years. Along with Karlsson and Rundblad we will be harder to play against.

Wiercioch and Benoit may have gained an edge by then as well.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:43 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Man I can't wait to have Lehner has our #1 goalie, the kid is a monster, he will be our Henrik Lundqvist he's got everything to be an elite goaltender in the NHL.
So Sens fans rejoice cause our goaltending deficiencies will be a thing of the past.
He's so awesome. He's such a competitor - which is a must IMO - but he also has the skills to back it up.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Sovereign
Old.

Good on Lehner for calling out the refs.

01-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Yes. A hooking call, I believe.
No he hasn't.
COWEN GP 6 G 1 ASS 0 PTS 1 PIM 0 +/- +5

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
senators101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
I think Cowen isn't delivering any devastating open ice hits because he doesn't have to. He neutralizes a lot of attacks with his absurdly long reach right now.
You're a poster with a long reach from time to time.

Last edited by senators101: 01-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
senators101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by senators101 View Post
You're a poster with a long reach from time to time.
Pierre!

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote