HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryan Murray on last legs in Ottawa

Old
01-04-2011, 11:15 AM
StayThirstyMyFriend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
McGuire is the worst with drafts, I remember him bashing the Karlsson pick.
Really? I remember McGuire and McKenzie going back and forth about how this was a great pick....

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
where was he assistant GM?
Hartford, 1993.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
Really? I remember McGuire and McKenzie going back and forth about how this was a great pick....
Yup they were...Pierre used the Rafalski comparison and he now uses the "louder" version of Rafalski comparison (more offensive).

My question to the people that credit Pierre with knowing the prospects is...how much is he actually scouting these players himself? Probably not much. But the scouts he talks to do... and he talks to scouts all the time...and over the years he probably has a good understanding of who to surround himself if he were to ever get a GM.

I'll say it again:
Pierre wants to be a GM in
- A passionate market
- A Canadian market
He claims to have said no to two GM jobs...one certainly being Minnesota. He thinks he would have gotten it but by the sounds of it he said no to it before he could really be interviewed because he has a specific type of hockey market in mind...Ottawa very likely being one of them.

He talks to radio stations in basically every hockey city in Canada on a daily/weekly basis...I have no doubt he has plans for any potential franchise already made up in his head would he take over any of these places. Ottawa and Calgary appear to be the most likely right now but I expect he'd much prefer Ottawa because Calgary is in a much tougher hole and is worse off in prospects. He has already said Ottawa needs to act now to avoid becoming like Calgary...that means rebuild.

When asked recently about the possibility Fisher ends up in a place like Nashville he said there are many places that could benefit from Fisher and his marketability now...he made it seem like he'd certainly be open to moving Fisher. And I think in a rebuild that is an option we NEED to look at seriously.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 01-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old
01-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
He claims to have said no to two GM jobs...one certainly being Minnesota. He thinks he would have gotten it but by the sounds of it he said no to it before he could really be interviewed because he has a specific type of hockey market in mind...Ottawa very likely being one of them.
I'm going to call bs on that one. Sounds like Mcguire blowing smoke up his own ass. Who the hell is he to turn down executive positions at the NHL level? This isn't Scotty Bowman putting himself back on the market who could litterally pick his team here but a guy who was once an assistant GM a gazillion years ago.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
I'm going to call bs on that one. Sounds like Mcguire blowing smoke up his own ass. Who the hell is he to turn down executive positions at the NHL level? This isn't Scotty Bowman putting himself back on the market who could litterally pick his team here but a guy who was once an assistant GM a gazillion years ago.
Well, as someone who is actively trying to get a GM job I'm sure it's in his best interest not to make an ass of himself in front of the people who are actually inside the hockey world and know whether he is going on record with spitting BS. I mean...he loses too much credibility by lying about it because if it's true or not...people around the league know.

Who is he to choose? He's a TSN analyst that appears to love the job he currently has.

Old
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
inthewings

Chalk me up as someone who would support the hiring of McGuire. We can surely toss out his flamboyant TV persona, and under that is a guy who knows the game very well and is plugged in to scouting circles around the world. I also believe that he is a guy who will protect his assets (picks) rather than move them in ill-conceived cup runs, which fits perfectly with my own philosophy about the game.

inthewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:42 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
He has been considered for two jobs in the last couple of years and was passed over for both.

From all reports he desperately wanted the MInnesota job and even mentioned who he had considered interviewing for coach had he got the job(Kevin Dineen).

He has been lobbying hard for the Ottawa GM position,they were joking about it on the Fan 590 a couple of weeks ago referring to him as the "usual suspect"(so it seems he always makes a run at the GM jobs) and sayng that he had contacted Melnyk directly.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
The Chef*

Mcguire is the GM edition of Melrose. Melrose actually coached a team and sucked when he came back. McGuire was never a GM.

Should say it all right there.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
inthewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas Cornwall View Post
Mcguire is the GM edition of Melrose. Melrose actually coached a team and sucked when he came back. McGuire was never a GM.

By this logic John Davidson must be an utter failure in St. Louis, right?

inthewings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas Cornwall View Post

But on the other hand, you have someone like Mike Gillis who was also never a GM, simply a player agent, come in and do a decent job. I'm not saying we should go with PM, but he shouldn't be discounted simply because he was never a GM.

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
You just made that up, McGuire is excellent at scouting players.

I agree with a few posts ago, if we just want someone to come in to draft for this year we are better with Murray.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control

It just seems to me that while we're sitting here discussing ways to scrap our GM (who has a great deal of GM experience), GM Experience might be a slightly over-rated quality...

Mr_Squeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Ibrahim
I Am A God

Quote:

Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Squeaks View Post
It just seems to me that while we're sitting here discussing ways to scrap our GM (who has a great deal of GM experience), GM Experience might be a slightly over-rated quality...
Quite possible....in the "new" NHL.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Yeah...he bashed him alrite

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Minister of Offence

Karlsson was the fastest climber in that draft and to this day and likely for the next 2-3 years and perhaps beyond that he will continue climb...and he's already widely considered among the top 5 players from the exceptional 08 draft.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Regardless of who's out, I just want a culture change around this club. We used to be seen a model franchise around the league; however, with all the stuff that's happened over the last few years (Emery, Heatley, coaches being fired), we've lost all the lustre and now get routinely embarrassed on national tv. I just want to see someone come in from outside the franchise who can give the club an identity again.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:32 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Per Garrioch's Twitter:

Quote:
SunGarrioch Bruce Garrioch
Senators GM Bryan Murray is en route back from the world juniors and will address the media Wednesday. NOT a formal press conference.
Sounds like nothing is happening.

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Regardless of who's out, I just want a culture change around this club. We used to be seen a model franchise around the league; however, with all the stuff that's happened over the last few years (Emery, Heatley, coaches being fired), we've lost all the lustre and now get routinely embarrassed on national tv. I just want to see someone come in from outside the franchise who can give the club an identity again.
My exact feeling, and the feeling of most people I talk to...This group has had their chance, they never got it done, so why not move on?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Per Garrioch's Twitter:

Damn, was hoping he'd be stepping down.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Per Garrioch's Twitter:

Maybe that could turn to formal once he's been informed in person that he's being removed.... Maybe that's why he's been summoned home from the WJC one day early...

Old
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Pierre McGuire could be pretty knowledgeable with the juniors that does not make him a good GM for this.

With his personality/network, would he have any problems or advantages hiring good staff?

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:56 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Melnyk may be interested in Pierre McGuire simply because of the Scotty Bowman connection. What if (pure speculation mind you) but what if PM took over and brought along Bowman as a consultant?
Edit: I see he already has this role with Chicago. But they may let him walk. Maybe.
It would give name-brand legitimacy to the pick of PM. It would also create a lot of buzz and Bowman's duties could be very, very light. The fact that he is attached to it would be all that's needed.
Also, PM would probably have no problem with Clouston for the rest of the season. Any new coach hiring should come in the summertime.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
Pierre McGuire could be pretty knowledgeable with the juniors that does not make him a good GM for this.

With his personality/network, would he have any problems or advantages hiring good staff?
If you've never listened to him on the radio, do so. You will quickly see the person he is and the person the people in the hockey world know him as. He is well-respected among hockey people.

He's mocked here and among common people because they think his TV personality is who he is. Interestingly enough, his TV personality is toning down.

Old
01-04-2011, 03:18 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If you've never listened to him on the radio, do so. You will quickly see the person he is and the person the people in the hockey world know him as. He is well-respected among hockey people.

He's mocked here and among common people because they think his TV personality is who he is. Interestingly enough, his TV personality is toning down.
I would much rather have the TV personality Mcguire at the helm. He could call Burke at 4am and yell "ITS A DOUBLE DION" and promptly hang up, he would have my vote for GM of the year.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote