HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Open Season on Sabres Roster

Old
01-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Actually, I like Ryan Miller. He is without a doubt one of the top 10 goalies in the league.
I am not a Miller Hater as you would like to spout. I am merely looking to better the Sabres, and in doing so, put them in a position to contend for Lord Stanley's Cup.
Surely, a simpleton such as yourself can see this? No?
Why don't you do that by trading wastes of money like Vanek? Or, to a lesser extent, Pominville? Or using the $21-$23 mil in cap space that the Sabres will have this summer? Why does the plan have to entail trading their best player?

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:35 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
if i were gm, there would only be one untouchable on my list...and that's myers. everyone else is open season and anyone could be had for the right price.

that's how the **** you run a team. you'll never improve in any way if you have so many untouchables.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:36 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Why don't you do that by trading wastes of money like Vanek? Or, to a lesser extent, Pominville? Or using the $21-$23 mil in cap space that the Sabres will have this summer? Why does the plan have to entail trading their best player?
Well, the reason is very simple actually.
If we trade away our best player (who happens to be one of the better goaltenders in the league), we actually have a shot at getting a better return.

I am not against keeping Miller mind you, I am not a Miller fan though as well, and that has nothing to do with Miller himself. It has everything to do with Lord Stanley's Cup.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLostQuinn View Post
if i were gm, there would only be one untouchable on my list...and that's myers. everyone else is open season and anyone could be had for the right price.

that's how the **** you run a team. you'll never improve in any way if you have so many untouchables.
I completely agree GetLostQuinn, I must point out however, that keeping youth gives you a pipeline to continue the teams competitivennes. Which, in short, means that I am looking to the future, this current squad doesn't have what it takes.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
BigHabs

Deadline deal??

Montreal

Weber/and 4th round pick

for

Buffalo

Montador

??

What about also adding Kristo and changing the pick for say a 3rd for Stafford?

Weber
Kristo
3rd round pick

for

Stafford
Montador

???

If no to the second than just the first deal, Weber/and late pick and Montador. All deadline speculation, if Buffalo is out.

Stafford Plekanec Cammalleri
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Pouliot Eller Kostitsyn??? Deadline question mark
Moen Halpern Darche

ex. Pyatt, Desharnais

Hamrlik Spacek
Wisniewski Montador
Gill Subban

ex. Picard

Depending on how long Gorges is out will effect the pairings.

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-03-2011 at 08:52 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Well, the reason is very simple actually.
If we trade away our best player (who happens to be one of the better goaltenders in the league), we actually have a shot at getting a better return.

I am not against keeping Miller mind you, I am not a Miller fan though as well, and that has nothing to do with Miller himself. It has everything to do with Lord Stanley's Cup.
I still think it's a dumb plan. Keep your best player (Miller) and find ways to acquire difference-makers around him. You make it sound like keeping Miller and winning the Cup are mutually exclusive, and that's ridiculous. Put a better team in front of Miller and you can be a Cup contender (like they were the first two seasons out of the lockout). We have a well below-average group of skaters. Look at their record when Miller doesn't play over the last three years. Some of that is the poor quality of our backups, but a lot of it has to do with the quality of the team put in front of Miller. Also, it'd help if our coach didn't run him into the ground every season.

Old
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
static80

Quote:
I still think it's a dumb plan. Keep your best player (Hasek) and find ways to acquire difference-makers around him. You make it sound like keeping Miller and winning the Cup are mutually exclusive, and that's ridiculous. Put a better team in front of Miller and you can be a Cup contender (like they were the first two seasons out of the lockout). We have a well below-average group of skaters. Look at their record when Miller doesn't play over the last three years. Some of that is the poor quality of our backups, but a lot of it has to do with the quality of the team put in front of Miller. Also, it'd help if our coach didn't run him into the ground every season.
In the bolded. Does it look fimiliar? It should.
Let me ask you this, if we couldn't win the Cup with arguably the best goaltender of all time, let me ask you, what makes you think we can win the Cup with Miller?

Old
01-03-2011, 08:57 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Deadline deal??

Montreal

Weber/and 4th round pick

for

Buffalo

Montador

??

What about also adding Kristo and changing the pick for say a 3rd for Stafford?

Weber
Kristo
3rd round pick

for

Stafford
Montador

???

If no to the second than just the first deal, Weber/and late pick and Montador. All deadline speculation, if Buffalo is out.

Stafford Plekanec Cammalleri
Pacioretty Gomez Gionta
Pouliot Eller Kostitsyn??? Deadline question mark
Moen Halpern Darche

ex. Pyatt, Desharnais

Hamrlik Spacek
Wisniewski Montador
Gill Subban

ex. Picard

Depending on how long Gorges is out will effect the pairings.
Stafford wont' be cheap. Not that cheap atleast.
As for Montador, yes, I would speak on the Weber deal.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Let me ask you this, if we couldn't win the Cup with arguably the best goaltender of all time, let me ask you, what makes you think we can win the Cup with Miller?
So, you're then arguing that we can't win the Cup no matter who our goaltender is? This whole thread is getting rather bizarre.

Old
01-03-2011, 09:21 PM
DontgoZiggy

Buf

Gaustad and Weber

La
Voynov and Moller

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:21 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Then what goaltender could we win the Cup with???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
Deadline deal??

Montreal

Weber/and 4th round pick

for

Buffalo

Montador
I would probably do this deal, but do you have a comparable forward prospect to Weber? We are overloaded with defensive prospects and I would do this in a heartbeat if a comparable forward prospect was to replace Weber in that deal.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 09:45 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
I would probably do this deal, but do you have a comparable forward prospect to Weber? We are overloaded with defensive prospects and I would do this in a heartbeat if a comparable forward prospect was to replace Weber in that deal.
Ben Maxwell, is the only one that has come to mind. Alot of our players in the minors are not ready as of yet, but Maxwell is one of the closest as we already called up Desharnais.

Maxwell who has decent size and scoring ability, has not gotten a great chance to make the big club besides in pre season, and White I believe made it further than him in cuts.

Maxwell given a shot, which he could probably get in Buffalo would be a perfect fit to replace Weber.

Only problem for the Habs is, we kind of need to send Weber or Picard.

Wisniewski
Subban
Gill
Hamrlik
Spacek
Weber
Picard

Gorges when he returns from injury. I wont include Markov because he is done for the season. But We would have 7 dman and than bring in Montador and have 8, then when Gorges comes back we would have 9. I think the only way to make it work if, Weber or Picard goes the other way.

Maybe if we added Maxwell we could make a move around

Weber
Maxwell

for

Montador
Crawford

Crawford could fill in nicely in the AHL and develope as the Habs need an extra dman down in the AHL.

Montador would step in right away log decent minutes, as he can play alot of roles. He would help with resting and easing the work load on Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill. When Gorges returns they can rest 1 of the older 3 for a game or 2, of their choice.

Last edited by BigHabs: 01-03-2011 at 09:58 PM.
BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Capitals will have a look at Tim Connolly so long as he is not injured.

Look at our prospects and take your pick, so long as it's not a stupid trade idea.
Stanislav Galiev
for Tim Connolly

Quote:

Myers and Kassian are my only untouchables

Ryan Miller
to Columbus
for
Ryan Johansen, Petr Straka, and Steve Mason

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:38 PM
campmolson19

As of the active roster right now, they should be fielding calls on anyone, except for Ennis, Myers and Vanek. Everyone else should be available. As for prospects, hang onto Kassian and Foligno.

campmolson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:

100% agree.

Myers is Stamkos as a Dman. Once this kid puts some muscle on, ie develops his manly muscles he will be a monster. At 20 right now he will only get better and compete every year for the Norris, ie IMO.

Unless someone offers a ridicules offer for him (Myers), and about the only one I could see even being remotely possible in a trade scenerio (bc Ovie, Crosbly and Stamkos will not be traded) would be Myers for Malkin. There are always rumours about Malkin, obviously he is a franchise, #1 centerman...and I might be enticed to do that but I won't trade him for Iginla, Vinny, Thorton, Sedin(s), Kessel, Kane...(Please don't highlight this line and say would you trade Myers for Bobby Ryan straight up? Or Marty St Louis? Of course I would love those guys on the Sabres but what has a guy like Pronger brought to a contender? Neidemeyer on the Ducks/Devils? Rob Blake? Lindstrom? Keith? Etc. You need an elite defensman to win in this league, and Myers is a prety good bet to become a top 5 for the next decade or 15 years.

That leaves the rest of the team, and IMO, everyone else could be had. Now, that does not mean Ennis and Kassain are on the trading block...no way but if the right package came offering, they could be had. Like if Pittsburgh offered a deal around Staal for Ennis, Ennis is going.

Miller could be had right now for the right price too. He is an awesome goalie, and an awesome face for our franchise but if the team will not put the right supporting cast around him, well, trade him for the future.

With all of that said, I think the poster was on the right idea with a Sabres firesale but needs to be a little more specific. We suck right now, our best player is out for the season, and we are 8 (or so) points out of a playoff spot, and need to leapfrog a few teams, plus this team is missing a few pieces to be cup competitive.

There are a few soon to be UFA's on the roster, and a few change of scenary type players that could be had...some have decent contracts, some are paid too much. So the poster should have said..."what will you give for Connolly? Gausted? Pomminville? Grier? (And you'll need him to get him to waive NTC) Neidimeyer? Hecht? Stafford? (Yes, him. Having a very good year) Butler? Sekera? (He's also having a very good year, young, rfa, etc...) Rivet? Gerbe? Lalime? (hahahaha...had too) Montador? Vanek?

Now, guys like Adam, Ennis, Weber and Kassain are really not being put on the trading block but if there is a package out there that needs one of these guys to bring in a major piece, then we'll trade them but not until.

With all of that said....IF, IF, IF Pegula buys the Sabres, there will be major changes with the Sabres. The guy is a Billionaire, supposedly will become the second richest NHL owner if he does buy the team, wife is from Buffalo area, he is a Sabres fan, he is a hockey fan, and if he buys the team the Sabres will go out and get the pieces they are missing. So, if he buys the team the team is going to get a facelift, and not by the young guys but with Connolly, Gausted, hecht, Rivet, Pomminville, etc....

Just my opinion guys (and girls)

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by quesosauce View Post
I would trade you Ryan O'Reilly, Tyson Barrie and good picks for Ryan Miller
Done.

Oh and for the record, Vanek is the absolute FIRST guy we should be looking to trade. No way is he "untouchable", unless by untouchable you mean no other team wants to bother with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Myers is Stamkos as a Dman. Once this kid puts some muscle on, ie develops his manly muscles he will be a monster. At 20 right now he will only get better and compete every year for the Norris, ie IMO.

Unless someone offers a ridicules offer for him (Myers), and about the only one I could see even being remotely possible in a trade scenerio (bc Ovie, Crosbly and Stamkos will not be traded) would be Myers for Malkin. There are always rumours about Malkin, obviously he is a franchise, #1 centerman...and I might be enticed to do that but I won't trade him for Iginla, Vinny, Thorton, Sedin(s), Kessel, Kane...(Please don't highlight this line and say would you trade Myers for Bobby Ryan straight up? Or Marty St Louis? Of course I would love those guys on the Sabres but what has a guy like Pronger brought to a contender? Neidemeyer on the Ducks/Devils? Rob Blake? Lindstrom? Keith? Etc. You need an elite defensman to win in this league, and Myers is a prety good bet to become a top 5 for the next decade or 15 years.
You are seriously overrating Myers.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:55 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ryan Miller
to Columbus
for
Ryan Johansen, Petr Straka, and Steve Mason
That would be great; I don't think Jackets fans would feel that way, though.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:15 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
You are seriously overrating Myers.
Yes, I am right now as the kid is only 20. In 2 years I don't think I will be. Fluid skater, puck handler, 6'8" and with 20 more pounds of muscles....beast.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:24 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
Then what goaltender could we win the Cup with???
Simple question Stephane Beauregard.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:29 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Was gonna say Gaustad but he makes way more than I thought he did.

Last edited by LickTheEnvelope: 01-05-2011 at 11:19 AM.
LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:57 AM
glassjaw*

imo untouchable:
Myers
Kassian

borderline untouchable
Ennis
Miller

I'd trade everybody else except for Kaleta because he brings a lot to the table and is a fan favorite.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Zip15

It's laughable that anyone who watches the Sabres can actually list Thomas Vanek as an untouchable. Yet people still do.

Old
01-04-2011, 09:21 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I hope the OP doesn't expect some huge groundbreaking trade to go down if the GM deems the same players untouchable.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

Miller
Montador
for
JVR
Coburn
Bobrovsky

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
It's laughable that anyone who watches the Sabres can actually list Thomas Vanek as an untouchable. Yet people still do.
I think it's laughable that someone could laugh at Vanek being untouchable, but at the same time see Miller as untouchable.

They are either both untouchable... in which the franchise will attempt to fix the problems AROUND them.

Or they are both tradeable... in which the franchise will go into a full fledged rebuild.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote