HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Hawks - 01/03/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
Hard to create rebounds when half of our point shots are always wide
You do realize that Smyth's 2nd goal, was going wide, right?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
You trying to say Smyth doesn't go to the net?

It's kind of hard to deflect shots that are eye-level or going 6 feet wide. The Kings finally put JJ on the #1 PP unit and they scored a goal off a "low,accurate wrist shot" those 4 words are not in Stoll's NHL vocabulary.

Stoll is a 3rd line talent with 0 goals in 15 games yet Terry Murray insists on trying to make him the main trigger man on the Kings PP, its laughable.
Smyth is the only one in front of the net,

Tell me, when was the last time, on the PP as a shot by whoever is coming in, you saw Kopitar, Brown, Sturm, Williams, converge on the net?

Old
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

SJ,

I actually agree with you for the most part, I mean watching the Kings 5 on 3 was a joke with three guys so high up. I just have no idea how you can defend Stoll on the PP, the guy is just a horrendous PP player, I don't see how anyone can defend him being out there.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:10 PM
MxK1NGS

Like Bruce Boudreau has said.. WHERE THE HELL IS THE COMPETE!? You score one, you give one over and over again tonight. Just depressing game. We have to many half-ass players on this team. Handzus and Smyth need to retired(regardless of Smyth's goal) and Doughty need to get his ego checked. If he honestly thinks that he could win a Norris this year he needs to get his head checked. I mean throwin it through the middle?? Are you kidding me? this is Hockey 101. I have lost patience in the guy. I am not sure if it is worth watching thursday's game. In the last 5 yrs I have never been so mad about the Kings losing. this is the first year where I am pissed. And I guess that's a good thing because for the first time I think the Kings can do REALLY good. My expectations are high.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:13 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
SJ,

I actually agree with you for the most part, I mean watching the Kings 5 on 3 was a joke with three guys so high up. I just have no idea how you can defend Stoll on the PP, the guy is just a horrendous PP player, I don't see how anyone can defend him being out there.
Because I understand what his role is, his role isn't to be a sniper, hell it's not even to score on the power play, his role is to get the puck towards the net, hard and heavy, and create chances through screens and rebounds, the fact that you have one player out of 12 willing to be in front of the net defeats that purpose though.

Watch, if and when the Kings start converging on the net after a shot by Stoll, they will start scoring on the power play, and when that happens, teams will start to focus on Stoll, and that should open up Doughty, the problem there is that Doughty;s decision making skills are brutal this year.

Old
01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
mbar

The team needs some sort of shake up. New lines? New defensive pairings? Defense call ups from Manchester? I don't know, but the status quo can't continue.

And the poster who commented on our mental toughness is right on. We throw away so many points when we are tied in the third period. Does anyone know where to find ultimate records of teams when they are at some point tied in the third period? We lose more then our share and worse we lose in regulation and fail to get the pity point.

It's all going to add up at the end of the season.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Yeah, that came off a snap shot from JJ, nobody on the point ever tries to just get it through. They all try to wind up and fire rockets, and by the time they usually wind up there is a forward there to block their shot. Our PP pointmen need to watch Lidstrom as he just gets it through for exactly what you want, screens and rebounds.

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Tonellisghost
WE ARE THE KINGS!!!!

Next, but it is starting to look like an all too predictable pattern.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Does anyone here realize that actual point of a "point shot?"

Everyone here is jumping on Stoll because he hasn't scored from the point, seriously, not many from the point go straight in.

The #1 objective of a point shot, is to create rebounds from screens, tips etc, and for that, you have to have people in the net, and crash the net.

The problem isn't Stoll's shooting, it's the fact that there is no one with balls enough to take the punishment in front of the net, and once the shot does happen, you have the other 2 guys, one behind the net, and one on the half wall, sitting there watching the damn play, instead of going to the net.
?? Every pp, 1 of either Zeus or Smyth is standing directly infront of the keeper 90% of the time

Quote:
Smyth is the only one in front of the net,

Tell me, when was the last time, on the PP as a shot by whoever is coming in, you saw Kopitar, Brown, Sturm, Williams, converge on the net?
On the 3rd goal today, Sturm was infront of the net. Kopitar is never going to be there since he is meant to be the one taking the shots. Brown has scored a fair few of his goals this season from being around the net and tapping in rebounds on the pp. Williams is the designated half wall shooter for the 2nd unit so he would never be there

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
?? Every pp, 1 of either Zeus or Smyth is standing directly infront of the keeper 90% of the time
Not every powerplay, and just standing in front of him isn't enough, the other forwards have to converge on the net as the shot happens, otherwise they are just a waste of space after that shot and they turn into spectators.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Would be a pleasant welcome to see a coach behind the bench with a pulse. This team seems to play much like its leadership: complacent.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I will never say he is a bad coach, but this is the game that has me finally saying that this team needs a different coach before it is a Cup contender. Hawks had Savard who put in a real nice season as the coach and then canned him after 4 games knowing that he wsn't the guy to take them to the next level.

Murray is good at instituting a system but he can not make ANY changes on the fly. Also, he is the absolute worst at matching lines. Gave away points against CBJ by having the bottom D pairing out against Nash with little time left and then tonight, he's got the bottom D pairing put there against the Hawks 2nd line late in the 3rd. This is a guy that has on many occasions put the 4th line, with an enfrocer, out against the other team's best line at home!!

Anyways, I'm shocked to come home and not find one person *****ing about the Scuderi call in the 1st period. there is the difference in the game right there. Totally clean play that gets called for interference as a gift by the refs since they felt bad that the Hawks were getting housed out there. they score on the PP, it's 1-1 and the Kings folded.

There is skill on this team, yet Smyth is the team leader in goals. Think about it. The whole, "Run the offense through point shots, even if it's Scuderi, Greene or Johnson shooting" is ********.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:21 AM
no name

Quote:
Was that the one off Jack? If so Smyth had his stick between his legs and was standing in front of the goalie. That wasn't close to being wide. The shot shattered his stick and deflected in.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 12:30 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Was that the one off Jack? If so Smyth had his stick between his legs and was standing in front of the goalie. That wasn't close to being wide. The shot shattered his stick and deflected in.
That was the one off of Jack,

I thought it was going wide and Smyth had his stick on the outside of Crawford's pad, and it re-directed right into the net.

Old
01-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Orenji

The lucky thing is that the only teams who are locked in for the playoffs are Canucks/Wings.

Even the Sharks are losing.

It's really jumbled. We really need to beat the Predators. John "The Predator Slayer" Bernier hopefully will deliver us to the promise land.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Bummer to lose on a freak play like that. We had them by the throats in the first and let them go. Onto the next one.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Orenji

Look on the bright side. The NHL All Star roster is announced tomorrow, I think.

We can complain about how Quick gets snubbed.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 04:54 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Can we stop with the Johnson and Doughty pairings 5 on 5? kthnxbai.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Can we stop with the Johnson and Doughty pairings 5 on 5? kthnxbai.
What drives me nuts is that when they're together, Greene and Scuderi are together. One unit can't play in our zone and the other can't get the puck up ice.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:34 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
What drives me nuts is that when they're together, Greene and Scuderi are together. One unit can't play in our zone and the other can't get the puck up ice.
I don't know why he messed with a good thing.

One stay at home D-man. One puck mover/scorer. Simple. Works.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

My favorite part about the Doughty/Johnson thing is they are so bad 5 on 5, no chemistry at all. Yet TM continues to play them together.

Yet on the PP, where they look really good together, he refuses to put Johnson on the #1 unit.

When I saw him send out the Westgarth line tonight after an icing by the Hawks I told myself I am done trying to figure out whats going through that man's head.

The Kings are poorly coached.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:01 AM
fsanford

Hey Wayne

Next time you are 3 feet from the blue line in your own zone, make the smart play get it out. I cannot believe he passed it back to Martinez with 2 Hawks on him, thinking we were going to set up some kind of big offensive rush. Dumb dumb dumb

Makes the smart play Hawks do not score.

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 08:18 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

Currently the Kings are on pace for 94.6 points this season. Last season the 8th seeded team had 95 points.

The boys need some wins badly.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Butch 19
King me

That very old and familiar feeling of a season slipping away has settled in - again.

Oh they'll scratch and claw for the #6 - 8 spot, maybe play 5 - 6 playoff games, rinse, repeat again next season.

Desparation calls for desparate measures, and this team plays like anything but desparate - they're just cruising along.

THIS is Year #5? This is the level of a "competitive team" that DL has assembled?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 09:02 AM
SFKingshomer

Eh, still a young and inconsistent team that's going to struggle until they gain more experience against better teams. A ton of time to turn it around and the assets to get it done. Go Kings Go.

SFKingshomer is online now   Reply With Quote