HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you believe?

Old
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Do you believe?

I remember the playoffs and people slowly started to believe and get on the bandwagon. Well its a new season, Halak is gone, Price has stepped up.

We started out really strong even without Markov, we lost an intergral piece of our puzzle for the past 5 years and we are still doing ok. Many pegged us 7-10th in the pre season and that is where we are without Markov.

So while we are in this slump, I'm asking you, do you believe in this core? We are small, we've been inconsistent. We lack a superstar.

Personally I'm glad Gainey blew up the team and I love this core so much better than Koivu/Kovalev. I think we are a better team, that we can go deeper.

I don't think this is the year we can go all the way, I say we don't spend like drunken sailors for more depth but we just ride out the year and get another year's experience in the playoffs as a team and just hope for the best. We lost our best defencemen, it doesn't make sense to be buyers when your spending just to fix what you lost.

But I think even with the players we have now, we have a chance to be the dark horses again. Then next year, Eller will be a year older and hopefully more productive. Price will be a year older and hopefully more consistent. Subban will have more experience and better.

I'm happy overall with our team. I'm also content with JM as coach, I don't see a better available alternative. I'm also content with AK. If you set your expectations to him being a streaky player who's going to have long cold streaks and look useless at times but give you 20ish goals a year, then you learn not to hope for the world from him.

I believe! how about you?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

I believe in our young players/prospects but with our core I would be in favour of trading half of them away.

For us to implement Martin's system there will be a weeding out process and I don't think a lot of fans will be that happy with a lot of moves that Gauthier will end up making.

If we trading for players, unless a guy can be a productive player here for 5-10 years, I would pass on him.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:59 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I believe in our young players/prospects but with our core I would be in favour of trading half of them away.

For us to implement Martin's system there will be a weeding out process and I don't think a lot of fans will be that happy with a lot of moves that Gauthier will end up making.

If we trading for players, unless a guy can be a productive player here for 5-10 years, I would pass on him.
I agree. I don't believe this team is a legit contender this year or in the near future.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:06 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Yes; year in year out (at least in the last few years)

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

I must say I'm really excited about the future, and what I like about the core we have now is that they play when it matters. We have a system that works in the playoffs, and players who can excel in the system. We have the goaltending (Don't care about the current slump, he's steady).

Subban, Eller, Weber, Leblanc, white, Patches, Nash and Avstyn are a good combo of speed, skill, size and grit. Not worried about the future.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
BLONG7

Good things going forward with alot of the youngsters....

Just make it to the playoffs, and who knows what can happen...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I remember the playoffs and people slowly started to believe and get on the bandwagon. Well its a new season, Halak is gone, Price has stepped up.

We started out really strong even without Markov, we lost an intergral piece of our puzzle for the past 5 years and we are still doing ok. Many pegged us 7-10th in the pre season and that is where we are without Markov.

So while we are in this slump, I'm asking you, do you believe in this core? We are small, we've been inconsistent. We lack a superstar.

Personally I'm glad Gainey blew up the team and I love this core so much better than Koivu/Kovalev. I think we are a better team, that we can go deeper.

I don't think this is the year we can go all the way, I say we don't spend like drunken sailors for more depth but we just ride out the year and get another year's experience in the playoffs as a team and just hope for the best. We lost our best defencemen, it doesn't make sense to be buyers when your spending just to fix what you lost.

But I think even with the players we have now, we have a chance to be the dark horses again. Then next year, Eller will be a year older and hopefully more productive. Price will be a year older and hopefully more consistent. Subban will have more experience and better.

I'm happy overall with our team. I'm also content with JM as coach, I don't see a better available alternative. I'm also content with AK. If you set your expectations to him being a streaky player who's going to have long cold streaks and look useless at times but give you 20ish goals a year, then you learn not to hope for the world from him.

I believe! how about you?
I gotta say, you left me scratching my head.

You believe in our team and feel we could be yet again the dark horse, but then say we shouldn't be buyers??..How does this make sense?..

You say you're content with AK because you lowered your expectations, well, that's great and all, but he's still having a disappointing year. I'm not blaming him for it though, I think Martin screwed him up (and still does). When you have a fragile player performing well, it's probably not the best idea to demote him on the 2nd line with a struggling center and a scrapper.

We need to make certain adjustments because the optimal goal here is not to be the dark horse, but the favorite.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

like every year I start to believe come playoff time.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:27 PM
MM425

I'm happy with the core of players that we have right now. Missing a few pieces but we really are in much better shape than everyone else in our division minus Boston.

My fingers are crossed that we can somehow make a big play for Brad Richards in the off-season.

Adding him + another year of maturity for our young guys = a potential cup contending team next season

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

You believe in our team and feel we could be yet again the dark horse, but then say we shouldn't be buyers??..How does this make sense?..
Very simple, long term planning. Why spend this year as the dark horse when you can save up until next year and have more assets to spend when your not the dark horse but more of a legit contender.

If we make noise this year in the playoffs, teams will consider us real threats in the 11-12 season. That is the time to go all out imo.

Lets take Tampa Bay for example. I think they are a decent team but I think it would be a mistake for them to go all out this year. Yea sure they have guys that have won the cup, but they have guys who haven't even experienced the playoffs as well. They're much better poised to just get playoff experience as a group this year and prepare for next year.

Look at recent cup winners, they slowly got deeper and deeper. I just prefer to use models that have delivered success in the past.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:29 PM
macavoy

Quote:
We need to make certain adjustments because the optimal goal here is not to be the dark horse, but the favorite.
I don't think any adjustments can be made this year to turn us from the dark horse to the favourite. For you to suggest it, is kinda silly imo.

Old
01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
macavoy

Quote:
You say you're content with AK because you lowered your expectations, well, that's great and all, but he's still having a disappointing year. I'm not blaming him for it though, I think Martin screwed him up (and still does). When you have a fragile player performing well, it's probably not the best idea to demote him on the 2nd line with a struggling center and a scrapper.
I agree he's been mishandled this year by JM. But if you compare

2009-10 AK to 2010-11 AK, 2010 AK is disappointing, he's improved on last year even though he's been demoted by JM.

If all our players improved over last year, I'd be happy. He will never be a getzlaf, people expecting that are only setting themselves up for failure. He's a top 6 winger that will get you 20ish goals a year. He's not a premiere player, he never will be.

Old
01-05-2011, 01:13 PM
92Rahman

I BELIEVE
TRUE HABS FAN NEVERRR GIVE UP
GO HABS GO !!!

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
neofury*

I'd comment but I'd likely be called a sheep for believing in the team I love so much. /rolleyes

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rahman View Post
I BELIEVE
TRUE HABS FAN NEVERRR GIVE UP
GO HABS GO !!!
That's right! Been believing for 30 years.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

I believe this team is better than they are showing now and I think they will contend in the playoffs. Going through a rough patch for sure but they look ready to break out of it.

The Habs are a top 6 forward and a top 2 D away from being a true playoff threat and we might have them in the system already. A trade for this year would be nice as long as they don't mortgage the future i.e. Leblanc, Subban, Tinordi.

All in all when this team is on they are really hard to beat and I like that.

11Goat11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Next Best Thing*

Make the playoffs and everything is possible, there is a lot of experience on this team.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
BackToThePresent

I believe once we're out of this slump, we'll be right back in there battling for the division lead.

BackToThePresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Very simple, long term planning. Why spend this year as the dark horse when you can save up until next year and have more assets to spend when your not the dark horse but more of a legit contender.

If we make noise this year in the playoffs, teams will consider us real threats in the 11-12 season. That is the time to go all out imo.

Lets take Tampa Bay for example. I think they are a decent team but I think it would be a mistake for them to go all out this year. Yea sure they have guys that have won the cup, but they have guys who haven't even experienced the playoffs as well. They're much better poised to just get playoff experience as a group this year and prepare for next year.

Look at recent cup winners, they slowly got deeper and deeper. I just prefer to use models that have delivered success in the past.
Nobody is saying we should go all out and pay extra for one rental player. However, I wouldn't mind going after someone like Kaberle as I have a feeling he would re-sign here. It does depend on the cost though, I'm not a firm believe of over paying at the deadline for major players.
As I have said in other threads, my focus is on Iginla. He is not a rental, but might be available at the deadline if CGY is still at the bottom. Likewise for Umberger and Clarkson, the other two players I'd be interested in.

Quote:
I don't think any adjustments can be made this year to turn us from the dark horse to the favourite. For you to suggest it, is kinda silly imo.
With this kind of attitude, might as well be sellers. Instead of risking a dark horse type of PO that doesn't bring us to the finals again, might as well sell some players, like AK and Hammer.
But that would be as stupid as saying no adjustments can be made this year.
We don't have to wait for Free Agency every year in order to make adjustments. Rentals also might not be the only available players at the deadline. Teams like CGY, that might be thinking of a rebuild, could opt to stock up on picks and prospects.

I guess we will see. As I said, my interest is on Iginla, Umberger and Clarkson, who all have at least 1 extra year on their contract.
Quote:
I agree he's been mishandled this year by JM. But if you compare

2009-10 AK to 2010-11 AK, 2010 AK is disappointing, he's improved on last year even though he's been demoted by JM.

If all our players improved over last year, I'd be happy. He will never be a getzlaf, people expecting that are only setting themselves up for failure. He's a top 6 winger that will get you 20ish goals a year. He's not a premiere player, he never will be.
AK is more talented than a 20goal plateau. Kovalev was disappointing most of the time, but he did pull out full potential years every now and then. Even if people know that Kovy will give you one game out of 3, they are still disappointed when he does just that. Same thing is happening with A.Ko. He could hit 60pts and 25-30G, he still can as he's been on 30game hot streaks where he produces at about 1pt/gp. With half the year left and 23pts, he could still reach a good amount.
I don't think he's having a bad year, his points total could be higher. Like I said, I'm disappointed in the way Martin handled him.

In any event, he will likely be gone by next year. I'd rather we move him at some point between now and the deadline and get a better player for our top 6. He is a RFA and so, his value is already higher.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
FrankMTL

Everytime somebody says or writes "Do you believe" I think of that damn Vancouver Olympics commercial where the little girl says "Do you believe?" at the end. Stupid olympics and their propaganda...

Oh, but back on topic..I believe!

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

I always believe in this team. No matter what.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Joe Cole

I believe this team is a 7th to 10 place team.

I hope for the best, but realize this team is not as good as their early season record, nor as bad as their latest road trip.

Just ask yourself which team is the division would you trade top 2 lines, top four 4 and goaltender for. You will see, there are teams ahead of the Habs.

It does not mean that you cannot get a groove and ride up the standings, but this is not a top notch team, just a mid pack. And I love the jersey anyways.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Is this the year?

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:12 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

Wasn't it you who suggested moving him to the Gomez line in order to try and get two lines going? That Gomez needed competent wingers and if only for a few games it would be unlikely to hinder AK's success if he didn't click with him. Maybe I have you mixed up.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 03:44 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I believe that we are going through some hard times right now

I know it's just a slump though...every team has their highs and lows

It's a good thing we were on our low cuz this only means that the high is about to kick in

w00t

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote