HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Selänne boys

Old
10-05-2011, 08:23 AM
ThinMcWhistle

vCash: 500
Selänne boys

So can we start the hype for Teemu's boys yet? Haven't heard much about their progress lately, do they possess any of the skill inherent in the family genes? Selanne's eldest son, Eemil, is now 15.

Only article I could find was this one way back from 2008.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...65448_jk.shtml

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Jere26

In my opinion it is very remarkable that an article was published today in iltalehti concerning the Selänne boys, nearly at the same time you opened this thread.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...16664_jk.shtml

I feel really bad in 'online stalking' those kids, but here is his profile
http://www.anaheimducksgoalhighschoo...ubseason=50405

Jere26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:52 AM
World Is Not Phaneuf

If Eemil ends up becoming a great player, is he going to represent Finland or the US in international competitions?

These kids have lived their whole lives in the US and it seems that the Selänne family will stay in California even after Teemu's pro career is over.

Last edited by World Is Not Phaneuf: 10-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.
World Is Not Phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by timanGi View Post
If Eemil ends up becoming a great player, is he going to represent Finland or the US in international competitions?

These kids have lived their whole lives in the US and it seems that the Selänne family will stay in California even after Teemu's pro career is over.
I'm pretty sure they would represent Finland.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:46 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere26 View Post
In my opinion it is very remarkable that an article was published today in iltalehti concerning the Selänne boys, nearly at the same time you opened this thread.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/20...16664_jk.shtml

I feel really bad in 'online stalking' those kids, but here is his profile
http://www.anaheimducksgoalhighschoo...ubseason=50405
LOL, yeah I must admit that I did read that particular article before making the post. It doesn't have much information regarding their progress as far as prospects go. At 15, you'd think that if Eemil was an exceptional talent, you would have already heard about him as within a few years he would become draft eligible.

As for if they would play for the US, of Finland... That would be anybody's guess. I would suspect that Teemu (who is a very patriotic Finn) in his heart would like for his boys to represent Finland, but I could also see the boys representing the US. No word yet on if they have been involved in the US development program? There seems to be very little information surrounding them on the net.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:

"Teemu on aiemmin kertonut pohtineensa, että poikien on paras elää nuoruusvuodet turvallisessa koti-Suomessa. Hän on suunnitellut perheen muuttavan kokonaan Suomeen sitten, kun pojat alkavat olla seurusteluiässä."

Translation: Teemu has been thinking that once the boys are in their "dating stage", the family would move to Finland permanently"

http://www.mtv3.fi/viihde/uutiset/mu...3530?vancouver

Old
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Merya
Finland u20 Champion

I doubt the Selänne kids will become NHL players. They're not really showing anything that would indicate so. Kurri's kids didn't become hockey stars either.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merya View Post
I doubt the Selänne kids will become NHL players. They're not really showing anything that would indicate so. Kurri's kids didn't become hockey stars either.
Did the Kurri twins even play hockey at all? I've never heard anything about them playing competitive hockey.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:51 AM
ES

They played but weren't playing anymore in U16 level (that's where Finnish teams start to play for national titles)

They were 13 when Jari retired I think.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
They played but weren't playing anymore in U16 level (that's where Finnish teams start to play for national titles)

They were 13 when Jari retired I think.
I think they switched to tennis before 15 or one of them did. Junior hockey wasn't at the level in California when they were kids where it is now, I think Teemu's kids are better trained and playing against better competition than Jari's boys.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 06:34 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

I haven't heard a thing about any of them in following US youth hockey. If the eldest is only playing California high school hockey at the age of 15, I'd say the odds of him being a high end hockey player are close to zero. Heck, there's a female forward on his team.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I haven't heard a thing about any of them in following US youth hockey. If the eldest is only playing California high school hockey at the age of 15, I'd say the odds of him being a high end hockey player are close to zero. Heck, there's a female forward on his team.
You should remember that Eemil is only a freshman ( yet second in points, hes best player in team currently by far ). Hes good in all zones, he has speed and nice vision. There's many CHL teams after him and i have heard that he will be going to canada next year.

EDIT: Also Eemil has stated that hes main goal is to become professional hockeyplayer. This kid is already working three times harder than any kid of hes age. He's doing the exact same workout routine than Teemu's doing at summertime, he's mentally stronger than any kid of hes age and the way Teemu raised him, he's like mirror image of he's father ( not game wise ). I'm going to be bit disappointed if this kid doesn't make in to the NHL someday.

Last edited by Leehh: 12-14-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
MiGician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
You should remember that Eemil is only a freshman ( yet second in points, hes best player in team currently by far ). Hes good in all zones, he has speed and nice vision. There's many CHL teams after him and i have heard that he will be going to canada next year.

EDIT: Also Eemil has stated that hes main goal is to become professional hockeyplayer. This kid is already working three times harder than any kid of hes age. He's doing the exact same workout routine than Teemu's doing at summertime, he's mentally stronger than any kid of hes age and the way Teemu raised him, he's like mirror image of he's father ( not game wise ). I'm going to be bit disappointed if this kid doesn't make in to the NHL someday.
Sounds great

Is Eemil born in 1996? If he is I can't wait seeing him play in U18 World Championships in 2014 when the championships will be played in Finland.

MiGician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:26 AM
FINNtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post

Thanks for the update, Eemil.

FINNtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
QnebO

I really hope teemus boys feel the finnish blood in their veins and heart! Would be painfull to see Selänne score in wrong net some day..

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:27 PM
Password

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
I really hope teemus boys feel the finnish blood in their veins and heart! Would be painfull to see Selänne score in wrong net some day..
What have I missed?

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:11 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:

His oldest son was born in Winnipeg, so he'd have to choose between Canada and Finland.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:16 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
His oldest son was born in Winnipeg, so he'd have to choose between Canada and Finland.
He doesn't have Canadian nationality. It's USA/Finland

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:41 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Actually he has Canadian citizenship.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...135787538.html

Quote:
"Teemu left and came back and we delivered Eemil here. We lived here for one week and then moved to California," she said, noting her eldest is the only member of the family with Canadian citizenship.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:45 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
He has Canadian citizenship because he was born in Canada.

Quote:
In general, everyone born in Canada from 1947 or later acquires Canadian citizenship at birth. The only exceptions concern children born to diplomats, where additional requirements apply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...irth_in_Canada

Sirpa Selanne even discusses it in this article:

Quote:
The wife of the Finnish Flash and mother to their four children spent nearly four years of her life here and she had no desire to leave back in February of 1996. That's when her husband was traded to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and she was nine months pregnant with their first child, son Eemil, now 15.

"Teemu left and came back and we delivered Eemil here. We lived here for one week and then moved to California," she said, noting her eldest is the only member of the family with Canadian citizenship.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...135787538.html

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
ES

I believe if they become a good hockey players, they have to play in Finnish leagues for two years until they can represent Finnish national team.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:29 AM
QnebO

Quote:
I believe if they become a good hockey players, they have to play in Finnish leagues for two years until they can represent Finnish national team.
Never heard of that, I've heard your just not allowed to have played in any other national team. Leagues wont matter.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:32 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Considering they do have Finnish citizenship, they can do that from the boot as long as they don't represent other countries.

Actually it would make several kinds of sense to pick Finland. Less competition, yet equal if not even bigger chance to win an international title one day. At least if compared to the US. (Canada is a wholly another deal of course with far more competition and way larger chance to win something big one day.) And then there's the daddy issue...

But parentage doesn't always define everything. As a slightly related note, has it been stated anywhere how a certain Sasha Barkov Senior feels about his son's national jersey of choice?

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

There is another thing..

Representing the US or Canada they get to skip the letter from SA. Int.

Raimo Sillanpää is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:10 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää View Post
There is another thing..

Representing the US or Canada they get to skip the letter from SA. Int.
Umm? They have US/Canadian nationality, thats enough to skip that crap

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote