Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Finland @ 2012 U20WJC's

Old
11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Password

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
On the powerplay? He seems to do most damage playing on the point. Also, since Hakanpää has played in front of the goal on the powerplays (on the first unit) since last year's U-18 WJC, I'd assume they'll keep him there since it' obviously has worked.
Hakanpää in front of the net in PP, that's news to me, actually. Isn't Salomäki a better fit for that role? I mean Salomäki's offensive instincts is way better than Hakanpää's. But Hakanpää is a big guy though...

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 06:28 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Somehow I doubt Hakanpää is going to see much PP time despite being successfully employed there earlier. He'll be one of the few players in this team who can be utilized in a pure defensive role. We have plenty of variations for PP so it'll be far easier to patch the hole he leaves there as compared to finding a guy who can pull the PK duties if his TOI blows out of proportion.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
Hakanpää in front of the net in PP, that's news to me, actually. Isn't Salomäki a better fit for that role? I mean Salomäki's offensive instincts is way better than Hakanpää's. But Hakanpää is a big guy though...
Scored his points on the pp mostly in the U-20 tournament last week, one of them in front of the goal. Based on the videos of the goals, seems to roam around between the point and front of the goal.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

when is the final roster made or has it been released already??

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Password

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
when is the final roster made or has it been released already??
The roster will be released in about 4 weeks.

Old
11-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Password

My WJC team:

Donskoi - Granlund - Pulkkinen

Ma.Granlund - Salomäki - Armia

Teräväinen - Barkov - Ruuttu

Hännikäinen - Mustonen - Åsten

Partanen(?)

Määttä - Riikola

Hakanpää - Pokka

Ristolainen - Auvinen

Teppo(?)

Gibson
Aittokallio

Maybe the Granlund brothers should play together, they are showing good chemistry, then switch Donskoi to the 2nd line.
Also you can switch between Barkov and Mustonen, maybe put Barkov in 4th line?
Don't know about Partanen's status, is he good enough for this team, he's not been impressive in Mississauga.

Old
11-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

So I guess we can forget Teräväinen from the WJC line ups: http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/show...&postcount=141

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
So I guess we can forget Teräväinen from the WJC line ups: http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/show...&postcount=141
Well that sucks. Hoping that it's nothing too serious. Back problems could be a pain in the ass... Or back

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Raipe has these lines in top 9 in his mind:

Ma.Granlund-Mi.Granlund-Pulkkinen
Donskoi-Salomäki-Armia
Mustonen-Barkov-Ruuttu
After Teräväinen got hurt, it's obvious that these players will be in the top 9. Armia seems to be finally warming up, just in time. But I have to say, that there are some issues about those lines. No grit in the first line, no scoring threat in the third line and I would rather see Mustonen at center. How about:

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Ma. Granlund - Mustonen - Salomäki
Ruuttu - Barkov - Armia

PP1: Donskoi - Granlund - Granlund - Pulkkinen - Määttä
PP2: Armia - Barkov - Salomäki - Pokka - Hakanpää

- Donskoi brings the needed grit and the chemistry is there. These guys have played together a lot.

- Ma. Granlund and Salomäki have played together before and they both play as wingers at their FEL teams. Dynamic and speedy Mustonen may be a good fit between those guys. That line is is good combination of skill, speed and size.

- Armia loves to keep the puck and gets to be the go-to-guy in the third line. Ruuttu and Barkov can handle the defensive responsibilites and Sasha can pass the puck to Armia at full speed. A classic grinder-playmaker-sniper line.

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:59 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Ma. Granlund - Mustonen - Salomäki
Ruuttu - Barkov - Armia

PP1: Donskoi - Granlund - Granlund - Pulkkinen - Määttä
PP2: Armia - Barkov - Salomäki - Pokka - Hakanpää
I like these lines. One can't be sure whether it's what Helminen possibly has in mind, but they're pretty well thought out nevertheless.

My only gripe is Hakanpää on #PP2. If I understood correctly, you're placing him on the line, which is not his strongest suit, especially since we're likely to be have better options there as well. Hakanpää's greatest successes on man advantage has been when he's been the screener. This team will have better options on the line in Ristolainen or Riikola.

On a related note, I noticed something interesting which might play into account when figuring out the PP combos. We have abundance of righties this time around. Pokka, Ristolainen, Riikola and Hakanpää all play with right-side hook. Määttä is pretty much our only higher-tier d-man who's a lefty. It's a curious problem, since the usual woe tends to be the opposite with righties being a minority.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Eidyia

Joonas "Russian" Donskoi and Armia have been disappointments this season (Who could have guessed?).

Salomäki has been carrying the Kärpät-team (tells more about the team than Salomäki) so far and he should be at the first line with Mi.Granlund. Armia maybe the third for that line since he has been picking up his play lately (summer binge for Armia is finally over).

Teemu "Bust" Pulkkinen is still good enough for this tournament and he'll likely score a few pp-goals. For his center we've got a guy from Skellefteå. That's right - Sverige. We suck so bad at producing any talents that we are sending them to Sweden. Good luck anyway Mustonen. Finland's second line is completed with Markus "Mikael" Granlund. You might ask why and rightfully so. I hope the Flames didn't draft him because of his lastname. I'm sure they didn't.

In the defence and in the last six we have bunch on too youngs and bunch of tomorrows Euro stars. But I'll proceed with the defence later.

Good luck Finland.

Last edited by Eidyia: 11-22-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Eidyia

khhh

Old
11-22-2011, 07:01 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidyia View Post
I hope the Panthers didn't draft him because of his lastname.
Calgary.

And while "Bust" Pulkkinen seems to have been struggling a bit in his club team, he's been the leading player in national jersey in absence of The Stamp. Those two are slated to pair up in these games for more awesomeness.

research

Old
11-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Calgary.

And while "Bust" Pulkkinen seems to have been struggling a bit in his club team, he's been the leading player in national jersey in absence of The Stamp. Those two are slated to pair up in these games for more awesomeness.

research
Yes, Calgary of course, thank you.

Pulkkinen only and still has his shot, while Granlund, Armia, Vatanen and Salomäki have all make improvements in their games. He's not going to play a game with the Red Wings.

To be honest I dont think Salomäki or Donskoi from Kärpät will be there either but Junttila will be the beast!

Old
11-22-2011, 07:14 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Pulkkinen only and still has his shot, while Granlund, Armia, Vatanen and Salomäki have all make improvements in their games. He's not going to play a game with the Red Wings.
I have to admit this prediction is not completely without basis. He's a good prospect but I wouldn't be surprised if he was "only" AHL/KHL good. For this tournament however, his projected position is still on the top line.

Quote:
To be honest I dont think Salomäki or Donskoi from Kärpät will be there either but Junttila will be the beast!
I take you're referring to the NHL and not this tournament, since Junttila is overage.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-22-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old
11-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
I have to admit this prediction is not completely without basis.
I take you're referring to the NHL and not this tournament, since Junttila is overage.
Yes NHL, not this tournament sorry.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Eidyia

We'll suck anyway.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Needles

Quote:
Yes, Calgary of course, thank you.

Pulkkinen only and still has his shot, while Granlund, Armia, Vatanen and Salomäki have all make improvements in their games
Absolute nonsense. Pulkkinen sees the ice well and can make hard, defense splitting passes. Last year Lahti scored some highlight reel goals from those passes. He's having a some kind of sophomore slump, but the talent is there. You have to remember that Jokerit are a much deeper team this year with three scoring lines. Last year Jokerit only had one good line (Lahti-Kerälä-Pulkkinen) so they played a lot of minutes. Lahti's injuries had an effect on Pulkkinen's game at Jokerit, but like FiLe said, he's been our #1 player at U20's so far this year (7. 6+3=9).

Quote:
He's not going to play a game with the Red Wings.
Well, it's difficult to say. It's highly unlikely that he will be NHL ready next spring, like Granlund & Vatanen. But some players reach their peaks sooner and develop quicker than others. I can't see the future and say how good Pulkkinen will be in five years. IIRC, Filppula wasn't that much better player when he left. And Leino was supposed come back after the first training camp. Time will tell.

Last edited by Needles: 11-22-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
ToBBa

I think Armia should be in the first line with Mi Granlund. Armia would get most benefit about that. Granlund always boosts his linemates' game. BUT only question for me is that can Armia play as left winger? Cause it's pretty hard to choose between Pulkkinen and Armia. OFC it doesn't matter which one would be playing which side. Anyway, here would be my lines:

Armia - Mi Granlund - Pulkkinen
Pokka - Määttä

Donskoi - Salomäki - Ma Granlund
Hakanpää - Ristolainen

Ruuttu - Barkov - Mustonen
(if and when Teuvo is away)
Riikola - Auvinen

I don't even try to build the 4th line, too hard

ToBBa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:05 PM
edd1e

Quote:
We'll suck anyway.
What a statement! Glad you got that out of your chest..

Back to topic:

I'd like to see Pulkkinen and Mikael separated because both are pretty elite dishing the puck.

Markus - Mikael - Armia
Donskoi - Salomäki - Pulkkinen
Ruuttu - Barkov - Mustonen/Teräväinen

My reasons are similar to ToBBa's. Armia needs someone good to feed him the puck and Pulkkinen has guys that he can feed the puck in Donskoi and Salomäki.

Or..

Markus - Mikael - Donskoi
Armia - Salomäki - Pulkkinen

Now we got one banger (Salomäki,Donskoi) in both lines..

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

If you think Armia needs a good puckdisher but don't wish to break up the MIG-Pulu -tandem, then perhaps Joppe should be paired up with Mustonen. He's not the Stamp, but good enough for a secondary scoring line.

So...

Donskoi/MAG - MIG - Pulkkinen
MAG/Donskoi - Mustonen - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Ruuttu

would be the top-9 in this case.

Old
11-23-2011, 04:38 PM
YARR123

Quote:
If you think Armia needs a good puckdisher but don't wish to break up the MIG-Pulu -tandem, then perhaps Joppe should be paired up with Mustonen. He's not the Stamp, but good enough for a secondary scoring line.

So...

Donskoi/MAG - MIG - Pulkkinen
MAG/Donskoi - Mustonen - Armia
Salomäki - Barkov - Ruuttu

would be the top-9 in this case.
I like this, Mustonen should definately be tested out as a center, he's been playing as 3rd line center in one of SEL's strongest teams, and he's done very well. I think he could be better at center than Salomäki, who's played this year entirely at wing, unlike Mustonen. Mustonen is very straightforward, is probably the best skater on the team and is aggressive on the forecheck.

This would leave us with a clear 1st line, Donskoi/MiG/Pulkkinen, and two balanced secondary scoring lines with plenty of skill, speed and 2-way game. Especially the 3rd line should be very good defensively.

I'm becoming to think that maybe it would be good to "put all the eggs in one basket" so to speak and put Donskoi, Mi Granlund and Pulkkinen in the first line, there's still plenty left for the 2nd and 3rd lines.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 06:36 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I'm becoming to think that maybe it would be good to "put all the eggs in one basket" so to speak and put Donskoi, Mi Granlund and Pulkkinen in the first line, there's still plenty left for the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Indeed. It's what I've been saying all along. There's no need to spread the talent. Sure, we're likely to have one "super" line that's still above the rest, but in this case, this does not make it a one-line team.

Old
11-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Eidyia

Salomäki has been clearly better than Donskoi this year. If either of them deserves to be in the top6 it's obviously Salomäki.

I know Salomäki has a reputation of being a two-way forward or a grinder but he has been producing goals and assists this season and right now he's a better player than Donskoi.

Old
11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Salomäki has been clearly better than Donskoi this year. If either of them deserves to be in the top6 it's obviously Salomäki.
It's not about "deserving", but where a given player can best serve the team. If Salomäki is tried with Granlund and looks good with Granlund, then it's logical he plays with Granlund. But if he's tried with Barkov and looks good with Barkov, then he plays with Barkov.

In the men's WHC, Pesonen-Immonen-Granlund -line was namely our third in rotation, yet it sure as heck didn't look like it hampered their game a lot, did it? Line numbering is a hugely arbitrary thing on a team like this when there's talent in abundance. The one with the Stamp will naturally be our top line in both name and TOI sense, but below that it doesn't matter much who's in the 2nd and who's in the 3rd. We have so many skilled guys available that we don't really have a top six. What we've got is a top nine.

I agree that Salomäki appears to be in better form than Donskoi right now, but it's definitely not an insult to him even if he is placed in a line that is not namely our 1st or 2nd. Whoever they place him next to in whichever line, that guy is no slouch. Of course, the same applies to every other forward in this team.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-25-2011 at 11:45 AM.