Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Team Finland @ 2012 U20WJC's

Old
11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
romelson

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to romelson
Mustonen had another assist tonight. 4 points in 12 games, but the first seven games he pretty much just warming the bench.

4 points may not sound much, but he's ahead of many swedes that are headed for the WJC, in the "scoreboard for juniors playing in elitserien". I would be surprised if Mustonen doesnt make the final finnish WJC squad.
http://stats.swehockey.se/1112/html/.../page0015.html

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:52 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
Mustonen had another assist tonight. 4 points in 12 games, but the first seven games he pretty much just warming the bench.

4 points may not sound much, but he's ahead of many swedes that are headed for the WJC, in the "scoreboard for juniors playing in elitserien". I would be surprised if Mustonen doesnt make the final finnish WJC squad.
http://stats.swehockey.se/1112/html/.../page0015.html
I think he will be in the team but the competition is very hard since every foward plays fel as an regular player. He's very fast, agile and works hard in the D. He would be ideal 3rd line Winger for us. Our center position is pretty stacked.

I have mustonen in 3rd line with Barkov and Teräväinen. That line has serious skill added with good two-way game.

Donskoi-Mi. Granlund- Pulkkinen
Ma. Granlund-Salomäki-Armia
Mustonen-Barkov-Teräväinen
X-Ruuttu-Partanen

Pretty stacked. D isn't so stacked but potential. 3rd line could be better than 2nd. Depends on Armia.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Rimbe

Ma. Granlund - Mi. Granlund C - Pulkkinen
Teräväinen - Barkov - Armia
Donskoi A - Mustonen - Salomäki
Partanen - Ruuttu - Åsten

Määttä A - Ristolainen
Riikola - Hakanpää
Vainonen - Pokka

Aittokallio
Gibson

I think our team is very good this year. I think we have excellent chance for winning a medal and a good chance to win the whole WJC.

I know that I'm optimistic but when you look that roster I see no reason to be pessimistic.

Rimbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
But seriously... perhaps something like:

Pokka (R) - Riikola (L)
Not that it matters but Riikola is a rightie, his younger brother is a leftie but won’t be a possible candidate until next year. During Summer Challenge in Lake Placid Pulu was quite often at the point on power play, so occasionally that might be his role also at the WJC’s, especially because he has the best slapper in the team. Salomäki should have a big role on short handed play. Now that there seems to be quite a few options for centre forward position, has anyone considered the possibility of moving Mi.Granlund to wing for a freer role?

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Not that it matters but Riikola is a rightie, his younger brother is a leftie but won’t be a possible candidate until next year.
Drat. I'm sure I looked it up somewhere and it said L. Or then it was his brother I accidentally checked.

But if he's a righty as well, that means we seem to have tons of options for point.

Quote:
Now that there seems to be quite a few options for centre forward position, has anyone considered the possibility of moving Mi.Granlund to wing for a freer role?
It's a curious idea, though I don't really see the abundance of natural centers, especially for a top-six role. Sure, we have players who CAN play centre like Salomäki, MAG, Mustonen, Barkov and have some puck-handling skills but I don't see how any of them are more natural in it than The Stamp, apart from Barkov perhaps.

The thing is, you don't want a worse guy centering Granlund than what he is, so that leaves very little options in fact. The only fellow I'd pretty much see good enough centering Granlund right now is Barkov. Complete the line with, say, Pulu and sure, it would be STACKED to all hell, but I wonder how the rest of the units would look then.

Well, not so bad actually. Even with MG and Barkov both at centre, you still need at least one of Salomäki/MAG/Mustonen centering an offensive unit so... well. Still, while it's a curious idea, the reality of it happening is somewhere between 0 and 0,1%.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
It's a curious idea, though I don't really see the abundance of natural centers, especially for a top-six role. Sure, we have players who CAN play centre like Salomäki, MAG, Mustonen, Barkov and have some puck-handling skills but I don't see how any of them are more natural in it than The Stamp, apart from Barkov perhaps.

The thing is, you don't want a worse guy centering Granlund than what he is, so that leaves very little options in fact. The only fellow I'd pretty much see good enough centering Granlund right now is Barkov. Complete the line with, say, Pulu and sure, it would be STACKED to all hell, but I wonder how the rest of the units would look then.

Well, not so bad actually. Even with MG and Barkov both at centre, you still need at least one of Salomäki/MAG/Mustonen centering an offensive unit so... well. Still, while it's a curious idea, the reality of it happening is somewhere between 0 and 0,1%.
Armia, Donskoi and Pulkkinen are the only natural wingers on this new roster. Salomäki, Barkov, Ruuttu, Mustonen, Paajanen, Hämäläinen, Aaltonen, Teräväinen, Kuronen and Ma.Granlund are all more or less centre forwards by training. They have also played that position at some point this season and for several games apart from Ma.Granlund. This naturally doesn’t mean that they could all play centre forward successfully at the WJC’s, but I believe that there are at least some options.

At the start of previous WJC’s our first three centre forwards were Nättinen, Haula and Tuominen (was later replaced by Salomäki). I think that with Barkov, immensely improved Salomäki and either Ruuttu or Mustonen our centre core would pretty much be equal to last year. This led me to think about the possibility of moving Mikke to wing. Of course it’s a long shot, but I like to monkey around with different scenarios.

We will play against Canada and USA during the preliminary round. That means that centre forwards need to be tough in front of both nets if we desire to even think about winning. This led me to think about the possibility of having Ruuttu centre the line with Mikke and Pulu on the wings. At times Ruuttu probably wouldn’t be on the same page with his linemates, but that shouldn’t be anything new for Mikke and Pulu.

So another one of my hopeless fantasy rosters;
Mi.Granlund – Ruuttu – Pulkkinen
Donskoi – Barkov – Ma.Granlund/Mustonen
Teräväinen/Aaltonen – Salomäki – Armia
Whatever – suits – Helminen

Old
11-02-2011, 06:23 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
We will play against Canada and USA during the preliminary round. That means that centre forwards need to be tough in front of both nets if we desire to even think about winning. This led me to think about the possibility of having Ruuttu centre the line with Mikke and Pulu on the wings. At times Ruuttu probably wouldn’t be on the same page with his linemates, but that shouldn’t be anything new for Mikke and Pulu.
Yeah, I can see what you're going for there, and I immediately thought, "Is it worth the tradeoff?"

I mean, Granlund is going to be driving force of his line, no matter whether on centre or wing. I can see how it might give some release to his offensive capabilities for not having to be the first man on the lookout downwards. But like you said, there's always the chance that whoever's going to be that "mirage centre" so to speak won't always be there to complement the line chemistry, so there are obviously risks there as well.

It'd certainly be nice if we had some more meat in there, but the thing is, Granlund isn't weak in defensive zone either. While he's not in par with the more defensive-minded players of the game and it's not his strongest suit in the overall package, he certainly isn't a liability.

Besides, Finland's number #64 is very likely going to be under special guard since everybody knows by now what he can do. If your main playmaker is under constant watch, what you need to overcome it is first and foremost solid line chemistry. Physical capabilities are a secondary concern in that situation. In fact, good line chemistry is superior to any other ups and downs in almost ANY situation.

I'm not actually worried about Granlund not adapting for winger position, I'd rather say he'd do it quite painlessly if moved there. What I am worried about however is the new centre either not always being in the loop with his wingers or how it might affect the rest of the lineup. In worst case scenario, you make the top line work flawlessly but turn lines 2-4 into one big mess in the process.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old
11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Drat. I'm sure I looked it up somewhere and it said L. Or then it was his brother I accidentally checked.
Jääkiekkolehti had him listed as a lefty but in the player profile mentioned him as a righty. I guess you read that too?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Yeah, I can see what you're going for there, and I immediately thought, "Is it worth the tradeoff?"
Speaking about tradeoffs and solid line chemistries, Donskoi and Ma.Granlund are the ones that have so far proven to have a bit of chemistry with Mi.Granlund and Pulkkinen. The offence would flow mostly through Mikke and Pulu anyways, so I’m not sure if it’s wise to waste Donskoi there as a 3rd wheel for just making space when he could be of more use in a more primary role in another line. Also having the top 92’s together would concentrate a lot of the experience and on ice leadership to the same line, which in turn would leave the other lines noticeably weaker. Not a good thing against teams like Canada, USA and Sweden that have 4 strong lines.

Having Ma.Granlund as a 3rd wheel would have its perks, because I’m sure that the line would be pretty good on the rush / counter-attack, and also on power play provided that Pulu moves to the point and there’s a stronger player with hopefully some capabilities of screening the goalie (I’ve seen Määttä move in front of the net during some power play situations, so there might not even be a need for a 4th forward). On the other hand having 3 smallish forwards in a same line wouldn’t be ideal in a North American rink, especially because Ma.Granlund and Pulkkinen are not known for their abilities of winning a lot of puck battles or keeping possession of the puck in tough situations along the boards.

This leads me to think that if Helminen decides to have Mikke and Pulu together, the 3rd wheel could possibly be someone else than Donskoi or Ma.Granlund, maybe even Ruuttu. Ruuttu and Pulkkinen are teammates and also played 2 games together at the Lake Placid tournament before Ruuttu was forced to pull out because of sickness.

Last edited by Tormentor: 11-03-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old
11-03-2011, 02:15 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
And another assist for Mustonen just now.
Maybe I should say 'sorry' for flooding this thread with Mustonen updates.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:55 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Keep 'em coming! And reports on every small detail please!

Would you say he's a similar player to Patrik Cehlin? Both made a name for themself after being passed in the first round, both play in SEL, both small and incredibly fast and hard working... And hopefully Mustonen gets picked next time I was actually really hoping him to get picked last year already

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
thomast

Quote:
It's good. Don't stop updating. Can you comment about his game? negatives and positives.

Last edited by thomast: 11-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Speaking about tradeoffs and solid line chemistries, Donskoi and Ma.Granlund are the ones that have so far proven to have a bit of chemistry with Mi.Granlund and Pulkkinen. The offence would flow mostly through Mikke and Pulu anyways, so I’m not sure if it’s wise to waste Donskoi there as a 3rd wheel for just making space when he could be of more use in a more primary role in another line. Also having the top 92’s together would concentrate a lot of the experience and on ice leadership to the same line, which in turn would leave the other lines noticeably weaker. Not a good thing against teams like Canada, USA and Sweden that have 4 strong lines.
Now that I think of it, didn't Hannu Jortikka try something similar a couple of years ago by setting up Toni Rajala and MiG together with Teemu Hartikainen? On personal level, I consider that tournament a success for Härski, but other than that, having a pure big-body power forward there just threw the line balance as a whole completely off the kilter.

Besides, you really want to have your best and most experienced players in the same line since I suspect the TOIs aren't exactly going to be balanced with this team. Whoever's going to play with The Stamp is going to end up with tons of minutes, so having the player who appears overall most suitable in there is the one you'd also like to have there. While I'm normally a proponent for more fleshed out lines, that's simply not going to happen when you've got a single player who's head and shoulders above all the others - even if the rest of the roster isn't really bad to begin with. No matter whichever way one rolls it, this team's going to revolve around Granlund. And in that situation you really want to have most juice in whichever unit you've got your true bona fide superstar in.

And the argument of rest of the lines being weaker is kind of a moot point, considering there's a clear divide between our top-and-bottom sixes as it is. We already have five players (MIG, Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Armia, Salomäki) who are pretty much locks for first two lines however you roll 'em. And if you complete that second unit of Salomäki and Armia with MAG, you've got a line that's got plenty of experience together from U18 squads.

Which also gets us another good reason of keeping the 92s together. They simply aren't going to be there come next year, so letting them carry this team as a singular unit means you have already laid the groundwork for the next tournament, greatly reducing the need to mix'n'match. And that's actually the way which - apart from having some great yearly classes of course - brought us some neat successes roughly a decade ago. Some of the guys in those squads had been playing in same units since their U16 days.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-03-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Password

No Otto Räty or Fagerudd on the two rosters before WJC??

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Password

No Otto Räty or Fagerudd on the two rosters before WJCs??

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Now that I think of it, didn't Hannu Jortikka try something similar a couple of years ago by setting up Toni Rajala and MiG together with Teemu Hartikainen? On personal level, I consider that tournament a success for Härski, but other than that, having a pure big-body power forward there just threw the line balance as a whole completely off the kilter.
Yes, Pulkkinen was out with that wrist injury (or rather he returned just before the junior leagues went Christmas break. That line never gelled, Hartikainen just wasn't on the same wave length as Rajala and The Stamp. The latter two had gotten used to getting the puck back at just the right place and moment when they passed it to third player on the line (Pulkkinen) and every attack basically stalled when Hartikainen got the puck. But he was good in the corners and in front of the goal, just should've played with different line mates.

Old
11-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Jortikka did try a line like that, but over the course of history so have thousands of other coaches as well. Some of them worked, some of them didn’t. It largely depends on the players whether it’s going to work or not. That line didn’t unify and Hartikainen wasn’t the only one to be blamed. Mikke had played wing almost the whole season and had trouble playing centre, in addition he wasn’t the same player he’s now. Like in all of his 3 WJC’s, Rajala was a no show and the biggest problem of that line, he shied away from contact and hardly advanced the play. The 1st line performed better once Rajala was replaced by Nättinen, but sadly it was already too late at that point. It’s possible that Rajala would’ve been a similar problem even if his linemates had been Mikke and Pulu. Also we have to remember that Ruuttu is a slightly different player in comparison to Hartikainen.

Quote:
Besides, you really want to have your best and most experienced players in the same line since I suspect the TOIs aren't exactly going to be balanced with this team. Whoever's going to play with The Stamp is going to end up with tons of minutes, so having the player who appears overall most suitable in there is the one you'd also like to have there. While I'm normally a proponent for more fleshed out lines, that's simply not going to happen when you've got a single player who's head and shoulders above all the others - even if the rest of the roster isn't really bad to begin with. No matter whichever way one rolls it, this team's going to revolve around Granlund. And in that situation you really want to have most juice in whichever unit you've got your true bona fide superstar in.
Mikke is going to get a lot of ice time, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s going to share it with exactly the same line mates all the time. He could very well be playing with different players during key shifts of the game, power play and short handed situations.

Top players are going to play more, but it doesn’t mean they can’t play on different lines on even strength, especially if Helminen adapts a similar approach to last year where the top-3 lines played roughly equal minutes during even strength. In some games it was the 3rd line (Donskoi-Salomäki-Junttila) that created the most scoring chances on even strength.

Our goalies probably aren’t going to win games for us just by themselves like Mika Noronen, Ari Ahonen, Kari Lehtonen, Hannu Toivonen and Tuukka Rask have done in some years. In addition our defence is young and inexperienced. Therefore it’s important that all lines (at least the first 3) get the puck deep in the offensive zone, create continuous pressure, scoring chances, and cause penalties to the opponent. Offence will be this team’s best defence, and it won’t work as well if the top guns are in the same basket. We can’t afford to be in our defensive zone for two thirds of the time. Also, if our top-3 lines are strong similarly to last year, it doesn’t matter if one of them has a weaker game or is shadowed, because the other 2 are most likely still going strong.

If team Finland is successful, the first 6 games are going to be played in 9 days (from preliminary round through quarter-finals to semi-finals). TOI’s aren’t going to be balanced, but it would be beneficial to divide the ice time a bit more evenly is some games, so that the top players have some gas left in the tank in the final games of the tournament.

Quote:
And the argument of rest of the lines being weaker is kind of a moot point, considering there's a clear divide between our top-and-bottom sixes as it is. We already have five players (MIG, Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Armia, Salomäki) who are pretty much locks for first two lines however you roll 'em. And if you complete that second unit of Salomäki and Armia with MAG, you've got a line that's got plenty of experience together from U18 squads.
Donskoi was a top-6 forward last year, but still played on the 3rd line on even strength. Things can be executed in many different ways. It all depends on Helminen and which approach he finds to be best for this team.

I’ve been repeating this a lot, but as long as all the top forwards are healthy I’d like to see the top-3 lines to be built around strong duos. Maybe something like this for example;

X – MIG – Pulkkinen
Donskoi – Barkov – Y
Z – Salomäki - Armia

I guess it’s clear that we see things a bit differently, but I believe that the divide isn’t as clear as you make it be. MAG, Mustonen, Ruuttu, Teräväinen and Aaltonen have some good qualities as players and have more or less been playing with men lately, so they could easily complete those lines by using their own strengths. And all this wouldn’t prevent Mikke from being the go to guy in game deciding situations.

Quote:
Which also gets us another good reason of keeping the 92s together. They simply aren't going to be there come next year, so letting them carry this team as a singular unit means you have already laid the groundwork for the next tournament, greatly reducing the need to mix'n'match. And that's actually the way which - apart from having some great yearly classes of course - brought us some neat successes roughly a decade ago. Some of the guys in those squads had been playing in same units since their U16 days.
In principle I agree to this, but in some situations other line combinations still work better. If possible, it’s at least good to experiment with other options. This is also what Helminen did during the Summer Challenge in Lake Placid. Donskoi didn’t play with Pulkkinen, but with Armia and Salomäki. MAG didn’t play with Armia and Salomäki, but with Pulkkinen.

Last edited by Tormentor: 11-04-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old
11-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Jokerit Wasp

Will regular YLE screen the games on TV? I notice Finland opens the tourney versus hosts Canada at 1:30pm MST which must be 10:30pm in Finland. I'll be in Finland over Xmas, so fingers crossed i can watch it!

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Rimbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp View Post
Will regular YLE screen the games on TV? I notice Finland opens the tourney versus hosts Canada at 1:30pm MST which must be 10:30pm in Finland. I'll be in Finland over Xmas, so fingers crossed i can watch it!
It's Canal + which will show the game or katsomo.fi in the internet. And you have to pay unless you go to place like Sports Academy etc. where is Canal + channel

Rimbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbe39 View Post
It's Canal + which will show the game or katsomo.fi in the internet. And you have to pay unless you go to place like Sports Academy etc. where is Canal + channel
Myp2p.eu (current name is wiziwig.tv) had streams for most of Finland's games last year and better quality than the Katsomo ones (which made me regret paying 10€ for one week of service).

Old
11-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Latex*
DM is good

There's most likely also going to be some canadian streams for the game.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post

He's going to get his chance with Jokerit soon.
Thought the same thing as Tormentor when I saw this. Kivisto, Eronen, and Manelius have all had to bide their time the last few years trying to crack the lineup. Is Lindell that far ahead of those three that he'd seize an SM-Liiga spot with Jokerit?

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Jortikka did try a line like that, but over the course of history so have thousands of other coaches as well. Some of them worked, some of them didn’t. It largely depends on the players whether it’s going to work or not. That line didn’t unify and Hartikainen wasn’t the only one to be blamed. Mikke had played wing almost the whole season and had trouble playing centre, in addition he wasn’t the same player he’s now. Like in all of his 3 WJC’s, Rajala was a no show and the biggest problem of that line, he shied away from contact and hardly advanced the play. The 1st line performed better once Rajala was replaced by Nättinen, but sadly it was already too late at that point. It’s possible that Rajala would’ve been a similar problem even if his linemates had been Mikke and Pulu. Also we have to remember that Ruuttu is a slightly different player in comparison to Hartikainen.
Rajala is pretty much an all-purpose forward, he's a complementary player to lines that already have a strong player bonding between the other two players. Bit like Jussi Jokinen. In that line he was pretty much shoehorned to be Granlund's go-to-guy, meaning he had to make himself available first and foremost. That's a position that doesn't exactly encourage physical play, even less when you've already got a wrecking ball playing the other wing. I admit, I'm not fully certain what exactly was the problem with that line, after all I did say that Hartikainen was good in doing what he does. Perhaps part of me is being against for a line roled as what you propose because I can't recall any other occasions either when Granlund would have been truly successful with a pure power forward.

Quote:
Mikke is going to get a lot of ice time, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s going to share it with exactly the same line mates all the time. He could very well be playing with different players during key shifts of the game, power play and short handed situations.
Thanks for the lesson in hockey fundamentals. Special teams matter a great deal and many people who ought to know the game, like our current Men's NT head coach have said that most games are decided out of even strength. Despite this, the groundwork for a healthy and balanced team is built on even strength. You do need your designated team carriers to produce in all situations. Sure, you can scrape by and even win games especially if some darkhorses step up in the lower lines, but you'll still need to cater to the needs of your big names, otherwise you're going to struggle.

Quote:
Top players are going to play more, but it doesn’t mean they can’t play on different lines on even strength, especially if Helminen adapts a similar approach to last year where the top-3 lines played roughly equal minutes during even strength. In some games it was the 3rd line (Donskoi-Salomäki-Junttila) that created the most scoring chances on even strength.
One of my main arguments all this time has been that the odds are this isn't just going to happen here, due to obvious reasons. Last year, our team was a lot more rounded out especially when it came to skill in centre. There was no leading player so evening out the rotation in ES was simply natural progression to work with the tools you had. What we have here is a team that is likely going far more front-loaded and in order to make it work, you do have to take that into account. I don't mean you'll have to kill the top guns with TOI, but like I said, first and foremost, make sure it's them who click first even if that means letting the lower lines hurt a little.

Quote:
Also, if our top-3 lines are strong similarly to last year, it doesn’t matter if one of them has a weaker game or is shadowed, because the other 2 are most likely still going strong.
It's true you can afford one out of three offensive lines to be a little off if the others are producing, but if it's the top one you're hurting in favor of the others (and you do have the tools to fix it), you're still doing something wrong.

Quote:
I guess it’s clear that we see things a bit differently, but I believe that the divide isn’t as clear as you make it be. MAG, Mustonen, Ruuttu, Teräväinen and Aaltonen have some good qualities as players and have more or less been playing with men lately, so they could easily complete those lines by using their own strengths. And all this wouldn’t prevent Mikke from being the go to guy in game deciding situations.
I've not actually been talking about the divide in player skill, it's chemistry I've been ranting on about all this time. The divide is there, because you have players who have far more experience from these situations and they've got certain conventions that are going to play for the team's advantage if they're catered to.

Besides, we do have some great talent that is up and coming to the team, talent that's going to be there even after your current leading players have moved on. I'm not saying they should be left without a "big brother" whether or not it hurts them. I'm saying they can be left without one because unlike earlier, I fully believe they're not going to need one. They're great, skilled guys who are fully able to build their own experience. What I'm granting them here is a huge vote of confidence. The best eggs are in the same basket simply because now, you actually can afford it.

Quote:
In principle I agree to this, but in some situations other line combinations still work better. If possible, it’s at least good to experiment with other options. This is also what Helminen did during the Summer Challenge in Lake Placid. Donskoi didn’t play with Pulkkinen, but with Armia and Salomäki. MAG didn’t play with Armia and Salomäki, but with Pulkkinen.
True, you need to experiment. But you experiment when you're playing in lesser tournaments or exhibition games. When the big bell rings, you're always better off if you've already got something that works.

Besides, it's worth noting that Raipe has never had a chance to experiment with what's going to be his leading player (and won't, due to the Stamp hitting the ice at the Kummola Tournament instead of Vaasa) so it's even more imperative that you hand him the best possible ground to work on from what you have. Experimenting might slink its way back onto the table, but only if that plan A fails.

Old
11-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Thought the same thing as Tormentor when I saw this. Kivisto, Eronen, and Manelius have all had to bide their time the last few years trying to crack the lineup. Is Lindell that far ahead of those three that he'd seize an SM-Liiga spot with Jokerit?
He has qualities that set him apart from the three. He's as big as Kivistö, moves like Eronen and has put up better offensive number than those three did in juniors. The fact that he's playing with Ki-Va again today speaks of his development rate. Manelius has no qualities that set him apart from anyone on the ice, Kivistö is decent defensively and physically but tends to warm up slowly, Eronen is a good skater and above average offensively but has pathetic shot and is smallish.

Old
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
thomast

Otto Räty have been really solid D for tappara.