HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Impact of stripping Drury of the captaincy and giving it to Dubinsky

Old
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
acapps10

vCash: 500
I don't have to elaborate on how horrible Chris Drury has become; we all watch the games, but I really do think that giving Dubinsky the C may be the best thing for him as a player and a leader, and also this team. Dubinsky is easily the best player on this team and he leads by example. The guy just has that look in his eye, hes ready and I think it's time to show Drury where he belongs on this team and allow the younger guys to take control of the club even more. What do you guys think the impact on the team would be if this were to happen?

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

No doubt Drury should be stripped of his captaincy, when you consider his all around value to the Rangers...

Sure, hes still got value as a PK, faceoff and defensive role guy. But hes pretty much non-existent in the offensive zone. I could go into the details but why? We all see it.

But realistically, you cant strip the guy mid-season and expect it to actually benefit the team. Dubinsky is the on-ice leader whether hes got a letter on his sweater or not. Embarrassing Drury in front of his mates and fans is going to have more of a negative impact imo. Theres really no reason to go out of your way to do this. Hes been a good soldier, wants to win and gives it his all. Cant blame him for the deterioration of skills.

You want to rethink the captaincy next offseason? Fine... I also think Drury will have to come out himself and offer that up for it to be handed off the right way, and... im not so sure he would do that tbh.

This is the last thing Torts and the coaching staff worry about, believe me. I think its more important to the fans who the captain is, especially in a city that was so dramatically effected by arguably the best captain in the history of the game.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think it is always good to have that veteran presence that is the presumed "leader". The C doesn't have to go to the best player, which clearly Drury is, but I think that we have such a young team that we need his veteran prescence.

Also, it really doesn't look good to strip him of his captaincy. It casts the organization in a bad light to other players.

01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I would just wait until the offseason at this point.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
No doubt Drury should be stripped of his captaincy, when you consider his all around value to the Rangers...

Sure, hes still got value as a PK, faceoff and defensive role guy. But hes pretty much non-existent in the offensive zone. I could go into the details but why? We all see it.

But realistically, you cant strip the guy mid-season and expect it to actually benefit the team. Dubinsky is the on-ice leader whether hes got a letter on his sweater or not. Embarrassing Drury in front of his mates and fans is going to have more of a negative impact imo. Theres really no reaso nto go out of your way to do this. Hes been a good soldier, wants to win and gives it all. Cant blame him for the deterioration of skills.

This is the last thing Torts and the coaching staff worry about, believe me.
I agree completely. Its not like he doesn't care at all anymore, he's just not the player he was. I don't think it'd be good for anybody right now. When he's gone I'm nearly 100% sure that Dubi, Staal and Callahan will wear the letters in some combination, as they should.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
UDnyr92

I don't necessarily think it would have any impact on the team as a whole. If anything, I'd look for them to become more of a unit, which is tough because the chemistry is already great.

If this situation were to occur, I doubt Drury would act negatively towards the team. As a person, he is a leader in the locker room, so his mentoring mindset would not change. His role would simply change from official team captain to veteran leader.

As for Dubinsky, I think he would legitimately cherish the opportunity. He already acts as a leader, both through is play and through is communication. Being give the official title of team captain would push him further into being the true all around, respected, and talented captain that this team has still been searching for.

Much in favor of this happening, but more than likely, nothing will happen until next season at the earliest. LGR!!

UDnyr92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
useref15

How can you give Dubinsky the C when he doesn't even have an A?

useref15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

I'm all for Dubi as captain, it was recently talked about somewhere else, he's really the most complete player. He does it all. And he's got swag

But to strip a guy of the captaincy and give it to someone else while keeping the original captain around would at best make for some awkward locker room dynamics. Besides, every player I've ever heard speak about Dru says he's a great leader.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I think it is always good to have that veteran presence that is the presumed "leader". The C doesn't have to go to the best player, which clearly Drury is, but I think that we have such a young team that we need his veteran prescence.

Also, it really doesn't look good to strip him of his captaincy. It casts the organization in a bad light to other players.
Agree.
Nothing vs. Dubi, although first vote would be to Callahan.

Give Dubi 1 additional year at $2m to cut his cap hit; as part of the deal, it would be understood he will voluntarily give up the C.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Calli should be Captain...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:03 PM
acapps10

The man is a non-existent force on the ice, how could he be our leader? To me, theres no reason you can't strip the captaincy in the middle of the season if someone doesn't deserve it. Drury was named captain by Renney not Torts, he doesn't deserve it and it would send him and the team a message.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Agree.
Nothing vs. Dubi, although first vote would be to Callahan.

Give Dubi 1 additional year at $2m to cut his cap hit; as part of the deal, it would be understood he will voluntarily give up the C.
Cap hits don't get cut on account of new contracts. Does this work differently in the NBA or NFL, and is that why I've seen so many people confused around here lately?

It's REALLY not that hard, people.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:04 PM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by useref15 View Post
How can you give Dubinsky the C when he doesn't even have an A?

That means nothing IMO.

Old
01-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Blue Regime

I agree Drury should remain captain until the offseason. However, should something magical happen in the spring, it would be so awkward if Bettman has to say, "Chris Drury come bring the cup back to New York!!" If I were Chris in that situation I'd feel almost embarrassed.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
redfzn

carolina did it last season, taking brind'amour's c and giving it to staal midseason bc rod's play had obv went down the toilet. staal picked up his play and almost got them into a playoff spot. #justsaying

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by acapps10 View Post
The man is a non-existent force on the ice, how could he be our leader? To me, theres no reason you can't strip the captaincy in the middle of the season if someone doesn't deserve it. Drury was named captain by Renney not Torts, he doesn't deserve it and it would send him and the team a message.
Its easy for the fans to say he doesnt deserve it, but theres a lot more to being a captain then just the 60 minutes we see on TV.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
UDnyr92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Regime View Post
I agree Drury should remain captain until the offseason. However, should something magical happen in the spring, it would be so awkward if Bettman has to say, "Chris Drury come bring the cup back to New York!!" If I were Chris in that situation I'd feel almost embarrassed.
hey now, don't get ahead of yourself. this season has already been a great success, just a stepping stone into the future of the franchise that is finally building from the prospect pools and the draft.

UDnyr92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:13 PM
satrabyk

Im reading a few comments a i have seen many posters write he is not the player he was in terms of skill. IMO Hes been the same player for atleast 5 years since ive watched him. The last year in Buffalo i barely noticed him during the season and playoffs besides his lucky goal that got him a 50 million dollar contract from a idiot of a manager. Seriously how many have you watched him before the Rangers and noticed his skill was much different than now. IMO the only difference is he was put in situations like PP more and more 5 on 5 play and spoon fed points. Situations he did not belong but was forced there because of his contract. Now Torts play him despite his contract and we think hes lost skill. That theory lets managment and scouting of the hook, by saying that he somehow had a 360 turn in his skill and he was a 7 mil player when we signed him. He was not and is still not. Main reasons u think his skill has dropped off is less ice-time and more competetive faster league.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:

But realistically, you cant strip the guy mid-season and expect it to actually benefit the team. Dubinsky is the on-ice leader whether hes got a letter on his sweater or not. Embarrassing Drury in front of his mates and fans is going to have more of a negative impact imo. Theres really no reason to go out of your way to do this. Hes been a good soldier, wants to win and gives it his all. Cant blame him for the deterioration of skills.

You want to rethink the captaincy next offseason? Fine... I also think Drury will have to come out himself and offer that up for it to be handed off the right way, and... im not so sure he would do that tbh.

This is the last thing Torts and the coaching staff worry about, believe me. I think its more important to the fans who the captain is, especially in a city that was so dramatically effected by arguably the best captain in the history of the game.
Agreed, good post. IT would serve no purpose, other than to create tension in the locker room. Drury, while not liked by many, is still a veteran, and not one of us knows his impact in the locker room, especially with all the young kids we have on this team. If he offers it up it's one thing, but you don't take the C off a guy like Drury, it would paint a terrible picture of how this franchise is run if it happened.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Its easy for the fans to say he doesnt deserve it, but theres a lot more to being a captain then just the 60 minutes we see on TV.
Trust me you think that Drury has any rapoire with Avery. IMO he seems like the quiet leader who leads by example, the problem is the example well fill in the blanks. I dont know if Dubi is ready to be a captain in the near future imo but it def would not be a drop off from what we have now.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:19 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Exactly how I feel. To many fans think this game is all on ice, when in reality the true nature of any team, be it professional, or amateur, starts in the locker room, period. If you dont have a strong leadership and voice in there, then you're doomed from the start. Drury offers up a lot more than his deteriorating on-ice skills.

MrEctions is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:25 PM
The Beezer

There's just no reason to do it. First off, Drury whether you like him or not doesn't deserve that type off treatment. Although his offensive skills have seemed to diminish, the guy always gives you a 110% effort every night. He also hasn't had a negative word to say about his situation (4th line-ice time).

Secondly, why would you want to create any type of drama with what seems to be close knit group? Do you honestly think that with a change, this group would play better, score more or harder than it does now? You don't need a letter to be a leader.

Basically it would just create a needless situation for a young team that is playing well right now.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Blueshirt Special

I questioned Drury's validity on this team as far back as the end of preseason, but I see No reason to do this at this point. Dubi is the man and everyone knows it.

I'm ok just letting Drury ride off into the sunset. Torts isn't going to let anything like Drury keeping the C prevent us from moving forward. His ice time has evaporated into fumes at this point. Just let it fizzle and give Dubi the C at the home opener when they raise the banner.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Doing this during the season is a bad idea, imo.

However, as an ardent supporter of removing Drury from this team via buyout if he doesn't retire this offseason, I support informing him that he will not be captain if he returns next year, after this season ends.

Operation Coerce Drury to Retire:
Step 1 - tell him that he won't be captain next year

Step 2 - tell him that we don't have enough seats on the team plane next year, and he will have to fly on road trips in this:

We'll replace the British flags with Rangers logos, but suggest he buys an umbrella with his hefty paychecks.

Step 3: tell him the bus is also full, and that he, and Derek Boogaard will have to travel to local road games in this:

He and Boogaard will have to work out which one pulls between themselves.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

next season

Cally C
Dubi A
Staal A

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote