Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Semin

Old
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
rananda

vCash: 500
Semin

I've written a lengthy post in defense of Alexander Semin, particularly his playoff performance last season and the way he was misused by Boudreau. There's also a note in the about about Zherdev as well. Semin fans may find it interesting.

http://imbroglioh.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html

rananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 02:37 PM
VladNYC*

This is a very good article. Very scientific and straightforward. There isn't really any thing i disagree with and the Arnott/Shift length thing was spot on and pretty illuminating. You have a talent in statistical analyses my friend. Bravo

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by rananda View Post
I've written a lengthy post in defense of Alexander Semin, particularly his playoff performance last season and the way he was misused by Boudreau. There's also a note in the about about Zherdev as well. Semin fans may find it interesting.

Excellent post! What you are describing applies not only to Semin, but to most other Russian NHL'ers not named Ovechkin. The hockey style and cultural attitudes that Semin and other Russian players who play Russian-style hockey is just simply what they inherited from their native land. It would be just as hard for Russians to un-learn their culture as it would for Canadians. Russians play a skilled game emphasizing skating, stickhandling and passing, perhaps suited for bigger rinks, and the banging, mucking, dump-and-chase game found in Canada is as alien to Russians as Russian hockey is to Canadians. That is a major reason why many talented Russians reach a dead-end in the career in North America.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Bure

Great article.

I never understood why people were so hard on Semins playoff performances. It's like they were looking for one person to blame the Capitals playoff failures on.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Russians play a skilled game emphasizing skating, stickhandling and passing, perhaps suited for bigger rinks, and the banging, mucking, dump-and-chase game found in Canada is as alien to Russians as Russian hockey is to Canadians. That is a major reason why many talented Russians reach a dead-end in the career in North America.
Then again, when a single small skilled Russian forward like Datsyuk manages to get into the NHL, they praise him like God. I'm sure if Datsyuk played in KHL, he'd be only one among other top small forwards... he'd be good but not talked about as some hockey genius.

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:10 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
Then again, when a single small skilled Russian forward like Datsyuk manages to get into the NHL, they praise him like God. I'm sure if Datsyuk played in KHL, he'd be only one among other top small forwards... he'd be good but not talked about as some hockey genius.
Seriously? Who'd be capable of out-Datsyuking him in KHL?

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:13 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
that is false, he was remarkable even at the young age, but on the other hand, they sure know how to hype up their stars in the NHL

Last edited by cska78: 11-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.
cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Hyserman61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Seriously? Who'd be capable of out-Datsyuking him in KHL?
Of course there is none in the KHL even close to Datsyuk!

Great article, interesting as hell! Just wish that everyone in the whole world would read it...

Go Sacha!

Hyserman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Ihmeilja

Great article. I watched Capitals playoff games and Semin seemed to play sound hockey. When Ovetchkin - Bäckström - Semin played together they were very much checked.

Ihmeilja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:

Reading your blog again reminds me of how badly the "KLM" line, Fetisov, Kasatonov and others who were huge talents that had a great impact on the international scene, were thoroughly trashed by North American media and fans as being "grossly overrated," and incapable of playing the game of hockey without their robot-like buddies. Everybody expected that these guys would walk into the locker room in New Jersey, Calgary and Vancouver and say, "hello everybody, I'm a star from the Soviet Union, your arch-enemy, and I'm here to take over the team as your leader." Those expectations were unbelievably unrealistic, and of course, the exact opposite occurred. For the most part, these great stars who had proved themselves in life-or-death competitions against the best of the NHL found themselves in need of being inconspicuous and avoiding the perception of being too bold or arrogant in the face of the dominant NHL culture.

Brendan Shanahan, who was a teammate of Fetisov's in 1989 when Fetisov first joined the Devils, wrote about how disgusted he felt when he observed Fetisov's North American "defense partners" deliberately clearing a path so that forechecking forwards from the opposing team could "backstab" Fetisov (i.e., check him face-first into the boards). Shanahan argued that the betrayal of a teammate was not so much a function of hating Russians as it was a fear that Russians would start coming over in numbers and taking away jobs. Clearly, the same degree of animosities don't exist today, but the difference in hockey culture and philosophy is definitely a factor when Russian players who are in a slump get a disproportionate share of criticism than their North American counterparts. i am hard pressed to think of a single Canadian hockey player who has had his personal courage and character questioned to the same degree as Semin. That would be unheard of.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
As magical as he is with the puck, Datsyuk is revered in the NHL as much or more because he is one of the premier defensive forwards in the league. He uses his magic hands to strip the puck off the stick of players from the other team. There are a lot of talented offensive forwards in Russia that are not effective defensively. Playing defense is not as big an emphasis for forwards in Russia as it is in NA, for whatever reason.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:

With Dale Hunter taking over for Bruce Boudreau, the situation for Semin will be even worse. Hunter was a tough guy who believes in a really physical, agressive style of play, which Semin and many other Russian finesse players aren't used to playing. Hunter will have no patience with Semin, who is likely to get waived and sent to the AHL because of his high salary. I believe that he will be in the KHL in the near future, which is probably the right place for him to be!

Old
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
With Dale Hunter taking over for Bruce Boudreau, the situation for Semin will be even worse. Hunter was a tough guy who believes in a really physical, agressive style of play, which Semin and many other Russian finesse players aren't used to playing. Hunter will have no patience with Semin, who is likely to get waived and sent to the AHL because of his high salary. I believe that he will be in the KHL in the near future, which is probably the right place for him to be!
Dont think so, almost impossible.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
Dont think so, almost impossible.
There was an article in Russianprospects.com yesterday by Chuck Gormley, a blogger who writes about the Capitals, about Yevgeny Kuznetsov showing some interest in joining the Capitals after the WJC. There was also a link to an article that he wrote about Semin. He claims that the Capitals aren't having any luck trading Semin because allegedly no teams want to pick up his 6.75 million per year contract, and that if they can't work out a trade, then they will send him to the AHL. I don't know how likely that is, but it has been done by teams before. It would obviously be a stupid move, because Semin is a great talent. But hypothetically, if Semin did find himself in the AHL, he might be sorely tempted to play out his contract and go to the KHL, where he could make at least as much money.