HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

NHL Central Scouting's OHL 'A' list prospects (NHL Draft 2013)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
  #1
NHL Fanatic
Registered User
 
NHL Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,638
vCash: 500
NHL Central Scouting's OHL 'A' list prospects (NHL Draft 2013)

NHL central scouting preliminary 'A' list prospects includes:- Jason Dickinson, Max Domi, Spencer Martin, Sean Monahan, Kerby Rychel and Ryan Hartman.

Interesting that Darnell Nurse, Bo Horvat, Steven Harper, Nick Baptiste, and Ryan Kujawinski were left off the list. Still very early but interested to see how much it changes over the year.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:28 AM
  #2
HockeyBlogFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Interesting indeed. I agree that Kujawinski should also be an early candidate for the first round.

Has anyone seen a complete list with B and C players?

HockeyBlogFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:42 PM
  #3
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBlogFan View Post
Interesting indeed. I agree that Kujawinski should also be an early candidate for the first round.

Has anyone seen a complete list with B and C players?
there's a list here, but I don't know about the knowledge behind it. I'm not surprised about Nurse. He's gona have to get off the "reputation" status and start producing better +- next year if he wants "A". I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm saying he better do it. I had left a comment that he had Bigras under rated and Nurse overrated, I guess that offended the author because a week later my feedback was removed.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
  #4
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
there's a list here, but I don't know about the knowledge behind it. I'm not surprised about Nurse. He's gona have to get off the "reputation" status and start producing better +- next year if he wants "A". I'm not saying he can't do it, I'm saying he better do it. I had left a comment that he had Bigras under rated and Nurse overrated, I guess that offended the author because a week later my feedback was removed.
An Owen Sound Attack fan thinking Bigras is underrated, color me shocked

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:59 PM
  #5
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4Gold View Post
An Owen Sound Attack fan thinking Bigras is underrated, color me shocked
let's just say I think he's better than Nurse, he was never given the chance to prove it... yet... except if you compare their OHL season.
It's not my fault I seen play all year, what else do you want me to say? (wait a minute... I guess it is)
Time will color me right

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
  #6
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
let's just say I think he's better than Nurse, he was never given the chance to prove it... yet... except if you compare their OHL season.
It's not my fault I seen play all year, what else do you want me to say? (wait a minute... I guess it is)
Time will color me right
Hes been given all year to prove hes better.

You've been oddly targeting Nurse all season, which is your prerogative. I don't think its a conspiracy that he made the U18's as an underage player, and thrived as reported by Ross MacLean of ISS and David Burstyn of Mckeens. I trust reports from professional scouts.

Just have found that fans have a natural bias for their own players, been proved 1000's of times in the past.

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:20 AM
  #7
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4Gold View Post
Hes been given all year to prove hes better.

You've been oddly targeting Nurse all season, which is your prerogative. I don't think its a conspiracy that he made the U18's as an underage player, and thrived as reported by Ross MacLean of ISS and David Burstyn of Mckeens. I trust reports from professional scouts.

Just have found that fans have a natural bias for their own players, been proved 1000's of times in the past.
I want Nurse to be good, and he is. I want him to be as good as alot of you people say he is. Nurse is a Canadian player, and in my books, when he plays for Canada especially, I consider him as my "own player" as you may put it.

Who I'm really targeting is not even Bigras or Nurse, I'm targeting everybody's opinion and questioning myself as why he is rated so high. For example, some of you are surprised that he's not the A list for 2013 NHL draft, I'm not, and those are ratings by "professional scouts". I don't think Bigras should be on the A list either, but they both could reach it by the end of next season.

quote:
"Hes been given all year to prove hes better"
I'm not sure what you mean by that. When I look at "all year" I see numbers favoring Bigras by a mile. In the playoffs the Owen Sound coaching staff gave Bigras all the icetime he could handle and was given leading defencman role. That's the only time I seen him given a chance. The bench was down to 15 players, to make a long story short, he was handed playoff MVP for the scope of the team, not to mention rookie of the year. Go look at his numbers for the playoffs... when he was relied on. U-17 didn't even play him in overtime against Russia, when Canada was also occupying a short bench. Which caliber is stronger? U-17, or OHL playoff time?


Last edited by bidzey: 07-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
  #8
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Interesting to see these numbers from that list... (# of prospects)

Windsor - 4
Peterborough - 3
Missisauga- 3

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:51 PM
  #9
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
I love Bigras as a player, my 96 played summer hockey with the kid, he has NHL level potential. Someone saying positive things about the kid doesn't equal a parent.

I don't like the Bigras vs. Nurse thing that has started. I think fans at times are blinded by the emotions of being a fan (I saw it on my 92's OHL team all year), but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and shouldn't be attacked because of it.


Last edited by Majik1987: 07-11-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: qdp and response
Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
  #10
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4Gold View Post
I don't like the Bigras vs. Nurse thing that has started. I think fans at times are blinded by the emotions of being a fan (I saw it on my 92's OHL team all year), but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and shouldn't be attacked because of it.
fair enough... I'll let the 2 in question duke it out for themselves...

my 96 played....
I saw it on my 92's OHL team all year...

can I troll now, what do you mean

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:04 PM
  #11
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
fair enough... I'll let the 2 in question duke it out for themselves...

my 96 played....
I saw it on my 92's OHL team all year...

can I troll now, what do you mean
96's and 92's are terms used for players going through the draft. This year, its the 97's


Last edited by Tigers1992: 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
  #12
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
you must be a very proud father then, congrats to you

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:09 PM
  #13
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
fair enough... I'll let the 2 in question duke it out for themselves...

my 96 played....
I saw it on my 92's OHL team all year...

can I troll now, what do you mean
I had two sons in the OHL Draft, in 2008 and 2012. I know Bigras and Nurse well, have seen them play back when they where in Barrie and Don Mills.

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:12 PM
  #14
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
you must be a very proud father then, congrats to you
They did the work, not me lol

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:13 PM
  #15
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4Gold View Post
They did the work, not me lol
well your being modest, it wouldn't been possible without you, I can only imagine the time and money for 1 kid let alone 2.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:17 PM
  #16
Miller4Gold
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
well you being modest, it wouldn't been possible without you, I can only imagine the time and money for 1 kid let alone 2.
Anyways, my point always has been that both are great players, I just think that Nurse has higher potential at this point. He played great (as reported by pro scouts) at the U18 as a 95, which usually only happens for top end players.

Miller4Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
  #17
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4Gold View Post
Anyways, my point always has been that both are great players, I just think that Nurse has higher potential at this point. He played great (as reported by pro scouts) at the U18 as a 95, which usually only happens for top end players.
I wont argue that, I will be watching Nurse closely though as I'm sure he'll make it pass the camp.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
  #18
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post

Interesting that Darnell Nurse, Bo Horvat, Steven Harper, Nick Baptiste, and Ryan Kujawinski were left off the list. Still very early but interested to see how much it changes over the year.
Those guys are certainly are on everyones radar as potential first rounders, but they will have to see how they do this year. Stall, grow, explode, its all up to them.

Nurse - Size and skating, but showed very little offensive punch last year. To move into the first round he will have to show some level of offensive ability. He doesn't need to get 60 points, but one goal last year? Needs to be better.

Horvat - Good first year, so so playoffs. I'd think he has to move into the 60 point range this year to move into the first round. And he seems to have the work ethic to pull it off.

Harper - Its just hard to judge someone on that terrible a team. I did not get to see him live last year. Saw him at U17's and was impressed.

Baptiste - Size with skating alone could push him as a first rounder, but he really needs to have a break out year. If he can go 30-30 this year will move way up the draft list, arguably top 15. One of the youngest guys in the draft too.

Kujawinski - I was amazed how much he seemed to improve when traded. Size, and definitely skill. I think scouts want to see how he does for a full season. He even translates what he did in Kingston for a full year, he could be a top 20 pick.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM
  #19
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Those guys are certainly are on everyones radar as potential first rounders, but they will have to see how they do this year. Stall, grow, explode, its all up to them.

Nurse - Size and skating, but showed very little offensive punch last year. To move into the first round he will have to show some level of offensive ability. He doesn't need to get 60 points, but one goal last year? Needs to be better.

Horvat - Good first year, so so playoffs. I'd think he has to move into the 60 point range this year to move into the first round. And he seems to have the work ethic to pull it off.

Harper - Its just hard to judge someone on that terrible a team. I did not get to see him live last year. Saw him at U17's and was impressed.

Baptiste - Size with skating alone could push him as a first rounder, but he really needs to have a break out year. If he can go 30-30 this year will move way up the draft list, arguably top 15. One of the youngest guys in the draft too.

Kujawinski - I was amazed how much he seemed to improve when traded. Size, and definitely skill. I think scouts want to see how he does for a full season. He even translates what he did in Kingston for a full year, he could be a top 20 pick.
for my 2 cents... it's hard to put a labels this early on rookies, you see the ones that are exceptional right away yes, but some prosper later. I think this year some of these guys you listed will go up the latter considerably. If not, then either they reach their max early and looked promising at the midget level, and will have a hard time from now on, or they need more time to develop. A good example is Halmo. He was never drafted, he was signed as a free agent by the Islanders, and had over 80 points last year. Not too many OHL players (14 of them) achieved that last year.


Last edited by bidzey: 07-11-2012 at 12:25 PM.
bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
  #20
ottawah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
for my 2 cents... it's hard to put a labels this early on rookies, you see the ones that are exceptional right away yes, but some prosper later. I think this year some of these guys you listed will go up the latter considerably. If not, then either they reach their max early and looked promising at the midget level, and will have a hard time from now on, or they need more time to develop. A good example is Halmo. He was never drafted, he was signed as a free agent by the Islanders, and had over 80 points last year. Not too many OHL players (14 of them) achieved that last year.
Very few prosper later to the extent that they get a cup of tea in the NHL. Hamlo is a very poor example to compare any of these guys too, they were all better in their pre draft year than Hamlo was in his draft year. In fact significantly better. If they all hung around as long as Hamlo, they will far eclipse the 80 point mark, but they will not likely be around that long, they will be playing pro.

By the time the year was out Hamlo was 21. Yes 80 points is nice, but he was 2,3 years older than most of the players in the league.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
  #21
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Very few prosper later to the extent that they get a cup of tea in the NHL. Hamlo is a very poor example to compare any of these guys too, they were all better in their pre draft year than Hamlo was in his draft year. In fact significantly better. If they all hung around as long as Hamlo, they will far eclipse the 80 point mark, but they will not likely be around that long, they will be playing pro.

By the time the year was out Hamlo was 21. Yes 80 points is nice, but he was 2,3 years older than most of the players in the league.
2,3 years older than most of the players... yea that makes sense... I was giving an example of a late bloomer more than I was comparing him to anybody

what's your read on Domi, I was reading that after someone said he was really good, which is always what I thought, this person said he got 60+ points this year only because he was a regular 3rd liner with lots of ice time on a heavily stack team...

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:48 PM
  #22
HockeyBlogFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
2,3 years older than most of the players... yea that makes sense... I was giving an example of a late bloomer more than I was comparing him to anybody

what's your read on Domi, I was reading that after someone said he was really good, which is always what I thought, this person said he got 60+ points this year only because he was a regular 3rd liner with lots of ice time on a heavily stack team...
My impression was that Domi did indeed get more ice time, and was put into more favorable point scoring opportunities than most 16 year old rookies - but he showed that he deserved it. Domi had 31 points in his first 31 games (and a less impressive 18 in the second half). As the year went on however, he certainly didn't seem as impressive to me. In fact, I agree with some of the Knights fans that think Horvat showed himself to be the better overall player (although not as flashy, and not as talented as a pure scorer).

HockeyBlogFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:19 AM
  #23
bidzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBlogFan View Post
My impression was that Domi did indeed get more ice time, and was put into more favorable point scoring opportunities than most 16 year old rookies - but he showed that he deserved it. Domi had 31 points in his first 31 games (and a less impressive 18 in the second half). As the year went on however, he certainly didn't seem as impressive to me. In fact, I agree with some of the Knights fans that think Horvat showed himself to be the better overall player (although not as flashy, and not as talented as a pure scorer).
perhaps the absence of Dale Hunter was felt by Domi? I was amaze what Dale did with Washington, and even more what he did with Ovechkin. He turned him from an idiot into a respectable player that I actually started to like. Washington are fools to let that man go. Is London still a killer team next year?

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
  #24
Crottenham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
perhaps the absence of Dale Hunter was felt by Domi? I was amaze what Dale did with Washington, and even more what he did with Ovechkin. He turned him from an idiot into a respectable player that I actually started to like. Washington are fools to let that man go. Is London still a killer team next year?
Washington didn't let Hunter go, Dale WANTED to return to London.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
  #25
aresknights
Registered User
 
aresknights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: london
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Is London still a killer team next year?
They have to be one of the favs in the West along with Ply and Kitchener. Mark will fill the gaps and make a run at the OHL title again

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.