Flames 1 Canucks 3

Old
01-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
I feel like I am on the Thrashers forum here or something...2 page GDT against a rival?
Besides being an old, slow, unskilled and generally undisciplined team, the Flames are also now one of the most boring teams in the league. Every game essentially has the intensity level of pre-season match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Jackman is awesome. I really hope he's extended. Perfect replacement for Nystrom.
If I'm not mistaken, Jackman was signed to a two year deal last off-season.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:50 AM
StreakingRed
"Yeeeaaah Baby!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Jackman was signed to a two year deal last off-season.

Good news! I thought he was only signed for this year.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:18 AM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
You guys are delusional if you think you have a real chance at 8th or better.

Go the Edmonton way. Trade Iggy and Kipper for a kings ransom at the deadline....factor in your guys's first round pick (should be pretty high) and you have a great start on a rebuild.
Your delusional if you think high picks will guarantee you to be a good team in the future. Edmonton has good prospects but have yet to prove they will be contender in the future

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:20 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Completely OT, but I just saw this and was wondering if the kid ever appeared again.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Steven

vCash: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I thought Backlund was the best Flames player on the ice tonight.
Agree fully. I hope he gets a shot in between Iginla and Tanguay next game.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:42 AM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Completely OT, but I just saw this and was wondering if the kid ever appeared again.
Saw him at a few games sitting by me last year, but haven't seen him this season

Old
01-06-2011, 01:45 AM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
He created a couple of scoring opportunities in the first for sure. Even though the points aren't there yet he definitely brought more to that line then it has done the last 5 games.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:53 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordstanleychaser View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself
You should change your name to draft pick chaser then. Clearly you don't care about the cup..

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:24 AM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
You should change your name to draft pick chaser then. Clearly you don't care about the cup..
? Clearly you don't understand much. You should also re read the context of my post, as it was more along the lines of "Without Kipper, we would be a lottery team." Good reading comprehension try though. The Flames don't have very good odds for making the playoffs. I am all for a re-tool, to get a good draft pick in hopes of making a bounce back towards the playoffs, much like Philadelphia's/Vancouver.

Also, was that all you had to say in the topic? Very helpful.

Last edited by Janks: 01-06-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:07 AM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post

Yeah he was a regular for quite a while, I haven't attended many games the last 2 years though so I don't know about lately. The kid (I can't recall his name at the moment but he was sort of famous at the Saddledome) seemed to have a father/manager who was taking the fun out of it after a while. I was at a game sitting very close to him and it was like a rehearsed side-show. His father(I assumed his father) had it all timed out to the second at every stoppage in play and the kid was sick of it and just wanted to sit, they argued crossly.....it was sad.

Not as sad as the hockey was today though.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:25 AM
MikeK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Your delusional if you think high picks will guarantee you to be a good team in the future. Edmonton has good prospects but have yet to prove they will be contender in the future
"YOU'RE" delusional if you think Edmonton isn't on the right track. Calgary on the other hand have nothing to look forward to, nothing in the system, and nothing currently in the NHL that indicates they'll be even close to challenging for anything less then a lottery pick over the next several years. Blowing it up with picks is the only way to start over. The window to win with the core has passed as most of your core are at the peak of their careers and won't be of any use to a rebuilding team.

I know it's fun for flames fans to hate everything Edm but from what I've seen from Edm games I'd be very excited for their future.

MikeK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:06 AM
Gehngis Nuck

Well... Backlund looked good...
and... umm...
uhh...
did I mention Backlund?

Gehngis Nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:21 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
? Clearly you don't understand much. You should also re read the context of my post, as it was more along the lines of "Without Kipper, we would be a lottery team." Good reading comprehension try though. The Flames don't have very good odds for making the playoffs. I am all for a re-tool, to get a good draft pick in hopes of making a bounce back towards the playoffs, much like Philadelphia's/Vancouver.

I suppose I need to clarify when obviously making a joke. Do I have to use green text like CP?

If you can't understand the joke, have a look at your user name. The whole reason any of us are on here is because we want the flames to get a cup.

Last edited by CPRSRPUNKS: 01-06-2011 at 05:42 AM.
CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Doyle

Calgary Flames fall again, what needs to be done?

http://nhlhotstove.com/calgary-flame...ds-to-be-done/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:18 AM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
"YOU'RE" delusional if you think Edmonton isn't on the right track. Calgary on the other hand have nothing to look forward to, nothing in the system, and nothing currently in the NHL that indicates they'll be even close to challenging for anything less then a lottery pick over the next several years. Blowing it up with picks is the only way to start over. The window to win with the core has passed as most of your core are at the peak of their careers and won't be of any use to a rebuilding team.

I know it's fun for flames fans to hate everything Edm but from what I've seen from Edm games I'd be very excited for their future.
We have nothing to look forward to even though I would take Calgary's D prospects in a hearbeat over the Oilers. Ya the Oilers are on the right track but whose to say its going to work, they could very well end up like Columbus, tons of talented prospects but always hovering in the bottom of the conference. Just because the Oilers took that route does not mean the Flames should to.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
MikeK

Quote:
We have nothing to look forward to even though I would take Calgary's D prospects in a hearbeat over the Oilers. Ya the Oilers are on the right track but whose to say its going to work, they could very well end up like Columbus, tons of talented prospects but always hovering in the bottom of the conference. Just because the Oilers took that route does not mean the Flames should to.
I'm shocked you feel this way when everything we have seen since the lock out shows that building through the draft is key to success. You just can't buy your way to the top anymore... key example is Tor.. Burke thought he could buy his way out of the gutter buy selling draft picks, trading for veterans and buying free agents.. It just doesn't work. Cgy's window has closed and if they were smart they would start over..and they are going to do that.

MikeK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Kipper plays like ****...time to get something for him if anybody stupid enough
This has to be one of the top five worst post I have ever seen on this board. I am not opposed to trading Kipper at all, but that comment made my jaw hit the floor. Have you watched a flames game in the last 2-3 years?

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:38 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I'm shocked you feel this way when everything we have seen since the lock out shows that building through the draft is key to success. You just can't buy your way to the top anymore... key example is Tor.. Burke thought he could buy his way out of the gutter buy selling draft picks, trading for veterans and buying free agents.. It just doesn't work. Cgy's window has closed and if they were smart they would start over..and they are going to do that.
Your missing his point.

Edmonton has proven nothing. If they win a cup in the next 3-5 years then they did a great job. Right now the are rotting in cellar, just like they do every year. The stink lives on!!

CGY does need a rebuild, but they also have some good players to build around for the future, especially on D. Brodie and Erixon are looking to be good additions to Bouwmeester and Gio. Bourque's in a funk right now, but if he stays healthy he'd provide some vetern leadership and some quality points. I'd love to hold onto Hagman, great work ethic, and he'd put up much better points if he played with some skill.

Offload the old core, keep some mid level contracts, and trade the good trade bait like Tanguay. Ride out the Bouwmeester contract, even though he doesn't earn all his dollars he still brings a lot to the backend and is steady. Do all that and this team could be competitive again without risking it all and going edmontons route. I'd rather keep the positives intact then just throwing in the towel on the entire team.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

Can we stop with the rebuild talk please? This team is not last in the league with no signs of improvement.

You have a great coach, a great core of defensemen, and an elite goaltender. If the Flames can acquire one, maybe two more skilled goalscorers this team could make some noise.

Until then, this is what we get

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:04 AM
LeftCoast

Edit: ^^^^ this kind of thinking will doom your team.

I come in peace. As much as I hate the flames, I'm strangely fascinated by what rebuilding direction your team takes. After all, one sided rivalries aren't a lot of fun.

As a Canucks fan, I think your most marketable asset is probably Robyn Regehr. He's still in his prime, he's playing well, he has a substantial - but not ridiculous salary cap hit and going into the trade deadline there are playoff bound teams (Tampa, LA) with cap space and young assets to trade that need a shut down defender.

And I'm pretty sure that Regehr would waive his NMC to go to LA or Tampa.

Kipper would be harder to move (at least at the deadline) because there are cheaper options (Nabokov). Of course an untimely injury to a playoff bound goalie could change everything.

Iginla is more problematic. He is certainly a valuable asset, even with his salary cap hit. But he's the type of player that you have to have a long sit down conversation with and ask him, "are you willing to spend the next 3 years of your career providing leadership on a team that, without a lot of luck (which they haven't had much of lately) is not going to be competitive?" If Jerome wants to stay in Calgary to finish his career and lead / mentor the next crop of young players, then you honour that. But it would also be reasonable for his to want to finish his career on a team that has a legitimate shot at the cup.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Edit: ^^^^ this kind of thinking will doom your team.

I come in peace. As much as I hate the flames, I'm strangely fascinated by what rebuilding direction your team takes. After all, one sided rivalries aren't a lot of fun.

As a Canucks fan, I think your most marketable asset is probably Robyn Regehr. He's still in his prime, he's playing well, he has a substantial - but not ridiculous salary cap hit and going into the trade deadline there are playoff bound teams (Tampa, LA) with cap space and young assets to trade that need a shut down defender.

And I'm pretty sure that Regehr would waive his NMC to go to LA or Tampa.

Kipper would be harder to move (at least at the deadline) because there are cheaper options (Nabokov). Of course an untimely injury to a playoff bound goalie could change everything.

Iginla is more problematic. He is certainly a valuable asset, even with his salary cap hit. But he's the type of player that you have to have a long sit down conversation with and ask him, "are you willing to spend the next 3 years of your career providing leadership on a team that, without a lot of luck (which they haven't had much of lately) is not going to be competitive?" If Jerome wants to stay in Calgary to finish his career and lead / mentor the next crop of young players, then you honour that. But it would also be reasonable for his to want to finish his career on a team that has a legitimate shot at the cup.
This is exactly how he should be dealt with. He's the type of player that will put up 30 goals till the end of his contract and is one of the games best leaders. I'd keep him if he wanted to stay through the dark days, but would give him a way out if he wanted a cup sooner then later.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Someone's get to let Sutter know that this kid is better than his stats show.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:14 PM
StreakingRed
"Yeeeaaah Baby!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
Someone's get to let Sutter know that this kid is better than his stats show.

That may be true, but what we need now is for his stats to show something. Backlund is still too inconsistant, and needs to find a way to create offense and put up numbers regularly.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Edmonton has prospects on prospects, Hall, Eberle, Paarjavi, Omark and even Hamilton that played for Canada looks like he may develop into a very nice player. Yes they need defence, I hate to admit it but I do not think it will be more than 2 years and Edmonton will be one of top teams in the league.

Calgary needs desperately more than ever to refill the cupboard, and the sooner the better.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:

As a Canuck fan, I will say that the Flames really need to make a honest and accurate assessment of the state of the franchise.

Flames need to be REALISTIC. Not Optimistic (like Burke was with the Leafs prior to making the Kessel deal), nor should they be Pessimistic.

They have to look at what they have at the NHL level, what each player is capable of performing at for the Flames, their cap hit, and potential to be traded for a decent/fair return.

They have to assess what the talent level is like with the Heat. Who are the best prospects and what is the timeline for their development to the NHL.

Assess the most recent prospects, those still in Junior, NCAA, European leagues to determine how they are doing.

Is a re-tool all that is needed or is a re-build the better way to go? Depends on how much impact your young players with the Heat/Prospects can make in the next 2 years after this (while Iggy is still on contract). Iggy turns 34 in 2011, so at the end of 2013, he'll be 36, so over the next 2 years, he's going to need better talent than he has over the past 5 years when he was in his early 30's. He's now on the downside of his career.

If the young talent can't come in and make major impact, then what are the Flames going to be in the next couple of years? Drafting in the 7-12 spot? Can you land an impact player at that spot?

Each draft has a cutoff point where you start to see a big drop off in the talent. In 2009, it was Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane, Schenn, OEL, Kadri. For sure, there's a drop at the Kadri pick at #7, and maybe even earlier. That's why people would rather see the Flames be at the very bottom rather than in the middle of the non-playoff teams.

The East is going to load up again, with 6/7 top picks in the draft if the season ended today. So, Couturier, Larsson, RNH, Landeskog, Murphy, Rask, Saad, etc. most of them will be playing for the East with only 1 going to the Oilers. You want to be like the Avs, finish 3rd worst, land a franchise player like Duchene and have a good scouting staff to draft O'Reilly in round 2. Now, they are clearly on their way back up.

As for the current roster, Flames have what like 11 NTC/NMC contracts? That's a lot.

Factor in that the only UFAs the Flames have are Staios, Tanguay, and Morrison who have playoff experience. Return won't be very high on them. Sarich, Hagman, Kotalik, Jokinen, all make $3 million (Sarich at $3.6 million) with 1 year left on their deals next season. That's hard to trade considering that they haven't been living up to their contracts, neither has Stajan who has 3 years left.

Ultimate goal is to win the Cup. Flames have to decide what option gives them the best chance of begin legit contenders for a period of time. Can they compete while Iggy is still playing, or will it take longer than the time remaining on Iggy's contract to get the rest of the team up to contender status? Kipper, Rehegr, and Iggy are the best valued chips the Flames have.

Nothing is guaranteed. But, I can say that if the Nucks didn't trade Linden, Bure, Mogilny in 1998 they would not have received Bertuzzi, McCabe, Jovanovski, Morrison back. McCabe, later used to secure H. Sedin. So, making the right deal for your vets can speed up the rebuild process if you can land good prospects aged 19-22.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote