HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn is exceding expectations / his peers

Old
01-12-2011, 11:55 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
AK is good as gone
Hopefully you're right. I, personally, can't wait for that to happen.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
AK is more intense than Cammalleri when it comes to the physical game or loose pucks.
Sometimes. Yes. Not last night that's for sure.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
He came out of the gate flying, willing to take hits. Physical, digging along the boards etc... The guy was a beast for about a month.

So it is very possible because he's done it.
Do you honestly believe he has the personality and mental ability to do that consistently over a whole year or multiple years?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It was brought up already....but I would definately love to know how much his concussion has anything to do with how hesitant the guy plays now. I know, he was just as much moody before, but at first, I would have attribute that to experience. Now, experience can't be the reason.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Do you honestly believe he has the personality and mental ability to do that consistently over a whole year or multiple years?
Nope. Unfortunately.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Stradale

Sometimes, I'm really wondering what does people expect from AK?

In the current roster, he should be on the second line, and about our 5th best forwards, after Plekanec, Cammy, Gio and Gomez.

He is also a 20-25 goals scorer. He should have more with his talents and tools but he is a inconsistent player so we shouldn't expect more..

His salary is 3.25M$, not that expensive for a 2nd line player that can score 20 goals and the only that can throw some big hits.

At this time, he is 4th in points, 4th in goals, 1st in hits, 1st in +/-.

Yeah, he is struggling now but the guy is making 3.25M$ a year. Who really expected him to have a season with only Ups and no lows.. At the end of the season, if he scores 20 goals/ 50 points, he would have a good season.. considering how much he makes.

I always hear, we should get Penner to replace AK, or Malone, big guy, hits hard, score tons of goals... but both of them more expensive than AK. Malone has 11 goals, Penner has 12 goals..

We have already spent 23.3M$ on Gomez, Plekanek, Gionta and Cammalleri. We cannot spent 5M$ on each player on the top 6. Not every top 6 player has to score 30 goals.

Lets be honest, before the season starts. A 20-25 goals season for AK would be satisfying. And I'm quite confident he will reach that mark.

Some people were expecting a 35-40 goals season from Cammalleri.. he's on pace for 25 at this time... but Cammy makes about the double of Andrei's salary...

So let's cut some slack on Andrei.. he's struggling now, we all know it and we all knew he was gonna slump at one point in the season. Guys like Penner, Malone, Backes also have slump... its just that we don't follow them enough to notice it. The grass is not always greener.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Sometimes, I'm really wondering what does people expect from AK?

In the current roster, he should be on the second line, and about our 5th best forwards, after Plekanec, Cammy, Gio and Gomez.

He is also a 20-25 goals scorer. He should have more with his talents and tools but he is a inconsistent player so we shouldn't expect more..

His salary is 3.25M$, not that expensive for a 2nd line player that can score 20 goals and the only that can throw some big hits.

At this time, he is 4th in points, 4th in goals, 1st in hits, 1st in +/-.

Yeah, he is struggling now but the guy is making 3.25M$ a year. Who really expected him to have a season with only Ups and no lows.. At the end of the season, if he scores 20 goals/ 50 points, he would have a good season.. considering how much he makes.

I always hear, we should get Penner to replace AK, or Malone, big guy, hits hard, score tons of goals... but both of them more expensive than AK. Malone has 11 goals, Penner has 12 goals..

We have already spent 23.3M$ on Gomez, Plekanek, Gionta and Cammalleri. We cannot spent 5M$ on each player on the top 6. Not every top 6 player has to score 30 goals.

Lets be honest, before the season starts. A 20-25 goals season for AK would be satisfying. And I'm quite confident he will reach that mark.

Some people were expecting a 35-40 goals season from Cammalleri.. he's on pace for 25 at this time... but Cammy makes about the double of Andrei's salary...

So let's cut some slack on Andrei.. he's struggling now, we all know it and we all knew he was gonna slump at one point in the season. Guys like Penner, Malone, Backes also have slump... its just that we don't follow them enough to notice it. The grass is not always greener.
AK has been slumping for about 4 years now. Let's face it, he just isn't consistent enough to warrant top 6 minutes regularly. Nobody is expecting AK to become a 40 goal 85 point player. Most would be happy with 30 goals and 60 point. That would be great production from him. Hell most would be happy with 25 goals and 50 points, but instead we get 15-20 goal and about 40 points. That's just not good enough.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
AK has been slumping for about 4 years now. Let's face it, he just isn't consistent enough to warrant top 6 minutes regularly. Nobody is expecting AK to become a 40 goal 85 point player. Most would be happy with 30 goals and 60 point. That would be great production from him. Hell most would be happy with 25 goals and 50 points, but instead we get 15-20 goal and about 40 points. That's just not good enough.
I agree he can be maddeningly inconsistant but so can a lot of NHLers including our own Cammy who as another poster just said makes 6 mil per year.

Since the start of 07-08 his stats are...253 GP 74-76-150 (24-25-49 pace overa full season) and he hasn't been on a huge contract, I think on average he's earned less than 2.5 mil per year and been one of our most physical players. I think 24 goals puts him in the top 6 on just about every NHL team. Not sure how 24 goials a year qualifies as "has been slumping for 4 years" pretty ridiculous comment.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Tuggy

One goal in his last twenty games...who set these expectations?

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
One goal in his last twenty games...who set these expectations?
Yet he is 2 goals behind our 6M$ "40 goals" scorer.

Quote:
You really expect 30 goals for AK? Seriously? Yes he has the potential to score 30 goals but he hasn't reached that point yes, and that is why he is not paid 5M$ or more.

Cammy and Plekanec are getting paid 6M$ and 5M$ respectively, and they are on pace for 24 goals this season. Andrei is on pace for 20 goals. This team will not be a offensive powerhouse, especially with the system JM has implanted.

Maybe except for Gionta, all of our top 6 will underachieve this season not just the bald euro guy.

Old
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
CanadienErrant*

A.K. was picked 10th is a very deep draft that produced at least 10 players better than him picked after him in the first round.

That is why we are sick and tired to WAIT for his greatness to show.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
A.K. was picked 10th is a very deep draft that produced at least 10 players better than him picked after him in the first round.

That is why we are sick and tired to WAIT for his greatness to show.
We can't blame for that.

Next time the Habs want to draft a guy, that don't speak a single word in english, across the ocean, make sure he will adapt well in north america or at least, make sure to make him feel welcome and bring the best out of him. Drafting the guy is one thing, develop/surround him is another.

Old
01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
HCH

Quote:
His play has been as consistent and productive as almost any #6 forward in the league. As Stradale said, I am not sure what people are expecting from him but he does seem to get a lot more criticism during his slumps than others do.

For those who want him gone, what do you expect to receive in return. There aren't a lot of UFA's available to fill the role at that price and since you consider him to be next to worthless... going the route of trading him for an upgrade seems impossible.

As for last night, I read comments from some of the press on HIO and they seemed to think he played reasonably well and was taking the body. I thought he was okay but not spectacular... and in is defense, he was put into a checking role as an offensive player. Others here have posted that he was crap. I guess if you look for the bad in a player you will find it... I know I have been guilty of that.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
HCH

Quote:
We can't blame for that.

Next time the Habs want to draft a guy, that don't speak a single word in english, across the ocean, make sure he will adapt well in north america or at least, make sure to make him feel welcome and bring the best out of him. Drafting the guy is one thing, develop/surround him is another.
Well said.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:32 PM
adaptation

2007-2008
Canadiens 78gp 26g 27a 53p +15

2008-2009
Canadiens 74gp 23g 18a 41p -7

2009-2010
Canadiens 59gp 15g 18a 33p +1

2010-2011
Canadiens 42gp 10g 13a 23p +8

First real year, he makes a statement. Him and his bro are the next big thing. A couple of scandals with his brother later - opinions are changed as the stats slowly decline. I understand he missed some games last year - all good, but this year he is not on pace to have the kind of year he had.

20goal+ is fine, but hes not racking up the assists and we don't see him on ''big hit'' highlights. Yes i believe people expect too much of him, but he's not getting the minimum 20g-30a that most expect.

adaptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Let's trade him, so he can become a part of our conversation of players that we couldn't develop right in Montreal and went somewhere else and succeeded.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Yet he is 2 goals behind our 6M$ "40 goals" scorer.
So because Cammalleri is having an off year it excuses ANOTHER off year from Akosts?

He is on pace for 20 goals and 45 points. He had 33 points the year before. He barely broke 40 points the year before that. Lets face it, he is 3.25 million dollar 40 point player. Those are the results. The anomaly is his 53 point season.

In his role, people expect more and they should. In his role and talent level, 50 points is his minimum.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
So because Cammalleri is having an off year it excuses ANOTHER off year from Akosts?

He is on pace for 20 goals and 45 points. He had 33 points the year before. He barely broke 40 points the year before that. Lets face it, he is 3.25 million dollar 40 point player. Those are the results. The anomaly is his 53 point season.

In his role, people expect more and they should. In his role and talent level, 50 points is his minimum.
A 20 goals season is not really an off year for AK. Considering that almost all of our top 6 will under-produce this season, its obvious that our system is not based on offense. And why are we always hitting on the 3M$ guy while the 7.4M$ and 6M$ players are underachieving big time so far this season too.

And if he continues on this pace, he will get around 45 pts.. and you expect him to have 50.. so he's gonna be short of 5 pts. Wow.. what a waste.

With the talent Gomez has, I expect him to have 70 pts, he is on pace for 45 pts. With the talent Cammy has, I expect 40 goals from him.. he is on pace for 25 goals...

Old
01-12-2011, 10:08 PM
LeMAD

If we put Kostitsyn on waivers, no one will claim him.

He's that bad.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

He's that bad.
Im pretty sure the Pens rather have Kostitsyn on Malkin's or Crosby's wing rather than Cooke or Asham... yes because they are/were top 6 players for the Pens at one point this season, even before Crosby was injured.

Old
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
zx81

The way he is used right now makes me think that he won't finish the season with the Habs.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:13 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post

He's that bad.
LOL that is really funny!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
A 20 goals season is not really an off year for AK. Considering that almost all of our top 6 will under-produce this season, its obvious that our system is not based on offense. And why are we always hitting on the 3M$ guy while the 7.4M$ and 6M$ players are underachieving big time so far this season too.

And if he continues on this pace, he will get around 45 pts.. and you expect him to have 50.. so he's gonna be short of 5 pts. Wow.. what a waste.

With the talent Gomez has, I expect him to have 70 pts, he is on pace for 45 pts. With the talent Cammy has, I expect 40 goals from him.. he is on pace for 25 goals...
Gomez has been taking flak year, i dont know where you have been?

The fact is, its going to be THREE YEARS IN A ROW of this type of production. If it was just a bad year, you can live with it. If all your expectation is of one your wingers who plays most of the season with your best player is 40 points, then don't you expect much and have settled for mediocrity.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Gauthier will probably trade him for Fehr and we all know AK will rip the league with Ovi

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Gomez has been taking flak year, i dont know where you have been?

The fact is, its going to be THREE YEARS IN A ROW of this type of production. If it was just a bad year, you can live with it. If all your expectation is of one your wingers who plays most of the season with your best player is 40 points, then don't you expect much and have settled for mediocrity.
Its just funny that the name Kostitsyn comes back every time the team is struggling while guys like Gomez and Cammy who cost the team much more money... with very little contribution.

And btw, name me 6 top 6 players of every team that gets 45 pts and more.