HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weight training

Old
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Weight training

Apologies if there's already a thread on this, I looked back 5 pages and didn't see one.

I've recently started weight training at a local gym and am wondering what would be the best strategy for a hockey player. So far I am just getting into general shape and trying to find my limits, but before too long I want to get into a routine that makes sense.

I've heard that hip abduction is a good one for skaters, and that reps are more important than max. Anything else you guys can offer?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
canuck44

Not exactly recommending an exercise here but make sure you keep doing explosive training to prevent getting too slow.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:50 AM
predfan24

I know when people think of home workouts, they automatically think of garbage workout videos like Richard Simmonds etc. but I stopped going to the gym a few months ago and just recently completed P90x and am now doing a hybrid schedule of P90x and Insanity and I get 10X better workouts with these programs than I ever did at the gym. You get a total body workout with these programs and I have noticed a huge difference when playing hockey with regards to strength, endurance, explosiveness.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've heard a lot of good things about the 5x5 program.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Puck Farise

Squats for powerful legs. Box jumps/other plyometrics for working on foot speed. Crossfit type workouts for general muscular strength/endurance.

Puck Farise is offline   Reply With Quote