Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Ellis - Silver? No thanks...

Old
01-06-2011, 12:01 AM
jsting

vCash: 500
Ryan Ellis - Silver? No thanks...

Whats up with him refusing to let them put the silver medal on him during the ceremony? Poor sportsmanship and bad attitude. I understand you just lost a heart breaking game but dont be such a poor sport. Bad example for young kids watching.

jsting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:04 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Paging Pluckchicken.....

LeafsFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsting View Post
Whats up with him refusing to let them put the silver medal on him during the ceremony? Poor sportsmanship and bad attitude. I understand you just lost a heart breaking game but dont be such a poor sport. Bad example for young kids watching.
Did you not see him put the medal on right after?

LeafsFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:58 AM
RayzorIsDull

I have to disagree entirely. There's always the discussion if you actually win silver or lose gold. I think we know what camp Ellis belongs to and I can't blame him. He thought last year was heartbreaking losing in OT in the gold medal game? Well this one was 100 times worse. He was the captain of this team and took it like it was a kick in the gut. This guy has acquired a lot of hardware in his stint as an OHL player and he's obviously hurting because it wasn't gold. Let the guy do what he wants it's his choice. I still can't imagine how he feels but we have armchair fans out there that want to get on their soapbox and say he's a poor sport, sore loser etc.. This is the last time Ellis will represent Canada in the World Juniors and people are going to critique what he did? For the creator of this thread when something bad happens to you I want to be there and mock you and see what you do.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:38 AM
CanadaOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I have to disagree entirely. There's always the discussion if you actually win silver or lose gold. I think we know what camp Ellis belongs to and I can't blame him. He thought last year was heartbreaking losing in OT in the gold medal game? Well this one was 100 times worse. He was the captain of this team and took it like it was a kick in the gut. This guy has acquired a lot of hardware in his stint as an OHL player and he's obviously hurting because it wasn't gold. Let the guy do what he wants it's his choice. I still can't imagine how he feels but we have armchair fans out there that want to get on their soapbox and say he's a poor sport, sore loser etc.. This is the last time Ellis will represent Canada in the World Juniors and people are going to critique what he did? For the creator of this thread when something bad happens to you I want to be there and mock you and see what you do.
the medal gets put around your neck when presented to you - not held in your hand in front of millions viewers...simple

Imagine it the other way around and Cherry would be all over this

CanadaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Ottomatic

I have to agree it didn't look good. Especially as he was team captain. I can understand why he might have did it, but it didn't reflect well. If a Team Sweden member would have did that after say Canada had beat them it would have been derided here.

I'm glad he put it on eventually, but not having it put over you neck like it's done to every other player was a chump move, disrespecting both your teammates and your opponents. It's not like he was protesting shoddy officiating or anything, he was just personally disappointed with another silver medal.

Do I hate the kid or necessarily hold it against him going forward - no, but I'll understand if it's another bit of ammo for the Ellis haters to use.

I would wonder if folks would rather have won the Bronze against Sweden knowing how this game went rather than getting the silver by losing the gold. Also the way it happened, the complete choke job has to be more devastating than say if they traded the lead back and forth all game.

Also Ellis was on the other end of an epic comeback during the Spits first Memorial Cup run, when Mitchell took over the game scoring three goals in a little over three minutes late in a game.

Maybe there is more to this, I hope so as a fan of Ryan Ellis.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:38 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

vCash: 0
I like the kid, but it was a bad move. Yes, you're devastated, but you should still show respect to the tournament and overall sportsmanship. Shake the hand, lean forward, and let them put the medal on. Not a big deal.

TwoPadStack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I have to agree it didn't look good. Especially as he was team captain. I can understand why he might have did it, but it didn't reflect well. If a Team Sweden member would have did that after say Canada had beat them it would have been derided here.

I'm glad he put it on eventually, but not having it put over you neck like it's done to every other player was a chump move, disrespecting both your teammates and your opponents. It's not like he was protesting shoddy officiating or anything, he was just personally disappointed with another silver medal.

Do I hate the kid or necessarily hold it against him going forward - no, but I'll understand if it's another bit of ammo for the Ellis haters to use.

I would wonder if folks would rather have won the Bronze against Sweden knowing how this game went rather than getting the silver by losing the gold. Also the way it happened, the complete choke job has to be more devastating than say if they traded the lead back and forth all game.

Also Ellis was on the other end of an epic comeback during the Spits first Memorial Cup run, when Mitchell took over the game scoring three goals in a little over three minutes late in a game.

Maybe there is more to this, I hope so as a fan of Ryan Ellis.
My exact feelings as well. I won't hold it against him because he's an amazing player and represented our country with pride for 3 years. He is just a kid afterall and was absolutely devastated by the loss. It was a momentary lapse of judgement and he did eventually put it on.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

He's, what, 19?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:26 AM
leafmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
My exact feelings as well. I won't hold it against him because he's an amazing player and represented our country with pride for 3 years. He is just a kid afterall and was absolutely devastated by the loss. It was a momentary lapse of judgement and he did eventually put it on.
I agree. After all he has done give the kid a break.

leafmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
CanadaOne

Quote:
I'm not holding it against him and I'm sure he was devasted. BTW..he's not a kid

Old
01-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaOne View Post
I'm not holding it against him and I'm sure he was devasted. BTW..he's not a kid
He's a teenager playing junior hockey. Sorry but he's still just a kid.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
jsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Canada is the most respected hockey county in the world. Having our team captain show poor sportsmanship like that doesn't look good not only on him but the rest of the country as well.

Obviously you are from Windsor and i'm sure if this kid was from anywhere else your opinion changes.

Everyone has been talking about how childish Sweden acted this year. There is no need to stoop that low.

Old
01-06-2011, 03:12 PM
CanadaOne

Quote:
He's a teenager playing junior hockey. Sorry but he's still just a kid.
Ryan Ellis is 20

Old
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Ottomatic

Where is your thread of Bobkov and his underage drinking?

Old
01-06-2011, 06:10 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Where is your thread of Bobkov and his underage drinking?
Wow.

Can't you just admit that Ellis acted poorly when the medals were handed out? I understand the disappointment, but it's no excuse for poor sportsmanship. I was very glad to see he put it around his neck a short while later.

And if you think for a moment that Team Canada wouldn't have had a few (or several!) drinks if they had taken the gold, you're dreaming.

Quit trying to deflect attention from your boy.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Wow.

Can't you just admit that Ellis acted poorly when the medals were handed out? I understand the disappointment, but it's no excuse for poor sportsmanship. I was very glad to see he put it around his neck a short while later.

And if you think for a moment that Team Canada wouldn't have had a few (or several!) drinks if they had taken the gold, you're dreaming.

Quit trying to deflect attention from your boy.
How about you look about 10 posts up where I comment on the issue. This is just typical piling on - people are arguing if he's 19 or 20. So if you're going to create a thread calling out Ellis for his decisions, then why not Bobkov?

Ellis isn't my boy. Keep hating on him though, it's a sign of jealousy.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:32 PM
jsting

i could care less about Bobkov...he doesn't repersent my country..Ellis does.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsting View Post
Canada is the most respected hockey county in the world. Having our team captain show poor sportsmanship like that doesn't look good not only on him but the rest of the country as well.

Obviously you are from Windsor and i'm sure if this kid was from anywhere else your opinion changes.

Everyone has been talking about how childish Sweden acted this year. There is no need to stoop that low.
I think you care too much. It's nice that Canada is the most respected hockey country in the world doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. I enjoy watching the World Juniors and I am not going to get into that fan boy garbage of judging individuals. I never said a word about the Russian players afterwards, never said a word about Sweden either.

Obviously my opinion changes? Wrong. I don't even care who did what making conclusions and judgments off something that happens in a spur of the moment is one of the most knee jerk things a person can do.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:11 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Ellis isn't my boy. Keep hating on him though, it's a sign of jealousy.
Who's jealous? And of what?

I'm not hating on him at all -- I'm not his biggest fan, but we agree that he could have handled himself better last night, especially as team captain.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:48 PM
OHLTG

Should Ellis have held the medal instead of putting it on his neck at the start? Yes.

Is he like any other teen/young adult who has emotions and doesn't always do the right thing immediately? Yes.

Am I going to get upset for what he did? No.

Would I have been happy if he didn't put it on eventually? No.

Things happen. It could have been worse.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
jsting

[QUOTE=RayzorIsDull;30031963]I think you care too much. It's nice that Canada is the most respected hockey country in the world doesn't mean a hill of beans to me. I enjoy watching the World Juniors and I am not going to get into that fan boy garbage of judging individuals. I never said a word about the Russian players afterwards, never said a word about Sweden either.

Obviously my opinion changes? Wrong. I don't even care who did what making conclusions and judgments off something that happens in a spur of the moment is one of the most knee jerk things a person can do.[/QUOTE]

spur of the moment....so say a dirty head hit is made..it happens..one of those spur of the moment type things...still stupid and unsportsmanlike and you know damn well people, including yourself will criticize what that player did in the "spur of the moment". Obviously Ellis didn't knock someones head off but his actions were still stupid and unsportsmanlike

Old
01-09-2011, 01:36 AM
pass the bisk

Welcome to the pressures of representing Candada in international competition

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:46 AM
jughead42*

I'm surprised anybody bothered to respond to an obvious troll thread. I can't wait until some of the Sarnia Stink start acting like normal teen kids so I can post about how lame they are for doing so. Jsting, Ryan Ellis does not represent you so relax. If he did represent you, he'd be wearing a dunce cap instead of a helmet and silver medal. Your welcome.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:36 PM
jsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I'm surprised anybody bothered to respond to an obvious troll thread. I can't wait until some of the Sarnia Stink start acting like normal teen kids so I can post about how lame they are for doing so. Jsting, Ryan Ellis does not represent you so relax. If he did represent you, he'd be wearing a dunce cap instead of a helmet and silver medal. Your welcome.
typically windsor fan....run to the rescue of your little golden boy ellis..or should i say silver boy.

Ellis played for team Canada, he represented that county. I happen to be from Canada, so therefore he represented me and the millions of other people who live in Canada. I and i'm sure many others did not like the fact that he showed poor sportsmanship while he represent the county we live in and are apart of. Did you understand that? or do they not have school in your trailer park?