HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

a rant. of the good kind. sort of.

Old
01-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
a rant. of the good kind. sort of.

im getting emotional here. this is gotta be my favorite group of guys to play for the Rangers in a while. yea, i liked the Messier Graves Leetch days, and no doubt i loved/love Jagr but wow...all this home grown talent and watching guys like Dubinsky and Callahan grow into first line guys (yes i said it) and Anisimov is only getting better, Stepan comes into the league and has turned heads, he's going to be our first line center for a while. (screw Richards IMO ) MZA was a great signing from the start i was amped on the guy from the get-go and wow..just wow, for some reason i don't know if it's because hes a little **** or what but hes rapidly becoming my favorite. he will be a star for us. Yes, we have Gaborik but this year has shown us that it's not all about him the other guys can play well and win games without him. He's a piece of the puzzle, (a big piece, no doubt, he's a 40+ goal guy when healthy) but he's not the whole thing like last year, carrying all the weight on his shoulders.

Feds is outstanding, he brings it every game he's out there and i love this guy. Boyle....ahhh Boyle...wow is all i can say. He's showing me that he's not just pulling a Voros a few years ago, but that he can actually play and theres a reason he was drafted in the first round and not just to "be a big guy and hit some people". LA IMHO just didn't utilize his full potential.

Staal-one of the best shut down D-men in the league and we should keep him until he retires. Sauer, Girardi, and even Eminger (i said it) Eminger is playing really well and made some moves in the game against Carolina that made him look like he's getting paid 4mil per year and his value IMO is higher now than it ever has been in his entire career.

We have one of the best Goalies in the league...world. hands down. Hank has more shutouts at this point in his short career than Richter in his entire tenure here. (sorry for the comparison)
and Prust. he's our little rascal.

some players (cough:: frolov, white, Rosy) still need to be weeded out but seriously i can't remember the last time we had 3 lines who could bring it game in and game out. most of them are from within and not signed to rediculous contracts in the off season and are over 32 years old playing like theyre 42.

i can't remember the last season i loved almost everything about this team, (it'll be a while until i love their PP but hey) and theres going to be bad games and things that we struggle with but i just have a good feeling. something good is coming. could be this year, could be next year. but something def big (and shiny) is heading our way boys. and i'm loving it.

sorry, i'm living in florida lately so no one to talk hockey with down here, just thought i'd spill some red and blue guts to ya guys. no one likes long posts. i need a beer.

Staals girlfriend is hot.

-Sean

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
You're right, we have a great thing going for us this year. I'm hoping this year will be looked back on as the year we started to get our **** together. Unfortunately I do not feel completely comfortable though. I don't know how much longer Sather's "patience" will last but I sincerely hope building from within is the new Sather.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 06:36 AM
raist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
You're right, we have a great thing going for us this year. I'm hoping this year will be looked back on as the year we started to get our **** together. Unfortunately I do not feel completely comfortable though. I don't know how much longer Sather's "patience" will last but I sincerely hope building from within is the new Sather.
I had my doubts about Sathers patience as well, but this year is showing him pretty clearly, that it is the right path. I cant see him changing the course, when the team is performing this way.

raist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Thumpz

I hear you. This is the first season since the lockout where I would be upset if I missed watching a single game. This team brings it in pretty much every game, (There are exceptions, ugh, the panthers?) and even if they're down by two, I still feel as though we have a shot at the win.

The best thing about this team is the excitement! A full core of young homegrown players, who every night can show you why they're making themselves get recognized as first liners who put it all on the line by blocking shots and standing up for each other. Not enough can be said about the potential of Step, Dubi, Cally, Boyle, Prust, Staal, etc etc etc. 3 years from now, and a few dumped contracts, and I can see this team easily leading the East, assuming Sather doesn't screw them over again, but I feel like Torts has a good read on him now.

PS; I'm in Florida too, and I feel your pain. Staal's girlfriend is indeed hot.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm starting to think that the cap was the best thing to happen to this team.

Could we be entering a new era where teams have to keep a core of home-grown talent together because of the cap? Will there be less movement of players going forward?

I don't know, but I know I like this group.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Balej20*

There's literally no other way to build a team anymore other than home grown. Sather is getting way too much credit these days. It's the salary cap forcing him to keep these young kids...coupled with his bad salary cap management mistakes.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
There's literally no other way to build a team anymore other than home grown. Sather is getting way too much credit these days. It's the salary cap forcing him to keep these young kids...coupled with his bad salary cap management mistakes.
Nobody's giving sather a lot of credit or too much at all, looking beyond his past and appreciating what he's done lately, this past offseason, and what he's not done for the positive, is what people are giving him credit for. and obviously the cap limits what a gm could do, but it's not forcing him to develop a core, his patience is developing the core. His cap management mistakes if anything are keeping him in check with what he is doing now, or can do now. If you don't like sather so be it but dont try and make excuses to say what's happened hasn't been a direct result of his getting his **** together, implementing a new mindset, being patient and developing a team. He did that and I,as well as pretty much everyone else here gives him credit for that.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:27 AM
broadwayblue

You like this team...just wait another year or two. There will be more home grown talent on the big squad, and todays' young guys will have some experience. That is assuming we stay on target and don't do anything like the Rangers of old would do.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
im getting emotional here. this is gotta be my favorite group of guys to play for the Rangers in a while. yea, i liked the Messier Graves Leetch days, and no doubt i loved/love Jagr but wow...all this home grown talent and watching guys like Dubinsky and Callahan grow into first line guys (yes i said it) and Anisimov is only getting better, Stepan comes into the league and has turned heads, he's going to be our first line center for a while. (screw Richards IMO ) MZA was a great signing from the start i was amped on the guy from the get-go and wow..just wow, for some reason i don't know if it's because hes a little **** or what but hes rapidly becoming my favorite. he will be a star for us. Yes, we have Gaborik but this year has shown us that it's not all about him the other guys can play well and win games without him. He's a piece of the puzzle, (a big piece, no doubt, he's a 40+ goal guy when healthy) but he's not the whole thing like last year, carrying all the weight on his shoulders.

Feds is outstanding, he brings it every game he's out there and i love this guy. Boyle....ahhh Boyle...wow is all i can say. He's showing me that he's not just pulling a Voros a few years ago, but that he can actually play and theres a reason he was drafted in the first round and not just to "be a big guy and hit some people". LA IMHO just didn't utilize his full potential.

Staal-one of the best shut down D-men in the league and we should keep him until he retires. Sauer, Girardi, and even Eminger (i said it) Eminger is playing really well and made some moves in the game against Carolina that made him look like he's getting paid 4mil per year and his value IMO is higher now than it ever has been in his entire career.

We have one of the best Goalies in the league...world. hands down. Hank has more shutouts at this point in his short career than Richter in his entire tenure here. (sorry for the comparison)
and Prust. he's our little rascal.

some players (cough:: frolov, white, Rosy) still need to be weeded out but seriously i can't remember the last time we had 3 lines who could bring it game in and game out. most of them are from within and not signed to rediculous contracts in the off season and are over 32 years old playing like theyre 42.

i can't remember the last season i loved almost everything about this team, (it'll be a while until i love their PP but hey) and theres going to be bad games and things that we struggle with but i just have a good feeling. something good is coming. could be this year, could be next year. but something def big (and shiny) is heading our way boys. and i'm loving it.

sorry, i'm living in florida lately so no one to talk hockey with down here, just thought i'd spill some red and blue guts to ya guys. no one likes long posts. i need a beer.

Staals girlfriend is hot.

-Sean
Its ok I live in GA and outside of Thrashers fans and there are a surprising amount, no one will talk hockey here either.

All I can say is THANK GOD for centre ice

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:00 AM
clmetsfan

I love, love, LOVE the fact that this team is never out of a game. This is the first time in my life as an informed hockey fan that I've been able to watch them go into the third period down a goal or even two and be fully confident that they'll at least be able to force OT.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

I agree totally with the op. I love how this team can't be counted out of any game, wether it's the league leading flyers,pens,caps this team has the tools and chance to win everygame, unlike last year a game against the pens or caps isn't a sure loss or bad game. I also love the direction of this team, the character growing from within and the character guys that are still to come, kreider,hagelin,bourque,dmac all hard working ranger type players. This team should be a steady league threat, if not already, very soon.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

The first year after the lockout. Picked to be 30th. It was like they didn't know they werent supposed to win.

This has been a refreshing comeback after missing the playoffs last year.

I came into this season without a lot of expectations and I have to say that now I will be disappointed if we were to miss again.

Keep it going boys

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Its ok I live in GA and outside of Thrashers fans and there are a surprising amount, no one will talk hockey here either.

All I can say is THANK GOD for centre ice
haha yea i had center ice for the first 2 years i lived down here. now money is kinda tight so i rely on streaming off myp2p or yahoo. either way when they play tampa i get to watch it, and it is a treat.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

and you guys are all right. our boys coming up are going to be huge as well. i can't remember a time where we had 2 solid lines let alone three and next season possibly 4 lines doing their jobs. like i said i loved Mess and Graves and Leetch and Richter but hey...those were the guys we relied on. now its like "oh Gabby lost the puck"..."oh thank God Duby got it..."...."cool our third line is out there, Boyle just scored" i mean it's great.

and yea we lost against the Panthers but we played alright. we played better in Florida than we did in our win against the Debbies imo. the florida game was just not our game. and probably a little shock from going from blizzard to 80 degrees. lol God i hate it here.

Old
01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
and you guys are all right. our boys coming up are going to be huge as well. i can't remember a time where we had 2 solid lines let alone three and next season possibly 4 lines doing their jobs. like i said i loved Mess and Graves and Leetch and Richter but hey...those were the guys we relied on. now its like "oh Gabby lost the puck"..."oh thank God Duby got it..."...."cool our third line is out there, Boyle just scored" i mean it's great.

and yea we lost against the Panthers but we played alright. we played better in Florida than we did in our win against the Debbies imo. the florida game was just not our game. and probably a little shock from going from blizzard to 80 degrees. lol God i hate it here.
Or got snakebitten in the swamps..

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:50 PM
mullichicken25

regaurdless of what people thought going in to the season, not enough props can be given to Torts for how his team has played

this is far cry from the most talented roster we've had in a while...but i'll be damned if they aren't the hardest working and most unified

thats leadership and coaching right there

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Cat View Post
Or got snakebitten in the swamps..
lol touche

Old
01-06-2011, 02:45 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Might be the only one who doesn't see much improvement in the overall squad in terms of production throughout the last few years.

I might just be getting so pessimistic that I'm blind, but I'm sure it's not at that point now.

Something will go wrong, it has to. I do like how we're younger, but Sather can't "not **** up" too much longer. Plus the injury bug is killing us, Gaborik can't score, and guys like Prust's and Boyle's aren't going to keep up miracle seasons. Our reality check will come in the second half and we'll fight for a 7th/8th spot the last few weeks as usual.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Might be the only one who doesn't see much improvement in the overall squad in terms of production throughout the last few years.

I might just be getting so pessimistic that I'm blind, but I'm sure it's not at that point now.

Something will go wrong, it has to. I do like how we're younger, but Sather can't "not **** up" too much longer. Plus the injury bug is killing us, Gaborik can't score, and guys like Prust's and Boyle's aren't going to keep up miracle seasons. Our reality check will come in the second half and we'll fight for a 7th/8th spot the last few weeks as usual.
This is my only fear. I don't think Prust and Boyle are having "miracle" seasons...they have ridiculous chemistry and aren't even overachieving that much. Boyle has a lot of goals but only, what, 22 points in total I think? Prust is rewarded for his hard work and PK ability.

Yet I fear all the time something is going to happen because of Sather and we're all going to realize this was all too good to be true.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post

Boyle's season isn't much of a miracle. He's just a better player than he was last year. Prior to that, in the AHL and in College he scored at a pretty ridiculous pace. Then, last year, he came here and had a mediocre year on a mediocre team. Now he's worked on his skating, obviously he has more confidence, and he's just a more experienced, better player.

Prust has gotten more ice time this year than ever before in his entire career - by a lot. Calgary's coach wrote him off as a 13th forward or just a fighter right away. Torts and the rest of the staff actually saw what he could do and now they've put him in a place that is best for both him and the team. He's not going to score a ton of goals but he has been playing great two way hockey recently and thats because he's more experienced and because he's actually being given a chance. It's not a miracle.

And, more generally, the injury bug is already killing them and they're succeeding despite it. Also, Gaborik has always been a good scorer - he hasn't lost his skill, we're judging him based on 26 games so far. He's slower than usual for sure but it's on a small scale compared to how much success he's had.

I'm not sure that this team is a serious contender yet by any means but they're getting noticeably better and the future looks bright to me.

Although you never can count out Sather's idiocy. He's doing right by me for now, but I'm not 100% sure its going to last.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
It is nice to see the youth starting to pan out. But that does not mean we should horde all these kids. Not all of them are going to make it. If Sather can grab us a center for some young guys I'm down for it. I would hope guys like Grachev, Sauer, ect could get something done.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote