HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

What's the "Big" move?

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Kev22

vCash: 500
What's the "Big" move?

Portzline and Torgerson are both reporting their sources are telling them that the CBJ are working on a "big" deal that could be completed in the next 24 hours.

What's considered a "big" move. Are we talking difference makers coming to the Jackets or is it simply the quantity of players?

Does anyone want to venture a prediction on this "big" move? I know that Richards, Malkin, etc. would be great here, but really does anyone expect Howson to be able to pull that off?

Old
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Portzline and Torgerson are both reporting their sources are telling them that the CBJ are working on a "big" deal that could be completed in the next 24 hours.

What's considered a "big" move. Are we talking difference makers coming to the Jackets or is it simply the quantity of players?

Does anyone want to venture a prediction on this "big" move? I know that Richards, Malkin, etc. would be great here, but really does anyone expect Howson to be able to pull that off?
I suspect that by big it may mean one or two small pieces and the center piece being a 3rd line player....

So if its anything more than a 3rd liner and a depth defenseman, I will be pleasantly surprised

Old
01-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

continuing the Jim Rome theme that DSL put on me....

"War more AHL players"!

Old
01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Skraut

Relocating to Kansas City would be a "Big Move"

Old
01-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

commodore, wilson, and a 2nd for Kaberle (have to overpay to rid us of commie)

hejda for roszival

book it done! MT's head explode's (E5)

Old
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Kev22

So by your guys responses, you believe the status quo. All talk, no substance?

Old
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
EDM

Whatever it is, it will involve Commie in some way. No way will there be a "big trade" that leaves Commie a Jacket. The suggestion about Commie and a pick for Kaberle does not sound off base.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Whatever it is, it will involve Commie in some way. No way will there be a "big trade" that leaves Commie a Jacket. The suggestion about Commie and a pick for Kaberle does not sound off base.
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC and has said, numerous times, that he will only waive it for trade to a team in the East?

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
i almost think, even if Kabs walks in the offseason, we still "win"

Old
01-06-2011, 10:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
So by your guys responses, you believe the status quo. All talk, no substance?
No, just not enough substance... Unless Howson can find a way to move Brassard....

Old
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
CBJ to Cleveland for the Cavs and the rights to the Cuyahoga?

Old
01-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Doesn't Kaberle have a NTC and has said, numerous times, that he will only waive it for trade to a team in the East?
I believe he said he wants to be close to home...we're the eastern most west conf team...I think we could probably use that...plus by january is over most of our far west trips are done...

Old
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox2usp View Post
Yes. His NTC is back in effect.

Big Move would be moving Commie + a few pieces for someone.

I also think claiming Marc-Andre Burgeron for his 1 Million this year wouldn't be bad. Gives us a cannon from the point, and his D can't be any worse than Stralman.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
commodore, wilson, and a 2nd for Kaberle (have to overpay to rid us of commie)

hejda for roszival

book it done! MT's head explode's (E5)
If we really wanted her head to asplode include Mayorov in the deal. I kid, MT, I kid.

No seriously I heard we're going to coax Gretzky out of retirement AND he'll be in playing shape. Sort of. Bonuses in his contract are based on the number of red-faced screaming fits he gets in on the bench.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Kev22

Quote:
This would be a real good move for Columbus, because if Kaberle wouldn't re-sign here (which is likely) and we moved Commodore to get him, it would result in cap space for the offseason.

I've said in another thread a Havlat/Barker combination wouldn't surprise me, the Devils talk is valid, I think the Pens talk is bunk, why would they make any changes when they are clicking on all cylinders. Teams that need cap relief but would be willing to take back Commodore, I'm sure are in play. It will be interesting if this deal happens.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:09 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
I asked the same thing last night...does "large" mean we get one or two major players, or are 5 or 6 spare parts between the two teams finding new jerseys to wear? Either way, with Moreau going to IR and Wilson waived, there are two roster spots open.

I think the goings-on can be best summed up by the first line in the following:

I can't see him getting a Richards, Malkin, etc., but if he somehow finds a way to pull that off, wouldn't that be something. I still wouldn't be surprised to see us snatch Bergeron off waivers from the Lightning...that crossed my mind last night.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:15 AM
GScott

I don't think Commodore will be part of it. No one is going to take that contract. I see him being waived or loaned to a European team.

I also hope we are not sending roster players to Dallas for Richards. Unless it's a sign and trade which would not make sense for Dallas. The odds of him resigning here are slim and I would not want to give up Brassard, Voracek , etc... for a 2-3 month rental. Now for Malkin I would give up Voracek/Brassard/#1 pick. Throw in Russell, Tyutin, or Hejda and try to add Goligoski to the package. I know Malkin is a dream but Voracek could finally be the winger Shero has been looking for to play with Crosby.

Now that fantasy time is over, my guess is he picks up Bergeron off waivers and moves a combination of Boll/Dorsett/Russell for another 3rd/4th liner. Howson has managed to pull off one really good trade (Vermette) so I'm not expecting anything really substantial.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Old
01-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Kev22

To me the most striking thing is that Howson has been so overly patient in his tenure that he's lost all the confidence of the fans. "Paging Mr. Priest, Mr. Mike Priest, please pick up the white courtesy phone." The responses in this thread have zero confidence he can pull off a real "game changing" trade so to speak.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:20 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Reading material: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Howson has managed to pull off one really good trade (Vermette) so I'm not expecting anything really substantial.
Eh, I'd give him credit for Jason Williams for Clay Wilson+6th. That was a gamble that played out to be high reward for peanuts. The drawback was that he wasn't re-signed.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 01-06-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
EDM

To me gaining "cap space" is no real accomplishment since Howson would never use it effectively. The most likely use of that space would be to resign Methot for 4 years at 3.5 million per year.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:35 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Iginla would be interesting

Old
01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2400
I am thinking Umberger will be involved in a trade ( I hope not) but that is what I am thinking. Thinking blockbuster.

Now for lunch, I am thinking Arby's

Old
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

There are big deals and BLOCKBUSTER deals.

CBJ big deals: Vermette deal, JWilliams deal

BLOCKBUSTER deals: Phaneuf for an entire team of fringe players, Pronger deal to Philly, Kovalchuk deal

I believe it's the former, a solid secondary type scorer, not a blockbuster.

Old
01-06-2011, 10:45 AM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

I think just moving Commie would be a big trade

Closed Thread