HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the "Big" move?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
His biggest mistake last summer was standing pat on his blueline. He knew what he had and had his fingers crossed that they would miraculously be better than last year. The old dog new tricks theme hasn't worked too well.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
Bingo you win the prize. Same scouts since day one. Please repeat after me Anze Kopitar, How is Mr. Brule doing these days?
Again, just ignore the facts that say Boyd and company wanted to draft Kopitar and were overruled by MacLean.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
The guys reporting all the rumors are bloggers and the guys close to the Jackets work for the Columbus Dispatch as the beat writers. You can't even compare the two.
Eric Smith is with FSOhio. Torg also works for the Dispatch empire. This isn't all coming from gray market sources.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
CBJfan4evr

A little more lore ... How about Alex Goligoski instead of Alexander Picard or Adam Pinneault? Alex seems to be a hot commodity on these board right now.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Again, just ignore the facts that say Boyd and company wanted to draft Kopitar and were overruled by MacLean.
They did also select Picard, no? And our long line of failed 2nd rounders? Or did Doug overrule them 100% of the time?

Old
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I think if you piece together Eric Smith's recent posts you get a similar impression.
If the deal he was referring to was for JJ then I want to know what he's smoking because saying it would "rock the city" is a joke. I bet at least 90% of the fans at NWA each game would have no idea who Johnson is (and/or would think the Jackets acquired the musician by the same name).

Old
01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
MFRONE

Quote:
They did also select Picard, no? And our long line of failed 2nd rounders? Or did Doug overrule them 100% of the time?
Ah yes the "We should have drafted _____" game.

I love how on the boards this kind of situation only happens to the Jackets and never to any other teams in the league.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:04 PM
61ncville

I think its funny how now people are arguing with each other on here. And in response to they work for the dispatch, i do understand that. The comment was more reffering to the post not being true since we hadnt heard anything from our guys about things fallin through or names.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
CBJfan4evr

You can move either direction and find these failures. The only thing that gives me solace here is that the draft is a crapshoot. Problem is that everyone has there day in the sun. In our case those days are very limited. Couple that with a GM that can't attract FA's or make trades to incrementally improve the team and you have a big problem.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Palinka

Quote:
We have a GM that essentially sat out 50% of the off-seasons he's been here, but the evil fans are impatient. I'm so sick of that nonsense.
And if the Chimera (plus spare parts) for Ehrhoff deal had been done last summer, we're not having any of these conversations right now. But that one goes on Doug Wilson, not on Scott Howson.

A common theme seems to be confusing what's said publicly with what's done privately. A lot of folks were blindsided by the fact that Chimera ended up being traded, not knowing that he'd been on the block and had been actively shopped for several months before that. Commodore has been shopped for several months. Pretty much every player, prospect, and draft pick that has been around in the last three-plus seasons has been the center of trade discussions with other teams. This isn't Nero sitting by while Rome burns, this is someone who's constantly working the rest of the league and trying to find ways to improve the team.

But, because of the fact that he's not going to talk publicly about it, the perception is (wrongly) that Scott Howson is someone who sits on the sidelines and watches while everyone else makes moves. Nothing could be further than the truth, but the fact that he doesn't publicly say anything except for the same non-committal things that he's always said is a very sharp contrast to the Doug MacLean style, who would never fail to pat himself on the back in public about how hard he was trying to make moves.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:07 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
If the deal he was referring to was for JJ then I want to know what he's smoking because saying it would "rock the city" is a joke. I bet at least 90% of the fans at NWA each game would have no idea who Johnson is (and/or would think the Jackets acquired the musician by the same name).
Well, we don't know I'd there was another piece coming back and we don't know what we were offering. If a fan favorite was going the other way, it could have rocked the city in a negative way even if the trade was a win.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:08 PM
61ncville

Also hitch was the fall guy for this team not playing well, the guy has a chance to improve the D in the draft this year and passes on Cam Fowler. I think Capn has a point is all i am sayin.

Just like in any other sport, cant fire the players or the owner. The coach was already canned, looks like your next scott.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Maybe "rock the city" was referring to the price Howson would have had to pay for JMFJ.

Old
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Ah yes the "We should have drafted _____" game.

I love how on the boards this kind of situation only happens to the Jackets and never to any other teams in the league.
We're talking about a "build through the draft only" strategy. So, yes, the failings of our scouts are relevant.

Old
Palinka

To touch briefly on the previous draft issues, there literally was never a plan going into any draft from 2000-06 except for "pick some guys". MacLean had to have the first-rounder, and after that it was throwing darts with no guidance and with no set plan.

One of the biggest changes when the regime change took place was that plans were implemented. I said back in June that the biggest contrast from the early drafts is that the only players drafted are those with a high hockey IQ who are coachable and have a high work ethic. The thinking is that it's much more likely to see a physically-immature kid with great vision add size, strength, and speed than it is for someone to suddenly develop the instincts that he's never shown in the previous 14 years of hockey.

And the end result has been that pretty much every draft pick since 2007 is still a legitimate prospect. With the earlier ones, there were guys who were obviously on their way out of hockey a year after burning a draft pick on them.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:13 PM
61ncville

I do agree with some of the things palinka posted. I dont need a guy thats ra ra but, I guess I am mad we stood pat all summer and did nothing to the D when he had to know that was gonna be a problem. Also cant get over the cam fowler thing

Old
01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ncville View Post
I do agree with some of the things palinka posted. I dont need a guy thats ra ra but, I guess I am mad we stood pat all summer and did nothing to the D when he had to know that was gonna be a problem. Also cant get over the cam fowler thing
johansen was a better pick than fowler because of the defensive prospect depth we had (especially johnny moore) already. we were lacking, noticeably, at center so the jackets took the player they needed.

cam fowler could have been put in the same starting situation here in columbus and absolutely gotten rocked and flopped and ruined. if you have seen johansen play, you know he is going to be the real deal and you understand he was an awesome pick.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'm not too upset over fowler b/c of the amount of other teams that passed on him...there was something there that ppl didn't like...and I think RJ will be a stud for us

Old
01-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ncville View Post
Also hitch was the fall guy for this team not playing well, the guy has a chance to improve the D in the draft this year and passes on Cam Fowler. I think Capn has a point is all i am sayin.

Just like in any other sport, cant fire the players or the owner. The coach was already canned, looks like your next scott.
I remember about 15 years ago, the Rangers picked up a re-draft named Daniel Goneau in the second round. He went on a tear in the first quarter of the season, causing the Bruins fans out there to wring their hands over how they had picked him and never signed him. Long story short, Goneau's NHL career ended up being 53 games.

About 20 years earlier, the Detroit Tigers drafted a catcher in the first round, passing on another catcher who would become the AL Rookie of the Year and make two All-Star teams before that first-rounder played a single game in Detroit. I think it was "Baseball Digest" that had a big article about how dumb the Tigers were to pass on Butch Wynegar to draft Lance Parrish...all I know is, they probably stopped being dumb about five years after the pick was made.

It's halfway through the first season. Ryan Johansen has looked terrific, and Cam Fowler hasn't looked out of place either. We have no idea what the future holds for either, but I'm not going to hold "a chance to draft Fowler" against the current regime.

Old
01-09-2011, 05:21 PM
61ncville

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post
johansen was a better pick than fowler because of the defensive prospect depth we had (especially johnny moore) already. we were lacking, noticeably, at center so the jackets took the player they needed.

cam fowler could have been put in the same starting situation here in columbus and absolutely gotten rocked and flopped and ruined. if you have seen johansen play, you know he is going to be the real deal and you understand he was an awesome pick.
While I do agree that johnsen is a nice player. You cant argue the fact that fowler is producing at this level and while we do have depth(the magic word around our team) no of that in there words is ready. So am I happy with our pick so far, sure. But when we cant hit the net from the point and our defenseman have little or know points I believe fowler could have def helped this. And yes alot of teams did pass on fowler, but no other team is a starved for a point producer on the back end as we are IMO. Though I do hope moore will be good along with the other.

Closed Thread