HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Dave Bolland from the hawks be available?

Old
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Could Dave Bolland from the hawks be available?

On the trade board it was suggested that both Dave Bolland and Jack Skille are available.

Both players are players I am interested in.

Bolland has 3 years at 3.375 after this year and while not being a number one center(I think Gagner can still be that) Bolland could and would address problems the oilers are having elsewhere. Bolland is just 25 years of age and Skille is 24(at .875 and then RFA). Skille is a RW.

Bolland is a good two way center and his play does not always turn up on the score sheet and Skille is a gritter guy at 6 feet and i think would be perfect for the third line of the oilers.

here is the link to the discussion board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=861355

fourth period

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/chi101231.html

it is suggested that the hawks are looking for either a two way winger with scoring (ie Hemsky) or someone like Penner.

From my perspective Bolland and Skille address two of the oilers most desperate needs and both are young enough to develop and have been around for a cup run while being vets, can relate to the kids

should the oilers inquire to the hawks to see what it would take to get them?

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
As long as the price isn't unreasonable, I'd make that move to get them both, they are exactly what this team needs going forward.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2768
I really don't know if I'd move Bolland right now if I'm the Hawks.

This is TFP afterall and they've been as accurate as Eklund at times.

Even Skille he is still fairly young and a former top 10. Are they really that desparate for a change?

I'd love to have both and if it were for Penner I'd probably do it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:34 AM
AUAIOMRN

Just because a player played on a cup winning team doesn't mean they are amazing at what they do. I thought Fraser would have proved that by now.

Penner or Hemsky for these guys is ridiculous.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:42 AM
copperandblue

Bolland was instrumental in the Hawks winning the cup. He a great playoff run but his regular seasons seems a little iffy given his pricetag. He would be a little more a appealing if he was better on face offs too.

Tough call, I don't think I would move Penner or Hemsky for him alone but if you could some how pull a fast one and get him for a little less I would jump on it.

Seems like a strange move by the Hawks, they get a lot of props for building their team the "right" way but I am not convinced they didn't back their way into having a great team.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:47 AM
tv14

I like Bolland and he would probably be a nice fit here, but just not a fan of his contract.

Skille I would make a move for. Would be a really nice addition for our 3rd/4th line. Hes big, can fly and has decent offensive upside.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

I like Bolland but is it just me or is he getting paid a tad too much?

I liked him in the playoffs last year but I have to wonder how much he really does with a guy like Toews on the Hawks. Toews gets the tough matchups and takes the key faceoffs so maybe Bolland is a little sheltered? I don't really know, just speculating.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I like Bolland but is it just me or is he getting paid a tad too much?

I liked him in the playoffs last year but I have to wonder how much he really does with a guy like Toews on the Hawks. Toews gets the tough matchups and takes the key faceoffs so maybe Bolland is a little sheltered? I don't really know, just speculating.
A tad much, but not bad considering a guy like Malhotra makes 2.5mil.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

The Hawks moving Bolland makes sense from a financial standpoint since they're $600K from the cap and Seabrook's contract is up at the end of the year.

It doesn't make sense for them to move him from a hockey standpoint though. He's their go-to guy for defensive situations, and their center depth is already hurting so much they had Pisani at center at the start of the year (is MacT coaching the Hawks this year?).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Oilers make a move for Bolland. While he's never been above 50% on the faceoff dot, he's a good penalty killer, and gets good results in defensive situations. I'm not sure he's worth giving up Hemsky to get though (and that doesn't help Chicago's cap situation either).

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:15 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
A tad much, but not bad considering a guy like Malhotra makes 2.5mil.
Comparing him to Malhotra makes it look worse. Malhotra is more than $1M cheaper and much better in that role.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
backhandsauce

Bolland for Cogliano?

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Comparing him to Malhotra makes it look worse. Malhotra is more than $1M cheaper and much better in that role.
Agreed. Malhotra is a vet and he is one of the best face off men in the league. He's more valuable than Bolland and his contract is a little easier to swallow.

I'm just not totally sold on how valuable Malhotra is in the playoffs.. he was in Columbus for a bit and was with San Jose last season. We'll see if he can help the Canucks get deep or not.

Old
rigger

Bolland = Pitlick
Skille = Hamilton

Patience guys, we're getting there, slowly but surely.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
backhandsauce

Also I think the Oilers should make a move for Commodore. Adding Bolland and Commodore would really help out our grit and PK.

Did anyone see how Bolland got into the Sedins head in the playoffs. We need that!

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I don't know Malhotra is 6 or 7 years older and doesn't have the offensive potential of Bolland. I by no means am saying Malhotra isn't good or that Bolland is getting fair value, but Bolland's contract is workable for this club.

Old
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

penner for skille and jarmilisson

sorry about the spelling

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CorpseFX

i thought Bolland was a near-Hall of Famer after last years playoffs like most of the "Famous Oiler Bloggers" and journalists touted it (im being facetious). those playoffs really do build the hype machine. just look at the three games that got Fraser a contract here and he flat out blows.

i dont know, i think hes way overhyped but if they could get him for a decent deal for the third line, so be it. i understand what hes good at, i think hes just way, way, way overvalued as a mythic "FOLK HERO" after all the media hype. and i really doubt Chicago would trade him off right now.

45% in the dot this year?
well that covers Cogliano i guess, by 2%

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
i thought Bolland was a near-Hall of Famer after last years playoffs like most of the "Famous Oiler Bloggers" and journalists touted it (im being facetious). those playoffs really do build the hype machine. just look at the three games that got Fraser a contract here and he flat out blows.

i dont know, i think hes way overhyped but if they could get him for a decent deal for the third line, so be it. i understand what hes good at, i think hes just way, way, way overvalued as a mythic "FOLK HERO" after all the media hype. and i really doubt Chicago would trade him off right now.

45% in the dot this year?
well that covers Cogliano i guess, by 2%
He was 49.4% last year, but it seems he is a 45-50% guy. Having him would also give Horcs a break on taking all the draws too.

Old
misfit
5-14-6-1

I just remembered that Bolland wears #36...who wears #36?! Nobodies, that's who.

I no longer want him on this team.

Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

Bolland would be a decent fit but I wouldn't pay anything more than Brule or Cogliano and nothing higher than a 4th rounder.

I think chicago could probably get a better offer than that somewhere else.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
The Hawks moving Bolland makes sense from a financial standpoint since they're $600K from the cap and Seabrook's contract is up at the end of the year.
Isn't the league projecting a $3 mil increase in the cap next year? I know it's only a projection but it's enough to gamble on instead of shedding assets.

I don't think they have any rookie bonuses to worry about next year either.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysauce View Post
Also I think the Oilers should make a move for Commodore. Adding Bolland and Commodore would really help out our grit and PK.

Did anyone see how Bolland got into the Sedins head in the playoffs. We need that!
I'd rather just give the rebuild at least until the end of this season, maybe another year and see what we've got. Then make moves to fill holes.

What's the point in patching up our team right now? We're better off just sucking for the rest of the year and drafting in the top 3. Patching up the team now of all times would do nothing aside from giving us a worse 1st round pick at the draft.

I'm all for patching up the team in the off season though but I'd be willing to wait another year too just to assess what we have now. I'd hate to acquire an expensive vet like Commodore only to see Peckham or Plante end up being the better dman.

Just look at Chicago, they stuck with a bad team for a few years and not only did they draft Toews and Kane but guys like Keith developed very well in that time. They did jump the gun in acquiring Campbell which probably prevented them from keeping Byfuglien and Ladd but hey, they won a cup.

Old
01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

I wonder if you could get a little something out of the Hawks in a deal involving Penner, I mean with Buff gone, they need the big presence.

Maybe

To CHI: Penner, Cogliano and Chorney

To EDM: Bolland, Skille and Leddy

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Bryanbryoil

Way too much money for what he brings. We need a top line center, once we get one Horcoff drops down to the 3rd spot and suddenly guys aren't playing in over their heads.

01-06-2011, 12:30 PM
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Way too much money for what he brings. We need a top line center, once we get one Horcoff drops down to the 3rd spot and suddenly guys aren't playing in over their heads.
I agree that his contract is on the higher end for what he'd bring us (3rd line center), but I wouldn't feel bad paying him +3m as a 3rd line center if he can bring some size and sandpaper to a team that really needs it.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote