HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Getting to know the SM-liiga

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2011, 10:57 AM
  #1
kovnik
Registered User
 
kovnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country:
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Getting to know the SM-liiga

Hey,
i'm moving to Finland (Espoo) in one month and basically i know nothing about the finnish hockey league. The official site has an english part, but not that much information... I checked Wikipedia but most of the articles are rather short.
Are there any other websites not written in finnish, hard to find anything on the web.

Thanks in advance

kovnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
  #2
FinHockey
KRH Master Race
 
FinHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 13,755
vCash: 500
What would you like to know? Maybe we Finnish posters can help?

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 11:48 AM
  #3
raystorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Jokerit-in english

Some of the finnish teams are little information in english on there pages like Jokerit. Don't know you know much for the league so let's start basics. You come to Espoo so there is 3 teams close to you. In Espoo there is one team Blues. In Helsinki there is two teams which are Jokerit and HIFK.

I don't know websites in english. SM-liiga's site's sucks in finnish already so, in english can't even imagine.

But ask for more. Me and some other guys will help u as much as we can.

raystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
  #4
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see HIFK games, great stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Elite_League

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 12:54 PM
  #5
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see HIFK games, great stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Elite_League
Our games are actually pretty quiet nowadays

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
  #6
Emppu
Registered User
 
Emppu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Málaga, Andalucía
Country: Spain
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
JYP Jyväskylä if you want to see amazing hockey

If you're moving to Espoo you have Espoo Blues, which are doing a good season. It's up to you. I own a SM-Liiga website but it is in Spanish, and I don't think you know Spanish (maybe you do )

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
  #7
ThinMcWhistle
Registered User
 
ThinMcWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern hemisphere
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emppu View Post
JYP Jyväskylä if you want to see amazing hockey

If you're moving to Espoo you have Espoo Blues, which are doing a good season. It's up to you. I own a SM-Liiga website but it is in Spanish, and I don't think you know Spanish (maybe you do )
Hey, what's the website url, my brother is a huge hockey fan and and even bigger fan of the Spanish language and culture. He would love to join your site.

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
  #8
ThinMcWhistle
Registered User
 
ThinMcWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern hemisphere
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovnik View Post
Hey,
i'm moving to Finland (Espoo) in one month and basically i know nothing about the finnish hockey league. The official site has an english part, but not that much information... I checked Wikipedia but most of the articles are rather short.
Are there any other websites not written in finnish, hard to find anything on the web.

Thanks in advance
This is not specifically about the SM liiga, but might be a site where you can get some good information on moving to Finland, etc. There is also a sports section there and some chatter about the SM liiga.

http://www.finlandforum.org

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:43 AM
  #9
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
There used to be weekly english report in SM-Liiga page but not anymore I guess...what a surprise.

I remembered a discussion here few years ago and searched it:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=415166

and found a nice link, check it out:

(Nickname, TampereOwl's blog in english)

http://hockeyinfinland.wordpress.com/

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
  #10
Ciccarelli
Registered User
 
Ciccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
If you want to see the best crowd / best homegame atmosphere in finland go see Ässät games, great stuff
Here ya go, think you had a typo, fixed it for ya.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
  #11
slebbeog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: with polarbears
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
Here ya go, think you had a typo, fixed it for ya.


Oh and in case kovnik has some interest on stats, here's a good resource in english: http://eliteprospects.com/league.php...ga&season=2010

slebbeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
  #12
Emppu
Registered User
 
Emppu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Málaga, Andalucía
Country: Spain
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Bach View Post
Hey, what's the website url, my brother is a huge hockey fan and and even bigger fan of the Spanish language and culture. He would love to join your site.
I can't post it in here as I'm not a sponsor of HFboards. I'm trying to send a private message to you with the link but you have to delete some Private Messages, as it tells me that you have stored the maximum number of them

Emppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
  #13
ThinMcWhistle
Registered User
 
ThinMcWhistle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern hemisphere
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emppu View Post
I can't post it in here as I'm not a sponsor of HFboards. I'm trying to send a private message to you with the link but you have to delete some Private Messages, as it tells me that you have stored the maximum number of them
You can go ahead now, did some cleaning up..


ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:57 PM
  #14
TheMuumio
Registered User
 
TheMuumio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emppu View Post
JYP Jyväskylä if you want to see amazing hockey
Probably the most boring team in the league, yes they are effective, but that playing style is boring. And dear god the amount of hooking and grapping they do without being penalized for it. Also the best audience is in Pori especially on saturdays, so I'd suggest visiting there instead of IFK Ggames

TheMuumio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:47 AM
  #15
Juzmo
late april
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: here
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,192
vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuumio View Post
Probably the most boring team in the league, yes they are effective, but that playing style is boring. And dear god the amount of hooking and grapping they do without being penalized for it. Also the best audience is in Pori especially on saturdays, so I'd suggest visiting there instead of IFK Ggames
And actually after January the only Ässät-game on Saturday in the regular season is on the 26th of February against HIFK (quite weird since they have four homegames on Saturdays this month and two of them against Lukko) so if you are interested, it could be quite the experience.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:47 AM
  #16
kovnik
Registered User
 
kovnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country:
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the replies! I got a pretty good overview over the league..can't spell any names properly though..
I have been to Finland last week and had a look at the Blues, HIFK and Jokerit arenas,fan shops and fans! They constantly asked me "You know hockey in germany!?" Nice guys and very passionate. Saw also a match on TV, Blues - HPK iirc. Pretty cool stuff and i definitely got hooked on finnish hockey. Just have to learn "some" finnish now to read/understand the basic stuff..

kovnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 06:39 AM
  #17
The Right Price
Registered User
 
The Right Price's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
You should definitely become a fan of HIFK, since I know the GM's daughter They have a rich history and are kind of the Montréal Canadiens of Finland, without championships though, since many of their fans belong to a minority, Swedish speaking Finns.

I find Jokerit and Blues kind of soulless. Don't know why. But my favourite team is Lukko, just because of their logo.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:50 PM
  #18
WildHockey90
Registered User
 
WildHockey90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Norwich
Country: England
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
You should definitely become a fan of HIFK, since I know the GM's daughter They have a rich history and are kind of the Montréal Canadiens of Finland, without championships though, since many of their fans belong to a minority, Swedish speaking Finns.

I find Jokerit and Blues kind of soulless. Don't know why. But my favourite team is Lukko, just because of their logo.
A bit off-topic but that reminds me. Lukko's logo basically has a Fox (Kettu) on it right ?

so what is Lukko meant to mean ?

WildHockey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 12:58 PM
  #19
SharksAttack
Registered User
 
SharksAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHockey90 View Post
A bit off-topic but that reminds me. Lukko's logo basically has a Fox (Kettu) on it right ?

so what is Lukko meant to mean ?
Lukko = Lock and they should go back to their old logo


SharksAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 07:46 PM
  #20
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,164
vCash: 500
Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games. I live in northern Finland but sometimes I go to jokerits games because I love the arena. Jokerit - HIFK games are ultimate.. they have great atmosphere. Both teams allso have very great players.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2011, 11:16 PM
  #21
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games. I live in northern Finland but sometimes I go to jokerits games because I love the arena. Jokerit - HIFK games are ultimate.. they have great atmosphere. Both teams allso have very great players.
HIFK - Blues Games are much more interesting.

And nordis' is THE arena in Helsinki.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:40 AM
  #22
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
HIFK - Blues Games are much more interesting.

And nordis' is THE arena in Helsinki.
Arena? more like a barn

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
  #23
Latex*
DM is good
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki,Helsingfors
Posts: 5,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Arena? more like a barn
At least the fans in that old barn can make some noise...

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
  #24
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser
 
Qurpiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Jokerit has the Greatest arena, thats one reason to go to their games.
I love visiting high-tech churches.

My money for arenas to visit:

Hakametsä (Tampere) - Oldest arena in Finland, Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame. Come on.
Helsinki Ice Hall (HIFK) - Really good place for a hockey game.
Isomäen jäähalli (Ässät) - Best atmostphere in Finland, the best seats in the place are standing room. And a lot of it. However, Saturday games are the ones to look out for.

Failing all that, Talviklassikko (Jokerit-HIFK @ Olympic Stadium) sounds like a crazy fun time.


Last edited by Qurpiz: 01-22-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
  #25
Juzmo
late april
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: here
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,192
vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
Isometsän jäähalli (Ässät) - Best atmostphere in Finland, the best seats in the place are standing room. And a lot of it. However, Saturday games are the ones to look out for.
Isomäen jäähalli*

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.