HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jackets waive Commodore (Update: Clears Re-Entry)

Old
01-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I don't know why everybody is acting like it's a big "in your face" move for the Jackets to put him on waivers. This is part of the process of shedding his contract. It seems the organization and player have mutually decided to part ways and this is putting the for sale sign around his neck in earnest. Columbus is trying to see if they can get rid of his contract without:

1. Taking salary back.
2. Having to give up an asset.
3. Pay him another check.

This is a paper shuffling move and I highly doubt they assign him to the AHL. He'll probably clear waivers and then the Jackets will wait for offers, if any are to come, and then it's re-entry waivers. Standard procedure for huge contracts that seem to be immovable objects.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Can they send him to the ECHL just to be dicks and hope he retires so they are off the hook with his money?
Nope. Only players on ELS deals can be loaned to the ECHL without their consent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 9.7
9.7 Loans to East Coast Hockey League. Players who are party to an Entry Level
SPC may be Loaned to the East Coast Hockey League ("ECHL") without the requirement
of Player consent, provided the Player will continue to be paid the stated amount of the
AHL portion of his two-way SPC in the Native Currency of the NHL Club.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Did his game really deteriorate that much? His numbers don't seem all that bad to me, but of course I haven't really seen him play this season. You would think they would just hang onto him.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
A team that trades for him would have to put him through Re-Entry Waivers (before July 1).

In '08, Schneider was waived by the Ducks, but was never assigned to the AHL before being traded to Atlanta in the pre-season - so Re-Entry Waivers never came into play.

However in March 2010, after Schneider was traded from Vancouver to Phoenix (while playing for the AHL Moose), he did have to clear Re-Entry Waivers before playing for Phoenix.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/9982099409
That clears some things up, thank you! I did know that a waived player doesn't have to be assigned to the minors (like Rolston this season). But I was mistaken in thinking that a trade was a loophole around re-entry.

Waivers are more like a waiting room between the NHL and AHL, not a doorway.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Also, much to Commie's credit, he's taking this whole thing very much in stride.

According to coach Arniel he's still a good presence in the lockerroom, is still hustling during practice, and is being very professional. The problem isn't with Commodore's skills. Those have deteriorated a bit, but the problem is that Arniel is trying to change us to a mobile defensive unit. Commodore tried to acclimate himself to this gameplan, but was unable to do so. Hence he's been scratched in lieu of Stralman despite the fact that Stralman also has been having problems this year.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:17 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Did his game really deteriorate that much? His numbers don't seem all that bad to me, but of course I haven't really seen him play this season. You would think they would just hang onto him.
He wanted out, and they probably don't want a player on their team who so obviously does not want to be there.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:22 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I don't know why everybody is acting like it's a big "in your face" move for the Jackets to put him on waivers. This is part of the process of shedding his contract. It seems the organization and player have mutually decided to part ways and this is putting the for sale sign around his neck in earnest. Columbus is trying to see if they can get rid of his contract without:

1. Taking salary back.
2. Having to give up an asset.
3. Pay him another check.

This is a paper shuffling move and I highly doubt they assign him to the AHL. He'll probably clear waivers and then the Jackets will wait for offers, if any are to come, and then it's re-entry waivers. Standard procedure for huge contracts that seem to be immovable objects.
Come on, Vagrant. You should know by now that the Trades forum relies on drama, be it real or imagined, to keep itself going. Don't you remember when the Canes waived Brett Sutter so he could be sent down to Charlotte? I seem to recall quite a few around here who took that as some slight or insult to Sutter. At any rate, should the Blue Jackets bring him back up I wouldn't mind the 'Canes picking him up. Commie played well for Tom Rowe, he's a fan favorite (read: more butts in seats), but more importantly he'd add some nice depth to our defensive corps.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Also, much to Commie's credit, he's taking this whole thing very much in stride.

According to coach Arniel he's still a good presence in the lockerroom, is still hustling during practice, and is being very professional. The problem isn't with Commodore's skills. Those have deteriorated a bit, but the problem is that Arniel is trying to change us to a mobile defensive unit. Commodore tried to acclimate himself to this gameplan, but was unable to do so. Hence he's been scratched in lieu of Stralman despite the fact that Stralman also has been having problems this year.
Actually, Arniel was quoted in the Dispatch this morning, saying it's not personal and has everything to do with skill.

"I don't have him in our top six," Arniel said. "He feels he should be, which is why he asked for the trade. I understand that. This isn't personal. This has to do with hockey skills. How you play the game, how you are with your teammates, how you work off the ice. It's not personal. He's just not in our top six."

Commodore may be a good guy in the room and people like him, but face he's pretty dreadful on a dreadful defensive team. I'd like to see if anyone would take Anton Stralman. His play has been cringe worthy.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
7th Player

Can't see anyone biting on him at this price tag. CLB would need to receive at least some salary in return. Commie is still a good player, the situation he's in is just a normal consequence for when he decided to cash in July 1st a couple of seasons ago.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Yup, I swapped him and a 2nd for Markov. Oh those were the days...

Back OT, I'm kinda surprised they would attempt to bury him in the minors. Being a budget team, the CBJ can't afford to spend 3.75 million on a guy who's not even on their main roster.

Also, I'll be the first to speculate that he wont report to Springfield and be released from his contract. I could be way wrong (because good things don't happen to the CBJ) but what the hell.

I guarantee you that there is ZERO chance that Commodore leave $9.4M on the table - NONE.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
He'll clear.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Man, do a lot of NHL teams make pricey mistakes or what?

If they go the re-entry route they'll have nearly 2M in dead cap space and salary commitments in each of the next 2 seasons. Yuck.
This is honestly why most peoople should be excited when their team does nothing on 7/1. The majority of the UFA signings end poorly, but GM's are like crack ****** jonesying for their next fix.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Gulvorn

Quote:
His lack of mobility really hurts in Arniel's system and his defensive play isn't quite good enough to get him off of a bottom pairing defender. And then the problem becomes that you can't really pay a guy 3.75M a year to be your #5-#7 defender. If he misses a hip check or lets someone walk free from the boards it's almost always a scoring chance because he's the slowest defender on the team.

I think he's really a good bottom pairing guy for a team that needs a bigger type physical defender in a #4-#6 role, and realistically he probably should be playing ahead of a couple of people on the Jackets, but his conditioning issues last year I don't think are completely behind him.

And from a GM's perspective you have to look ahead a season or two and you don't want to be paying a bottom pairing defender 3.75M, the most of your defenders, when you could use that money for someone more useful and who plays a more important role. For that same price you could get another R.J. Umberger.

Gulvorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxBruin View Post

Someone had to.
I think for how funny this picture is in the context of the thread, it deserved a bump!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Selke

Commodore should and will clear. I'd be shocked if he cleared re-entry.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
Wow. That was quick.
I guess his trade value wasn't really there at all.

What a shock!
this is a great message for clb to send. I love this move.

dredeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
this is a great message for clb to send. I love this move.
What message?

He isn't in their top 6 and they are paying him a lot of money. This isn't about sending a message. They are trying to rid themselves of his contract

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Skraut

He cleared per Bob McKenzie

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
airlouche

Maybe someone will grab him on re-entry...not sure tough.

airlouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Vitto79

Of course he cleared. Don't think he will get picked up on re-entry either. Maybe the Debbies would take 2 yrs 3.5 for one year 5 of Rolson but I even dought that

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
There have been games where Commodore has been one of the better defensemen for the Jackets (that may not be saying much) but he hasn't been absolutely terrible. All of the Jackets' defensemen have rotated at having atrocious games.

Columbus Dispatch reporter Mike Arace summed it up in a commentary today that, "The whole class is crayoning the walls, but Commie winds up in detention?"

Commodore has played better against more physical, slower teams.

But teams have learned that the way to beat the Jackets is with speed, out competing them for pucks and especially taking advantage of Jackets' dmen that are slower and less mobile. So, that may have made Commodore more of a liability.

Arniel also wants the Jackets' dmen more involved offensively. While Commie has been scoring more this year (especially earlier in the season), but he's also made some boneheaded plays pinching in at the wrong time and turning the puck over. That's not like all offensive defensemen don't do that some times, but he doesn't have the speed to recover nor the offensive instinct to be be effective with the puck. He does have a great shot.

There's also been a lot of talk that the Jackets' problems are "in the locker room" and Commodore was signed for to provide veteran leadership. It says something that Arniel is sending him to the pressbox rather than wanting him in the locker room.

So, I'm not sure why another team really would want to trade for or claim Commodore, since he's not getting any younger nor improving his skills and he could be easily replaced with a younger, cheaper player with more upside.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:46 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
I hate commodore, I am so happy he is not in the NHL now, I really hate the guy and everything he is for.

He's not a team player
He is not worth the cap hit
He is not worth the re-entry cap hit
he doesnt do enough things effectively to belong in a lot of teams top 4, and yet he's paid as a top 2.

If Toronto touched him, I'd be pissed

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Aportzline

#CBJ have assigned D Mike Commodore to AHL Springfield, recalled D Grant Clitsome

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Another example of the players/agent doing a poor job of diminishing the value of money to riding buses. I'm sure Commodore would give some of that money back in exchange for someone else taking a chance on him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

is he that bad?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote