HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Why isn't Brule given more chances at centre

Old
01-04-2011, 01:06 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
Why isn't Brule given more chances at centre

Listening to 1260 and they stated that he is 53%, Cogs is like 42%, why has Cogs been given all of the breaks playing on the top 2 lines when they need someone?

Maybe if they gave him more time at centre he would be playing better.
Give this guy 5 games or so to play on the top 2 lines.

Thoughts

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:12 PM
surshot*

Because he is not good defensively. On the back check he is a wreck. He is the one that has to figure it out because faceoffs alone don't get you a C job. Hopefully he can figure it out but I doubt very much he does.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I always here Cogs>Brule after the puck is dropped. Faceoff is really just a small part of the job. Although having Brule take the draw and switching to wing couldn't hurt.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I always here Cogs>Brule after the puck is dropped. Faceoff is really just a small part of the job. Although having Brule take the draw and switching to wing couldn't hurt.
Yep and the Oilers already do it with him and Penner. I have also heard he is only good on his backhand move but not very good with other face off moves.

Old
01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

As one of the biggest Brule supporters here--he has not done enough with the his chances this season--he has been that bad

he maybe 53% on the dot--but he has sucked everywhere else bigtime

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Eytinge

Cuz he's dumb as a rock defensively.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Joe Hallenback

Cogs over Brule really?

The same Cogs who is a team worst -11 and has more chances then anyone on this team to prove he is a top 6 guy? How many wide open nets do you think hes missed this year like 20?

The same Cogs who can't defend to save his life? Who makes the wrong decisions over and over again. The Cogs who skates "hard" going no where fast?

The guy should be in the press box but Renney loves him like a son.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think we gotta leave them both with Penner, hide their flaws and move them both asap. Realistically neither of them are gonna crack the top six here. We have a new batch of prospects who are gonna need to take a step forward next year and at some point some decent veterans will need to be plugged in as transition guys. I wonder if one of Cogliano or Brule could be a piece in a Beauchemin trade.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:07 PM
monster_bertuzzi

For the life of me I dont know why Brule wasnt given a shot with Gagner and Penner again. Tom Renney was a bone-head when he coached here looks like nothing has changed.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
For the life of me I dont know why Brule wasnt given a shot with Gagner and Penner again. Tom Renney was a bone-head when he coached here looks like nothing has changed.
He has had a few head scratchers so far this season but I don't know if that is one of them. Brule's immune system is so bad that he has caught what ever Cogliano has.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Brule > Cogs any day boys.

Brule is the better center and he does play good defensively. We also need a guy that can win faceoffs. Brule is so underated who cares if he is struggling at the moment, Brule will pick it up.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:41 PM
surshot*

Cogs is better defensively. Not by much but enough to take a C spot from him. In reality they should be both on the wing.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:42 PM
HemskyToHall*

Brule is in Renney's dog house, he is clearly playing injured and is the scrapegoat of 2011.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:45 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky line is going to be sick buddy, don't worry and if it catches fire we let them stay and then watch some magic between Eberle and Penner on the 2nd line when Ebs returns, when Horcoff is back, he can center that line.

Old
01-05-2011, 10:46 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
I'm confused about that too... he scored 17 goals in 65 games last year playing in the top 6 then doesn't get a sniff of the top 6 this year and gets stuck with "No Hands" Cogliano and "Not Ready for the NHL" Paajarvi on the 3rd line for a good chunk of the year.

He played well with Penner again this year then Renney ended that experiment and he played well last game with players who can actually display some skill so he can succeed if surrounded by halfway decent players. If Renney puts Brule in a position to succeed then maybe he can succeed, just a crazy thought.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 10:58 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm confused about that too... he scored 17 goals in 65 games last year playing in the top 6 then doesn't get a sniff of the top 6 this year and gets stuck with "No Hands" Cogliano and "Not Ready for the NHL" Paajarvi on the 3rd line for a good chunk of the year.

He played well with Penner again this year then Renney ended that experiment and he played well last game with players who can actually display some skill so he can succeed if surrounded by halfway decent players. If Renney puts Brule in a position to succeed then maybe he can succeed, just a crazy thought.
I like Brule lots too but he has to show he can play with anyone, not just the high skilled guys on the team, he might not have a good immune system either so that can affect his game. I agree with your comments on Cogs and I think Paajarvi is getting a feel for the north american sized rinks now plus it will be nice to see how Paajarvi plays with Omark, Brule could center that line in the future and excel vastly. This team is looking too damn good for the future.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:05 PM
surshot*

There is a lot of forwards not in a good position to succeed right now. One decent center that could take most of the draws with size would make a huge difference right now for just about everybody. Thats even when Horcoff comes back. Even if we draft one its not likely he would be ready to help for a few years. We need Stoll back or need to trade as soon as possible in order to get one. There is a reason why Horcoff has not been as good on the draws and its because he was never the best Center when Stoll was here and took less faceoffs against worse centers. It would be huge if we could get Horcoff and Gagner some help as it would improve there stats as well. It would be a domino effect everyone would be playing better thru out the lineup.

Cogliano and Brule are just not that guy and never well be. Tambo needs to find a trade now for the purpose of a proper development.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:42 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Hall-Gagner-Hemsky line is going to be sick buddy, don't worry and if it catches fire we let them stay and then watch some magic between Eberle and Penner on the 2nd line when Ebs returns, when Horcoff is back, he can center that line.
As mentioned by someone else the kid had 17 goals in 60 some-odd games with very little powerplay time. Now usually you would think he would take a step forward on the depth chart but he was stuck with Cogliano and a raw rookie in Paajarvi to start the season for whatever reason.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:43 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilpinionated View Post
There is a lot of forwards not in a good position to succeed right now. One decent center that could take most of the draws with size would make a huge difference right now for just about everybody. Thats even when Horcoff comes back. Even if we draft one its not likely he would be ready to help for a few years. We need Stoll back or need to trade as soon as possible in order to get one. There is a reason why Horcoff has not been as good on the draws and its because he was never the best Center when Stoll was here and took less faceoffs against worse centers. It would be huge if we could get Horcoff and Gagner some help as it would improve there stats as well. It would be a domino effect everyone would be playing better thru out the lineup.

Cogliano and Brule are just not that guy and never well be. Tambo needs to find a trade now for the purpose of a proper development.
Too bad Dave Bolland wasn't better at faceoffs, rumour is that he is on the block although I like his defensive game.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:49 PM
lakai17

Quote:
As mentioned by someone else the kid had 17 goals in 60 some-odd games with very little powerplay time. Now usually you would think he would take a step forward on the depth chart but he was stuck with Cogliano and a raw rookie in Paajarvi to start the season for whatever reason.
where else do expect Brule to play when you have two top lines of Penner-Gagner-Hemsky and Hall-Horcoff-Eberle at the begining of the season??

Old
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Reddox is way better than both of these guys

ZenOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Brule hasn't been playing against the greatest competition, he's been stuck in the bottom 6 for a while now. His confidence seems incredibly fragile too. I just don't think he's a go-to guy at all.

That being said I probably have more faith in him than Cogliano.. but both of those players need to be carried by their linemates, they simply don't bring it.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:53 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
where else do expect Brule to play when you have two top lines of Penner-Gagner-Hemsky and Hall-Horcoff-Eberle at the begining of the season??
Penner-Brule-Hemsky
Hall-Gagner-Eberle
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Cogliano

Renney should have at least tried this for about 10 games or so since it's a development year and see if Brule could have built off of last year, can't know until it's tried but unfortunately Brule's confidence is shot. It's gotta be depressing to have a breakout year only to be placed in the bottom 6. Cogliano and Gagner has gotten plenty of top 6 opportunities over the years and Cogliano is still getting them for some reason.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2011, 11:55 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
lol...

Brule was better than Horcoff last season and it wasnt even close.

Old
01-05-2011, 11:56 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Did you happen to watch those 17 goals? I can't remember any of them weren't just clappers from the wing. Brule can't create offense for himself. He was the passenger on that line.

He's not smart enough to play center, and there's not a chance he's better offensively than our current top 6 wingers. He's a bottom 6 energy player with a poor defensive game.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote