HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alexei Emelin finally moving to NA?

Old
01-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Would be nice, especially with Hammer, Gill and maybe Markov gone for good after this year as well as Wiz if we don't keep him around. I still wouldn't hold my breath on this happening

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
SB164

@samos

Wtf...you stole my avatar.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Haha, yeah. I saw it in the thread with all the avatars and liked it, sowwy.

I want one with the carey price pose agaisnt the penguins. Like a Boss.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by samos View Post
Haha, yeah. I saw it in the thread with all the avatars and liked it, sowwy.

I want one with the carey price pose agaisnt the penguins. Like a Boss.
It's cool.

And I like the Carey Price idea.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Forsead

Well konstantinov has been brought over by Detroit around the same age !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:14 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Maybe we could offer him a sweetened 2-way deal ala M-A Bergeron to ensure him that he's not gonna end up making 50 grands in the AHL ? Something like I don't know 900 000 in the NHL and 150 000 if we send him down ; is that allowed for a rookie coming over ?
I don't think he views himself as a rookie, and rightfully so.

You're about to ask a father to take a dramatic pay cut ... fly over here with his family to ''see'' how he enjoys bus rides in hamilton ? get ready to be disapointed. Unless he is given a decent contract ... ~2m per/ one-way ... I'd be willing to call him myself and tell him how its not worth it, at all.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:31 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

I'll clarify something here, Emelin will have to sign a one year EL contract for the maximum allowed, 850 000$, plus bonuses, aroung 2.2M. This EL contract will have to be a two-way.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:02 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I'll clarify something here, Emelin will have to sign a one year EL contract for the maximum allowed, 850 000$, plus bonuses, aroung 2.2M. This EL contract will have to be a two-way.
didn't know...thanks. Not very attractive for a player looking for a permanent move.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 01-08-2011 at 01:09 AM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:40 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
I know I'm nit-picking here, but Emelin was drafted in 2004, which means he can make $984,200 + 30% signing bonus + performance bonuses.

edit: That's if he signs this season. He'll be 25 by the end of this season, and if I'm reading the rules on the CBA properly, 24 is the oldest age where you have to sign a ELC. So no ELC for him this summer, perfect time to come over salary wise.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:20 AM
PATCHESx67

i have a good feeling this summer about Emelin

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:28 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Emelin...I'll believe it when/if it happens.

It seems like it's been 5 or 6 or 7 years we've been talking about, waiting for this Emelin. Do we have any actual real recent quotes from him?!

And, to start I betcha he's gonna want $2,5 - 3 mil/year for 2 years, minimum (with lot$ of bonu$e$, and many clauses like no AHL time, no two-way contract,etc...).

It's all exciting and everything (the thought of a mean dman finally MAYBE, again with the maybe!, joining our Habs, but again...let's see if it happens).

I'm actually fed up of (year after year) waiting and reading about this Emelin/Yemelin! (we Hab fans are just being teased, and Emelin's agent is just using the Habs for more control/power during contract negotiations with his Russian team...meanwhile some of us Hab fans are still salivating at the thought of him in a Hab uniform).

And, still...2-3 years from now (2013-2014): ''Emelin might join the Habs...he just might.''
For all those who whine and complain about Emelin's decision or lack of decision, we have to remember that there have been a lot of other disappointments.

I could begin with Danny Briere and go from there. We have had unrealistic expectations about Lecavalier, Bouwmeester, Iginla and almost every star player you can think of.

Yet Emelin is judged on his decision even though it might have been the best for his personal situation and his development. He may still decide to stay in Russia but dreams of Emelin in the lineup are probably just as realistic as dreaming of anyone else.

I am very cautiously optimistic on this one. Gauthier seems to be doing a better job than Gainey in some of these areas

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazz Wagon View Post
I know I'm nit-picking here, but Emelin was drafted in 2004, which means he can make $984,200 + 30% signing bonus + performance bonuses.

edit: That's if he signs this season. He'll be 25 by the end of this season, and if I'm reading the rules on the CBA properly, 24 is the oldest age where you have to sign a ELC. So no ELC for him this summer, perfect time to come over salary wise.
i would have no problem giving him a 2-3 mil contract, if things don't work out he probably goes to the KHL instead of AHL and we don't have the cap hit...low risk, high return.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:56 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

Ah, thanks, I wasn't aware of that last part. But, isn't the salary based on the draft year max salary?

Old
01-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
For all those who whine and complain about Emelin's decision or lack of decision, we have to remember that there have been a lot of other disappointments.

I could begin with Danny Briere and go from there. We have had unrealistic expectations about Lecavalier, Bouwmeester, Iginla and almost every star player you can think of.

Yet Emelin is judged on his decision even though it might have been the best for his personal situation and his development. He may still decide to stay in Russia but dreams of Emelin in the lineup are probably just as realistic as dreaming of anyone else.

I am very cautiously optimistic on this one. Gauthier seems to be doing a better job than Gainey in some of these areas
Problem is not whether Emelin wants or don't want to come here. It's just that we kinda heard before the "Seriously consider coming over" and stuff like that and then nothing happens. And it's also the frustration behind the Russians we've been drafting and nobody is coming or when they do....it's to go back not long after. Either we pick them and make sure at least some would stick around....at least we don't understand their reality and never pick them and concentrate elsewhere.....I personnaly would pick some of them. Serious talent in the 1st round, or possible steals mid-draft à la Avtsin. But Avtsin is a special case on his own. The guy, without being a top draft pick was at the combine, was at the draft, and was in our 1st development camp. Sorry, but that doesn't happen often and when it does, it means the guy is REALLY interested in coming. Then you did your homework. But for everybody else, they should do a better homework à la New York Rangers who didn't have a problem getting Grachev, Anisimov and Tyutin and I'm sure so would have Cherepanov. And add Valentenko who left us, looked like he'd never come back, gets traded and suddenly comes back in the Rangers organisation.... Yes, there are others who didn't report but we are talking about 7th-9th rounders here....

But lately, we've had our share of bad news with Valentenko, Perezhogin, Emelin, Korneev, and while it's too soon, we don't hear a whole lot of news about Trunev....But like I just mentioned, it's not enough to ignore them thanks to Avtsin, Kostitsyns, Grabovski and a certain guy picked in 98 called Markov....So pick them but do your homework. Just that lately, aside from Avtsin, good news aren't there.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
Ah! I'll believe it when I see him in a Habs jersey at the Bell Centre.

Emelin has been a big tease so far, claiming he wants to seriously go to the NHL while signing contracts behind the Habs' back.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

sign here buddy I will buy your jersey

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
To me Emelin is only second to a healthy Markov...
Would he improve our defensive core... Yes
To me he is ahead of Hammer and PK.
Not sure he will stay ahead of PK but a duo Emelin-Subban would be great.

For now it is only a dream but if this happens Habs defense would be great.
When have you seen him play in the last few years?

People are overrating this guy. He's defending in a league where all forwards go to the outside, then he'd come to a league where even bigger forwards bulldoze through the middle on a smaller rink. It's not going to be as steady a learning process as people think.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

It's not based on your age, it's based on your birthyear. Say Emelin turned 25 in June, but we signed him in May when he was 24. The league would consider him to be 25 when we signed him.

He would have to sign an ELC because he's a Euro draft pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
When have you seen him play in the last few years?

People are overrating this guy. He's defending in a league where all forwards go to the outside, then he'd come to a league where even bigger forwards bulldoze through the middle on a smaller rink. It's not going to be as steady a learning process as people think.
I saw him last year, have you seen him this year, how's he looking? I take it you watch a lot of KHL games? Is that how you know he's being overated and that the KHL is a league were ALL forwards go to the outside?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
I don't think he views himself as a rookie, and rightfully so.

You're about to ask a father to take a dramatic pay cut ... fly over here with his family to ''see'' how he enjoys bus rides in hamilton ? get ready to be disapointed. Unless he is given a decent contract ... ~2m per/ one-way ... I'd be willing to call him myself and tell him how its not worth it, at all.
As somebody else pointed out, the way he views himself is irrelevant ; under CBA rules there are guidelines for euro draft pick rookie contracts which is what he would be.

But the rest of your post is valid : We'd probably have to give him some verbal garantee of a minimum time in NHL to ensure him his oversees trip would be worthwhile.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I admit I haven't seen him play in years. Have you? If so, did he really look that weak to you? Every other recent report I've seen has been more positive.

If you're basing your opinion only on your perception of the KHL, I think you're way off. Desjardins has the goal scoring equivalency for players moving between the KHL and NHL at .54, compared to .44 between the AHL and NHL. This makes sense intuitively, as you can imagine players like Jagr and Radulov would dominate more in the AHL than they are in the KHL. And those guys were pretty good at "bulldozing through the middle" in the NHL. I think it's reasonable to assume a top KHL defenceman will be pretty prepared for 3rd pairing duties in the NHL.

Also, Emelin was given decent minutes on Russia's WC team. The team included NHL'ers Gonchar, Grebeshkov and Kulikov on it's D corps - only Gonchar had more ice time. They limited Canada (full of NHL'ers, including Stamkos) to 2 goals in a Russian victory, Emelin was +1 in the game.

Roulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:43 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But lately, we've had our share of bad news with Valentenko...
Hey, Valentenko helped get us Gomez and he could still become a reasonable NHLer with a little experience.

Actually I wonder if our failure with Russians has more to do with our attitude than theirs. Perhaps things will be different under Gauthier. We can only hope.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:14 PM
danyhabsfan

Emelin
Spacek
Weber
Gorges
Subban

Now if we could add a Top UFA defenseman. Our top 6 would be all right if Emelin is good like we heard.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Basszor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Emelin
Spacek
Weber
Gorges
Subban

Now if we could add a Top UFA defenseman. Our top 6 would be all right if Emelin is good like we heard.
It's risky with his recent injuries, but a HEALTHY Markov added to that line up...oh boy.

Basszor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:24 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I saw him last year, have you seen him this year, how's he looking? I take it you watch a lot of KHL games? Is that how you know he's being overated and that the KHL is a league were ALL forwards go to the outside?
I'm just saying that people are expecting this player to make the jump and make our defence one of the best in the league. It reeks of the same sentiment people had when they predicted Subban to come in and get 40-50 points this year as a rookie.

And the rink is wider and the game is known as East/West. It's not the same style as the NHL, we've seen it time and time again where players that are successful in that league become perimeter players in the NHL, thus becoming more ineffective.

Look at the expectations people had for Valentenko and even Avtsin for that matter, and they are not doing much of anything in the AHL. But whatever, people can keep thinking he'll be the saviour, if he even comes over. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm a realist.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I'm just saying that people are expecting this player to make the jump and make our defence one of the best in the league. It reeks of the same sentiment people had when they predicted Subban to come in and get 40-50 points this year as a rookie.

And the rink is wider and the game is known as East/West. It's not the same style as the NHL, we've seen it time and time again where players that are successful in that league become perimeter players in the NHL, thus becoming more ineffective.

Look at the expectations people had for Valentenko and even Avtsin for that matter, and they are not doing much of anything in the AHL. But whatever, people can keep thinking he'll be the saviour, if he even comes over. I'd love for it to happen, but I'm a realist.
Most seem to be saying they doubt he'll even come over. But if anyone is expecting him to jump in and be a top notch player, well that's silly since there's really no way to know how a player will adjust to the smaller ice. Emelin though seems to really enjoy the physical aspects of the game so the smaller ice might be good for him if he can read the play quickly.

I don't have any expectations of him, I think it makes a lot of sense to bring him over in the summer as we just don't have much on the farm. If they bring him over it will be interesting to see what he can do at camp/preseason.

As for Valentenko and Avtsin, I've heard Valentenko is playing well and Avtsin looks like what you'd expect, a raw 19 year old that shows flashes of skill but needs seasoning. I think he's played well enough, although I hope wrist is ok as he was already out once and they weren't saying what his injury is this time around (has missed 7 games but the last game they said he should be back this week)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote