HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Grabovski be the only Belorussian in the NHL come 2012 ?

Old
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

vCash: 500
Will Grabovski be the only Belorussian in the NHL come 2012 ?

http://habsblogger.blogspot.com/

Is Belarus the new Sweden ?

Asked your's truly to then Belarus National team coach Glen Hanlon in 2008.

Hanlon smiled and diplomatically answered '' We're not there yet ''

I sometimes wonder though , if, looking back on it now, Glen's perspective has shifted on the program he left in 2009 to now head the Slovakia National team.

Especially considering the way he left.

In 2009 the BHF ( Belarus Hockey Federation ) decided to part ways with Hanlon in what was considered '' internal matters '', Hanlon simply announced to the press he had resigned .
Hanlon had raised a team from the obscurity of bottom divisional rankings to 8th worlwide. A rise that fans, players and media largely attributed to Hanlon's chemistry with the National Team's veteran core.

A resignation they all took as a sign that Hanlon had had enough of the internal politics within the federation.

Hanlon was replaced by Mikhail Zakharov who also left the program after an injury riddled team underperformed in Vancouver.

Zakharov said to the press at the time.

'' Despite the fact we had allot of injuries, our defence didn't play up to par and we looked lost out there ''

One thing is for sure, it hasn't been an easy road to the NHL for the Belorussian exports.

Following the public spat that trailed the relationship the Kostitsyn's had with Mikhail Grabovski, the headlines inevitably followed prospect Mikhail Stefanovich, highly touted with the Maple Leafs who eventually left North America to a lucrative contract in the KHL after ending up in the ECHL despite a prolific junior career in the Q.

The stories look the same for Sergei Kukushin, Konstantin Zakharov and players like Konstantin Koltsov and Vladimir Denisov, all picks who saw mild interest from their draft teams before falling through to the KHL.

An ex Montreal scout.

'' People often don't understand the mentality of players from poor Russian sphere countries like Belarus.
These guys know that they'll make money from about 21 to 35 years old if they are lucky, and spending 3 years in the AHL is almost like throwing a million or 2 out the window for them they estimate they can make in the KHL. In a country where a doctors monthly salary is 400 to 1000$ A mill is allot of money. ''

'' Take the example of Konstantin Koltsov, even Andrei Kostitsyn threatened to leave Montreal if they decided to send him to the minors in 2007 ''

'' When you evaluate the contract situation of Andrei Kostitsyn, Sergei Kostitsyn and players like Ruslan Salei who will be 39 come 2012. Maybe the Belarus thing was more of a temporary swell, the way Latvia was with Irbe and Ozolinsh. ''

Definitly not Sweden.

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Both Kostitsyn will still be here in 2012

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:05 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

It's rumoured Minsk is willing to offer 5 million combined to both if they make the switch to the KHL,

Andrei won't get a raise next year, can you confidently say that with a season that puts him on par for 35 points, Sergei will make more than 1.5 next year ?

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I think it's possible that they leave.

I think they like playing here (both Kostitsyns) but if they can make more money and live in a place more familiar to them, it's possible that they leave the NHL.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:23 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I thought the kostitsyns already came from a very rich family.

I can see andrei wanting to be closer to home, though, as I've heard he's always had trouble making friends or fitting in.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

People look at KHL money and talk like it's easy for players to jump on that...if you look at the Nabokov example, they signed him to a huge contract then tore it up after he struggled for a bit so he was left holding the back...heading back to NA and trying to get good money at a point where most clubs are either at their spending limit or against the cap.

Except for Radulov and a few others, there are not a ton of players that could be NHL regulars(not talking bottom 6 guys or #5-6 d-men) currently in the KHL. Russia is also filled with mafia and not the safest place to be, I'm sure the guys playing over there making big bucks have to pay protection money to the mafia.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Sorry I don't believe it, Sergei could had better money this year in the Khl but he signed with Nashville for half a million. That's what player do when they want a good nhl contracts.

Andrei will make at least 3,5 next year so I doubt he sign for 2,5 in the Khl.

Both live in N.America since they are young , they state alot of time that they want to play in the Nhl.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:29 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Dont worry guys AK is gonna resign and I'm bringing sergei baaaack

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Sorry I don't believe it, Sergei could had better money this year in the Khl but he signed with Nashville for half a million. That's what player do when they want a good nhl contracts.

Andrei will make at least 3,5 next year so I doubt he sign for 2,5 in the Khl.

Both live in N.America since they are young , they state alot of time that they want to play in the Nhl.
Perfect example with Sergei.

Andrei apparently had more offers when he was an RFA, but choose to stay here.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
Dont worry guys AK is gonna resign and I'm bringing sergei baaaack
If AK resigns, is he going to play in the KHL?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 02:00 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

you-know-what-he-meant

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:02 AM
Dima_BLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Russia is also filled with mafia and not the safest place to be, I'm sure the guys playing over there making big bucks have to pay protection money to the mafia.
mafia? protection money? looooool
btw, if my memory serves me right, the kost bros & grabovski have started hobnobing with mafia in NA.

Dima_BLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:13 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I think they like playing here (both Kostitsyns) but if they can make more money and live in a place more familiar to them, it's possible that they leave the NHL.
When Sergei had the chance to leave and chose to sign in Nashville, what makes you think he'd chose more money in the KHL after he's having a career year and its a contract year for him as well.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote