HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

There has been no Islander with LESS HEART than Blake Comeau

Old
01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post

i've seen both **** and shinola from Comeau. If left up to me, if I couldn't handcuff him to the right center vet to counter/disuade his brainfarts, I'd consider the advantages in giving him a change of scenery.
Well, the best center I have seen him with was Tavares for the last 20 games last season. Worked pretty well. Would love to see Comeau on that line instead of PAP, but we know that won't happen.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He's far from any kind of player IMO. He's one of those "I don't know what kind of player I am" guys that may end up being nothing. Manny Malhotra seemed to find that niche in his play and become so effective in his NEW role (compared to when he was drafted). Dan Cleary comes to mind.

Comeau's horribly inconsistent and seems lost out there at times....yet, at other times he looks like a top six forward, a great support player on a top line, in the mold of a Kunitz.

Maybe he'll never get it. Maybe he needs more coaching to hone his game. I just think there's too many tools to give up on him, especially when we invest so much in other limited players.

You can't teach hockey sense or talent. He has size, speed, he can be physical, he can probably LEARN to be a great bottom six player in a shutdown role.
Comeau has never been a scorer, despite the fact that he has a very good shot, is a strong skater, and is not a waif. Go back to his junior career and his numbers do not awe you, so he was drafted #41 for other reasons. The fact that he lead the gold medal winning Canadian WJC team in scoring just further confuses about what kind of player he is, or could be.
One thing that I have always noticed about his game is that when he plays the left side, his off wing side, frequently skates up and down the wall with his forhand facing the wall, then either puches the puck forwards, backwards, or takes it around the back of the net. Occassionally, he turns a D man and drives the net, but not often enough.
However, notice where he scores all his goals from. The right side like last night. Think back and almost all of Comeau's goals are scored from the right circle/dot, or right center slot, hardley ever from the left side. And he is a natural LW!
I am always left wondering how much more dangerous he would be in the offensive zone if he played on teh right side only. None of that skating up and down teh wall, and being able to drift from the dot to the center right with a very good shot.
I dont think he knows how good he can be. Even if he loses focus, playing on the right would really be good for him IMO.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:20 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
One thing that I have always noticed about his game is that when he plays the left side, his off wing side, frequently skates up and down the wall with his forhand facing the wall, then either puches the puck forwards, backwards, or takes it around the back of the net. Occassionally, he turns a D man and drives the net, but not often enough.
However, notice where he scores all his goals from. The right side like last night. Think back and almost all of Comeau's goals are scored from the right circle/dot, or right center slot, hardley ever from the left side. And he is a natural LW!
I am always left wondering how much more dangerous he would be in the offensive zone if he played on teh right side only. None of that skating up and down teh wall, and being able to drift from the dot to the center right with a very good shot.
I dont think he knows how good he can be. Even if he loses focus, playing on the right would really be good for him IMO.
I noticed the same thing and I agree with you. Playing the left side is not ideal for most right hand shot players. There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part, a player is better suited to playing the proper wing. Playing the left side kind of forces/encourages Comeau to be too fancy, to try to go wide and behind the net, stop and try a bad pass, try to cut to the middle but he's not good enough to make a play, etc.

Learning to make the simple play, put it on net, drive to the net, etc - that can be taught/learned and I think it's more natural for a right-shot to do so on the right-wing.

I read how Martin St. Louis was "converted" to play left wing with Stamkos as opposed to right wing. The feeling is that he would have more options with passing and better suited to work with a right handed centre-sniper like Stammer. Makes sense and they've worked well together. Surely it's 90% talent and maybe 10% position in his case but I completely understand the point.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Bones45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The problem with Comeau is the same as it is with half this team...he would be a good complimentary player with better linemates. So would Bailey. And Nielsen. And Moulson. And Grabner. And Schremp.

We don't have anyone that can carry a line and make the other players better. Everyone is constantly trying to fit into a role that they are not capable of playing for a long period of time.
Ya hit the nail right on the head.

As far as the original post, and as others mentioned. Kvasha.

Definition of a Kvasha - "have zero skating skills, be bad in your own end, skate with the team through the neutral zone, and then coast to the net wait for someone to dish you the puck"

Horrific

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post

Definition of a Kvasha - "have zero skating skills, be bad in your own end, skate with the team through the neutral zone, and then coast to the net wait for someone to dish you the puck"

Horrific

To give you an idea how apathetic Kvasha was about playing hockey, he never celebrated the few times he scored. It looked like he was in pain.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
hgo

Quote:

Horrific
I agree except for the part about having "zero skating skills". Kvasha was one of the faster skaters I've seen with the NYI when he went balls to the wall. However, that was maybe once or twice in his tenure here.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Augscura

Quote:
He's far from any kind of player IMO. He's one of those "I don't know what kind of player I am" guys that may end up being nothing. Manny Malhotra seemed to find that niche in his play and become so effective in his NEW role (compared to when he was drafted). Dan Cleary comes to mind.
I love how you mentioned Dan Cleary. That's exactly what Comeau has reminded me of in his tenor here. He'll eventually get there but it is going to take a while.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Stumpy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
The problem with Comeau is the same as it is with half this team...he would be a good complimentary player with better linemates. So would Bailey. And Nielsen. And Moulson. And Grabner. And Schremp.

We don't have anyone that can carry a line and make the other players better. Everyone is constantly trying to fit into a role that they are not capable of playing for a long period of time.
Exactly, same story season to season. Lack of depth forces players to play roles they were not intended to. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Stumpy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
I love how you mentioned Dan Cleary. That's exactly what Comeau has reminded me of in his tenor here. He'll eventually get there but it is going to take a while.
and when he puts it together, he's gonna be valuable, then we get used to him, then he's the next Trent Hunter we have to replace with a kid.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Comeau has never been a scorer, despite the fact that he has a very good shot, is a strong skater, and is not a waif. Go back to his junior career and his numbers do not awe you, so he was drafted #41 for other reasons. The fact that he lead the gold medal winning Canadian WJC team in scoring just further confuses about what kind of player he is, or could be.
If the RW on that line can shot right from the left slot, LW can work. If his defense is best on LW, just keep him there and get a coach in here who knows the game better and can employ it. It's a basic drill, skating and swizzling back and forth on a rush.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Let me make a comparison here, as I am 48 years old which is old enough to have watched many different stages of the Islanders.
Player 1- 6'3" 220 lbs skating around in cirlcle and not hitting much many fans at the time saying he plays with no heart(I know because I had season tickets and watch almost all his Isles games in person). Would show you some scoring touch but not much emotion. Plays about 3 seasons with the Islanders before he gets traded at 23 years of age. Spend two mostly non-descript seasons with the 'new' team and in season three finally puts it together at age 26. Puts up 6 really goood season with new team(174 goals and 423 points) before moving on(still playing in NHL today).
Player 2- 6'1" 210 lbs has put together 3 so / so seasons and fans are calling out his play as being heartless. Shows potential and definetly has some skills, currently 24 years old. Now I hope I have learned from my past that if you are going to re-build with young players you have to give it as much time as it takes. If you do not learn from you mistakes you are doomed to repeat them. If re-builds were easy and painless all teams would do them and all fans would love them. Oh yeah, player number one is Todd Bertuzzi and player number two is the 'heartless' Blake Comeau.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
If the RW on that line can shot right from the left slot, LW can work. If his defense is best on LW, just keep him there and get a coach in here who knows the game better and can employ it. It's a basic drill, skating and swizzling back and forth on a rush.
Agre with you OTH, but what happens is that Comeau is usually the best skater on his line, and he is the one who carries the puck across the blue line. When he enters on the LW, he almost never opens up and shoots, he usually stays along the wall, not challenging the defender who should be positioned on the dot. Now when he enters on the right side, with the forehand blade towards the wall, he shoots from their or pushes toward the inside of the dot more forcefully, and shoots from there.
On the left side when some other Islander has the puck, Comeau does not get into a position to accept a pass for shooting. He does not open up. On the right, where most of his goals come from, he does not need to open his body, a difficult move. He just receives and strides/shoots, or is in position to shoot when he gets the pass.
My whole point is he manages one side of the ice much better than the other. He has 9 goals and he can clearly shoot the puck with accuracy and power. That is a good NHL shot. When he spends a lot of time on the left he doesnt score much, so I submit that he should be used as a RW on most occasions to maximize his scoring potential.
When scouting for offensive forwards, they look for the abilities that Comeau has: Speed, strong and agile on his skates, size, and shot.
He needs to play on the right. JMO.
Oh, and the title of this thread is completely inaccurate. I think he can get lazy or lose focus on his next move or objective (especially when he is on the left side) but he does not lack heart.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

And if he crosses the blueline darting to the right slot, his linemates can adjust. One guy going right to the net, one playing up high or going behind the net.....it's workable. The coach (or interim) has to see this.

I notice Moulson always at the left side next to the goalie. How good a place when the right wing has a shooter ready to shoot on net or into the slot?

Old
01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
4Isles4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
Quite true on both points. Bailey had a great start to the season at center but hasn't come back to near that level since. If he is going to play center, though, Tavares should be on his wing. My number one add to the team - if it was as easy as buying a bag of Cheetos - would be a first line center.
you see thats what i thought...if you were to have him at center why not let him center Tavares and Moulson or Tavares and okposo....Okie is RW and Moulson is LW im not sure wich side Tavares feels better playing...he plays the right side on the power play.....Its hard to breakup MM and JT because you cant argue thier chemistry but i would love to see

Tavares-Bailey-Okposo or since Bailey plays better on the Wing Bailey-Tavares-Okposo...but I think you go with what ever works for JT for obvious reasons.....

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
No heart wearing an Isles sweater?

Try this guy

Insane how he was given a "C"

Notice i say "given"

01-08-2011, 01:57 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:

Comeau's horribly inconsistent and seems lost out there at times....yet, at other times he looks like a top six forward, a great support player on a top line, in the mold of a Kunitz.

Maybe he'll never get it. Maybe he needs more coaching to hone his game. I just think there's too many tools to give up on him, especially when we invest so much in other limited players.

You can't teach hockey sense or talent. He has size, speed, he can be physical, he can probably LEARN to be a great bottom six player in a shutdown role.

I don't really get some of the hate that he receives on this board. He is actually putting up points, but as bad as this team is he is forced to play a more prominent role than what is natural to him.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
but as bad as this team is he is forced to play a more prominent role than what is natural to him.
And what prominent role does he play that is meant to be so unnatural? To be relied on as a scorer? To be a top-6 player? Do we just throw him on the 3rd line then, since it is less-prominent for him?

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:11 AM
mitchy22

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questions him being on the left side. Everyone points to his production there, or his periods of success, but he's forced to play a different game on the right side.

This is a player that needs to be forced to play a certain kind of game.

It's been long enough now, that I just don't see that ever changing.

He could flourish on a line with two guys who are better and more experienced. Otherwise, he's best kept on a grinding line where the other players are always doing the same thing, and there's no illusion as to what your job is.

Comeau is just one of our players that has to be surrounded with other players that make him better. I might **** on him a lot, and I do it because of the natural abilities that he has, but it's only because I see a player that could be very effective if they played a consistent kind of game.

I might **** on guys with no talent, but I don't harp on it unless we're giving them big minutes. I always **** on players with talent that don't refine their game so that they can use it to its fullest. It tends to come down to just not wanting to do what is required to be your best (which often means changing what you're used to. People ****ing hate that, and players are no different.)

It's partially our fault. Where are the talented players that are leading by example here? We have young players trying to make their own examples. Like this specific player, this organization isn't doing its best with what it has.

Edit - I think I've preached enough on what he has to do already; I didn't feel the need to repeat myself here.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 01-08-2011 at 05:18 AM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:

Horrific
Uncle Oleg was a special player, no questioning that, but I think one of the more painful "no effort" isles to watch in his "effortless prime" was Mike Comrie. Towards the end of his tenure here he was absolutely awful to watch. Soft cross ice passes through the neutral zone, skating like he was out for a public session somewhere. Just awful.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Stumpy32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
Uncle Oleg was a special player, no questioning that, but I think one of the more painful "no effort" isles to watch in his "effortless prime" was Mike Comrie. Towards the end of his tenure here he was absolutely awful to watch. Soft cross ice passes through the neutral zone, skating like he was out for a public session somewhere. Just awful.
And let's not forget 'The Move' he would do over and over and over.......

Stumpy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Blake Comeau is not amused.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:55 PM
periferal

Watching Colorado game...

Boy I sure wish guys like Sim, Konopka, Gillies, & Martin had as little *heart* as Comeau...

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

Two things here. First, is that Comeau is not a natural LW. He's been playing at LW most of his Islanders career, but he originally was a center and then converted to RW in the WHL. Islanders converted him to LW because in his first couple seasons here it was really the only open forward position.

Second, in 05-06 he finished top 5 in points in the WHL. So that maybe doesn't awe you, but the notion he has never been a scorer is not really true.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:07 PM
malPHONEY

Inconsistent is not the same thing as heartless. People just expect him to be some core player because he plays great for stretches. Just lower your expectations.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:56 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Two things here. First, is that Comeau is not a natural LW. He's been playing at LW most of his Islanders career, but he originally was a center and then converted to RW in the WHL. Islanders converted him to LW because in his first couple seasons here it was really the only open forward position.

Second, in 05-06 he finished top 5 in points in the WHL. So that maybe doesn't awe you, but the notion he has never been a scorer is not really true.
Seph, I'm not doubting you on where he played. I always was under the impression that he was drafted as a LW, but young forwards often are moved around.
As for being top 5 scorer in the WHL in 2005-06, I have to take your word for that, but he had a total of 21 goals,53 assists in 60 games. That does not sound like top 5 even in a defensive oriented league. The assist number is pretty good, the goals very pedestrian.