Notices

NJ trades Langenbrunner to DAL

Old
01-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9

You guys better get out of the 1st round.

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:09 AM
chrissmith

Very happy with this.

It's Langenbrunner, it improves our top 9, we haven't gave up a really valuable asset and it means Barch is more likely to be scratched

chrissmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Devils fans have now all become Dallas Stars fans (at least until about April 20th anyway).

Hope Jamie fits in. IMO, he'll be a decent fit for the 3rd line and some PK work.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissmith View Post
it means Barch is more likely to be scratched

I fully expect them to find a way to sit Wandell now every game.

Seriously though, if this means Barch is on the bench 3/4ths of the rest of the season I'll be unbelievably ecstatic.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Devils fans have now all become Dallas Stars fans (at least until about April 20th anyway).
Yeah, this is fun. We have a whole other fanbase behind us now, and Devils fans are probably one of the coolest on HF. Can you guys do something about the Richards-for-Rozsival proposals? Please??

Anyway, I refrained from commenting on this last night because the early reports of a 1st rounder seemed wildly extravagent to me and contradicted Nieuwendyk's stated GMing philosophy of tightly holding on to your high picks. Glad to see that it's for a more reasonable conditional 2nd/3rd.

I can't say that I'm necessarily thrilled though. For one, I have to give up my dream of a Miettinen reunion () , but there's also the uncomfortable fact that Langenbrunner has simply been bad this year. We're banking on him flipping a switch and being rejuvenated by coming back to Dallas. It could happen, I suppose... really just as much as a player who's playing well elsewhere disappointing with his new team.

What's Joe going to do though when all of the players he played with have retired from the league?

Anyway, lines: (you know what's coming)

Neal-Richards-Eriksson (stop the whining about Neal you ungrateful sods)
Morrow-Ribeiro-Langenbrunner (they all play at the same pace, gives Ribs that right shot who isn't Segal)
Benn-Wandell-Ott (just stand back and watch the magic happen, I'm telling you)
Segal-Sutherby-Burish (Burish takes faceoffs obviously)

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
STARS DAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Will he play tonight?
A very good question. He may be on the ice, but will he play. Is he going to be the same lazy player we traded away in 2002 or will he be the player he was in NJ after we traded him?

STARS DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
STARS DAWG

We should also thank New Jersey for the trade by just sending them Barch. Pleeeeeaseeeee!

STARS DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:56 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Langenbrunner wont play tonight (that was already announced)

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:57 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Very happy with this trade! I never really watched him play in Dallas since I was young. But I have seen highlights of him with us as I was growing older, and also him with the Devils! Our checking line looks scary good! Cant wait to watch our next game...too bad i'm missing tonights game, got a hockey tourney!
GO STARS!! 2011 the new 1999!?!?!

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Langenbrunner wont play tonight (that was already announced)
Good for me! I won't miss his first game!

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:59 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Crow said Langs will play with Ott-Burish or Ott-Wandell. I like Burish, but I hope it's Wandell.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm sure they'll get 6 minutes each with Ott and Langs, Burish maybe more.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARS DAWG View Post
We should also thank New Jersey for the trade by just sending them Barch. Pleeeeeaseeeee!
If only we were so lucky.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Caseman

Burish deserves third-line minutes more than Wandell

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Burish has negligible skill at anything. He's a 4th liner on a good team, nothing more, nothing less. We just have a skewed perspective because our 4th line has been so brutal for so long.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Am I the only one who thinks Langenbrunner's buy back date has long since passed? The price wasn't that high but he's been terrible on a terrible team, lost a step speedwise and was never all that great here or in Jersey in the first place.

I haven't been able to make myself like this so far. Someone sell it to me please.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Burish has negligible skill at anything. He's a 4th liner on a good team, nothing more, nothing less. We just have a skewed perspective because our 4th line has been so brutal for so long.
Are you kidding me? He was awesome with the Ribeiro line to begin the season, and was rocking with Ott later on the third line. I don't know why many of you have Burish pigeonholed. He has been well worth his contract and deserves more minutes than Wandell, who has done NOTHING this season.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look

Can't say I wish he wasn't traded, but I would root for the guy regardless of whether the pick was conditional. Being as it is, I'll definitely be rooting for him and Dallas. Get them out of the first round Jamie!

Lets go Stars!

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
Are you kidding me? He was awesome with the Ribeiro line to begin the season, and was rocking with Ott later on the third line. I don't know why many of you have Burish pigeonholed. He has been well worth his contract and deserves more minutes than Wandell, who has done NOTHING this season.
Burish is a good energy/checking guy. He doesn't have the puck awareness to play with Ribs full time. I would rather seen Benn or Wandell with Ribs and Morrow than Burish. Burish and Ott are basically the Bash Bros for us. I'm not pigeonholing him, I just don't think Burish is a true scrubby 4th liner, or a 2nd line player. He is quite perfect on the third line and PK.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
No, I'm not kidding you. We have vastly different definitions of awesome, apparently. He was a black hole on the Ribeiro line and has a pitiful amount of production to show for extended periods of time playing with far superior teammates to what Wandell has had to work with. He hasn't remotely been worth his contract, unless you think shooting 30 second spots and dishing out quotes is worth 500k. In no circumstance does he deserve more minutes than Wandell, who has looked EXCELLENT every time he gets a chance to play with even the 3rd tier type forwards on this team like Ott.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
I am very happy with the cost of this

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Caseman

Quote:
No, I'm not kidding you. We have vastly different definitions of awesome, apparently. He was a black hole on the Ribeiro line and has a pitiful amount of production to show for extended periods of time playing with far superior teammates to what Wandell has had to work with. He hasn't remotely been worth his contract, unless you think shooting 30 second spots and dishing out quotes is worth 500k. In no circumstance does he deserve more minutes than Wandell, who has looked EXCELLENT every time he gets a chance to play with even the 3rd tier type forwards on this team like Ott.
He wasn't the black hole, stats be damned. You and I both know he made plays along the boards and in front of the net that opened things up for Morrow and Ribeiro. I'm definitely not promoting him as a top 6 forward, but for what he does well, he did great at the start of the season. Wandell, on the other hand, has had one great game. His only saving grace is his skating ability. Hello Chris Conner v2.0.

I can't help what you see with Burish. I have him as one of the better, consistent players for this team so far. You have him as an abysmal waste (which is what he would be on the sparingly used 4th line). I love Wandell, but I don't believe he's deserved the ice-time (which is why he's been a healthy scratch from time to time).

Old
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Burish does what he does regardless of linemates. He's a great energy guy. His offensive skill is zilch. He wasnt awesome with Ribeiro, he was Burishy. Great guy to have but also a guy whos not going to produce anyting offensively

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Burish probably deserves the same sort of minutes as Wandell. They're really two different things, though.

Wandell has good puck & stick control, a a decent if lackluster shot, and throws checks like he's made of rubber. Bit of a perimeter player. Bit of a unique playmaker. Can't win a faceoff. Draws lots of penalties with his skating ability.

Burish has terrible puck awareness, a decent if lackluster shot, throws checks like a MAN (not a beast like Neal). Gets to the dirty areas. Contributes minimally offensively. CAN win a faceoff. Draws a few penalties through him being "tough".

Both play the PK and are therefore pretty good positionally. Both play a game that doesn't particularly require linemates of any caliber.

Honestly Burish only gets 3 minutes more a game than Wandell. Which I think is fair for both of them. I expect Wandell's TOI/G to drop 2 minutes because of Langenbrunner. Burish's might drop 1 minute. That's maybe 1-3 shifts each.

Old
01-07-2011, 01:18 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

Quote:
Wandell, on the other hand, has had one great game. His only saving grace is his skating ability. Hello Chris Conner v2.0.
Ridiculous. Conner never used his linemates. Wandell does. Conner couldn't handle physical play. Wandell can, and is starting to dish it out. Conner couldn't handle the puck except when going in a straight line. Wandell may be the most skilled on the team in that regard.
Quote:
I can't help what you see with Burish. I have him as one of the better, consistent players for this team so far. You have him as an abysmal waste (which is what he would be on the sparingly used 4th line).
Yes, I do. He's been as detrimental to this team as Krys Barch this season. That's right, f'ing Barch. Burish had basically one good game on Ribeiro's wing -- the Tampa loss. For where he's played in the lineup you just can't have someone who's that limited offensively. If he were firmly planted on the 4th line and on the PK, where he belongs, he'd be an asset, albeit a limited one. That sets him apart from Barch at least, who is a liability at all times, no matter where he plays.