Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NJ trades Langenbrunner to DAL

Old
01-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Ridiculous. Conner never used his linemates. Wandell does. Conner couldn't handle physical play. Wandell can, and is starting to dish it out. Conner couldn't handle the puck except when going in a straight line. Wandell may be the most skilled on the team in that regard.
Yes, I do. He's been as detrimental to this team as Krys Barch this season. That's right, f'ing Barch. Burish had basically one good game on Ribeiro's wing -- the Tampa loss. For where he's played in the lineup you just can't have someone who's that limited offensively. If he were firmly planted on the 4th line and on the PK, where he belongs, he'd be an asset, albeit a limited one. That sets him apart from Barch at least, who is a liability at all times, no matter where he plays.
Can't honestly say he's been as bad as Barch. Because at least Burish can skate at an NHL pace. And actually throw a decent hit... .which is why he is on the third line with Ott.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 0
Note that I did not say he's been as bad as Barch, only that he has been as detrimental proportional to his time on ice and quality of teammates.

Anyway, this thread is about Langenbrunner, so that's all I'll say about Burish for the time being.

We all saw how good this team can look when it has a real 3rd line (1st period in Chicago)

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
STARS DAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Burish is a good energy/checking guy. He doesn't have the puck awareness to play with Ribs full time. I would rather seen Benn or Wandell with Ribs and Morrow than Burish. Burish and Ott are basically the Bash Bros for us. I'm not pigeonholing him, I just don't think Burish is a true scrubby 4th liner, or a 2nd line player. He is quite perfect on the third line and PK.
Ott may also bash, but he has (always had) great puck handling skills and ice awareness. I know that is hard to see sometimes because of the lines he has been playing on. I don't care if you're Gretzky; when you pass to Barch, bad things are going to happen......

STARS DAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Eh, Burish with Ott is okay, mostly because he's good at defending, and Ott plays the "point" on defense. With Langenbrunner, I think that third line will be a thing of wonder.

Oh yeah.

I'm assuming Langs will play with Burish on the PK, but where the hell are we putting him on the PP? With Benn and Ott?

Old
01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Langenbrunner's buy back date has long since passed? The price wasn't that high but he's been terrible on a terrible team, lost a step speedwise and was never all that great here or in Jersey in the first place.

I haven't been able to make myself like this so far. Someone sell it to me please.
Im still not exactly sure how i feel about it. A 2nd for langenbrunner is a lot to give up unless we are getting a reinvigorated player who vastly improves his performance.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Im still not exactly sure how i feel about it. A 2nd for langenbrunner is a lot to give up unless we are getting a reinvigorated player who vastly improves his performance.
Wouldn't be surprised if Langenbrunner is re-energized with the trade. The telling thing about his conference call with the media was that he mentioned being asked to waive his NTC a couple times before agreeing to the Dallas trade. Knowing you're a lameduck would cause a lot of people to dog it.

The reputation of the 2011 Draft is that it's considerably weaker in depth than 2008-2010. And you could aim to recoup that pick at the Draft, Florida/Phoenix/Chicago all got late 2nd rounders for moving back a handful of spots in the first round last year.

Best of luck with Langenbrunner. If only for nostalgic reasons, Dallas was the best landing spot for him. But he fills in a nice role as the 3rd line RW as well as being able to fill in the top 6 should something happen.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Evgeny Oliker

So who is the odd man out with this trade?

Would it be Segal since he has been in and out of the lineup lately?

thx.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
So who is the odd man out with this trade?

Would it be Segal since he has been in and out of the lineup lately?

thx.
Crow seems to try to keep everyone involved. I imagine Barch, Segal, and Sutherby (well as soon as Petersen is healthy) will rotate scratches until one can be dumped (if Dallas can dump one).

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
Welcome back Jamie!!!

Very happy with this deal, always wanted to see Langenbrunner back in a Stars jersey! Not only that, but we finally add another RW who actually shoots right!

As said earlier, yes he's had a sub-par season, but here's hoping he turns it around amongst some familiar faces (well....two, I guess, in Morrow and Ott).

01-07-2011, 02:16 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
So based on what I have read, if the Stars make it out of the first round and Langenbrunner is re-signed before the draft all the Stars give up is 2011's second?
I know it says "or" but is it the same if both things happen?

It says "New Jersey will receive a 2011 second-round pick if Dallas wins a round in the 2011 playoffs OR re-sign Langenbrunner before the 2011 Entry Draft. "

I also expect the Stars to re-sign him, unless the trade is a complete failure.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
As said earlier, yes he's had a sub-par season, but here's hoping he turns it around amongst some familiar faces (well....two, I guess, in Morrow and Ott).
I think you will see him play the type of hockey he's capable of in Dallas. As some New Jersey posters noted here, Lou asked him to waive his no-trade a few times this year starting in camp. As a captain of a team, that can't be a positive environment to be trying to deal with when you know you're not wanted there.

Sounds like he was happy in New Jersey, where he makes his home and maybe he told Lou that to waive, he'd go only to Philly (which would mean not having to uproot), or Dallas, where he has familiarity with the management and the community. Well, the Devils probably didn't want to deal him in the division, and Dallas' issues with the frozen budget and internal cap maybe kept him with the Devils until there was some clarity.

He's always played some of his best hockey in the playoffs, and I thought in the Olympics last year, he was dynamite for U.S.A. He was also playing through injury earlier this year. Now that he's healthy, he'll be a wonderful addition - and, I believe, the right fit on the Ribeiro line.

BeaverSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
So based on what I have read, if the Stars make it out of the first round and Langenbrunner is re-signed before the draft all the Stars give up is 2011's second?
I know it says "or" but is it the same if both things happen?
Yup, if either of those things happen, New Jersey gets a 2011 2nd and the trade is completed.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Love this deal!
Good to see that baby faced guy back here.

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
And if Dallas resigns him after the July first, they swap 2012 second and third round picks, yes? (NJ's third to Dallas, Dallas' third to NJ).

As far as why this is a decent move, several reasons. First, he brings deep playoff run experience to a fairly young team. Only Morrow and Richards have made SCF runs in the past. Second, he's a flipping right shot (all hail the right shot). They can experiment with him with Ribeiro since Ribeiro reportedly covets right shots for his RWs. Benn has been decent there but is not scoring near as much as he did before moving to that line. Lots of assists on Ribeiro-Morrow combination goals. Moving him if someone else works is not the worst thing in the world. Benn-Burish-Ott was a great combination earlier this year.

It also gives them infinite more options if/when a forward gets hurt. It gives them an extra body for the top 9 and enables them to make a really high-end checking like if they want of Ott-Burish-Langenbrunner. Wandell is fast and draws a lot of penalties but has struggled with a more physical game and produces very little offense other than drawing power plays.

Given the cost is fairly low, I've got not issue with it. It's like the money they had set aside to re-sign Lehtinen, had he not retired, and it's filling the role he would have had if he came back.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
(well....two, I guess, in Morrow and Ott).
Morrow- yes, Ott- no- if you're referring to teammates, that is. Then again, he probably knows Ott from when he was drafted in 2000?

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Kritter471

Would Robidas have been on tour of duty No. 1 when Langenbrunner was still here (before being traded and reacquired for something involving Jon Klemm)?

Old
01-07-2011, 03:09 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Would Robidas have been on tour of duty No. 1 when Langenbrunner was still here (before being traded and reacquired for something involving Jon Klemm)?
No. Robidas was acquired in the same off-season (2002-03) that brought in Guerin, Young, and Boucher and much thanks to Guy Carbonneau (then, special assistant to GM) for recommending him. Langs was gone near about the trade deadline of the 2001-02 season.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Well at least Ludwig is still close by... and Brent Severyn.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Morrow- yes, Ott- no- if you're referring to teammates, that is. Then again, he probably knows Ott from when he was drafted in 2000?
Yeah my mistake, forgot which year Jamie was dealt.....spring of '02, and Ott was a rookie the following season.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Kritter471

I think Ott would have been up in training camp, so they would have met a couple times, but everyone other than him and Morrow a post-2002 draft or signee.

Old
01-07-2011, 04:56 PM
BenedictGomez
1st 2say Fire DeBoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Langenbrunner's buy back date has long since passed? The price wasn't that high but he's been terrible on a terrible team, lost a step speedwise and was never all that great here or in Jersey in the first place.

I haven't been able to make myself like this so far. Someone sell it to me please.
You're pretty much spot on.

IMO, Langs' days in the NHL are pretty well numbered. Still, the Stars only need him for 1/2 a season and a (hopefully) long playoff run, and if he can be rejuvenated for a bit, the cost wont be that bad ultimately. It's not like he's going to hurt you're third line, put it that way. Is a 2nd round pick too much? I think so, but I also expected a NHL GM to pay exactly that. If he regains his prior status as a clutch playoff performer, nobody on this board is likely going to mind losing a 2nd round pick in a (relatively) weak draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
As some New Jersey posters noted here, Lou asked him to waive his no-trade a few times this year starting in camp. As a captain of a team, that can't be a positive environment to be trying to deal with when you know you're not wanted there.
He also had a rumored caustic relationship with Lemaire, and, well, Lemaire is back as of 2 weeks ago. And that "rumor" isnt a rumor anymore, since right after the trade today one of the Devils writers had some unkind words (below) about it. Also, according to one of our posters from La Belle Province, Mario Trembley (ex Devils assistant) had some very, very unkind words about it on French radio today. Clearly he had to go.

Quote:
when Jacques Lemaire replaced Sutter, the coach-captain relationship took a downward turn.

It culminated with Jamie causing an unpleasant scene in the homestretch when the Devils least needed a public fuss. But the captain resented the fact that he was told to travel with the team -- while recovering from injury; team policy, by the way -- and spent a day playing "No Comment" games with the media before exacerbating the coach-captain rift.

Langenbrunner was veteran enough to know better, but handled himself like a spoiled rookie. His performances thereafter in the aborted playoff run and this season did nothing to warrant keeping him any longer.

Once Lemaire returned as John MacLean's replacement, it was only a matter of time before the captain would be moved.

BenedictGomez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 05:46 PM
catters078

Love it

Price is fair too

Bring it on western conference, our top 9 can go with anyone now.

my proposed lines

neal-Richards-eriksson
morrow-ribeiro-benn (leave it for now)
Burish-Ott-Langenbrunner
Segal-Wandell-Peteresen

PP unit 1
Eriksson-Ribeiro-Morrow
Richards-Robidas

unit 2

Neal-Benn-Langenbrunner
Richards(they want him out for two minutes i dont like it but meh)-Daley

Then Give Ott the last 30 seconds back with the first unit

PK 1

Ott-Benn
Grossman-Robidas

PK 2

Langenbrunner-Eriksson
Skrastins-Daley

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:49 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
After Jamie, what? Or, should I say, after Langenbrunner, who?

This much is certain, the trade that sends New Jersey's enigmatic captain to Dallas makes sense from all sides. But, really, the question now is: Who goes next and who goes after that?
http://www.msg.com/blogs/stan-fischl...s-next-1.58228

This is actually the whole blog, by Stan Fischler, from which the excerpt (courtesy of BenedictGomez) was taken. Hard to believe such biased drivel could come out of someone who's been in broadcasting for so long. So some stuff happened between Langs and Lemaire. How about a little insight that the fans might be unaware of what actually happened? Considering the manner he singles out Langenbrunner for some maximum verbal carnage- sounding more like a disgruntled fan than "The Hockey Maven" he claims to be- I really question the validity of whatever he accuses the ex-captain of. As if Lamoreillo's managerial moves had nothing to do with the way things are in NJ.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 01-08-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old
01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

We needed someone to try to fill in for Jere. Nice fit here. Vet, with leadership, defensive presense and some scoring ability. Like the group of 30 plus (aged) players the likes of Benn, Larsen, Neal, soon to be Campbell will get to develop alongside. Tonnes of character moves by Joe.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
Love it

Price is fair too

Bring it on western conference, our top 9 can go with anyone now.

my proposed lines

neal-Richards-eriksson
morrow-ribeiro-benn (leave it for now)
Burish-Ott-Langenbrunner
Segal-Wandell-Peteresen

PP unit 1
Eriksson-Ribeiro-Morrow
Richards-Robidas

unit 2

Neal-Benn-Langenbrunner
Richards(they want him out for two minutes i dont like it but meh)-Daley

Then Give Ott the last 30 seconds back with the first unit

PK 1

Ott-Benn
Grossman-Robidas

PK 2

Langenbrunner-Eriksson
Skrastins-Daley
Langenbrunner plays the point on the PP I believe, maybe they will give Richie some rest.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote