HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus/Minus Game 42 @ Montreal

Old
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Plus/Minus Game 42 @ Montreal

+PK (Adams, Talbot, Orpik, Staal etc.)
+Asham looked good out there and got a goal.
-Geno needs to produce in these games. We just donít have the horses to score when Crosby is out unless Malkin brings his A game. Had a few shifts where he was dangerous, but he also made some real head stretcher decisions with the puck.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:28 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
+PK (Adams, Talbot, Orpik, Staal etc.)
+Asham looked good out there and got a goal.
-Geno needs to produce in these games. We just donít have the horses to score when Crosby is out unless Malkin brings his A game. Had a few shifts where he was dangerous, but he also made some real head stretcher decisions with the puck.
His shootout would have ended the game. It looked like he was going to cut back for an open net and he went WITH Price to the right.

This team deserved better tonight, and I'm still wondering how there was no call on:

TK getting draped by two guys
Free hand on Kunitz on his break
Gomez tripping Geno
And Staal getting mauled by Pouliot at the end

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:29 PM
ThosePuckingPenguins

+ PK - Adams is ridiculous. As well as the others but when he blocked two consecutive shots, that was huge.
+ First period - Came out with great energy, played with fire.
+ BJ - Kept us in the game IMO and did well in the shootout too.

- Second period - Third wasn't as bad but the whole second period just sucked.
- PP - *sigh*...
- Officiating - So many horrible calls in the third

Honestly, I don't think Malkin was THAT bad. In the third, he started looking like himself and was dangerous. Sure, he's made his mistakes and could've won us the game in the shootout but I'm just going to be one of the few to say that he didn't play that horribly because I know many others will.

ThosePuckingPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Ugene Malkin
GOING FOR DRUNK

+ got a point

- Frustration that is the Habs.....

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

- a large number of people in the match thread going completely bunkers.

We outshot them 32-23 on the second night of a back to back without Crosby, Cooke and Fleury, getting rather shafted by the referees when it comes to penalties.
In the end it was a shoot-out loss away against a team in the playoffs with a very, very good goalie.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Geno was an even here.. didn't play a terrible game, he just could have played better.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:35 PM

- we play the Habs again in 6 days.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
His shootout would have ended the game. It looked like he was going to cut back for an open net and he went WITH Price to the right.

This team deserved better tonight, and I'm still wondering how there was no call on:

TK getting draped by two guys
Free hand on Kunitz on his break
Gomez tripping Geno
And Staal getting mauled by Pouliot at the end
Geno's had a few breakaways where he makes a sweet move just to put the puck a little wide or on the goalie's toe. Still when is he going to win us a game? I took a lot of **** for pointing out when Fleury wasn't getting the job done. Geno was hurt for a while and playing with scrubs so I've been giving him a pass, but if he doesn't start picking it up in the next 10-15 games we're in a very bad way.

I liked the effort level from our army of grinders. They did their jobs for the most part and didn't do anything dumb to cost us the game.

I try not to worry about the refs; that stuff tends to even out in the course of the year. Still I see you point on those (non) calls though.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Don't really care much about the game. But seriously, do they hand out ****ing pacifiers for all the fans in Montreal?

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

+ Goligoski.

People always give him **** when he makes mistakes, tonight he played sound hockey and looked real dynamic a few times.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:39 PM
PensFanSince1989

I hope Bylsma blows up a photo of Price in his poise after the SO win and posts it in the locker room before we face them next week.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
- a large number of people in the match thread going completely bunkers.

We outshot them 32-23 on the second night of a back to back without Crosby, Cooke and Fleury, getting rather shafted by the referees when it comes to penalties.
In the end it was a shoot-out loss away against a team in the playoffs with a very, very good goalie.
They deserved a better fate tonight. I'm sorry, but it's the team playing back to back that should be limited to 5 and 4 shots in the first and third periods.

People can defend Malkin all they want. I want him to score on one ****ing breakaway to put a game away and be done with it. I've watched his shootout attempt ten times already and I have no idea how when he baited Price to go left, he went with him. My hands were half raised when he looked like he was going to cut back.

MtlPenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins View Post
Honestly, I don't think Malkin was THAT bad. In the third, he started looking like himself and was dangerous. Sure, he's made his mistakes and could've won us the game in the shootout but I'm just going to be one of the few to say that he didn't play that horribly because I know many others will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Geno was an even here.. didn't play a terrible game, he just could have played better.
It wasn't an OMG he lost us the game thing for me. He played well for stretches. It was more that he's supposed to be one of our two franchise players. We sacrifice depth to run with him and Sid. When Sid is hurt Geno has to be the best player on the ice.

Old
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Malkin4Top6Wingerz
Can you like, shutup

+ Malkin wasn't great, but he had a lot of opportunities and played well in the third so I'll be generous and put him as a plus. I'd like to see him bury those chances though, he's too good to not convert those plays regularly.

+ BJ played well despite being lobotomized by that shootout move once again.

+ Our PK > Both of their PK's combined

+ Asham played an excellent game and showed exactly why putting Mike Rupp in over him is a clear mistake.

+ Letang played very well at both ends of the ice and was always noticeable. His contract continues to be a gem.

- Gift wrapping extended 5 on 3's to the opposing team again by carelessly shooting the puck out of play. Seriously, wtf?

- Officiating in general. Too many missed calls on each team to count.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

I wouldn't give Malkin a minus but I would give a minus to the fact that he's even for me on far too many nights.

If you're being fair though he was by far the most dangerous Penguin tonight. Aside from Asham putting one in every other forward not mentioned just about blew goats. Just a tad bit of credit to the Habs all around. Just a little.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Gold Diamond
Dey Soff

- Dupuis for being completely worthless with the puck tonight. If I see him wind and shoot another off angle shot that is easily saved I'm gonna tear my eyes out.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I thought it was a good point to earn going into Montreal. Besides the Staal clothsline I didn't think it was a badly called game. Some iffy stuff but overall nothing to get up in arms about.

+Adams: This guy knows he is on this team to be a human shield and accepts the job anyways.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jdpitt05

- Not a fan of Talbots play lately at all.
- Dupuis continues to be a black hole of offense. I'd love him on the 4th line. Absolutely hate him in the top 2.

I really hope Shero can pull something off soon to push the grinders out of the top 6. Or call up Jeffrey or Tangradi. Defensively we are playing great, but we should be pulling away from these games, not enough offense.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Old Master

vCash: 50
gogo and lovejoy didn't look bad out there

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
People can defend Malkin all they want. I want him to score on one ****ing breakaway to put a game away and be done with it.
Yeah. Would be nice. I just find it a little tough to stomach the level of criticism today when he has 7 goals in his last 11 games since coming back from injury at Philly and scored alone with the goalie in both the past two games - or last time we lost a shoot out at the Isles when he also scored. Critique of Geno is fine and well, but he didn't play badly at all tonight.

Penalty shots quite obviously isn't his forte and it never was even at the best of times for him. Was it the 'good old Geno' tonight? No. But he was very dangerous just the same against a team/defensive pairing that has made life miserable also for Crosby in the last couple of games.

Again - it happens, we shouldn't have lost but we did. At least we got a point.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:56 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

---------- that stupid pose Price did at the end of the SO. That deserved a kick in the nuts!

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 09:59 PM
SidGenoMario

I just don't understand the logistics of Geno being so bad on penalty shots and shootouts. He's got unparalleled skill and a rocket.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Malkin and Dupuis get a big minus from me.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
---------- that stupid pose Price did at the end of the SO. That deserved a kick in the nuts!
Agreed.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Just got back from the Bell Centre. Lousy game, overall. So little happening for two periods. We played alright considering the massive lack of skill missing from our lineup. On the way home I heard about the Crosby diagnosis. This just gets better and better.

Habs always find a way to ruin the party. Always.

I liked Letang's game tonight. Johnson was very solid. Orpik was steady. The PK was excellent. Otherwise, nothing to write home about.

Screw this B.S. Next week, it'll be more of the same. Ugh.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote