HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011 II

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 500
Friedman's 30 thoughts includes a note that Washington is among the many teams often spotted scouting Merrimack free agent center Stephane Da Costa. Along similar lines, one of the NCAA UFAs they pursued last season in defenseman Chris Tanev was recently called up by Vancouver.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I know its ESPN and power rankings aren't worth much, but just so people know how objective people who follow hockey view the Caps, they're still ranked 6th in ESPN's latest power rankings. I doubt they've dropped much in other outlets either. So for people who think the sky is falling, take a deep breathe and step back from the ledge.

01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I know its ESPN and power rankings aren't worth much, but just so people know how objective people who follow hockey view the Caps, they're still ranked 6th in ESPN's latest power rankings. I doubt they've dropped much in other outlets either. So for people who think the sky is falling, take a deep breathe and step back from the ledge.
What was our final ranking last year?

Old
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
What was our final ranking last year?
Does it matter? People are claiming we're playing like dog ass right now in the regular season. Apparently, there are a lot of teams playing even worse. You don't get to have it both ways. You don't get to say the playoffs are the only thing that matters, and then ***** about how horrible the team is playing in the regular season, especially when the team is still relatively good. That's just called complaining to have something to complain about. Any team can always play better, and the last few games before Ottawa were rough, but as TXPD and myself have said, if Ovie and Nick just become Ovie and Nick, we're right back to rolling the league, and probably better prepared for the playoffs.

Will it happen? No one knows, despite the many here who claim to.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:23 PM
txpd

you see, thats the thing. ov and nick. boudreau has changed their playing partners to get them going. he has changed their assignments. he has given them more ice and less ice. he has encouraged and admonished them.

i dont know what a new coach could do to get them going. ok...like torts a new coach could bench them. scratch them. then you risk creating turmoil and contriversy that makes the situation worse, not better.

my favorite reaction to this recent stuff has been to fire mcphee over ov and nick. wah?

i dont know if there is anything to be done except keep giving them swings til they start hitting. if they have both gone jim carey, the caps are dead. if they return to form, they are in a pretty good position.

watch and see what happens.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
artilector

Quote:
You don't get to say the playoffs are the only thing that matters, and then ***** about how horrible the team is playing in the regular season, especially when the team is still relatively good.
Not really. A person might reasonably consider regular season point totals to be irrelevant, yet still be concerned about the way the teams plays, because it has ramifications on how it will play in playoffs. This isn't the Lakers, a championship team with infallible credentials, where even if they play like ass, you can reasonably assume that they will flip the switch come playoffs. We don't even know if the Caps have that kind of switch, much less whether they can flip it. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to look at how the team is playing so far, and be concerned about playoffs.

FWIW, I understand you're tired of negativity, but that's what happens when a team you root for does repetitive faceplants in the playoffs. The Caps haven't exactly given the fanbase the confidence to look forward to playoffs with great optimism, especially when they haven't been able to put more than a handful of "60 minute" games so far this season.

Old
01-17-2011, 10:50 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Not really. A person might reasonably consider regular season point totals to be irrelevant, yet still be concerned about the way the teams plays, because it has ramifications on how it will play in playoffs. This isn't the Lakers, a championship team with infallible credentials, where even if they play like ass, you can reasonably assume that they will flip the switch come playoffs. We don't even know if the Caps have that kind of switch, much less whether they can flip it. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to look at how the team is playing so far, and be concerned about playoffs.

FWIW, I understand you're tired of negativity, but that's what happens when a team you root for does repetitive faceplants in the playoffs. The Caps haven't exactly given the fanbase the confidence to look forward to playoffs with great optimism, especially when they haven't been able to put more than a handful of "60 minute" games so far this season.
Exactly my point. Even if the team was in 1st in the league (as it was earlier than year), people would and did still complain, and will complain no matter what else happens. The fact that they're 2nd in the conference right now (edit: tied) doesn't matter. That they've actually struggled some this season has just allowed these people to try to claim it's objectivity as opposed to what it is, which is outright misery. Some people just want to complain rather then enjoying the season and waiting for the playoffs to see what, if any, lessons the team has learned. People act around here as if the team is the Islanders, which blows my mind considering how little success it took to spoil them.

Last edited by mrwarden: 01-17-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old
01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
third man in

Quote:
Does it matter? People are claiming we're playing like dog ass right now in the regular season. Apparently, there are a lot of teams playing even worse. You don't get to have it both ways. You don't get to say the playoffs are the only thing that matters, and then ***** about how horrible the team is playing in the regular season, especially when the team is still relatively good. That's just called complaining to have something to complain about. Any team can always play better, and the last few games before Ottawa were rough, but as TXPD and myself have said, if Ovie and Nick just become Ovie and Nick, we're right back to rolling the league, and probably better prepared for the playoffs.

Will it happen? No one knows, despite the many here who claim to.
I'm not even one of the real negative types around here. I've been calling for some adversity this season even before the season started. I was even happy that the rest of the division improved. No easy skate to the finish line this year boys.

I am happy with the defensive improvements and the pk. Of course we are scratching out some points. As long as they make the playoffs I don't care where they're seeded. The RS at this stage is to prepare for the PO's that's it.

However it is fn scary when the PP can't function, the stars look apathetic for 1/2 the year, and they have put together maybe 2 or 3 60min efforts so far. The Caps team I grew up with didn't regularly take off periods/games like this. It is bull**** to watch over and over. Especially in the PO's they should have wrapped up game 5 and came out flat and blamed it on a ******* airport. Maybe when the team gives a regular effort some of us fans will cut them a little more slack. The fire Bruce every second crowd gets old, but so does the head in the sand crowd too.

You're also right if Nick and Ovie get it together at the right time we could be unstoppable. Hope they figure it out by April.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:36 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
I'm not even one of the real negative types around here. I've been calling for some adversity this season even before the season started. I was even happy that the rest of the division improved. No easy skate to the finish line this year boys.

I am happy with the defensive improvements and the pk. Of course we are scratching out some points. As long as they make the playoffs I don't care where they're seeded. The RS at this stage is to prepare for the PO's that's it.

However it is fn scary when the PP can't function, the stars look apathetic for 1/2 the year, and they have put together maybe 2 or 3 60min efforts so far. The Caps team I grew up with didn't regularly take off periods/games like this. It is bull**** to watch over and over. Especially in the PO's they should have wrapped up game 5 and came out flat and blamed it on a ******* airport. Maybe when the team gives a regular effort some of us fans will cut them a little more slack. The fire Bruce every second crowd gets old, but so does the head in the sand crowd too.

You're also right if Nick and Ovie get it together at the right time we could be unstoppable. Hope they figure it out by April.
The thing is, no one is saying everythings great. Its not. When the "optimists" are the one saying they have three months to figure it out and that's considered "head in the sand" it tells you how horrible skewed perspectives around here are when they're currently the 2 seed (edit: tied for it).

Last edited by mrwarden: 01-17-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old
01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
ahimsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Oh, they're totally going to Russia. It's a slam dunk. Lundqvist and the Rangers to Sweden, Capitals to Russia, maybe Ducks to Finland (Selanne, Koivu, Lydman).

Sounds like there are a good number of unnamed countries too. Maybe Ducks to Switzerland (Hiller, Sbisa). Switzerland is awesome.
I'd be in for going to Switzerland. Russia is more difficult and less attractive to me. Most of my family escaped except my grandfather who they took away. Thought he might be in Siberia in the gulogs but an aunt who went back to see the old village found out in the records that they just shot him. Plus don't you have to have special visa's to travel in Russia?

Last edited by ahimsa: 01-18-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Devil Dancer

It's always a mistake to argue with HF collectively. Accept the conventional wisdom for what it is, and move on.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
#Caps prospect Kuznetsov re: playing for WAS next yr:"These r just rumors. It's 2 early 4 me 2 play in the NHL. I have a contract w/Traktor"
-dchesnokov

Old
01-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

That's very reasonable. I like Kuz.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Funkyalligator

For me, while I certainly am not happy with the way the Caps have played collectively this year minus the PK and the D(mostly) what I am super happy about is the way the franchise has been rebuilt from the ground up providing a steady pipeline of talent to infuse our roster with great players. Ted and GMGM have done all they could in that area short of breaking the bank or our pipeline of talent. Our team will be competative for years to come and we'll have a chance at the cup year after year.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

The Flyers 6 of 7 this year… and that’s without Pronger… Philly is clearly the best team in the East maybe even the NHL…
The Caps are Fehrless and Seminless, IR…
1st of 3 on the road, I hope this road trip bring our boys together.
You know It’s gonna be a fight…. C’mon boys start the trip right ****'em up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: I am ******** , wrong thread.

Last edited by Vladiator16: 01-18-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
txpd

The head in the sand crew? The mess this team is in has been going on long enough for me to see somethings clear.

* Ovechkin and Backstrom are messed up. Its hard to even guess why at this point. The only thing I know is that I dont expect a 3 goal game from 8 or a patented 4 assist game from 19 out of the blue. I think if and when they recover that i will look more like training camp to october to november than idle to afterburner.

* Without those two plus Semin out injured the team is not just limited, but crippled.

* They are on a 7-2-3 run on the backs of talented rookies(90, 74, 27, 1, & 30), middle of the lineup players(22, 23) and bottom of the payroll players(hendricks, steckel, beagle, erskine).

My head is not in or near any sand. With what the middle and bottom of the lineup and the rookies are showing in the clutch can be combined with a top 5 pp and standard production from 8-19-28 the Caps are a potential juggernaut. IF one of those 3 shows back up, they can compete. If none come back to form, they are dead in the water and there is nothing Scotty Bowman could do about it.

Old
01-18-2011, 09:51 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
I think its high time it gets noted that Carlson leads all caps at +14, and Alzner right behind him at +10. I have to say I may need to eat crow. I thought it was best they each get paired with a vet (who didnt like the Poti Carlson pairing last spring) but the kids have been more than able to hang. Looking at our other defensemen, its hard to find mentors for them anyways. Sarge and Green may utilize mentors more than they can be mentors. Poti is MIA. Erksine, nope he is a guaranteed scratch at full health. Hannan has just gotten his feet wet but is mentoring as others watch him get moved around our lineup.

I think Bruce needs to go against his best instinct and at some point this spring, also try Alzner Green | Schultz Carlson. I think Alzner has earned it for one. If we want to overcome diversity, we cant be afraid to break up two kids to play with two other kids. Who knows, maybe the two other kids could be better from it.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
fsnoles98

A good read regarding our owner

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/01/...from-lombardi/

Old
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

Neuvirth & Varlamov both D2D with lower-body injuries. Holtby & Leonhardt are the goalies at practice.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Foy

I'm not the biggest fan of Ted, but that article was clearly wrong. I really don't think Ted meddles that much anymore. This article would have been a valid criticism of him if it were written 6, 7 years ago, but he's the one that said he'd only do the HBO special if GMGM approved. That sounds beyond unmeddlesome to me. Are there PLENTY of valid criticisms of Ted? Sure. Is this one? not at all.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Foy

at least they were close to Philly when both goalies got injured the same day as opposed to Calgary.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:31 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Add a G to our consideration list of potential to do's for the TDL. Neuvy is our anchor health wise of the two, and he has been a bit injury prone it seems. Still probably less than Varly, but he may be gaining ground. We better get Holtby some games just in case, assuming we pass on a G (which I think we will). Like actually play him, not call him up and make him watch for a month.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of Ted, but that article was clearly wrong. I really don't think Ted meddles that much anymore. This article would have been a valid criticism of him if it were written 6, 7 years ago, but he's the one that said he'd only do the HBO special if GMGM approved. That sounds beyond unmeddlesome to me. Are there PLENTY of valid criticisms of Ted? Sure. Is this one? not at all.
Yeah how someone can put Leonsis' blog entry in the same article as those other examples of meddling ownership I have no idea. As Foy said in the pre lockout days there were plenty of things Leonsis did that would belong with those other examples but this was far from it.

He didn't say anything other than they needed to be better as a team and especially their best players. Does anyone disagree with that? If he was threatening Boudreau's and McPhee's jobs or to trade guys if things didn't improve soon that would be meddling. This was absolutely nothing IMO...

Old
01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Foy

Claiming Ted is a meddling owner at this point is like claiming the Caps need to stop buying Free Agents and build through the draft, sooooo 2004. Unlike other DC owners, Ted seems to have learned his lesson in regards to interfering with the hockey guys.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
txpd

i dont know. things are going so well around here that a little something negative balances things out. leonsis is a fool, boudreau a clown, mcphee an undertaker(meant in the best possible use of the term), the players have no iq or desire or maturity and the team's fans no idea how to be good hockey fans.

and so.....what's next? dick patrick is a crossdresser?

Closed Thread