HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011 II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i dont know. things are going so well around here that a little something negative balances things out. leonsis is a fool, boudreau a clown, mcphee an undertaker(meant in the best possible use of the term), the players have no iq or desire or maturity and the team's fans no idea how to be good hockey fans.

and so.....what's next? dick patrick is a crossdresser?
we start giving DVDs of movies to the players to cheer them up.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Neuvirth & Varlamov both D2D with lower-body injuries. Holtby & Leonhardt are the goalies at practice.
Varly looking for some free time to do some DVD watching.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Just imagine all the filth and scratches accumulated on them. I think we all know they were used.

Old
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Just imagine all the filth and scratches accumulated on them. I think we all know they were used.
I disagree, I believe they were treated with "kid gloves".

Old
01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I disagree, I believe they were treated with "kid gloves".
Those gloves smell.

Bad.

Book it.

I won't even get into the runny nose thing.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-19-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old
01-19-2011, 02:52 PM
txpd

Being a broadcaster by trade, I knew this was coming. The effect on the NHL of the NBC/Comcast merger may well be dramatic. The VS deal which seemed so weak at the start now looks genius.

Here's an article with the breakdown overall. I can't say in the crosshairs and anything like that anymore. But you can see who is in trouble with this developement.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/me..._lnk3%7C196167

Old
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Being a broadcaster by trade, I knew this was coming. The effect on the NHL of the NBC/Comcast merger may well be dramatic. The VS deal which seemed so weak at the start now looks genius.

Here's an article with the breakdown overall. I can't say in the crosshairs and anything like that anymore. But you can see who is in trouble with this developement.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/me..._lnk3%7C196167
if ESPN wants back in on negotiations for NHL broacast rights, the NHL should make it clear that they start covering (if not promoting) ice hockey now. as it stands, ESPN's highlights and analysis segments really under-represent the sport. i know it doesn't make sense for ESPN to give hockey "equal" coverage, per se, but if the league has that thumbscrew on a major broadcaster, they should use it.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
if ESPN wants back in on negotiations for NHL broacast rights, the NHL should make it clear that they start covering (if not promoting) ice hockey now. as it stands, ESPN's highlights and analysis segments really under-represent the sport. i know it doesn't make sense for ESPN to give hockey "equal" coverage, per se, but if the league has that thumbscrew on a major broadcaster, they should use it.
I'm not sure what you're expecting. Even when the NHL was on ESPN, their coverage was abysmal compared to the other major North American sports.

Old
01-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Aside of PTI, OTL, 30in30, and Baseball Tonight, ESPN is pretty horrific as a whole. Sports Center, in particular, is a joke. And they run it like 8 hours a day.

When they get Brent Musburger from ABC, they can do a good college football game, but otherwise their live sports coverage sucks too.

And this isn't even touching on their web coverage. BLEGH.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Aside of PTI, OTL, 30in30, and Baseball Tonight, ESPN is pretty horrific as a whole. Sports Center, in particular, is a joke. And they run it like 8 hours a day.

When they get Brent Musburger from ABC, they can do a good college football game, but otherwise their live sports coverage sucks too.

And this isn't even touching on their web coverage. BLEGH.
Oh come on...they consistantly put on some of the best, if not THE best sports reporting and programming in the world. I'm guessing you just hate ESPN overall?

Old
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
You're also right if Nick and Ovie get it together at the right time we could be unstoppable. Hope they figure it out by April.
At what point does one become concerned that they're not going to snap out of it this season? If I had a dollar for all the times this season I've seen the words "Ovechkin starting to look like his usual self and should snap out of this funk anyday now..." Been waiting a long time for anyday and there's only about two and a half months left in the season.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
txpd

the sign that ov's game is returning will be his puck handling. when he stops whiffing every game, i bet the puck will be going in the net at the same time.

Old
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
I'm not sure what you're expecting. Even when the NHL was on ESPN, their coverage was abysmal compared to the other major North American sports.
It sure was....but it probably got the coverage that it warrented in the US. You don't force feed coverage of a sport if only a small portion of your viewers are interested.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Miller30Sabres*

Holtby recalled

http://capitals.nhl.com/club/news.ht...20in%20English

Old
01-19-2011, 09:38 PM
txpd

old news.

Old
01-19-2011, 10:18 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It sure was....but it probably got the coverage that it warrented in the US. You don't force feed coverage of a sport if only a small portion of your viewers are interested.
You mean like 8 hours of poker per day?

ESPN treated hockey as an after thought joke for a long time. It was only once the Ovechkin/Crosby popularity contest went due north did the start to whine about wanting hockey back. My guess is they would treat hockey better for a short time and go back to combat tiddly winks as the lead story.

Old
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Sure, they were catering to their audience, which is what a good business does. I don't blame ESPN, I'm just reminding people of what it was like back when ESPN had the contract.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:07 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
At what point does one become concerned that they're not going to snap out of it this season? If I had a dollar for all the times this season I've seen the words "Ovechkin starting to look like his usual self and should snap out of this funk anyday now..." Been waiting a long time for anyday and there's only about two and a half months left in the season.
I think I'm in denial at this point. My brain can't comprehend the slump these guys are in. Maybe I am the ostrich.

Old
01-20-2011, 11:29 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
You mean like 8 hours of poker per day?

ESPN treated hockey as an after thought joke for a long time. It was only once the Ovechkin/Crosby popularity contest went due north did the start to whine about wanting hockey back. My guess is they would treat hockey better for a short time and go back to combat tiddly winks as the lead story.
You might not like poker, but its explosive growth is well documented, thus warrenting coverage.

Old
01-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Oh come on...they consistantly put on some of the best, if not THE best sports reporting and programming in the world. I'm guessing you just hate ESPN overall?
I do hate ESPN, but it's because of it's joke coverage. They are incredibly agenda driven, biased, and uneven in their sports coverage. Have you already forgotten the Big Ben **** scandals at ESPN?

If you want to talk explosive growth in sports, poker isn't the one you should point at, it's NASCAR. Yet ESPN NASCAR coverage has grown very slowly, and definitely behind the sport. I'm no NASCAR fan, and I enjoy poker, but their coverage of the two is ridiculous. ESPN is a joke.

Old
01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Miller30Sabres*

trade someone like semin for miller!, keep Varlamov and Holtby, trade neuvi, i think miller needs a stanley cup but does not have the right setting D in buffalo 4 it

Old
01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I do hate ESPN, but it's because of it's joke coverage. They are incredibly agenda driven, biased, and uneven in their sports coverage. Have you already forgotten the Big Ben **** scandals at ESPN?

If you want to talk explosive growth in sports, poker isn't the one you should point at, it's NASCAR. Yet ESPN NASCAR coverage has grown very slowly, and definitely behind the sport. I'm no NASCAR fan, and I enjoy poker, but their coverage of the two is ridiculous. ESPN is a joke.
HAHA....ok man. Settle down...

Old
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlamov1Caps View Post
trade someone like semin for miller!, keep Varlamov and Holtby, trade neuvi, i think miller needs a stanley cup but does not have the right setting D in buffalo 4 it
I like Varlamov the most of the young goalies, but at this point, for some strange reason I can't quite put my finger on, I really hope if they trade one, that it's him.

01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I like Varlamov the most of the young goalies, but at this point, for some strange reason I can't quite put my finger on, I really hope if they trade one, that it's him.
...And Neuvirth30Caps is born!!

Old
01-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

cmasisak22: Kane, St. Louis, Kesler, Green named ASG alternate captains.

Closed Thread