HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2010-2011 II

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Alex Semin playoff stats: 28GP 8 Goals 16 Assists 24 Points

Hasn't missed a game. Not bad for a flighty sullen lazy waste of cap space. Sure, his critics can point out that he didnt score against Montreal. But he sure as hell tried, and the revolving door at center may have been a factor. Why some of you choose to obsess over his regular season play and ignore his playoff game, is mind boggling. The dude flat out steps up when the games count. The regular season is for entertainment purposes only. Learn it, know it, be it.

Old
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
That's from this season, yes?

Semin was hot for a month and a half which skews those #s.

The PP was top 3 the last 2 years and primarily because Ovy, Green and Backstrom.
So it should have been fine when he cooled off and then got hurt right? Like I said coincidence...

Old
02-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Hasn't missed a game. Not bad for a flighty sullen lazy waste of cap space. Sure, his critics can point out that he didnt score against Montreal. But he sure as hell tried, and the revolving door at center may have been a factor. Why some of you choose to obsess over his regular season play and ignore his playoff game, is mind boggling. The dude flat out steps up when the games count. The regular season is for entertainment purposes only. Learn it, know it, be it.
Semin has no goals and 8 assists in his last 14 playoff games. Of course, that's probably considered stepping up now that the team's expectations have moved from contending with elite to being mediocre is fine as long as it's Bruce.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:27 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

If you watch Alexander Semin and believe he plays a winning brand of hockey then I don't know what to tell you.

You're going to be disappointed when they flame out and he's either traded or goes home to Russia.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:39 PM
EroCaps

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2011/02/...ub-part-i.html

Old
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
txpd

730a practices. this stuff is funny.

Old
02-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
It's odd that Perreault would write this stuff...

Old
02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
It's odd that Perreault would write this stuff...

Old
02-15-2011, 02:59 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
730a practices. this stuff is funny.
5:30 if they get busted having a nite out.

No..I see no problem with this "boot camp" mentality..other than the fact it will cause an all out revolt and free fall for the team.

This isn't the NFL where players can be cut so easily. Even then attempts to do this in the past (Marty's first year with Skins) end up failing if too dramatic.

Maybe in the offseason you can bring on a different kind of change suggested in the article but nothing close to that.

I'm sure the author was being sarcastic (obviously) but changing a culture will not happen overnite and not when players have guaranteed contracts thus in a way holding more power over the coach.

Old
02-15-2011, 03:06 PM
txpd

this is just pound of flesh stuff.

Old
02-15-2011, 03:58 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is just pound of flesh stuff.
Some is, some isn't. The point is valid and so obvious it's banal at this point.

Old
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Why even bring up early morning practice when Bruce doesn't have the balls to make practices mandatory most of the time.

Old
02-15-2011, 05:26 PM
sk84fun_dc

In case some don't read the Hershey thread, Patrick McNeill not playing for Hershey tonight. Not officially recalled by Washington, yet, so recall will either be announced this evening or in the morning.

Old
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Mark French talks of Patrick McNeill's first NHL call-up tonight during the pregame show. Congrats to P-Mac, hope he gets in the lineup.
Correct.

Old
02-15-2011, 05:28 PM
dashtary*

I read Walton's first comment as if he was being traded lol Woops...

Old
02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
If you watch Alexander Semin and believe he plays a winning brand of hockey then I don't know what to tell you.

You're going to be disappointed when they flame out and he's either traded or goes home to Russia.
we will just see what we see then.

If he goes to Russia, so be it. Capitalism is now in his blood being in the US all these years. Wouldn't you ever want to go back to where you live, and be closer to your family and friends? Same money....

Peace.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old
02-15-2011, 06:11 PM
txpd

great that patty mcneill is going to get his shot. not so good as it means that green is apparantly damaged more than hoped. inner ear or concussion. either way not a very good sign for the team.

Old
02-15-2011, 06:33 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

I am thrilled we recalled the kid. Seeing new blood makes these lame duck games a lot more interesting. I hope he gets some PP time too. Poti out Green out, we need some O from the backend. Lord knows the front aint got squat lately.

Talent Analysis per http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/patrick_mcneill

Quote:
McNeill is an offense-first defenseman in an organization that likes to feature the backline in the attack. McNeill's mobility and puck movement skills are the strength of his game He does not play a particularly physical type of game but relies on positioning to prevent scoring opportunities. McNeill has a good shot and was one of the top power play quarterbacks in the junior ranks. He is very elusive and has terrific one-on-one ability. McNeill, despite his offensive ability, is sometimes a liability in his own end. He at times takes obstruction penalties after being beaten by opposition forwards due to improper positioning. He has improved in making the transition from attack to defense, but this is still a developing area of his game.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-15-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
sk84fun_dc

McNeill recall is official

Old
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
McNeill recall is official
You were all over a recall coming last night. I have been wanting to see him since last year.

Poor Collins.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
You were all over a recall coming last night. I have been wanting to see him since last year.

Poor Collins.
Well it was obvious, which makes me wonder why it appears they waited so late in the day to make the decision. Reports are he didn't fly out of Norfolk until late, but more than that, Godfrey wasn't called up to Hershey until late too given his flight was supposed to land around 6:20 and he ended up not making it in time and is now watching as a healthy scratch while Hershey has 5D and 13F dressed and SC is missing Godfrey for their game tonight.

I understand wanting to see how Green was but they should have looked at the simple facts, they play back to back, Green was questionable and they had a roster slot open.

Old
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
sk84fun_dc

Doubt anyone needs a reminder about the Caps 2005 draft class, but if McNeill plays, it will be the first non-preseason NHL minutes played by a Caps '05 pick in a Caps jersey

Machesney dressed as a back-up and Kennedy's minutes were for Buffalo...after being drafted, he was traded for an 06 pick, which was used to select 06 pick Perreault

Old
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Any Hershers have any insight on what to expect from McNeill, hook us up. Or is the talent analysis pretty much spot on?

That 2005 draft class had to be before George expanded his scouting team.

Old
02-15-2011, 08:23 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Any Hershers have any insight on what to expect from McNeill, hook us up. Or is the talent analysis pretty much spot on?

That 2005 draft class had to be before George expanded his scouting team.
Along with the issues with the individual players selected, there are also the issues with the changes from pre-lockout to post-lockout NHL.

a hersher???

His role has grown every year in terms of minutes and special teams play, but he still doesn't see a ton of time on the PP with the other D in Hershey from what I have seen, but he does get some time. Different story when he was SC and in juniors as he was a primary cog on the PP. He's not big and looks smaller than his listed size, IMO, but he is a sound positional dman. He has played steady D for Hershey this season in the games I have seen. If he does get in a game it's definitely going to be a jump for him since he didn't even get to play in any preseason NHL games this season and I believe has only played in 1 or 2 (ok Vogel's blog piece indicates it was only 1.) He did take some poorly timed penalties of the type described earlier (in that RH posted description) in his pro career, but I wouldn't describe his play this season or last in that manner. just one opinion

Addn: And he can move the puck, make a first pass.

Vogel's blog entry on McNeill's recall link

Reading that it sounds like it is precautionary with the back to backs on the west coast. I hope they dress him for at least one of the games with the back to backs.

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 02-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old
02-15-2011, 08:40 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Ok.... Hershey Goers, or Hershey'ers, I figured what the heck, lets try Hershers.

Great thanks Sk8, its great to get to get insight of prospects from people I know and trust. I will lower my expectation bar on the PP time I was hopeful to see. I always think, you have to use guys to their strengths. Seeing how long it took Carlson to get a sniff on the PP, I probably shouldnt expect to see Pat get any PP time this entire year. Not that he could screw it up though... just sayin'.

Closed Thread