HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Toronto - Edmonton

Old
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
Hey guy just thought of a trade possibly between Toronto/Edmonton.. I really don't know if it would work for Edmonton but feel free to offer your opinions..

TO TORONTO
Dustin Penner

TO EDMONTON
Kris Versteeg
Francois Beauchemin

Let me know and try not to be too harsh
So is the whole idea now is for Leafs fans to keep offering Versteeg and Beauchemin to every team's fans?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
I could see the Oilers taking a guy like Beauchemin, but certainly not for Penner, and it's unlikely with Burke as the Leafs GM. Schenn is about all the Oilers would want from the Leafs, so maybe Penner and a 2nd for Schenn, something like that.
Penner is not worth Schenn.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
And with Versteeg on pace for 57 points (Less than 1/2 on the PP) he's going to be tossed down to the 3rd line. Doesn't that make this proposal seem even more bogus from Edmonton's POV?
He's already on the third line by default. Don't think because someone is on the third line though that there automatically not going to produce points. Versteeg is one of our top two-way players and has found good chemistry with Armstrong/Boyce.. It's not because hes playing bad its just can't afford to have a soft as butter line like Versteeg/Bozak/Kessel. Versteeg plays big-time PP minutes with Kaberle on the point so I don't see where your coming from? I'm not saying he'd be a good fit in Edmonton, the point I am making is that just because hes on our 3rd line by default doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good top 2 line guy on another team.

Kris Versteeg has a good skill-set overall the problem is we have too many players on our team that are too comparable. The Leafs are in need of a power forward and with Kadri coming up next season Versteeg could become expendable. Make no mistake though I would only trade him out of pure need of a different type of skillset

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:58 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Penner is not worth Schenn.
Can you read? The proposal was Penner and a 2nd for Schenn. And that's probably the only deal that would interest Edmonton, although i would think really hard if it was Beauchemin, a 2nd and a prospect like Keith Aulie for Penner. The fact is that Beachemin isn't exactly what the Oilers are looking for, we need a top pairing guy to play with Whitney, a shut down guy like Schenn, not a tweener, good at everything great at nothing type guy like Beauchemin.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
RogerRoeper*

Penner: age 28, 39 12 15 27

Versteeg:Age 24 38 11 16 27

Yet, Versteeg+Beauchemin is a joke?

Old
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Can you read? The proposal was Penner and a 2nd for Schenn. And that's probably the only deal that would interest Edmonton, although i would think really hard if it was Beauchemin, a 2nd and a prospect like Keith Aulie for Penner. The fact is that Beachemin isn't exactly what the Oilers are looking for, we need a top pairing guy to play with Whitney, a shut down guy like Schenn, not a tweener, good at everything great at nothing type guy like Beauchemin.
A second doesn't change the deal.

Old
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
Beauchemin + Versteeg for Penner try that.. Again I'm not too sure how Edmonton values Penner
Beauchemin has - value in a deal like this to EDM. We don't want him and we aren't trading Penner for Versteeg..

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:26 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Beauchemin has - value in a deal like this to EDM. We don't want him and we aren't trading Penner for Versteeg..
Why wouldn't you want Beauch? He is what we need on our 2nd pairing.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
rockinghockey

Edm has no need for Versteeg our Beauch. We are rebuilding and neither of them add anything. We have more need for Penner than those two. You want Penner how about.

How about Ross and Aulie those are the only two that I would be interested in from TO.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Edm has no need for Versteeg our Beauch. We are rebuilding and neither of them add anything. We have more need for Penner than those two. You want Penner how about.

How about Ross and Aulie those are the only two that I would be interested in from TO.
Beauchemin is expendable because of young guys like Aulie, Holzer and Mikus.. Fat chance Leafs move Brad Ross hes hyped up to be our next Darcy Tucker

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!

Quote:
Beauchemin is expendable because of young guys like Aulie, Holzer and Mikus.. Fat chance Leafs move Brad Ross hes hyped up to be our next Darcy Tucker
So he is going to count $1M against the cap and not play for Toronto?

Since when did the next Darcy Tucker become untouchable?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:15 PM
zeus3007*

I think that Oil fans are being a bit hard on Beauch here. We could definetely use him on our second defense unit, the problem is that we aren't moving Penner for a second pair d-man, unless that d-man has the potential to move to the top pair. Beauchemin doesn't have that potential.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
A second doesn't change the deal.
An early second adds a lot of value. I'm not saying its enough, lord knows Burke won't trade Schenn right now, but there is value in that offer. Just not for an untouchable.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:18 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
I think that Oil fans are being a bit hard on Beauch here. We could definetely use him on our second defense unit, the problem is that we aren't moving Penner for a second pair d-man, unless that d-man has the potential to move to the top pair. Beauchemin doesn't have that potential.
To me it Versteeg is the kicker. If you can get a 1st out of Versteeg or a decent prospect then why not do it? The odds of getting much more for Penner are slim to none. Although you don't have to move him.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
To me it Versteeg is the kicker. If you can get a 1st out of Versteeg or a decent prospect then why not do it? The odds of getting much more for Penner are slim to none. Although you don't have to move him.
I don't think you could get a first out of Versteeg. And we don't need him on our roster. Penner has more value to the Oilers than the Beauchemin/Versteeg combo would bring I think.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
So he is going to count $1M against the cap and not play for Toronto?

Since when did the next Darcy Tucker become untouchable?
Darcy Tucker in his prime was the best pest in hockey. It's really difficult to find players like that.

Old
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Leafed

Quote:
Beauchemin plays on the top pair for the Leafs

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Kaberle - Schenn
Gunnarsson - Komisarek

Lebda - Aulie

Leafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Luke View Post
Beauchemin plays on the top pair for the Leafs

Beauchemin - Phaneuf
Kaberle - Schenn
Gunnarsson - Komisarek

Lebda - Aulie
Good for him. On paper him and Phaneuf are the top pair, but everyone knows that Kaberle and Schenn is the stronger pair. Beauchemin has made a career of being the lesser d-man of a pair, and being overrated because of it. Why do you think he slumped after Pronger left Aneheim? He leeches off of better players. Not to say that he is bad, he is a legitimate top 4 d-man, but not a top pair guy.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:04 PM
mcinnesja

Quote:
Good for him. On paper him and Phaneuf are the top pair, but everyone knows that Kaberle and Schenn is the stronger pair. Beauchemin has made a career of being the lesser d-man of a pair, and being overrated because of it. Why do you think he slumped after Pronger left Aneheim? He leeches off of better players. Not to say that he is bad, he is a legitimate top 4 d-man, but not a top pair guy.
They may not be the strongest paring IMO at times, and yours but not in Wilsons eyes.

Beauch is also almost always out agains the top lines of other teams.......

Beauch leads the leafs in ice time in every catagory but PP

Beauch: 39 gp, 19:29 EV TOI/G, 2:40 SH TOI/G, 1:54 PP TOI/G, 24:04 TOI/G

Kabby: 39 gp, 18:02 EV TOI/G, 0:18 SH TOI/G, 4:41 PP TOI/G, 23:02 TOI/G

Schenn: 39 gp, 18:42 Ev TOI/G, 2:33 SH TOI/G, 1:03 PP TOI/G 22:20 TOI/G

Phaneuf: 23 gp, 17:54 EV TOI/G, 1:38 SH TOI/G, 3:33 PP TOI/G, 23:06 TOI/G

mcinnesja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
leafempire187

counter
Penner to Leafs

Gunnarson+D'Amigo+Holzer to Oilers

Gunnarson played great last year for the leafs but with a log jam in defence he only plays 60% of the time (you can have komi instead if you want)

D'Amigo i have mixed feelings about but with such stacked future of young oilers he wouldnt need to be a superstar and could still contribute for the team in the future

Holzer 6'3 D-man was called up once this year and didnt look out of place at all

if this isnt going to land Penner then im not interested in him

leafempire187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinnesja View Post
They may not be the strongest paring IMO at times, and yours but not in Wilsons eyes.

Beauch is also almost always out agains the top lines of other teams.......

Beauch leads the leafs in ice time in every catagory but PP

Beauch: 39 gp, 19:29 EV TOI/G, 2:40 SH TOI/G, 1:54 PP TOI/G, 24:04 TOI/G

Kabby: 39 gp, 18:02 EV TOI/G, 0:18 SH TOI/G, 4:41 PP TOI/G, 23:02 TOI/G

Schenn: 39 gp, 18:42 Ev TOI/G, 2:33 SH TOI/G, 1:03 PP TOI/G 22:20 TOI/G

Phaneuf: 23 gp, 17:54 EV TOI/G, 1:38 SH TOI/G, 3:33 PP TOI/G, 23:06 TOI/G
A guy being on the ice a lot on a bad team isn't really a positive, when that team is supposed to be very good defensively but is not. Beauchemin is a decent enough d-man, but I stand by my opinion that he is a second pairing guy, a "good at everything but great at nothing" type d-man. That's not what we need for Penner. Think more of a hitter, a shut down guy, preferably one who is younger. Wait, that Schenn, lol.

Old
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Since Penner has become a lot better and more consistent, I think he would. Not for any deal with Versteeg though. Beauchemin might be a starting point, but no to Versteeg.
Then you really don't understand Brian Burke. This is a guy that is stubborn as a mule, and makes up ridiculous rules and standards that he persoanally wants to obey even if it costs his team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
This isn't the first thread you've mentioned this. You obviously completely ignored what was said in response to you from another person last time around.

Penner had nothing to do with the drama of his contract. He didn't want to go to Edmonton. He was hoping/expecting that Burke would match the offer.

If anything, it just shows Burke's loyalty to players he believes in. With the contracts they had flying around in Anaheim, he wasn't able to match that offer and stick under the salary cap. He was frustrated and pissed off with Edmonton's management(Lowe) for putting him in the situation in the first place.
Penner had everything to do with the drama of his contract. He wanted to put the squeeze on Burke and therefore signed the offer sheet go to Edmonton.

Furthermore, Burke is one of the most stubborn GMs in the league. This is a guy who doesn't use Toronto's financial pull to sign long term deals because "he doesn't think they are fair". He doesn't ask players to waive NTCs because he thinks it'll make all the difference when he wants to sign more free agents. He traded a 2 firsts and a 2nd for Kessel when he could've offer sheeted him for 1 + 2 + 3, just so the rest of the league would know that he doesn't like offer sheets. He decided not to top 3 protect his draft picks that he traded because it doesn't send the right message to his team.

When a guy like him spends a year saying how overpaid that player was on that current contract, there is zero chance he trades for that player under that same contract.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafempire187 View Post
counter
Penner to Leafs

Gunnarson played great last year for the leafs but with a log jam in defence he only plays 60% of the time (you can have komi instead if you want)

D'Amigo i have mixed feelings about but with such stacked future of young oilers he wouldnt need to be a superstar and could still contribute for the team in the future

Holzer 6'3 D-man was called up once this year and didnt look out of place at all

top forward for three guys who can't make the Oilers.

great deal!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:53 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafempire187 View Post
counter
Penner to Leafs

The Oil have a number of bottom pair d-men already. And small forwards. So Gunnar isn't really needed, neither is D'Amigo. I honestly know nothing of Holzer, so I won't comment there.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
The Oil have a number of bottom pair d-men already. And small forwards. So Gunnar isn't really needed, neither is D'Amigo. I honestly know nothing of Holzer, so I won't comment there.
Holzer is another potential bottom pair guy with an outside chance at #4 upside.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote