HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Ex-Habs Thread Part II(All Former Habs Players Discussed Here!)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Meh...that's great. He helped the Habs advance to the 2nd round a few times. In the grand scheme of things, I don't put too much stock in 1st round series accomplishments. They mean what they mean (not much).

Domenic Moore scored the 2 GWG last year vs. the Caps and Pens...doesn't mean I picketed outside the Bell center when he wasn't retained.

I don't know if it an age thing...but it doesn't take much for Habs fans to find a hero these days.
I'm not saying Kovy was great everytime he was on the ice with a Habs jersey but you have to admit that in 07-08 he was our best player all year long ( regular season and playoff) .You can't compare that with Moore.

Old
04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai Akatsume Ryu View Post
I wouldn't demote anybody on the Top-6.

Plek-Cam-AK
Gom-Gio-Paccio is a lock for the top-6 IMO.

Bottom 6 is where I see him play:

Pou-DD-Kovy(Moen)
Moen(Kovy)-Eller-Pyatt(White-Darche)

We already have many "utility players", we need more offensive spark plugs with certain physical caracteristics. Kovy is not the toughest player out there, but he certainly could play a 3rd line / puck cycling / control / offensive creativity on this team, I believe.
He could, but whether his ego would allow him to play a 3rd line role is a different story. We've seen in the past that Kovy is at his best when he's "The Man". I just don't see him adjusting well to a secondary scoring option.

Old
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I'm not saying Kovy was great everytime he was on the ice with a Habs jersey but you have to admit that in 07-08 he was our best player all year long ( regular season and playoff) .You can't compare that with Moore.
Arguable...Andrei Markov played as big a role as well. But yes, I acknowledge that he was HUGE in 07-08. But ultimately, the Habs didn't accomplish much that year, they lost in the 2nd round...so while he did have a great year, in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really register with me personally.

So yeah, great regular season...that's about it

Old
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
He had one excellent year sandwhiched in between 3 bad to mediocre years. Yes, it was a great season (the one he finished with 84pts) but overall, he was way overrated as a Hab and continues to be to this day.

He's just not a very good hockey player anymore...he still got alot of skill, but can't contribute in a team environment anymore IMO. More style than substance
65pts in 69 games is bad or mediocre ? 7pts in 6 po games ?

His last year, he also scored 65 pts...

He made 4,5 millions a year... I'd say that by this year lineup's standards... he was excellent in these 3 years...

But I would say he had one fantastic season, one very good one, one solid and one very bad.

At 4,5mil/year, it was a great return on dollars invested.

But, of course, he was a very frustrating player to watch, still, he gave a lot more to the team than Cammy, Gio and that 7,3mil dude did in 2 years so far.

If Kovalev is overrated, what are Gionta (5mil / 46pts both seasons), Cammy (6mil / 50pts, 47pts) and Gomez (7,3mil / 59pts and 38 pts) are ?

Old
04-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
65pts in 69 games is bad or mediocre ? 7pts in 6 po games ?

His last year, he also scored 65 pts...

He made 4,5 millions a year... I'd say that by this year lineup's standards... he was excellent in these 3 years...

But I would say he had one fantastic season, one very good one, one solid and one very bad.

At 4,5mil/year, it was a great return on dollars invested.

But, of course, he was a very frustrating player to watch, still, he gave a lot more to the team than Cammy, Gio and that 7,3mil dude did in 2 years so far.

If Kovalev is overrated, what are Gionta (5mil / 46pts both seasons), Cammy (6mil / 50pts, 47pts) and Gomez (7,3mil / 59pts and 38 pts) are ?
I'm not going to get into a semantics debate with you...mediocre/average/good, use whatever word you like best.

Regardless...this is a guy who once, was SENT HOME FOR 3 DAYS because he wouldn't perform to the level of his ability, i've NEVER heard of any team sending a player home for that reason. Another time, Bob Gainey had to take him aside and take a walk with him in the old port to beg him to play to the level of his talent.

Kovalev had alot of great moments with the Habs...but he had alot of controversy and alot of underachieving also.

As for Kovalev or Gionta/Cammy/Gomez...

I'd take Gionta/Cammy over Kovalev anyday of the week...as for Gomez, he may not put up the points, but I don't think effort or his 'care factor' are in question here...it's just a question of ability.

With Kovalev, he had all the talent in the world and was/is adored by Habs fans as though he was a modern day Guy Lafleur and all he could do was perform to the level of his ability ONCE in 4.5 years. With the amount of freedom that guy had on the ice throughout his tenure here, I personally expected more.

So again, good player while he was in Montreal...and had an excellent year. But nothing out of the extraordinary. Hell, Mark Recchi had seasons of 78-80-74 points while with the Habs and people barely remembered he played there.

Again, Kovalev was good in Montreal...but his folk-like status is over the top IMO.

Old
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a semantics debate with you...mediocre/average/good, use whatever word you like best.

Regardless...this is a guy who once, was SENT HOME FOR 3 DAYS because he wouldn't perform to the level of his ability, i've NEVER heard of any team sending a player home for that reason. Another time, Bob Gainey had to take him aside and take a walk with him in the old port to beg him to play to the level of his talent.

Kovalev had alot of great moments with the Habs...but he had alot of controversy and alot of underachieving also.

As for Kovalev or Gionta/Cammy/Gomez...

I'd take Gionta/Cammy over Kovalev anyday of the week...as for Gomez, he may not put up the points, but I don't think effort or his 'care factor' are in question here...it's just a question of ability.

With Kovalev, he had all the talent in the world and was/is adored by Habs fans as though he was a modern day Guy Lafleur and all he could do was perform to the level of his ability ONCE in 4.5 years. With the amount of freedom that guy had on the ice throughout his tenure here, I personally expected more.

So again, good player while he was in Montreal...and had an excellent year. But nothing out of the extraordinary. Hell, Mark Recchi had seasons of 78-80-74 points while with the Habs and people barely remembered he played there.

Again, Kovalev was good in Montreal...but his folk-like status is over the top IMO.
PK spent time in the press box this year... does that mean he had a bad season ?

Gainey... the guy supposedly begging, actually offered Kovalev a contract two summers ago... I guess he didn't think it was the end of the world ???

There are as many fans thinking he was the second coming of Lafleur as there are fans like you who think he was almost a disgrace to the team and was mediocre (btw, you are the one who started with the semantics) in his tenure with the team.

What I'm saying is that Kovalev was one of the best forward we had in the last 15 years or so. That he didn't have only 1 good season... but yes, he was frustrating to watch. Yet, at his salary, when you look around the league, there aren't too many players given more than what Kovalev gave to the team.

Plus he was GREAT with the fans, you can't say the opposite.

Like you, I don't know why people would want him back... but stop re-writing history and say he was bad to mediocre as a member of the habs.

Old
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Pouliot - Gomez - Kovalev
3 lazy players on one line.
after something doesn't go right for them it's all down hil from there

Old
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 200
I like kovalev but i would never take him back for 5M.
only way i take him is that
he signs cheep no more then 2M
and he accepts a 3rd line role-i don't want to see another Sergei Samsonov

Old
04-17-2011, 01:29 PM
LouisJCloutier

So Mr.Laraque did Martin's really lost is locker room ?

I would really like to hear what Georges Laraque has to say about the Habs right now. He said a couple of weeks ago that we was well informed by insiders from the habs locker room that Martin had lost the confidence of his players.

So i'm very curious to know what that insiders as to say right now. Is that really a team that doesn't want to play for his coach ?

Georges Laraque is a *********g clown.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:33 PM
usernam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
I would really like to hear what Georges Laraque has to say about the Habs right now.
I don't.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:36 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i does make wonder. i is want knowing.

Old
04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Markovskaya

Has anyone really been as far as even decided to look more like ?

Old
04-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMo316 View Post
I don't.
It would be funny though!

Old
04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
bigdan2002

I can't stand Laraque. We never win a playoff match with him on the team and since he's gone Habs are on their way of winning a 3rd series in 1 playoff and one round. Martin is doing a hell of a job and I don't think players could have lost confidence in a coach who bring that kind of team as far as he did.

Old
04-17-2011, 02:47 PM
shutehinside

I knew then that he was just trying to stir up crap. Now it seems to be on his face.

Old
04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
According to my avatar, yes he did.

Old
04-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Kboum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
According to my avatar, yes he did.
haha this made me laugh great one

Old
04-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I would really like to hear what Georges Laraque has to say about the Habs right now. He said a couple of weeks ago that we was well informed by insiders from the habs locker room that Martin had lost the confidence of his players.

So i'm very curious to know what that insiders as to say right now. Is that really a team that doesn't want to play for his coach ?

See, while I or anybody here know a thing about what Laraque knows or doesn't know, I just want to say that it wouldn't be the first time that a team wins without wanting to play for their coach. Some players hated Bowman and still won. In 1986, the "strong rumor" is that most people hated Perron and took it on themselves to play even though they had that guy coaching them etc....So it's pretty tough to judge if players are playing for that coach or not because they are indeed winning. Surely, he has a good plan right now and they apply it well.

Also...at the time....nothing suggested that it wasn't true. But it's also possible that Laraque made a news out of something that wasn't. Not the first time that players don't like the coach....and then what? Who cares.

So Laraque said it, I HATED his stint with us, but it doesn't mean he's automatically a liar and isn't worth anything because I might have an opinion we don't share...

He has his right to say whatever...we have our right to believe whatever. Thing is, it's pretty tough to follow around here. We're being continuously bashed for not being close to the team, for not being professionnals etc...and yet when those professionnals are speaking up, if we don't agree with them, they are just as ignorant as we are?

Old
04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

Yesterday Tony Marinaro said that while it was true that some players on the Habs were frustrated by Martin's coaching style and his stubborn attitude towards staying on the game plan, they also understand that during the playoffs his style works, and he has their RESPECT. The team as a whole is on board. This is always how I thought things were in reality.

On the other hand, apparently the Boston room is not in good shape. There is a big split there and a lot of frustration. I said from the moment they made all those big deadline acquisitions that it was a mistake. Adding too many new faces to the locker room at the end of the season backfires more often than not, especially when the internal leadership of the team is weak to begin with.

I honestly feel that a lot of the guys on that team don't like what Chara did to Patch. They won't say it out loud, but I'm betting that's what it is. You can disagree, but Boston is not playing like a team that has everyone on board.

If Montreal manages to win this series, it's going to be very interesting to see what happens in Boston. They just re-signed Chara to a massive contract, and other members of their core are also signed long term. I'm not convinced it's only a coaching issue over there.

waffledave
Old
04-17-2011, 03:33 PM
googlymoogly

Anybody have Laraque's fax number?

I've got a message

Hey Laraque it's Looch, is it true the Hab players don't like their coach? If it's true they are making me look as bad on the ice as you were.
Talk to you soon, maybe we can play a round of golf but I'm still not fighting you.

Signed the Looch

Last edited by googlymoogly: 04-17-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old
04-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

I've got a message

Hey Laraque it's Looch, is it true the Hab players don't like their coach? If it's true they are making me look as bad on the ice as you were.
Talk to you soon, maybe we can play a round of golf but I'm still not fighting you.

Signed to Looch
Not his fax, but you can send that love letter to his Parti Vert email

http://greenparty.ca/fr/contact/council

Old
04-17-2011, 05:36 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post

I've got a message

Signed the Looch
Come on, everyone knows Lucic can't write. He doesn't have opposable thumbs yet...How can he hold a pen?

Old
04-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Sergei interview

look more mature

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/59..._4-18-2011.mp3

Old
04-20-2011, 04:20 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
Good for him. Too bad he couldn't get his act together in Montreal... Could've been a hell of a player for us.

04-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Good for him. Too bad he couldn't get his act together in Montreal... Could've been a hell of a player for us.
Let's not go there again...

Closed Thread