R. Regehr J. Bouwmeester

M. Giordano C. Sarich

A. Pardy A. Babchuk

The Goalies

M. Kiprusoff

H. Karlsson

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1AMvWRwNS

GO FLAMES!

Last edited by StreakingRed: 01-07-2011 at 11:52 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
The Lines

T. Kostopoulos M. Backlund T. Jackman
Every game that goes by I hate Brent Sutter a little more. He has ruined this kids confidence. What a joke...

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Triple Deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
Every game that goes by I hate Brent Sutter a little more. He has ruined this kids confidence. What a joke...
In Sutter's defense, the 4th line has been the only line scoring for the Flames.
I just hope they play more than 8 minutes.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:01 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Going to the game, hoping for a solid effort. Not expecting much though.

GO FLAMES GO?

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 01:17 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Deke View Post
In Sutter's defense, the 4th line has been the only line scoring for the Flames.
I just hope they play more than 8 minutes.
It just pisses me off that he sat for a number of games, wasting his time in the pressbox. Then finally they decide to send him down to get some minutes with the heat. But no the recall him after one game and he plays better then any forward against Vancouver. Now they plug him on the 4th line.

I saw his interview with Millions the other night and he was clearly not happy with his current situation. The kid always had a smile on his face and now he just looks like a shell of his former self. I can just see this organization ruining his development by the end of the year. After last games performance he should be in the top six, and imo playing with iggy.

I also hate how people justify the jokinen signing by saying that he was all that was available. By that logic if a gorcery store only had a ******, rotton selection of fruit then the customers should still buy it. I just cannot believe it!

/rant

Old
01-07-2011, 02:17 PM
GototheFlamestotheGo

I'm 100% with you, Gnome!

Backs was the best forward last game and instead of trying him on a scoring line, he's asked to be a plugger. Yes he plays with energy and is unafraid to go into the tough areas. But that coupled with his skill and hockey sense is perfect as a top 6 center!

What bugs me is that he isn't even being given a chance on a line with Iggy and Tangs. Backs skates well, he's almost always in good position and is solid defensively. Where's the risk with trying him on the top line?

And don't give me that BS about "Oh, playing against the top players of the opposition will ruin his confidence". Excuse me but playing on a 4th line or sitting in the pressbox will ruin one's confidence far more!

The sooner Brent Sutter leaves this organization, the better.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:26 PM
getoverit

Dont necessarily agree, I do believe though that he shouldnt have sat as long as he did. At some point he needs to start to produce and he hasnt done that this year (yet). His defensive game has gotten allot better. Im still high on him, damn we need to be cause we dont have a whole lot on the farm

Pretty sad when your 4th line is the only line that shines. No idea why Bourque hasnt sat yet???? Hell half the team should sit out and bring the boys up from the farm. Bet we would still loose but it would be more exciting hockey than we are seeing now. Sure we get 40 shots, how many actually scoring opportunities And Sutter, we cant play every fricken game 1-0 as to what you eluded to after the Canucks game, give me a break.

ok nuff spewing, just frustrated like the rest. God I hope feaster doesnt end up being the GM in charge or were screwedddddddd.
So question is what is the goal differential tonight, cause we aint winning this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GototheFlamestotheGo View Post

Backs was the best forward last game and instead of trying him on a scoring line, he's asked to be a plugger. Yes he plays with energy and is unafraid to go into the tough areas. But that coupled with his skill and hockey sense is perfect as a top 6 center!

What bugs me is that he isn't even being given a chance on a line with Iggy and Tangs. Backs skates well, he's almost always in good position and is solid defensively. Where's the risk with trying him on the top line?

And don't give me that BS about "Oh, playing against the top players of the opposition will ruin his confidence". Excuse me but playing on a 4th line or sitting in the pressbox will ruin one's confidence far more!

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
After last games performance he should be in the top six, and imo playing with iggy.

I also hate how people justify the jokinen signing by saying that he was all that was available.
Quote:

Awesome posts, both deserve a thank you.

I won't complain about Jokinen too much, he's bugged me but if he ends the season with more than 45 points he still wouldn't be among the worst contracts on the team. Backlund better be playing with Jackman because he's hot and not because Sutter needed a place to put him.

This team is still one Sutter too many.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:35 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
No idea why Bourque hasnt sat yet???? Hell half the team should sit out and bring the boys up from the farm...

And Sutter, we cant play every fricken game 1-0 as to what you eluded to after the Canucks game, give me a break.
That's the problem, who, besides Iginla, Tanguay, Bouwmeester and Giordano hasn't deserved to get benched at some point this season?

I heard Sutter single out Kipprusoff, the team's defense and goaltending (18th in GA) hasn't been ideal this season but the almost exclusive blame on that problem and not special teams (24thPK, 25thPP) or offense(22nd in GF) is a joke.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Areid1990

Go Team Go!...

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Triple Deke

Quote:
It just pisses me off that he sat for a number of games, wasting his time in the pressbox. Then finally they decide to send him down to get some minutes with the heat. But no the recall him after one game and he plays better then any forward against Vancouver. Now they plug him on the 4th line.

I saw his interview with Millions the other night and he was clearly not happy with his current situation. The kid always had a smile on his face and now he just looks like a shell of his former self. I can just see this organization ruining his development by the end of the year. After last games performance he should be in the top six, and imo playing with iggy.
I agree Backlund deserves a shot with Tangs + Iggy. Olli has really cooled that line down. However, it doesn't hurt to have Backlund skate with the only productive line right now. Again, I hope they get decent TOI. Maybe Backlund will get some PP time with the top line (sans Olli).

It's a lot better than having him skate with our 2nd/3rd lines.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 375
Quote:

While I do agree with the last sentence of your post, the line of Kostopoulos / Backlund / Jackman is made up of the players currently playing the best for Calgary. If this continues they should be given premium ice time.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:15 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
While I do agree with the last sentence of your post, the line of Kostopoulos / Backlund / Jackman is made up of the players currently playing the best for Calgary. If this continues they should be given premium ice time.
It's still stupid reasoning from the coaching staff.

Backlund should get a legit chance to play top PP minutes and 1st line minutes with our best offensive players (Iggy, Tangs). And not for a 1 period and then shuffled back to the 3rd/4th line. How can they evaluate a lines chemistry if they don't even give it time to develop.

There needs to be a player shake-up for sure, and I used to be a big B. Sutter fan. But this coaching staff is wearing my patience thin. It's like playing beer league hockey and the team captain is throwing out lines at random.

I'm all for giving Jackman more ice, but if your best players are not going how does the team expect to win...ever? It's nice to reward guys who deserve it, but the more pressing issue that should be addressed is find a top line that clicks and pulling guys like Bourque out of their slump.

Think about how stupid this statment seems. "Kosto, Jackman, and Backlund are playing the best right now so lets just throw them on a line and everything else will just work itself out". That is ****ing retarded.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:

I also hate how people justify the jokinen signing by saying that he was all that was available. By that logic if a gorcery store only had a ******, rotton selection of fruit then the customers should still buy it. I just cannot believe it!

/rant
This is EXACTLY how I feel about Backlund. If he is not going to playing on the top 2 lines this year, then send the damn kid down to the Heat so he can develop. Play him in the role he was drafted for. It is a joke though, Stajan is absolutely useless, I dislike him more and more every game. He only gets points IF he is playing on the top line with Iggy and Tangs. Backlund already overall is better than Stajan. I like B. Sutter and his coaching style, but how he decides who plays where and with who is mind boggling. How in hell do you reward Backlund's great effort by playing him on your 4th line? The Flames are famous for screwing up how they develop kids and ruin their careers, if this keeps up Backlund will be no exception. Why is it every other team in the NHL gives important roles to their 1st and 2nd year players, but the Flames are to scared to? Even though the 4th line is going good right now, they will not keep up that pace. Play the dam kid with Iggy or Tangs, or with Bourque and send Stajan's a** down to the 4th.

As for the game, Flames lose 4-2.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 03:29 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
This is EXACTLY how I feel about Backlund. If he is not going to playing on the top 2 lines this year, then send the damn kid down to the Heat so he can develop. Play him in the role he was drafted for. It is a joke though, Stajan is absolutely useless, I dislike him more and more every game. He only gets points IF he is playing on the top line with Iggy and Tangs. Backlund already overall is better than Stajan. I like B. Sutter and his coaching style, but how he decides who plays where and with who is mind boggling. How in hell do you reward Backlund's great effort by playing him on your 4th line? The Flames are famous for screwing up how they develop kids and ruin their careers, if this keeps up Backlund will be no exception. Why is it every other team in the NHL gives important roles to their 1st and 2nd year players, but the Flames are to scared to? Even though the 4th line is going good right now, they will not keep up that pace. Play the dam kid with Iggy or Tangs, or with Bourque and send Stajan's a** down to the 4th.

As for the game, Flames lose 4-2.
Everything you said about stajan is exactly how I feel too. He's one of those players that will get points when playing big minutes and with a team's best players.

But there is nothing special about him. Nothing that indicates he'll win you games and be a leader in the playoffs, etc...I fully understand now what TO fans have been telling me all along. I hate having him on my team, because for his money we could have a bigger impact player.

Who would you rather have on your team Steve Ott or Matt Stajan? That comparison sums up my thoughts about Stajan perfectly. With Ott you get so much more than what the stats sheet reflects.

It's signings like these that are runing this team.

Old
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 375
Quote:
Think about how stupid this statment seems. "Kosto, Jackman, and Backlund are playing the best right now so lets just throw them on a line and everything else will just work itself out". That is ****ing retarded.
I know. Now why isn't the coaching stafff getting the most out of the other players on the team? The ones who are supposed to be the best players?

I agree that Backlund should be put out with Iginla & Tanguay for more than half of a shift. Perhaps his enthusiasm could ignite theirs? It certainly isn't the coaches igniting anything, except for the burning bridges they're leaving behind...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:42 PM
saillias

Here I'll save everyone 2.5 hours.
1) We get smoked
2) Post-game speech about buckling down defensively
3) Read more colourful articles from George Johnson in the paper tomorrow morning
4) Wait patiently for the real action to happen at trade deadline and offseason

Or result b
1) We win
2) post-game speech about "now we have to do it again."
3) Read more condescending articles from George Johnson about an ultimately futile effort and mocking the fans with playoffs hopes
4) wait for real action to happen.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
George Johnston needs a vacation either way.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:28 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

It's nice to see Moss back on the RW where he scored 20 goals not to long ago. He's on pace for 14 this year, with most of that time spent on the 4th line, so it should be interesting to see how he does on the 3rd line.

Kostop-Backlund-Jackman could be an interesting combo as well, I'm curious to see how that works out.

Also to say that Brent has "ruined Backlunds confidence" is completely ridiculous. He's failed to show that he deserves top-6 line based on his production, plain and simple. He should earn that time like any other player. I don't see how just handing over top-6 time to your top prospect regardless of production can be considered good development, what kind of message does that send to a player? Adversity, and earning your ice time, on the other hand will probably bode well for Backlund in the long run. Make him earn Stajan's position.

I'm amazed at how much discussion there's been in the last few weeks over the lack of ice time of a player that has nine points this year. I'll chalk it up to not having had a decent offensive prospect in a long time. Some of you guys are overreacting big time.

Old
01-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Datsyuk will skate right through us 6 times. 3-2 Detroit.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
Also to say that Brent has "ruined Backlunds confidence" is completely ridiculous. He's failed to show that he deserves top-6 line based on his production, plain and simple. He should earn that time like any other player. I don't see how just handing over top-6 time to your top prospect regardless of production can be considered good development, what kind of message does that send to a player? Adversity, and earning your ice time, on the other hand will probably bode well for Backlund in the long run. Make him earn Stajan's position.

I'm amazed at how much discussion there's been in the last few weeks over the lack of ice time of a player that has nine points this year. I'll chalk it up to not having had a decent offensive prospect in a long time. Some of you guys are overreacting big time.
What exactly has Stajan accomplished when not playing with Iginla or Tanguay? Oh right, absolutely nothing.

It shouldn’t take a genius to realize that it's a lot harder to pick up points when your line mates are usually some combination of Jackman, Koustoplous, Morrison, Moss and Glencross. Or when you're relegated to a checking role on an offensively challenged team with no powerplay time and constantly made aware that one mistake results in reduced ice time or a trip to press box.

No one is saying Backlund should be handed anything, just that the Flames management learn how develop players properly. How well did Stamkos do when playing 12 or less minutes a night when he first started? It's not to say Backlund and Stamkos are comparable players just that it's moronic to put offensively gifted players in a checking role and then complain when they don't put up a ton of points. There's a balance between having to earn a spot and being placed in a position to succeed. The Flames have focused far too much on the former and given far too little thought on the later. Backlund is already solid defensively, so how will keeping him on the 3rd or 4th line improve his chance at success or have him became a better player down the road? If you want him to score more, put him in a position where he can achieve that, i.e. with other offensive players.

The fact is, Backlund is probably the best offensive prospect the Flames have had in close to a decade and is slowly being turned in another checker/defensive forward. His offensive skills dictate a scoring role, and if it's not going to happen with the Flames, send him down to the Heat where he at least has a chance at developing properly.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
What exactly has Stajan accomplished when not playing with Iginla or Tanguay? Oh right, absolutely nothing.
He just set up Glencross for a goal

I completely agree with you though. It seems moronic to continually shove Backlund down onto the 3rd/4th line with grinders when he is not that type of player. Sure, if he was in the mold of Craig Conroy (ie checker) then he should be down there, or if he needed improvements on his defensive game, but he plays very good defense. I see no reason that he should be toiling down on a checkers line.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:41 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

If he was so damn gifted and deserving of that second line time he would've put up enough points with the grinders to earn that spot (more than 9... some of the grinders themselves have 9 points), plain and simple. The fact of the matter is that this year Backlund has had just as many noticeable games as he has had invisible games this year. If he can live up to his potential and play hard every game (which is probably what the coaches are trying to do by playing him with guys like Jackman) and play with consistency he will earn that spot no problem, probably by the end of the year.

The knock on him last year in Abby was that he was invisible for stretches. I'd rather get that problem ironed out now while he's young, god knows we don't need anymore inconsistent players. Putting him on the second line because he might be able to do a better job than Stajan doesn't teach that lesson. He has to earn it through his own success, not the failure of other players.

Anyone agree with me? Looks like most people don't, haha.

Old
01-07-2011, 10:04 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

**** sakes

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Baecon Pancakes