Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings 5 Flames 4 (SO)

Old
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Detroit couldn't score tonight even if they bounced it off Gio's ass... oh wait Good game for the Flames so far.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:14 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 500
Kippersive?

Whats going on tonight.

This game should not be close

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:15 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhakan View Post
Kippersive?

Whats going on tonight.

This game should not be close
They are losing games because of Kipper now

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:18 PM
lefty2time*

AHH!!
u guys lost a 2 goal lead
stupid flames..

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
If he was so damn gifted and deserving of that second line time he would've put up enough points with the grinders to earn that spot (more than 9... some of the grinders themselves have 9 points), plain and simple. The fact of the matter is that this year Backlund has had just as many noticeable games as he has had invisible games this year. If he can live up to his potential and play hard every game (which is probably what the coaches are trying to do by playing him with guys like Jackman) and play with consistency he will earn that spot no problem, probably by the end of the year.

The knock on him last year in Abby was that he was invisible for stretches. I'd rather get that problem ironed out now while he's young, god knows we don't need anymore inconsistent players. Putting him on the second line because he might be able to do a better job than Stajan doesn't teach that lesson. He has to earn it through his own success, not the failure of other players.

Anyone agree with me? Looks like most people don't, haha.
The point is the Flames do not develop the players they draft properly. The rare times they draft offensive players, they put them in checking roles when they finally get the call up. How are offensive prospects supposed to develop to their potential when they are not being used accordingly. I'll try to explain it like this, its like a Home Builder hiring an electrician and paying him to be a plumber. You may get some production, but you will not be getting top production.

It was the exact same thing with Boyd. I don't care if I'm going to get flack for this, but Boyd was a prospect that had above average skill. In his last year playing in Moose Jaw, he scored 90 points in 64 games. In his first year in Omaha, he got 60 points in 66 games. Not to dam bad if you ask me, and he had a very impressive all around game in the World Juniors. So when he finally gets called up to the big club, instead of putting him in an offensive role, the Flames burry him on the 4th line for 3 seasons. How the heck is kid supposed to learn to score in the NHL playing that kind of situation? The answer is, he can't. The few times I saw Boyd play with Iginla he did not look like a chicken with his head cut off. The way the Flames handled Boyd ruined his career IMO. Sure not all prospects pan out, but the Flames do not do them any favors either. It was a very similar situation with Lombo, but he got 3rd line time.

Now the same thing is going on with Backlund. And you say make him earn Stajan's time, what has Stajan or Jokinen done that is so special? I would guarantee that if Backlund played with Iggy and Tangs for say 15 games, he would get similar production to what Stajan was getting when he played there and in the process he would be learning what it takes to be a scorer in the NHL, because he is learning from other skilled players. What a concept hey? The Flames have no idea whatsoever on how to develop their young players, they would rather plug in old, expensive, declining vets in those positions rather than promote from within like most teams do.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:52 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

The fact Calgary lost this game is a joke.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
The team plays great and Kiprusoff puts up a stinker .

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:27 AM
MikeK

vCash: 417
Another game, another loss.. hmm

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:27 AM
StreakingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post

Yeah, definitely not a good game from Kiprusoff tonight.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
AHH!!
u guys lost a 2 goal lead
stupid flames..
dude, thats normal. If we lost a 10 goal lead then maybe that would be something to write about. But 2 goal lead... thats something Flames can erase in seconds.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:29 AM
mustange70

1.) learn to be able to KEEP a lead

2.) SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!!!

3.)Get good at the cycle.

We don't have the fancy offensive talent to skate around 5 guys and score goals, instead we'll have to beat the crap out of them and work our way to the net, make the goalie work his arse to barely get a glimpse of the puck, get shots through screens on net, just plain old out work the other team no matter how you feel.

Tonights game was a very good game, but there were at least two of the goals that kipper (and the back end to a certain extent) should not of let in, other than that total of 30 seconds of brain fart we were the better team tonight. Iggy, tangs and joker were great, worked their butts off, the entire 4th line was awesome as per usual, the 2nd line showed improvement, but still have to be better, 3rd line worked hard but weren't very noticeable.
Overall a very fun game to watch, if we can work as hard as we did tonight for the rest of the season there will be a light at the end of the tunnel, I'm not going to talk crap and complain about the coaches or all this backlund bickering (yes he has potential to be a very good player and i love the guy as much as everyone else, but quite frankly if he was the awesome top 6 player everyone is making him out to be he'd of been fighting for the minutes in his first two years of being drafted), but I will say that we have to own the puck deep in the offensive zone, keep a good control so someone can get to the front and create traffic so all these shots we're getting have better chances, because this year our cycle game has sucked.

mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:51 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much it isn't it.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:53 AM
Triple Deke

Great action tonight from both squads. Iggy dominated and had a couple of chances to win it, but Howard put on a clinic at the end. Kipper let in 2 softies, has to be better.
Looks like Kostopolus will be sitting next couple of games (suspension).
I'm all for benching Olli now, and dressing Conroy. Slide Backs to top line.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
flames123

I am just going to point out that Iggy is 19th overall in scoring and that both Gio and Babchuk are in the top 30 for D-man scoring. Kipper.... well, lets not talk about him. He needs to be better. This game was very bad for him specifically but he hasn't been great all year.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:32 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Losing for Landeskog? Hobbling for Hopkins? Crashing for Couturier? Stinking for Strome? Misfiring for Murphy? Sinking for Siemens?

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:53 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Losing for Landeskog? Hobbling for Hopkins? Crashing for Couturier? Stinking for Strome? Misfiring for Murphy? Sinking for Siemens?
Sad thing is there's about 8 teams in the league who will probably finish ahead of us in the draft

Old
01-08-2011, 02:54 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Anyone else open to the Idea of letting Leland Irving play a few games, karlsons been O.K, kipper is struggling and the teams struggling I mean not like much worse could happen.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:58 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Anyone else open to the Idea of letting Leland Irving play a few games, karlsons been O.K, kipper is struggling and the teams struggling I mean not like much worse could happen.
Leland Irving is not the answer, but I wouldn't be opposed to calling him up for some games if (read: when) we're out of it in March.

Old
01-08-2011, 03:05 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Leland Irving is not the answer, but I wouldn't be opposed to calling him up for some games if (read: when) we're out of it in March.
Hes not the answer but a young guy like that could bring new energy and determination to this team. A Confident, determined goaltender can go a long in making a team better

Old
01-08-2011, 03:12 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
Hes not the answer but a young guy like that could bring new energy and determination to this team. A Confident, determined goaltender can go a long in making a team better
But he's not the answer to the problem? Then what's the point, I don't get it,

Old
01-08-2011, 11:14 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
But he's not the answer to the problem? Then what's the point, I don't get it,
An inconsistent team basically out of the playoffs mathamatically already (have to win 2 of every three games until seasons end) why not bring Irving up and let him play a few? Kipper has struggled this year.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
abracanada

How would that game have turned out if the Flames played a disciplined game and stayed out of the penalty box?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Sad thing is there's about 8 teams in the league who will probably finish ahead of us in the draft
Not if this keeps up...

This team is such an enigma, it's really frustrating. When one thing works, the other two key aspects of a good hockey team fall apart. Great goaltending? The defense sucks and we can't score. Defense is good? Can't score and the goaltending sieves it up. Scoring? Look out, because the D and goalie have the night off.

LOSE FOR LANDESKOG. That kid looks like he's gonna be something special.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
How would that game have turned out if the Flames played a disciplined game and stayed out of the penalty box?
This game? Given that Kiprusoff let in 3 goals that no NHL goalie should ever let in EVER, I doubt it would've changed anything. Seriously, if a less-established goalie has a game like that, he's probably waived today.

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Actually, I think there's a really good chance the Flames end up with a lottery pick by the end of the season, providing of course, they continue their terrible pace and the teams their ahead of win out. We've played more games than anyone in the bottom 10, so with a bit of luck (), the Flames could very well end up picking in the 4 to 6 range.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote