HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Opinion : Running Up The Score

Old
01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
I fully expect both teams to give it their all for 60 minutes. However something like sending your A team PP out on a 5-3 with 2 minutes left and a 10-0 score I think is over doing it. I've seen teams where the game is in hand put out the muckers on a PP to reward them for a good game.
Pretty much this. You got a 3 or 4 goal lead? Roll 4 lines and give the grinders some PP time, but don't tell your players "Don't score goals."

Bill Belichick put it perfectly when asked about running up the score. He just looked at the reporter and said "What do you want me to do? Kick a field goal?"

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Transom Bob

I'm perfectly fine with running up the score.

With that said, it has the potential to backfire on you. I sort of equate it to potentially waking up a sleeping giant. Better to let the game end quietly than to tick em off and have them circle your next game on the calendar.

Transom Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

I have no issues withe running up the score, but there are respectful ways to do it. Don't be an ass about it, don't go out of your way to humiliate the opponent, and it's fine.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Sheriff66

It's the pros, you score as many as you can, no such thing as running it up.

Sheriff66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Running up the score pisses off the opposing players. When you're losing 7-0 anyways what harm does taking 5 mins for boarding an opposing star player cause?

If I'm a coach I rest my stars and send out my pluggers to reduce chance of injuring my best players. Imagine if your teams best forward gets injured because he was out on a PP in a 8-0 game and the other team sent a goon to run him.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Score if you can. Mostly because almost no score is really 'out of reach' in the NHL anymore. A 5-0 score is not a guaranteed win if its still early in the game.

I do think the coach should start giving more time to the depth guys, to give them some extra chances and to rest the star players. But only to an extent, and only later in the game.

If it's 5-0 in the first period, and my #1 forward has a hat trick already, I would still put him out like I always would, maybe a bit more since he's having a good night. When its 5-0 in the third period, I would give the grunts more ice time.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 519
I would imagine padding your stats as a player helps next contract.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Ubi Sunt
KronwalLOL

in the hawks/canucks game when AV was upset about the hawks having their top PP line out there with a big lead, i disagreed with AV. Quenneville is always talking about how 5-3 PPs determine the outcomes of games, and the Hawks earned the opportunity to get real game experience in. it's not about disrespect - it's about improving the team. sorry it was at someone else's expense.

i think that the pens used a PP in a blowout to work on their struggles (i could be wrong here)

if a team is intentionally running up the score to humiliate another team, i think that's poor sportsmanship

Ubi Sunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
KingNothing4

It's professional athletes, we don't need to protect their feelings, they should just keep hammering in goals if they can. After all, in the new NHL, no lead is safe

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Robert Theodorson

One of the first games I ever went to the Caps were up 5-0 (I don't know how) and Kolzig had his shutout going, whoever the coach was at the time put 3-4 defensemen out and they were just clearing the zone and half assing it, the last 5 minutes. Kolzig lost his shutout, so that's one penalty for not going 100% for the entire game no matter how far you're up.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Infinite Vision*

Well, I see nothing wrong with what the Leafs are doing right now.

Infinite Vision* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

In the pros, no issue whatsoever.

You play hard to the whistle. Contracts, stats, etc. all factor in, and if you don't want to get scored on...play harder.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
EastCoastEdmund

Players also wanna finish the year with a lot of points. For example if the Lightning are up 5-0, should Stamkos stop trying his hardest when he wants to beat Crosby out for the Art Ross? Always play your hardest.

EastCoastEdmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Pretty much this. You got a 3 or 4 goal lead? Roll 4 lines and give the grinders some PP time, but don't tell your players "Don't score goals."

Bill Belichick put it perfectly when asked about running up the score. He just looked at the reporter and said "What do you want me to do? Kick a field goal?"
The Pats are different. Going for it on fourth down, passing instead of running, etc. That's disrespect and karma got them.

There's no such thing as running up the score in hockey or baseball. In basketball you can bench your starters for a bit, in football you can run the ball.

The Leafs tonight, with that Eager sucker punch, should go for double digits IMO.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Ubi Sunt
KronwalLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
The Pats are different. Going for it on fourth down, passing instead of running, etc. That's disrespect and karma got them.

There's no such thing as running up the score in hockey or baseball. In basketball you can bench your starters, in football you can run the ball.

The Leafs tonight, with that Eager sucker punch, should go for double digits IMO.
In baseball there is a sort of code where both teams begin to replace their starting players with bench players/utility players.

Old
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
You're never asking your player to stop playing, you try to score as many as you can but as a coach you should manage your bench a little differently, give more time to your young players, give some candy PP time to your hardworking grinder, give some break to your top player, maybe even give some time to your backup goalie if he's a little rusty.

It's a bit conservative but I like old school hockey.. You don't want to risk an injury in a blow out game.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:25 PM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
It's not little league. Play your best guys, get them records, get them scoring titles, get confidence.

PensPlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:31 PM
EternallyLeafs
doris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Vision View Post
Well, I see nothing wrong with what the Leafs are doing right now.
We get our ***** handed to us night after night, change is good.

Anyways, Ron Wilson has put our 4th line as our 1st PP unit.

EternallyLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

If you have a problem with losing by an embarrassing margin, do something about it. This is a professional sport, not little league. To add to it, many players earn bonuses based on performance.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
In baseball there is a sort of code where both teams begin to replace their starting players with bench players/utility players.
Ya now that I think about it, it's only football where you can intentionally go out and run up the score. You know.

In hockey, basketball, baseball you don't tell your players to lay off. Obviously you can give the scrubs more ice time. In football you can with the play calling.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:36 PM
kellymiller

Seriously? 2 pages and nobody went there?

Fine. I will.

CLASSSLESSSSS!!!

kellymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:36 PM

No such thing as running up the score in professional sports imo. You either show up and don't get embarrassed, or don't show up and get blown out.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Ubi Sunt
KronwalLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
Ya now that I think about it, it's only football where you can intentionally go out and run up the score. You know.

In hockey, basketball, baseball you don't tell your players to lay off. Obviously you can give the scrubs more ice time. In football you can with the play calling.
and in college football sometimes there's incentive to run up the score in order to get a higher ranking/bowl selection. this was much more prevalent during old ranking systems that took point differential into account.

Old
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

No lead is safe. I remember last season, Calgary was up 5-0 on the Hawks 12 minutes in. The Hawks won. Also, The Hawks were leading the Wild 5-1 into the thrid. The Wild ended up winning that one.

It's a pro league. If the other team is running it up, deal with it.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Ubi Sunt
KronwalLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikitas donut View Post
No lead is safe. I remember last season, Calgary was up 5-0 on the Hawks 12 minutes in. The Hawks won. Also, The Hawks were leading the Wild 5-1 into the thrid. The Wild ended up winning that one.

It's a pro league. If the other team is running it up, deal with it.
the hawks were dominating until the 3rd period of that Wild game - the games didn't have a whole lot of drama. i remember thinking "man, i wish these games were a little more exciting right before the third period started", and then we lose. i feel i created some bad karma.

and then they started struggled a bit and never really got back to the level they were at prior to that game. so blowing a big lead can have an effect on the team's performance.