HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Your Opinion : Running Up The Score

Old
01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
If your up by 5 goals in the 3rd, no need to be going all out to score more. However, often it's the other teams' fault. They start not to care, start playing soft, and even an opponent that's not going all out to score more simply is given more changes due to the increased poor play of the losing team.

So simply, with already a huge lead, don't go all out to score more, but if the opportunites are there why not take them.
If I'm a winger in the NHL my pay is based mostly off how many goals I score in a season, so I'm trying to score no more, always.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:55 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
the hawks were dominating until the 3rd period of that Wild game - the games didn't have a whole lot of drama. i remember thinking "man, i wish these games were a little more exciting right before the third period started", and then we lose. i feel i created some bad karma.

and then they started struggled a bit and never really got back to the level they were at prior to that game. so blowing a big lead can have an effect on the team's performance.
Yeah, I remember people calling that the "Minnesota Meltdown." The team went into a weird funk after that game that didn't seem to go away until late in the Nashville series.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 08:58 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Sunt View Post
the hawks were dominating until the 3rd period of that Wild game - the games didn't have a whole lot of drama. i remember thinking "man, i wish these games were a little more exciting right before the third period started", and then we lose. i feel i created some bad karma.

and then they started struggled a bit and never really got back to the level they were at prior to that game. so blowing a big lead can have an effect on the team's performance.
There was also that game where Team Canada's juniors were up 3-0, going into the third, and...and...

...too soon?

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Not Threadworthy

If one team can score that many goals, who's saying the other team can't?

Besides, they're pro's and playing for bonus'.

Just gets boring sometimes when there are no scraps.

Not Threadworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Hail Stannis

There is no such thing as a safe lead. Score as much as you possibly can and show no mercy and expect none. There is no reason not to score as much as possible. They're all pro's and should be able to deal with it.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:41 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
The only person that seems to have a problem with running up the score is Alain Vigneault, and even he played his top powerplay unit tonight while up 5-1 with 5 minutes left in the game. I guess it's different when you are the one with the lead, eh?

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paajallberle View Post
The only person that seems to have a problem with running up the score is Alain Vigneault, and even he played his top powerplay unit tonight while up 5-1 with 5 minutes left in the game. I guess it's different when you are the one with the lead, eh?
But this was after Hemsky went after Glass for what was a perfectly legal hit.

Slot 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

Quote:
Wasn't that just after the Oilers were running after Glass?

AV hasn't been too bad, he usuaully plays his bottom lines in those circumstances unless there was a run at a player before.
Not to mention that they probably wanted to give daniel a chance to get his hat trick on the 5on3.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Depends on the situation. Is the other team being goons ? If they are, run it up. If they're just playing so they can get out of there, then rest your big guns and put the bottom 6ers on the pp. If your goalie is pitching a shutout, then bottom 6ers and your best dman so you don't give up an odd man rush and possibly ruin the shutout.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

Quote:
Oilers goon it up. Coach Vig makes them pay. Simple.

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

I don't think anyone cares on this in the NHL besides the nucks coach.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Oilers goon it up. Coach Vig makes them pay. Simple.
MacIntyre drilling Alberts cleanly and Peckham giving Samuelsson a couple of shots after the whistle is gooning it up? Right.

I have no problem playing your best players when you have a big lead. Vigneault only whines about it when someone else does it to Vancouver.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:54 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Well if Hemsky wasn't chasing glass around the ice hooking and cross checking him because he was annoyed by a hit then it wouldn't have happened.

3rd period went like this

4-1 canucks, oiler player takes a shot at Samuelsson when he is already down. gets a double minor.

AV sends out the sedins on the PP and Kesler scores his hat trick goal.

AV sends out glass and Co. to play the second part of the PP. Glass knocks hemsky down. Hemsky chases him around starts a scrum, takes a penatly.

AV responds to goonery by sending out the sedins again, they score again.

Quite simple, you goon it up in a blowout they will run up the score. You play to run out the clock and you get to play against the 4th liners ont he power play.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:55 PM
HeadLikeAnOrange*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall4 View Post
MacIntyre drilling Alberts cleanly and Peckham giving Samuelsson a couple of shots after the whistle is gooning it up? Right.

I have no problem playing your best players when you have a big lead. Vigneault only whines about it when someone else does it to Vancouver.
Hemsky? Or did you turn the game off before it ended?

HeadLikeAnOrange* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2860
I hate it when people talk about not running up the score. People are competitive, and they should win by as much as possible. Whenever I play handball (a sport pretty much only in NYC) I try winning by as much as I can just to shove it in their face.

serge2k

Quote:

MacIntyre vs Alberts is fine. Alberts sure sucks at fighting though.

Peckham giving him a couple shots after the whistle is misleading. He tripped him then gave him an extra couple shots when Samuelsson was already down on the ice. Thats a cheapshot, nothing ridiculous but still a bit of goonery.

Old
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
I don't agree with AV's little theory, but he did make his comments after the Hawks threw out their 5 best players on a powerplay while blowing us out. He's never done the same thing unless the powerplay came after a dirty play. In tonight's case, Glass was being harrassed by, I think, Hemsky.

The Sedins and Kesler were all around just 15 minutes of icetime tonight anyway so you can put away your "HYPOCRITE!" card.

chopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
CellarDweller0

Outside of pro sports I frown upon doing that, especially to kids because it would hinder them. In pro sports it's another story, go for the jugular and don't stop till the body is cold.

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
13elieve

Quote:

Well Samuelsson was just laying on the ground and Peckham's hitting him the back of the head trying to draw a reaction to neutralize the penalty. He could have injured him. The Alberts call was no issue. AV even started to put the 4th line out for most of the third but then the glass incident started it all over again. It was a clean hit and the oilers were overreacting for no reason.

AV said it himself, if teams start to cause trouble, he'll go back to full offense.

13elieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slot 3 View Post
But this was after Hemsky went after Glass for what was a perfectly legal hit.
so what its not like hemsky cheap shotted him afterwards. he went after him. its hockey yeesh. the oilers didn't goon it up at all. big mac hit alberts clean and alberts jumped him from behind. peckham roughed samuelsson up a bit but not cheap shots like elbows. garret on sportsnet is by far the biggest homer i've ever watched. oilers weren't doing anything wrong.

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Vancouver doesn't need to send out goons to retaliate. They just send out the 1A powerplay.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:01 AM
serge2k

Hemsky got hit then spent the rest of his shift following glass around hooking him and cross checked him (although not that hard). Then he grabbed him and as soon as glass reacted two other guys grabbed him.

Hemsky proceeded to lamely hang on as 4 other guys were in the scrum.

Old
01-08-2011, 12:05 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

The cheapest play in the third period was Bieksa's late hit on Gagner

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:05 AM
donutz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
so what its not like hemsky cheap shotted him afterwards. he went after him. its hockey yeesh. the oilers didn't goon it up at all. big mac hit alberts clean and alberts jumped him from behind. peckham roughed samuelsson up a bit but not cheap shots like elbows. garret on sportsnet is by far the biggest homer i've ever watched. oilers weren't doing anything wrong.
Please read the following once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Well if Hemsky wasn't chasing glass around the ice hooking and cross checking him because he was annoyed by a hit then it wouldn't have happened.

3rd period went like this

4-1 canucks, oiler player takes a shot at Samuelsson when he is already down. gets a double minor.

AV sends out the sedins on the PP and Kesler scores his hat trick goal.

AV sends out glass and Co. to play the second part of the PP. Glass knocks hemsky down. Hemsky chases him around starts a scrum, takes a penatly.

AV responds to goonery by sending out the sedins again, they score again.

Quite simple, you goon it up in a blowout they will run up the score. You play to run out the clock and you get to play against the 4th liners ont he power play.
You don't get a 4 minute penalty for not "doing anything wrong."

donutz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Trolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
Are you serious ?

"It's only a little bit of goonery" is still goonery and the offending team will have to face the league's number 1 PP. It's rather simple.

Trolt is offline   Reply With Quote