HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Heritage Classic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2011, 10:39 PM
  #1
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,158
vCash: 500
The Heritage Classic

Just realized we are playing an outdoor game. Anyone excited?

It will be like -30 C lol.

Also, we should start a petition to have Price wear a tuque.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
  #2
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Calgary will either be +10 or -10, lots of chinook winds in that area. Would love to see another HBO special on these two teams.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
  #3
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,173
vCash: 500
To be honest, I'm HORRIBLY disappointed, why it means we've played in 2 of them and haven't hosted one, which means there has to be about 6 more before we can host one.

being the guest team sucks, its all about hosting imo.

Montreal is one of the best cities to host and its not gonna happen.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:44 PM
  #4
Bunka Gurndeep
Registered User
 
Bunka Gurndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Calgary will either be +10 or -10, lots of chinook winds in that area. Would love to see another HBO special on these two teams.
More like +10 or -25. It's been freezing out here lately. Not many chinooks yet either

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:51 PM
  #5
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
More like +10 or -25. It's been freezing out here lately. Not many chinooks yet either
generally speaking, it can be quite warm or cold.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2011, 10:55 PM
  #6
Bunka Gurndeep
Registered User
 
Bunka Gurndeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
generally speaking, it can be quite warm or cold.
I remember my family visiting in February last winter and we were touring around banff and lake Louise it was +16 lol

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:04 AM
  #7
11Goat11
Inside her
 
11Goat11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
I like the outdoor games just for the event, the players are into it and it always has good atmosphere. And it's nice to not see Pittsburgh again

I was laughing at the Toronto radio guys talking about it this week saying they don't care about it, it's a gimmick, too many outdoor games, but you can tell they are dying for the Leafs to be in one as they talk about hosting one on other days. The media guys say they don't care but the week of the game it will be the only thing they will be talking about, too funny.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:26 AM
  #8
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
OK, can someone just clarify for me "The Heritage classic" is this the canadian out door game? as opposed to "The Winter Classic" the american outdoor game? or what is the difference? I remember hearing lead up to the Winter classic this season, and of course they were hyping Pittsburg, mentioning them as the team that won the first Winter classic, I got confused because I thought the Habs won the first Winter classic vs. Edmonton.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:29 AM
  #9
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
OK, can someone just clarify for me "The Heritage classic" is this the canadian out door game? as opposed to "The Winter Classic" the american outdoor game? or what is the difference? I remember hearing lead up to the Winter classic this season, and of course they were hyping Pittsburg, mentioning them as the team that won the first Winter classic, I got confused because I thought the Habs won the first Winter classic vs. Edmonton.
NHL seems to be marketing an all American match up called the Winter Classic to be played every year. They also seem to want to play an all Canadian matchup called the Heritage Classic, once every few years.

The first NHL outdoor game was indeed a Heritage Classic in 2003.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:40 AM
  #10
dutchy29
Registered User
 
dutchy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
NHL seems to be marketing an all American match up called the Winter Classic to be played every year. They also seem to want to play an all Canadian matchup called the Heritage Classic, once every few years.

The first NHL outdoor game was indeed a Heritage Classic in 2003.
Thx, well if thats the case, seems a no brainer would be Toronto vs. Montreal,
original 6 and all. Doesn't really give Canadian teams a whole lot of choices/options for opponents. Just seems again like a bit of a slight from Bettman...what do you guys think?

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:36 AM
  #11
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
To be honest, I'm HORRIBLY disappointed, why it means we've played in 2 of them and haven't hosted one, which means there has to be about 6 more before we can host one.

being the guest team sucks, its all about hosting imo.

Montreal is one of the best cities to host and its not gonna happen.
Where, at the Big O? Place is unsafe and...yuck.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:49 AM
  #12
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
here's an idea, on new years day, have two "winter'' classic games....

One in the U.S with two american teams, and one in Canada with two Canadian teams.

One at 1pm , the other at 4pm...

NBC can have the U.S game at 1pm, TSN or CBC gets the Canadian game at 4pm.

To make it a bit more interesting, the winner hosts the following years winter classic.

If Florida or LA ( or any "southern belt" team) play and win, then they play in a neutral location, like Hartford or wherever.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:39 AM
  #13
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!
 
TheHabMan43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Where, at the Big O? Place is unsafe and...yuck.
Yeah, I don't trust that dump either.

Do you think it would be possible to get Percival Molson to 30-35,000?

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 05:02 AM
  #14
NWT Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
cool's idea has a ton of merit, let there be a game for US audiences and one for Canadian. I am not as sold on the winner plays all, given that far too many teams cannot ever think of hosting a game. I also don't think it can be annual, as rain storms and snow storms have shown what havoc weather can have on "two points". I had the opportunity of being at a very cold Heritage Classic in Edmonton and have my ticket to the Calgary game. It is a gimmic for sure, but it is fun to witness. It does need to get to the big MTL/TO markets soon as that is long overdue...not that I am complaining here out west.

NWT Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
  #15
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Yeah, I don't trust that dump either.

Do you think it would be possible to get Percival Molson to 30-35,000?
I can't see it happening, otherwise if it were that easy the Als would've done it long ago for playoff games. It would be wicked to host it there, as it would be worlds better than what it would be like in a huge stadium, but the attendance issue would make it prohibitive, IMO.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:31 PM
  #16
D3nZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Edmundston, N-B
Country: Canada
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
here's an idea, on new years day, have two "winter'' classic games....

One in the U.S with two american teams, and one in Canada with two Canadian teams.

One at 1pm , the other at 4pm...

NBC can have the U.S game at 1pm, TSN or CBC gets the Canadian game at 4pm.

To make it a bit more interesting, the winner hosts the following years winter classic.

If Florida or LA ( or any "southern belt" team) play and win, then they play in a neutral location, like Hartford or wherever.
It would be too hard to do, Dan Craig (the Ice Guru) would have to be at two places in one time. Plus they only have equipment for one rink at a time.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:39 PM
  #17
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Where, at the Big O? Place is unsafe and...yuck.
Alouettes Stadium

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 12:56 PM
  #18
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Alouettes Stadium
It's too small. They want to make a boatload of money off the event to make up for costs. I think part of the point of it is to be able to have 50+ thousand attend a game.

But man, that would be a beautiful place for an outdoor hockey game. Right next to the mountain, smack-dab in the middle of downtown.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:00 PM
  #19
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nZ View Post
It would be too hard to do, Dan Craig (the Ice Guru) would have to be at two places in one time. Plus they only have equipment for one rink at a time.
Well then, they'll have to find two Dan Craigs. Not sure about the costs of equipment but revenue from the 2nd event might make the expenditures for equipment worth the cost.... particularly in the long run, if the event remains a tradition.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #20
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 50
going to this got tickets row 26 cant wait

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
  #21
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
I'm really excited, my younger brother is a huge Flames fan. We're going to the game together with eight others who are also Flames fans, so it should be interesting.

The bet I have with my brother is the loser has to buy the group a steak dinner. So I hope like hell our boys win, or I might have to mortgage my house.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
  #22
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
Thx, well if thats the case, seems a no brainer would be Toronto vs. Montreal,
original 6 and all. Doesn't really give Canadian teams a whole lot of choices/options for opponents. Just seems again like a bit of a slight from Bettman...what do you guys think?
I feel if they NEED for whatever reason to do this they should do the O6 teams build some excitement but honestly I am getting sick of the yearly outdoor games they are losing their lustre.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:51 PM
  #23
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I'm really excited, my younger brother is a huge Flames fan. We're going to the game together with eight others who are also Flames fans, so it should be interesting.

The bet I have with my brother is the loser has to buy the group a steak dinner. So I hope like hell our boys win, or I might have to mortgage my house.
If Habs win, get me a steak.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:54 PM
  #24
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby
 
Jabba11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,223
vCash: 500
I want a Leafs vs Canadiens outdoor game! Original Six rivalry.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:17 PM
  #25
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
If Habs win, get me a steak.
No problem, unfortunately it will probably be a little old by the time I get it to you.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.