HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Finally saw Miracle...

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Finally saw Miracle...

got a chance on my way to Colorado yesterday morning. The acting probably sucked. The writing probably sucked. And who knows how it was as a movie. All I could think of, though, was when I was 10 1/2 years old, glued in front of the TV for every single game. Remembering being excited to watch a bunch of nodbodys beat Russia then Finland, and come from behind in every game along the way. [I think I also remember Eric Heiden winning 4, 5 or 6 medals and his sister not doing as well (didn't she fall). I may've remembered Phil Mahre doing something and maybe Ingelmar Stenmark, but now I'm really going off on a tangent.

The point is, the game's changed so much, especially in the Olympics. We will never see the excitement we saw back in 1980. The setting was absolutely optimal - the Soviets being a machine winning 4 Olympics in a row. The Iran situation. Invading Afghaninstan. Threatening to boycott. Czechoslavakia being a country called Czecholslavakia. And for these kids...a bunch of nobodys who showed what you can do as a TEAM (there weren't a lot of individuals who did so well in the NHL afterwards - it was an All Star Team - not a team of All Stars). I had goosebumps and was a bit choked up (maybe because I realized I'm becoming an old fary). But remembering everyone of those name (and thinking Phil Verchota's last name was actually spelled Vigoda (pronounced that way somehwat) and that he was somehow related to Fish (oh those 70s sitcoms)). It was enjoyable for me - and almost made me realize that perhaps Brooks would've been a decent choice for Rangers coach (he would not have listened to Sather, and he may've worked their tails off).

Old
06-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
(maybe because I realized I'm becoming an old fary).

Sorry Fletch, had to point this out

Old
06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Balej=Future

I agree with you despite the fact that the Olympics happeend four years before I was born......the movie is intenese and is a must see for any hockey fan. However the one thing that kind of upsets me is the fact that people thought this team came out of no where. Although many households in America never heard of Jim Craig or Mike Eruzione, these players to a degree were all accomplished hockey players. Despite the US' shortcomings in prior years many scouts had them ranked very high and were in good contention to win a medal. The U.S. defeating the USSR in the Olympics was like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays beating the Yankees in the World Series. A more realistic comparison than a ECHL defeating the Detroit Red Wings.... a comparison that I have ehard in the past

Old
06-24-2004, 11:14 AM
Larry Melnyk

Fletch - Haven't seen it yet, but my son and I plan on watching it tomorrow...To me, that game is the single most enjoyable and exciting sporting event I have ever seen...I know it sounds like heresy but, in my eyes, it even tops the Cup winner and any other Ranger game...Maybe because I'm a little older and knew what was going on around the world and was close in age to these players that performed the miracle...Goosebumps to the max...Even just thinking about it....

Old
06-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Fletch - Haven't seen it yet, but my son and I plan on watching it tomorrow...To me, that game is the single most enjoyable and exciting sporting event I have ever seen...I know it sounds like heresy but, in my eyes, it even tops the Cup winner and any other Ranger game...Maybe because I'm a little older and knew what was going on around the world and was close in age to these players that performed the miracle...Goosebumps to the max...Even just thinking about it....
If you're a Ranger fan, it's tough for any event to top '94

Old
06-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
If you're a Ranger fan, it's tough for any event to top '94
I'm a Ranger fan, and it does....

Old
06-24-2004, 12:02 PM
Jackson Ranger

I thought Kurt Russell did a good job portraying Brooks. And of course, reliving that moment brought some goose bumps. The one thing the movie did show was how America really could care less about the American hockey team at first but once they started winning, everyone seemed to jump on the bandwagon.

My one complaint was they tried very hard to get players that looked like the actual players but some of these guys shot the opposite of what the player did. In other words, they have Ken Morrow as a left handed defenseman when he actually shot right handed. Also, I think they have Kasatonov as a righty defenseman but he is left handed. I know, it's nit-picking but hey, can't Disney do anything right?

Old
06-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Fletch

Larry...

I sat there and watched and thought the Soviet Union was going to win the game. I was actually excited to see how it turned out. Russell did do a good job, I thought.

As for them coming out of nowhere...USA Hockey was nowhere. In '78 or '79 you had your first American-born player being selected in the first round of the draft. They were a bunch of kids when compared to the Soviets and Czechoslavakia. The average age was about 21. They were accomplished college players, and the college ranks was not considered then what it is today. And this game is one of the events that changed that.

I didn't remember how Morrow shot, but I caught the Kasatonov error.

Thanks Bluenote, you're real nice!

As for topping 1994...you know, it's tough to say. At worst, it may've been even for me. I was young at the time, but if the Rangers won the Cup that same year, I would not have been as excited. It was a team that every American rooted for. And I remember the effect afterwards - people in the street playing hockey. Playing floor hockey in gym (finally, after I begged for a couple years). It's a tough one (and me being the great collector I am got my Sports Illustrated the following week, and tore out all the hockey pages to hang on my wall (to this day, I can only locate the front cover page)). Still got 1994's issue though.

Old
06-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Fletch

Larry...

I sat there and watched and thought the Soviet Union was going to win the game. I was actually excited to see how it turned out. Russell did do a good job, I thought.

As for them coming out of nowhere...USA Hockey was nowhere. In '78 or '79 you had your first American-born player being selected in the first round of the draft. They were a bunch of kids when compared to the Soviets and Czechoslavakia. The average age was about 21. They were accomplished college players, and the college ranks was not considered then what it is today. And this game is one of the events that changed that.

I didn't remember how Morrow shot, but I caught the Kasatonov error.

Thanks Bluenote, you're real nice!

As for topping 1994...you know, it's tough to say. At worst, it may've been even for me. I was young at the time, but if the Rangers won the Cup that same year, I would not have been as excited. It was a team that every American rooted for. And I remember the effect afterwards - people in the street playing hockey. Playing floor hockey in gym (finally, after I begged for a couple years). It's a tough one (and me being the great collector I am got my Sports Illustrated the following week, and tore out all the hockey pages to hang on my wall (to this day, I can only locate the front cover page)). Still got 1994's issue though.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
All I could think of, though, was when I was 10 1/2 years old, glued in front of the TV for every single game.

The setting was absolutely optimal - the Soviets being a machine winning 4 Olympics in a row. The Iran situation. Invading Afghaninstan. Threatening to boycott. Czechoslavakia being a country called Czecholslavakia.

I had goosebumps and was a bit choked up (maybe because I realized I'm becoming an old fary).
Fletch, i couldn't agree with you more. I was ten at the time and on vacation skiing in vermont... i remember we were stuck in traffic coming off the mountain and everyone was listening on the radio and started honking their horns and jumping out of their cars... it was almost surreal. (luckily my father taped every game so we all watched it when we got home) you hit the nail on the head about the setting being optimal.

i can't believe i am such a die hard hockey fan and anytime i hear "do you believe in miracles" i get choked up, yet i STILL havent seen "Miracle"... i finally got it the other day, now i just need to find some free time to watch it. I am pissed that i didnt see it on the big screen though.

Closed Thread