HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Garden is back....

Old
12-17-2010, 12:52 AM
RML

vCash: 500
The Garden is back....

I know plenty of people throughout the seaon have been stating theres no buzz or anything....but id advise you to go to a game and see yourself.

Tonight was my first game this season and WOW...felt like a playoff atmosphere in the 3rd.

Maybe we can get another "Spring of 94'" with both the Rangers and Knicks? lol

RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I dont think its an exaggeration. This city is excited. I was in the city tonight for the game and it was awesome during and after the game. I was at the Celtics game, and am going to the Heat game. The celtic game was even crazier. This city is ready for some Playoff hockey, and basketball. Then we will see what happens from there.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:55 AM
mrhockey193195

Agreed, I was expecting a dull atmosphere, especially against a western team like phoenix. Man, the place was rocking during the third and OT.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Seriously. This year has been absolutely excellent for the Garden. The Knicks are back and the Rangers have been proving they can hang with the best of them.

Frankly, i'm excited and can't wait to go back to the Garden. Last game I went to was against Edmonton when Anisimov scored from the side. I want to go to a Pens or Flyers game so bad.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:05 AM
RML

My question is, plenty of people have been saying MSG tunes down the crowd volume....is that true? because it does seem dull when I watch it on TV but EVERYTIME I go to a game it's rocking and also do they not tune it down for the Knicks? I always hear the place going crazy for the Knicks on TV.

RML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Yeah MSG tunes it down. If you watch a game on MSG and say VS. You can notice a big difference in the noise levels. Not sure about the knicks.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:11 AM
owedoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
Yeah MSG tunes it down. If you watch a game on MSG and say VS. You can notice a big difference in the noise levels. Not sure about the knicks.
Back in the day Sportschannel always tuned down the crowd but you could count on msg to have some good ambience.
I don't know if theres any truth to this but I was told if you have a 5.1 sound system and/or hd, the sound is normal-ish. Can anyone confirm/deny?

owedoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
1st and 2nd period last night the crowd was pretty dull, but that had a lot to do with the way the Rangers were playing.

3rd period and OT was electric though.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:09 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I was at the 7-0 Washington rout, and left a bit disappointed.

For a game like that, I would have expected the place to be rocking, but everything was very "meh" in between goal celebrations and chants during/after fights.

Maybe my expectations are a bit too high, but I wish some of the energy/noise that goes on during those moments carried over to the rest of play. And I want to hear one huge "Let's go Rangers" chant, damn it, not just one that starts somewhere and trickles around until it slowly dies.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:26 AM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan18nyr View Post
My question is, plenty of people have been saying MSG tunes down the crowd volume....is that true? because it does seem dull when I watch it on TV but EVERYTIME I go to a game it's rocking and also do they not tune it down for the Knicks? I always hear the place going crazy for the Knicks on TV.
MSG does a terrible job with crowd volumes. I wish they'd fix that. Idk about the Knicks I don't watch too many Knicks games. Though I will be watching tonight's game. Beat the Heat!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Giacomin

Ironically I went to 3 games this year where it was tied with less than 5 minutes to go and they lost,Carolina,Washington and Ottawa and the crowd seemed shocked. The games against the Blackhawks, Flames,Islanders, Devils and last night the crowd was electric and we haven,t seen the Fyers,Habs and the Pens only once. I think if the team gets on a roll the intensity at the Garden will grow. Even during 2 losses against Atlanta and Boston I thought the crowd was really into it. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I think the crowd's been flat for games is the fact there's no exciting buzz from or about the team. There's no dynamic players that'll get me off of my seat - no disrespect to Gaborik, but let's be real. Having two average seasons with no scoring after the excitement once Jagr left doesn't help at all.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan18nyr View Post
I know plenty of people throughout the seaon have been stating theres no buzz or anything....but id advise you to go to a game and see yourself.

Tonight was my first game this season and WOW...felt like a playoff atmosphere in the 3rd.

Maybe we can get another "Spring of 94'" with both the Rangers and Knicks? lol

Last night was a great game to go to. Around the holidays they always are. People are in town, and in a festive mood. Glad you enjoed it. But...if you are a regular there, there is no denying that the first quarter has been missing some excitement...and missing some people as well. Progressively, there have been less and less people there and that is a direct result of the economy IMO. Nothing to do with lack of fanbase, but...it is pricey and that plays a big part.

In the past the trains were loaded with fans at every stop going to games. Every car going in was a sea of Rangers jerseys. Lately that is not the case and while there are still fans it is NOTHING like it was in the mid to late 90's or even before the lockout. A good healthy team will increase the atmosphere...but it still lacks from whjat it USED to be.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Agreed, I was expecting a dull atmosphere, especially against a western team like phoenix. Man, the place was rocking during the third and OT.
Probably a little extra amp for the Yotes since they have so many ex-Ranger connections.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
tailgunner

the crowds today pale in comparison to the 80's and up until the mid 90's...those were the days when the crowds were at their best...today it is still totally lame

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Watch & listen closely when they play hightlights on the countdown: games from early to mid 90's, even before the cup, playing teams like Detroit.

"Let's Go Rangers!" chant, the cadence and tempo and just overall energy level make today's game pale in comparison.

The only thing that has come close is the double-overtime in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I cringe most times these days when the chant starts. It is so slow and lethargic...

Last edited by Blueshirt Special: 12-17-2010 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added info
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Giacomin

Unfortunately those days are gone! This what brought up on a recent Islander/Ranger thread but the fans don,t seem as passionate as they did 20-30 years ago. Look at the video of the Mike Milbury game in 1979 and see how crazy the crowd was.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:56 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
you can get only crowd noise on msg, no sam or joe talking, just on ice sounds

just put the SAP on spanish, almost always works for home games, idk about road

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I don't know about this. The local newspapers still hide hockey in the bowels of the sports section after cockroach racing. It takes me at least 2 or 3 minutes to find the token Rangers article.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:02 PM
bubba5

As good as some of the young Rangers fans may think it has been this season, I can tell you it is nothing compared to the crowd noise from the late 70's until the Cup Championship year.

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
As good as some of the young Rangers fans may think it has been this season, I can tell you it is nothing compared to the crowd noise from the late 70's until the Cup Championship year.
Late 70's? Try late 60's.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:30 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Late 70's? Try late 60's.
Sorry, I dont go back that far, I can only comment on what I have seen.

bubba5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
I don't know about this. The local newspapers still hide hockey in the bowels of the sports section after cockroach racing. It takes me at least 2 or 3 minutes to find the token Rangers article.
True dat

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
you can get only crowd noise on msg, no sam or joe talking, just on ice sounds

just put the SAP on spanish, almost always works for home games, idk about road
Really? I've dreamed about a mode like this forever. I gotta try it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:22 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I was at the 7-0 Washington rout, and left a bit disappointed.

For a game like that, I would have expected the place to be rocking, but everything was very "meh" in between goal celebrations and chants during/after fights.
Maybe I'm wrong here, but when I watched that game on TV, I was thinking to myself that between the Knicks game earlier that day & people watching the Jets that there wasn't going to be a ton of energy left for that Caps' game.

Plus, Sundays being more along the lines of family night, I wasn't expecting much.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote