HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#43 - 01.08.2011 | New York Rangers @ St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
  #651
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,671
vCash: 500
Awards:
Grachev makes sense.

Still, you guys think Frolov will be out for long? I'd bank on him playing the next game.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:09 AM
  #652
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
this was seriously one of the biggest wins of the season. on the road, against a damn good team, with our backup goalie in net, on a 3rd game in 4 nights, after our top 2 defenseman put up well over 30 minutes a piece, against 2 extremely physical teams...the rangers stood up to task, and not only that, but this wasn't one of those games like last year where the Rangers won...but you didnt *feel* like they deserved to win. The Rangers deserved both of these wins, and really outside of 1 or 2 wins all season, they very much deserve the record they have.

Tortorella deserves so much credit for this team its absolutely ridiculous.

I remember when he came here and said something along the lines of "i cant wait to get my hands on Dubinsky"....folks, you're seeing Torts' impact on Dubi. The guy is a bonafide star imho. He controls the play on each and every shift. He's not just a good player, hes a frikkin dominating monster out here. He kind of reminds of me the way Eric Lindros could just own a game with his combination of size, speed and skill. Granted hes nowhere near as talented as Lindros, but hes a frikkin beast nonetheless.

This team has been decimated with injuries, and yet we continue to play John Tortorella, no ******** hockey.

I.

LOVE.

IT.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:20 AM
  #653
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
this was seriously one of the biggest wins of the season. on the road, against a damn good team, with our backup goalie in net, on a 3rd game in 4 nights, after our top 2 defenseman put up well over 30 minutes a piece, against 2 extremely physical teams...the rangers stood up to task, and not only that, but this wasn't one of those games like last year where the Rangers won...but you didnt *feel* like they deserved to win. The Rangers deserved both of these wins, and really outside of 1 or 2 wins all season, they very much deserve the record they have.

Tortorella deserves so much credit for this team its absolutely ridiculous.

I remember when he came here and said something along the lines of "i cant wait to get my hands on Dubinsky"....folks, you're seeing Torts' impact on Dubi. The guy is a bonafide star imho. He controls the play on each and every shift. He's not just a good player, hes a frikkin dominating monster out here. He kind of reminds of me the way Eric Lindros could just own a game with his combination of size, speed and skill. Granted hes nowhere near as talented as Lindros, but hes a frikkin beast nonetheless.

This team has been decimated with injuries, and yet we continue to play John Tortorella, no ******** hockey.

I.

LOVE.

IT.
The Blues are without 3 of their top 6 forwards. They're a much, much stronger team with those players in the lineup. Their offense is neutered without these players. It's nice that we got the win, and we really limited what they did tonight, but you want to talk about decimated by injuries? They've got us beat in that department.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:26 AM
  #654
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The Blues are without 3 of their top 6 forwards. They're a much, much stronger team with those players in the lineup. Their offense is neutered without these players. It's nice that we got the win, and we really limited what they did tonight, but you want to talk about decimated by injuries? They've got us beat in that department.
We were missing Callahan, Prospal, and Rozsival tonight. That's at worst a draw in the injury department. It's not like the Blues were missing some star forward or something.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:34 AM
  #655
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
We were missing Callahan, Prospal, and Rozsival tonight. That's at worst a draw in the injury department. It's not like the Blues were missing some star forward or something.
not to mention Christensen and Boogaard, as well as losing Gabby with a shoulder injury and Drury with a hand injury earlier in the season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:38 AM
  #656
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
We were missing Callahan, Prospal, and Rozsival tonight. That's at worst a draw in the injury department. It's not like the Blues were missing some star forward or something.
I disagree, and I think Callahan is our best overall skater and most important player other than Lundqvist.

They don't have any star forwards. McDonald, Perron, and Oshie are, at the least, all top 5 forwards for them, and probably better playmakers than any forward on their roster other than Steen, and that's debatable.

It was a solid win, but man, that team seemed lifeless offensively.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:44 AM
  #657
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I disagree, and I think Callahan is our best overall skater and most important player other than Lundqvist.

They don't have any star forwards. McDonald, Perron, and Oshie are, at the least, all top 5 forwards for them, and probably better playmakers than any forward on their roster other than Steen, and that's debatable.

It was a solid win, but man, that team seemed lifeless offensively.
34 points combined in 48 games played for the 3 blues players you mentioned. .708ppg

lets pick Christensen, Prospal and Cally as the big 3 we are missing:
Christensen: 14 in 37
Cally: 23 in 32
and last year Prospal gave us 58 in 75.
combined: 95 points in 144 games

.660 PPG.

That's a difference of 12 combined points for 3 players over the course of 1 82 game season.

Close enough for government work.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:48 AM
  #658
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I disagree, and I think Callahan is our best overall skater and most important player other than Lundqvist.

They don't have any star forwards. McDonald, Perron, and Oshie are, at the least, all top 5 forwards for them, and probably better playmakers than any forward on their roster other than Steen, and that's debatable.

It was a solid win, but man, that team seemed lifeless offensively.
The fact that we are weathering our injuries better than they are speaks more to the quality of our respective rosters than to that of the injured players. The guys we're missing are just as good as the guys they're missing, so I don't feel particularly sorry for the Blues.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:54 AM
  #659
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I'd watch the Ranger game over the Jets 100% of the time, but my dad wanted to watch the Jet game with me today and I don't want to miss out on some quality bonding time with my pops!
Next time,take dad to a hockeygame.Football is not undertandable and soccer is boring slow ****.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
  #660
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
34 points combined in 48 games played for the 3 blues players you mentioned. .708ppg

lets pick Christensen, Prospal and Cally as the big 3 we are missing:
Christensen: 14 in 37
Cally: 23 in 32
and last year Prospal gave us 58 in 75.
combined: 95 points in 144 games

.660 PPG.

That's a difference of 12 combined points for 3 players over the course of 1 82 game season.

Close enough for government work.
Perron and Oshie were both lost to injury very early.

7 points in 10 games for Perron, and 10 points in 13 games for Oshie. That's 2nd and 4th in terms of PPG on the Blues. McDonald is 5th. I think MZA, although a replacement, is already more impressive than Christensen ever was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The fact that we are weathering our injuries better than they are speaks more to the quality of our respective rosters than to that of the injured players. The guys we're missing are just as good as the guys they're missing, so I don't feel particularly sorry for the Blues.
I would say that all three of those guys are better and more valuable than Prospal or Rozsival, and I have nothing against either. Not really about feeling sorry for them, just a fact of life for them. They don't get Marian Gaboriks in free agency, and they spent their top draft picks on defensemen (a move that may bite them in the butt down the road, if it isn't already). The fact remains that they are not a very strong offensive team, especially without those players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:05 AM
  #661
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I would say that all three of those guys are better and more valuable than Prospal or Rozsival, and I have nothing against either. Not really about feeling sorry for them, just a fact of life for them. They don't get Marian Gaboriks in free agency, and they spent their top draft picks on defensemen (a move that may bite them in the butt down the road, if it isn't already). The fact remains that they are not a very strong offensive team, especially without those players.
I think it's a matter of personal preference. It's close enough for me that it's basically a wash in talent loss, especially for any single matchup. I do agree that the Blues are certainly not a scary opponent right now, but you have to admire what the Rangers were able to do in their third game in four nights.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:13 AM
  #662
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I think it's a matter of personal preference. It's close enough for me that it's basically a wash in talent loss, especially for any single matchup. I do agree that the Blues are certainly not a scary opponent right now, but you have to admire what the Rangers were able to do in their third game in four nights.
I admire that the Rangers are a strong enough team defensively that they can shut down a weak offensive team like this when necessary. The game against Dallas was a more impressive victory, however.

This is a game a team like the Rangers should win. The fact that they did is certainly nice. I just thought Inferno's reaction was a little bit over the top in regards to this particular contest.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:24 AM
  #663
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,094
vCash: 500
I agree that Tortorella deserves a lot of credit. It would be very easy for a team with all the injuries to just give up and have that excuse. Torts will have none of that.

Dubi's continued growth is very positive for this team.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:11 AM
  #664
Moocowman
 
Moocowman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Manchester, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The Blues are without 3 of their top 6 forwards. They're a much, much stronger team with those players in the lineup. Their offense is neutered without these players. It's nice that we got the win, and we really limited what they did tonight, but you want to talk about decimated by injuries? They've got us beat in that department.
We really do have some negative fans.

Moocowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
  #665
FultonReed
ew, you did what?
 
FultonReed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocowman View Post
We really do have some negative fans.
i don't understand how he was being negative. he was merely explaining that St. Louis is plagued by injuries and 3 of their top 6 forwards just happened to be the ones injured. and he's right. St. Louis missing Perron, McDonald and Oshie is huge for thay team. if those 3 guys weren't missing for as long as they have been, St. Louis could very well be in playoff contention right now. in fact, the race out West is so tight, that even with the 46 points they have, they can still make it into the playoffs. sure, we're missing Callahan, but they're missing half their scoring. if we were missing Callahan, Dubinsky and say...Boyle (because he's been doing some scoring for us) i'm pretty sure we'd be in the same boat.

i can't take away from the win last night. we deserved it. but you can't ignore the fact that if St. Louis had those 3 guys in the line up, we would have had to work harder for that win.


Last edited by FultonReed: 01-09-2011 at 07:41 AM.
FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:40 AM
  #666
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocowman View Post
We really do have some negative fans.

Not really. Sting makes a good point. Not sure if they've got us beat in 'injury' department but Oshie, McDonald and Perron are big losses for them.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
  #667
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
McDonagh look good tonight?
Yes...he kept his game simple, made smart plays defensively, was always in position, and showed his ability to move the puck. Also, Sauer and Eminger played well, and Torts increased their ice time, thereby reducing the ice time of Staal and Girardi.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
  #668
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
34 points combined in 48 games played for the 3 blues players you mentioned. .708ppg

lets pick Christensen, Prospal and Cally as the big 3 we are missing:
Christensen: 14 in 37
Cally: 23 in 32
and last year Prospal gave us 58 in 75.
combined: 95 points in 144 games

.660 PPG.

That's a difference of 12 combined points for 3 players over the course of 1 82 game season.

Close enough for government work.
last year doesn't count

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:59 AM
  #669
Rangers44*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Grachev... he was already up and plays a similar game to Frolov.
How is his game similar to Frolov? He is much faster, more physical, and provides better energy.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
  #670
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
Another very solid win. Once again the d led the way and played great. Dubi is really starting to develop into a consistent game changer. He has shifts out there were he reminds me of a young Messier. Skating through defensmen, throwing huge checks and forcing his way to the net with a forward draped on his back. Absolutely dominating!!!!

Good to see Avery score goal but I have a feeling he's back in the doghouse for that double minor. Anyway can't wait to the next game!! LGR

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
  #671
Osminator
Registered User
 
Osminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vienna, Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 50
I'd let Grachev continue developing in Hartford.

Call up Chad Kolarik (15G,14A) / Jeremy Williams (20G) / Kris Newbury (30A,35Pts) for 4th line duty.

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....ason=&confId=0

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:08 PM
  #672
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
If we're gonna factor injuries and whatnot, did anyone also bring up the fact that:

1) Blues were playing at home
2) Rangers had played the night before (also on the road)
3) Rangers were playing their backup while the Blues played their first stringer?

Please boys, enough with the over analyzing (I only did it because you guys started it!)

From what I saw, the Rangers played a tremendous road game and I'm proud of this hockey club!

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:09 PM
  #673
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
If we're gonna factor injuries and whatnot, did anyone also bring up the fact that:

1) Blues were playing at home
2) Rangers had played the night before (also on the road)
3) Rangers were playing their backup while the Blues played their first stringer?

Please boys, enough with the over analyzing (I only did it because you guys started it!)

From what I saw, the Rangers played a tremendous road game and I'm proud of this hockey club!
I think you forgot:

4) This team kicks ass.


Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:34 PM
  #674
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I saw him shy away from contact multiple times, turn the puck over because he is so bad at protecting it. He also gave away the puck a ton.

I'm not making any long term statements, because we have all seen what he is capable of when he is on, however I thought he was pretty bad tonight.
Would you deal Gabby to the Kings (they need a sniper and have cap room) for Brayden Schenn and a first round pick?

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:41 PM
  #675
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yes...he kept his game simple, made smart plays defensively, was always in position, and showed his ability to move the puck. Also, Sauer and Eminger played well, and Torts increased their ice time, thereby reducing the ice time of Staal and Girardi.
To me the most impressive thing about McDonough is how great a skater he is and how effortlessly he transitions to defense when the puck is turned over. There were a couple of times where an onrushing forward looked like they would beat him to the outside because of their momentum and he was just too fast back skating and cut off the rush. Once he gets comfortable (this year or next) he will be a top four; maybe top two d-man.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.