HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Nash to LA?

Old
01-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

vCash: 500
I agree. But right now, and for how many years, this team hasnt been getting it done with Nash. I know he brings the casual walk up fan to the Nat but attendance is still low. Not saying star players get "old" to watch, but a failing team does. If we'd fill the team with youth that has actual talent, their is a great chance this team starts to win. And winning, is what brings fans to the arena.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
3. Like it or lump it, Nash is the one and only name that brings the casual fan to Nationwide. Think attendance is an issue? Fill the roster with Calvert, Sesitito, Blunden, etc and walk up sales will plummet further. Not degrading these guys, just saying as a business you need to have a "star" or what the general public sees as a star to draw in casual fans.
You know what draws more fans than a star player? Winning. Consistently. Something we have never done with Nash.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:12 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I realize that a lot of folks say Nash should go. I don't agree for a few reasons, none of them original or earthshattering.

1. Just because he is not a Rah-Rah guy, doesn't mean he doesn't care. I believe he cares A LOT. Just can't be expected to do EVERYTHING this team needs. Night after night he tries to do it all himself and carry this team on his back. A lot to ask of one person, no matter the salary. He looks frustrated to me. As frustrated as you are gonna see Nash show to the public, anyway.

2. I don't get the RJ devotion. I guess it boils down to what you personally think passion looks like. Yep, he gets pissed looking and flies around, but he really isn't getting it done out their either. Not buying that RJ cares more or is the "heart and soul" (over-used expression IMO) of this team. You are seeing what you want to see. Trade him. Sounds like he will bring a pretty good return and is less valuable skill-wise than Nash.

3. Like it or lump it, Nash is the one and only name that brings the casual fan to Nationwide. Think attendance is an issue? Fill the roster with Calvert, Sesitito, Blunden, etc and walk up sales will plummet further. Not degrading these guys, just saying as a business you need to have a "star" or what the general public sees as a star to draw in casual fans.
Look at their point totals. Look at their salaries. Feel bad about yourself. If RJ isn't "getting it done" maybe you can tell me how our Captain is?

RJ has trade value precisely because of the points he's putting up on a struggling team and the passion that he plays with. At a very reasonable salary. Sounds like you're the one seing what you want to see.

Does Nash have more skill? Sure. But how many times have we seen in this league that it isn't just about skill. If it were about skill alone, Dany Heatley and Ilya Kovalchuk would have Cup rings.

I got news for you, Nash may bring out of town fans out to see the Jackets, but the casual fan in Columbus wants a winner. No one, not even Nash, should be untouchable in getting this team to be not just competitive, but a contender. If Rick Nash stays on the team and they fail to make the playoffs for the next 2 seasons, do you think that helps attendance?

I think a lot of our fans think Rick Nash is Mario Lemieux, when he's starting to look more and more like Syl Apps.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
I agree. But right now, and for how many years, this team hasnt been getting it done with Nash. I know he brings the casual walk up fan to the Nat but attendance is still low. Not saying star players get "old" to watch, but a failing team does. If we'd fill the team with youth that has actual talent, their is a great chance this team starts to win. And winning, is what brings fans to the arena.
I understand what I think you were trying to say, which is that we have not gotten it done with Nash alone...and winning does bring out the casual fan ...but...

I'm not dropping $200 a seat to watch rookies, I'm not paying $200 for a jersey with an unknown player's name and number, and I'm not making the drive to watch rookies, even if parking was free.

Despite Jacket performance, Nationwide is sold out when big name talent comes to town.

You trade Nash and we are done. Close the doors and turn out the lights. Over.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
I said this in another thread, but one thing that needs to be taken into account when considering trading Nash is that he's not just a big name, but a big name that wants to play here. He made a commitment for 8 more years, and he'll stay here that long if we let him.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, but whoever's coming back better be here for a while.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:19 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I understand what I think you were trying to say, which is that we have not gotten it done with Nash alone...and winning does bring out the casual fan ...but...

I'm not dropping $200 a seat to watch rookies, I'm not paying $200 for a jersey with an unknown player's name and number, and I'm not making the drive to watch rookies, even if parking was free.

Despite Jacket performance, Nationwide is sold out when big name talent comes to town.

You trade Nash and we are done. Close the doors and turn out the lights. Over.
I couldn't disagree more. This was the same thing causual fans would say about the Reds with Dunn and Jr. Look what happened when they god rid of them. They started winning and the fans started showing up. The ONLY thing that fills arenas is winning.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 01:20 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post
I said this in another thread, but one thing that needs to be taken into account when considering trading Nash is that he's not just a big name, but a big name that wants to play here. He made a commitment for 8 more years, and he'll stay here that long if we let him.

I'm not saying he's untouchable, but whoever's coming back better be here for a while.
I could care less. It is great that Nash did that, but I want the Blue Jackets TO WIN. I would love that to be with Nash on the team, but if Nash needs to be moved for that to happen, then so be it.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:26 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I couldn't disagree more. This was the same thing causual fans would say about the Reds with Dunn and Jr. Look what happened when they god rid of them. They started winning and the fans started showing up. The ONLY thing that fills arenas is winning.

You wanna talk about the Reds? Then let's talk about the Reds. They brought in Griffey Jr. after the players strike to fill the stands. There may be a few of you that love the game so much that you will throw down money to watch a bunch of nobody's but you are not the ones paying the bills. The ones paying the bills are the casual fans who are drawn in by the big names. One quick look around Great American Ballpark and you will see names like Votto on people who cannot even decide if he's gay or not. They just know that he is talked about nationally, he won the NL MVP.

We brought up a guy named Chapman who only threw the fastest pitch EVER. Sure he was unknown talent at the time but we know who he is now. Make a name for yourself, fill the seats.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

You wanna talk about the Reds? Then let's talk about the Reds. They brought in Griffey Jr. after the players strike to fill the stands. There may be a few of you that love the game so much that you will throw down money to watch a bunch of nobody's but you are not the ones paying the bills. The ones paying the bills are the casual fans who are drawn in by the big names. One quick look around Great American Ballpark and you will see names like Votto on people who cannot even decide if he's gay or not. They just know that he is talked about nationally, he won the NL MVP.

We brought up a guy named Chapman who only threw the fastest pitch EVER. Sure he was unknown talent at the time but we know who he is now. Make a name for yourself, fill the seats.
Yeah, and looked how filled those stands were after people realized how bad the Reds were. No one was going to the games, because the Reds were bad. Fans will show up when their team wins.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
CBJCougar

No. There are a lot of people who identify Nash as the face of the team. You remove the face, you remove the identity. You think we have trouble getting players to come here now? Believe it or not Rick Nash is a respected leader in his field. If he walks out of town...coupled with our obvious failure to raise our kids and management issues...there is no future here.

Old
01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not see any reason to trade Rick Nash. We have enought other possibilities, trade Brassard, Vermette, Huselius or our draft picks but not Nash. Nash is a leader the players accept him more from all of them. If we would want trade Nash only for another big personality and an excelent player his qualities. Not draft picks or young players.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:34 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I do not see any reason to trade Rick Nash. We have enought other possibilities, trade Brassard, Vermette, Huselius or our draft picks but not Nash. Nash is a leader the players accept him more from all of them. If we would want trade Nash only for another big personality and an excelent player his qualities. Not draft picks or young players.
Trading Rick Nash would be Tantamount to "Shocking the Hockey World"

That said, with all thats slipped out from Commodore, I would think if Nash were on the move, we'd have heard something a little more from this, unless Nash is a better professional and has just kept his mouth shut, unlike Commie, which isn't too hard to imagine, I guess

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 02:50 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 72
Quote:
No. There are a lot of people who identify Nash as the face of the team.
Every Monday afternoon, I do a 4 hour new hire orientation. Lately we have up to 20 people being hired each week. And every week, I ask if anyone knows who Rick Nash is? Maybe 10% of people know who he is. About 25% know there is an NHL franchise in Ohio. I also get autographed items and auction them off and all proceeds goes to Cancer Charities. The autographed CBJ stuff does not get any bids. Not even Nash stuff. I have to give it away to kids for free.

I think you are way overestimating the CBJ & Nash appeal outside the 270 beltway. You want to fill Nationwide, put a competitive team on the ice.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:00 PM
jetbluejackets

Quote:
No. There are a lot of people who identify Nash as the face of the team. You remove the face, you remove the identity. You think we have trouble getting players to come here now? Believe it or not Rick Nash is a respected leader in his field. If he walks out of town...coupled with our obvious failure to raise our kids and management issues...there is no future here.
Agreed. you say Nash=face, and face=identity, and identity=10 years of futility. So Nash=futility.

Well said, we DO need to change the identity of the team and it starts at the top.

remember the playoff run and how many opposing backup goalies we played during that season? now we can't even beat the backups anymore

Last edited by jetbluejackets: 01-08-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: nostalgia
jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:19 PM
CBJCougar

What I am apparently failing to get across here is that the value of having a face in your franchise is deeper than it appears. Let me spell it out for you and this time I will try harder.

When I go to Nationwide, nothing is free. They want good money for those seats, concessions, even parking. If you want in my wallet, you need to draw me in. That is usually done with a superstar. If I want to watch good players, rookies, struggling/battle to create a winning atmosphere that draws the fans in and creates a NHL legacy, that's fine but you're not getting premium money out of me. Last time I checked, we were in enough trouble financially that we cannot afford to do that.

Now, dangle Nash/Crosby/Ovie, whoever, in front of me and I'm going to part with my money and take pride in the fact that this guy is our face. It gives me bragging rights. Even the casual fan (except those people who come into Krieg's office) can identify him.

The Blue Jackets cannot afford to coast and ride without a face for the franchise. Not in this economy. Not with our record. Not with our media exposure showing the world all of our faults.

Old
01-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
What I am apparently failing to get across here is that the value of having a face in your franchise is deeper than it appears. Let me spell it out for you and this time I will try harder.

When I go to Nationwide, nothing is free. They want good money for those seats, concessions, even parking. If you want in my wallet, you need to draw me in. That is usually done with a superstar. If I want to watch good players, rookies, struggling/battle to create a winning atmosphere that draws the fans in and creates a NHL legacy, that's fine but you're not getting premium money out of me. Last time I checked, we were in enough trouble financially that we cannot afford to do that.

Now, dangle Nash/Crosby/Ovie, whoever, in front of me and I'm going to part with my money and take pride in the fact that this guy is our face. It gives me bragging rights. Even the casual fan (except those people who come into Krieg's office) can identify him.

The Blue Jackets cannot afford to coast and ride without a face for the franchise. Not in this economy. Not with our record. Not with our media exposure showing the world all of our faults.
I wouldnt have a problem with Johansen/Schenn/JJ/Voynov/Moore/Jake/Brass/Nikki being the face. Look what Atlanta did this year. By no means is Nash the cancer that Kovy was but they got a "ok" deal for him and then their GM went out and got players that can win. Thats what this franchise needs. Stop bringing in the talentless scrubs that no one wants and force the players to be expected to be pushed to their limits. We have talent in our young guys, we need to surround them with a winning attitude. Get help in areas we need them and this team would be exciting and overall better to watch. ****ing trade Nash, Howson.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
I wouldnt have a problem with Johansen/Schenn/JJ/Voynov/Moore/Jake/Brass/Nikki being the face. Look what Atlanta did this year. By no means is Nash the cancer that Kovy was but they got a "ok" deal for him and then their GM went out and got players that can win. Thats what this franchise needs. Stop bringing in the talentless scrubs that no one wants and force the players to be expected to be pushed to their limits. We have talent in our young guys, we need to surround them with a winning attitude. Get help in areas we need them and this team would be exciting and overall better to watch. ****ing trade Nash, Howson.
Ok, but how are you gonna hold the fans attention while these guys grow? Are you gonna throw them out on the ice before they are ready? We do that too often already.

You're also assuming that our GM can get players that can win. So far, his record says he can't. We have one premier player who has never had support that he could work with. Trade them to get that support so that we can get to the next level soon. Not 10 more years of mediocre with promises to get better eventually. We need help now.

Old
01-08-2011, 03:33 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

But they can afford to continue to lose? I don't know why this is so hard for you. No one goes to Jackets games. Star players bring in 5%, or less, of the people who go to games. Another small portion go to games just to go. It is just something to do. The MAJORITY of people go to games to be entertained and see a WINNER.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 01-08-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old
01-08-2011, 03:34 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Ok, but how are you gonna hold the fans attention while these guys grow? Are you gonna throw them out on the ice before they are ready? We do that too often already.

You're also assuming that our GM can get players that can win. So far, his record says he can't. We have one premier player who has never had support that he could work with. Trade them to get that support so that we can get to the next level soon. Not 10 more years of mediocre with promises to get better eventually. We need help now.
What fans? No one is going to the games to begin with. You would think, by the way your are talking, we average 18,000 people per game.

Old
01-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

As long as Howson is GM, I am pretty sure Nash won't be traded. Loyalty from both in this situation will trump all else for better or worse.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:41 PM
jetbluejackets

Quote:

Sounds like you want the NHL All-Star games 41 times a year....the only way you get a team full of talent like you say you want is to build it, which the CBJ have not done in 10 seasons.

Trading Nash could yield you the next face of the franchise, along with the nose, ears and possibly the chin as well.

jetbluejackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Doctor Spin

Quote:
Look what Atlanta did this year.
I agree that Atlanta has done a fine job putting a team on ice, but they aren't putting folks in the seats. Their attendance, even when inflated by freebies and no shows, is terrible. CMH area HS basketball games draw bigger crowds.

American sports, like the nation at large, is obsessed with the individual. Pro hockey is entertainment like the Buckeyes, UFC, iPhones, video games, movies, or Jersey Shore. The public wants a star to obsess about, not the ensemble. Not saying I like it, but unfortunately, it is part of entertainment marketing. Particularly, for a marginal team like the CBJ, winning may be necessary for success, but a star for the marginal fan to identify may be necessary for survival.

I'm not arguing that makes Rick Nash a sacred cow, but if he isn't the face of the team, one needs to be identified real quick.

Doctor Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i can't believe ppl let this go....where are you sitting that you're dropping $200 a seat???

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The problem with this club offensively is we need one MORE Nash, not one less.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Spin View Post
I agree that Atlanta has done a fine job putting a team on ice, but they aren't putting folks in the seats. Their attendance, even when inflated by freebies and no shows, is terrible. CMH area HS basketball games draw bigger crowds.

American sports, like the nation at large, is obsessed with the individual. Pro hockey is entertainment like the Buckeyes, UFC, iPhones, video games, movies, or Jersey Shore. The public wants a star to obsess about, not the ensemble. Not saying I like it, but unfortunately, it is part of entertainment marketing. Particularly, for a marginal team like the CBJ, winning may be necessary for success, but a star for the marginal fan to identify may be necessary for survival.

I'm not arguing that makes Rick Nash a sacred cow, but if he isn't the face of the team, one needs to be identified real quick.
The New Jersey Devils felt they needed a face for their franchise. Went out and acquired Ilya Kovalchuk. Let's see how that worked for them...

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

To me, the problem a team like Atlanta suffers is that this is the first season they have been good. And the season isn't over yet so there is always the fear that it collapses. You really have to prime the pump before fans come back. It ain't just a switch that you flick on. Which is why I am so irrate about this team's performance. Our attendance (which, FYI, is only a few hundred better than Atlanta on average) isn't going to dramatically improve overnight. This year's collapse has probably set us back 2 years on rebuilding the STH base.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote