HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how come Desharnais is already getting 14min per game?

Old
01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Toro

vCash: 500
Hilarious....

A guy works his butt off his whole life proving ppl wrong and finally he dominates so much at the second highest level in N.A. that he earns another promotion and this time its the NHL and plays good gets 13min and the fanbase is pissed?

This guy earned everything he has and deserves the shot. Heck, this team needed a spark and went to the well and brought up the best guy period.

and the knocks against his skating are outdated. He skates fine.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:34 PM
DuklaNation

With Gomez & Plekanec locked up for 3 more seasons, you have to wonder why Eller was acquired in the first place. An undersized AHL scorer getting more ice time than Eller just shows you what Martin thinks of Eller. Not much.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
With Gomez & Plekanec locked up for 3 more seasons, you have to wonder why Eller was acquired in the first place. An undersized AHL scorer getting more ice time than Eller just shows you what Martin thinks of Eller. Not much.
B.S.

has nothing to do with anything. do u watch the games?

Old
01-08-2011, 07:59 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Hilarious....

A guy works his butt off his whole life proving ppl wrong and finally he dominates so much at the second highest level in N.A. that he earns another promotion and this time its the NHL and plays good gets 13min and the fanbase is pissed?

This guy earned everything he has and deserves the shot. Heck, this team needed a spark and went to the well and brought up the best guy period.

and the knocks against his skating are outdated. He skates fine.
Don't even bother. A lot of Desharnais bashers made up their opinions reading scouting reports 3 years ago and are too stubborn to change it. He's a small player from Quebec, therefore he must suck and is there only because of his heritage. They'll complain that he gets 14 minutes per game but never noticed or cared that Pacioretty often gets 14 to 16 minutes too (and him getting this icetime is great, btw). I disagree with the way they handle Eller (and think he should get tons of icetime in Hamilton for a while) but hating on someone because of it is completely ********.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Don't even bother. A lot of Desharnais bashers made up their opinions reading scouting reports 3 years ago and are too stubborn to change it. He's a small player from Quebec, therefore he must suck and is there only because of his heritage. They'll complain that he gets 14 minutes per game but never noticed or cared that Pacioretty often gets 14 to 16 minutes too (and him getting this icetime is great, btw).
The knock on his skating seems to be quite over stated imo. He seems like a good skater to me. Not lightning quick or anything, but more than adequate. Strength is a concern of mine. The fact we're extremely small and soft to begin makes it even worse. If we a bigger team his size/strength wouldn't bother me as much.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Don't even bother. A lot of Desharnais bashers made up their opinions reading scouting reports 3 years ago and are too stubborn to change it. He's a small player from Quebec, therefore he must suck and is there only because of his heritage. They'll complain that he gets 14 minutes per game but never noticed or cared that Pacioretty often gets 14 to 16 minutes too (and him getting this icetime is great, btw). I disagree with the way they handle Eller (and think he should get tons of icetime in Hamilton for a while) but hating on someone because of it is completely ********.
Exactly, thx for finishing my post. LOL

Old
01-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Do we actually have a thread complaining that a young player is getting too much ice time???

Rookies are always overhyped on these boards. Desharnais might be the first "underhyped" rookie ever here!
Well, it's not "complaining" per se. Before I saw this thread I was thinking the same thing... I mean, I love Desharnais too. Most of us do, don't we? But it struck me as kind of weird too... in the sense of just trying to figure out where the double standards are at, if there's even an attempt at meritocracy here, or if there are other factors at play.

Eller is bigger, can do (and does) more physically, seems to have a pretty solid 2-way upside, even if the occasional rookie mistake manifests. Whereas Desharnais blew coverage on a goal in his first game, and still hasn't looked very good in that aspect to me yet, where other young players have been hammered mercilessly on that issue.

I mean, it's too early to do more than raise an eyebrow yet. I like Desharnais and would like to see him continue with the same utilization he currently has. I like Eller too, though... and can't help raising the eyebrow. Not complaining. Just wondering.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:00 PM
MoonlightGraham

Desharnais had a great game tonight. His line was the best of the team for most of the game...

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Emanresu Wen

in no way this is a bashing thread

I was just comparing ice time between DD and Eller

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 09:28 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
Desharnais had a great game tonight. His line was the best of the team for most of the game...
huh... I know everyone would love for him to succeed but come on... he made ONE good play on the GWG, and while he did it right, it's a BASIC play even 4th liners do from time to time.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:33 PM
DuklaNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
B.S.

has nothing to do with anything. do u watch the games?
Go back over the history of the NHL last 20 yrs. How many undersized players have had a meaningful impact who dont have above average speed? Not many right. Wonder why? I watch more games than you obviously. If you want mediocrity, thats fine. If you want to win the Cup, you dont bother with players like Desharnais. Only coaches who want to create a perception of hope and to prolong their careers do that.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I've never seen anyone happier that the habs scored in ot than Desharnais when they did.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Go back over the history of the NHL last 20 yrs. How many undersized players have had a meaningful impact who dont have above average speed? Not many right. Wonder why? I watch more games than you obviously. If you want mediocrity, thats fine. If you want to win the Cup, you dont bother with players like Desharnais. Only coaches who want to create a perception of hope and to prolong their careers do that.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 01-08-2011 at 11:00 PM.
DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Desharnais is not slow ! Moreover, what tells you he won't take powerskating this summer ? He has good top speed. A little more acceleration would be nice, but he's still on par with other NHL players, and not the slow ones.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Nidema

Desharnais was great tonight and last game. Thought his line generated a lot of chances and he was a part of that.

Hopes he keeps it up. A bit too early to make an accurate assessment of his NHL viability.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Turboflex*

Why does DD get 14 min?? Cuz he is PRODUCING

I am not some pepper st jean baptiste societe type who thinks only quebecois should wear the CH, AND I like Eller's game, he is VERY strong on the puck, and has a flair to his game that one day will make him a very effective player, but the fact is that the Habs' desperately need offence, rookie Eller has 6 points in 38 gp, while DD's french-canadian line hasbeen critical in all 3 games he has been up.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:11 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Well, Desharnais is playing better...

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Boardish

Desharnais might not be as fast as St-Louis, but he is FAR from being slow in my opinion. He is way faster than Corey Locke by the way.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Darth Joker

I truly think that we're showcasing him for a trade.

DD has done and learned everything that he's going to at the AHL level. It's now or never for him at this point, when it comes to becoming an NHLer. However, because our team is so undersized as it is...

I think that the hope is that DD catches some other GM's eye, and it can help us make a good trade involving him.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:38 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Desharnais might not be as fast as St-Louis, but he is FAR from being slow in my opinion. He is way faster than Corey Locke by the way.
While true, at his size he needs to be more than average or just slightly above average.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:48 AM
coolasprICE

I'm not sold on Desh at center.

I still think he's better off, considering that the NHL is faster than AHL, at wing.

I'd like to see how this line would work : Desh - Eller - Pouliot

Ak - Plek - Cammy
Pac - Gom - Gio
Moen - Halp - Darche / Pyatt

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:59 AM
Toro

Quote:

Don't give me this crap.

Watch DD play then buddy. There is way too many experts here who have not even watched said players much at all and they have the book on em.

This guy is not just a good small player with average speed who will not make a difference. I have seen a lot of him and really like his upside. So does Max Pac. Even called DD the best player he has ever played with. Then quickly tried to change it to in the AHL or something. Give the guy a chance before you guys write him off as a small useless player with average speed.

Also I doubt very much u watch much more than me if at all. I watch way too much, more than anyone I know personally. anyway doesn't matter. your point is BS and outdated.

Last edited by Toro: 01-09-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old
01-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
And I bet I watch more games than you. That's a dumb argument because it literally can't be proven.

And go back only to post lockout. Anytime before that bares little meaning.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

desharnais did a great job on the pk in terms of putting pressure on the point man.

Its an element of his game that has taken me by surprise.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:40 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not that I would be for it, but Kost+Eller free up 4.5M, and we are set to have about 30M in free cap space. We'd have the room for Iginla.
If the Habs trade Eller for Iggy I'll eat my own shorts. Stupid suggestion. A big rangy and talented, fairly tough young center, who will be better than Pleks in 3 years, for an aging vet with about 2 decent years left.

And why bother? Iggy ain't going to win us a cup.

Get real. Monumentally stupid idea.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote