HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Redden's partner on D

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2004, 12:52 PM
punkorama

vCash: 500
Redden's partner on D

Everyone on these boards has said one of our needs is a D partner for Redden. If i remember right Sens want a right hand shot to be that partner. Not sure if the Sens are looking for offensive talent or a defensive shut down guy, but here are a few names i think might be owrth considering, mainly just following the right hand shot criteria.

Brian Rafalski - If NJ is thinking about dealing Niedermeyer would they deal Rafalski and keep Nieds?

Adrian Aucoin - Isles have a Backlog of talented Dmen, and have said one will probably get moved.

Ric Jackman - Didn't play well at the beginning of the season, but played well in Pit once he was getting more ice time. Would they move him?

Brent Sopel - Have heard on these boards Vancouver might try to move him for a linemate for the Sedins. While i dont think we can give them that, it does sound like he is available. Not the best defensively, but not terrible either.

Would the Sens have any interest and do we have what these teams would be looking for?

Last edited by punkorama: 06-24-2004 at 01:00 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old
06-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Dennis Vial

Out of all the names you mentioned I like either Jackman or Sopel the most. But in all honesty, I don't believe defense is our issue right now. I'd pay more attention too the goaltending situation and finding a 1st line left winger.

Old
06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
punkorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vial
Out of all the names you mentioned I like either Jackman or Sopel the most. But in all honesty, I don't believe defense is our issue right now. I'd pay more attention too the goaltending situation and finding a 1st line left winger.

I Agree those are our biggest concerns, along with a #1 Center, but they are also going to be the positions hardest to fill. I merely was thinking that these are a few players that could be had for less than Havlat. If Havlat is the only thing that will land a 1st line LW I dont care about getting one. Havlat in the future and maybe even the next ragular season will be more valueable than anyone we can bring in. Goaltending i dont see anyone out there that will be an upgrade over Lalime. He's not up to playing in the playoffs, for some reason, true. But why go out and get a guy that is not up to playing in the regular season. If we want to take a chance on Hasek thats fine by me. I dont want to see us go out and get a Weekes type Goalie. Yes he's different but i dont think better.

Old
06-24-2004, 02:32 PM
7bucs

Eeek, I don't like Ric Jackman at all. Dime a dozen for guys like that. Pothier > Jackman. If they can get Sopel from Vancouver that would be nice. Not sure the Sens are a good trading partner for them, though.

Old
06-24-2004, 02:54 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkorama
I Agree those are our biggest concerns, along with a #1 Center, but they are also going to be the positions hardest to fill. I merely was thinking that these are a few players that could be had for less than Havlat. If Havlat is the only thing that will land a 1st line LW I dont care about getting one. Havlat in the future and maybe even the next ragular season will be more valueable than anyone we can bring in. Goaltending i dont see anyone out there that will be an upgrade over Lalime. He's not up to playing in the playoffs, for some reason, true. But why go out and get a guy that is not up to playing in the regular season. If we want to take a chance on Hasek thats fine by me. I dont want to see us go out and get a Weekes type Goalie. Yes he's different but i dont think better.
Geez, Weekes is getting no love in here.

Am I the only one that sees some nice stats on a very weak team? Put him behind the defence of the Sens and he will be even better. 2.33 GAA .921 Save % for the 'Canes! I'll take that. I hope nobody was happy with Lalime's season, he had 2.29 GAA .905 Save %. Weekes had better stats on a much worse team. Oh well, I will hope to see Weekes acquired.

Old
06-24-2004, 02:58 PM
chara

Don't give up on de Vries, Pothier or Volchenkov.

Chemistry between defence partners occasionally takes time. Not every pairing hit it off immediately like McCabe and Leetch did for the Leafs; more of that was Leetch is an elite NHL defender.

IMO, a full training camp will really benefit Wade and his new partner.
I could easily see Volchenkov step into the number 4 role if I had to pick though.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:09 PM
punkorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
Geez, Weekes is getting no love in here.

Am I the only one that sees some nice stats on a very weak team? Put him behind the defence of the Sens and he will be even better. 2.33 GAA .921 Save % for the 'Canes! I'll take that. I hope nobody was happy with Lalime's season, he had 2.29 GAA .905 Save %. Weekes had better stats on a much worse team. Oh well, I will hope to see Weekes acquired.

Not that i dont think Weekes had a good season last year, i just dont think he is that much of an upgrade over Lalime. Why give up a piece of the team to get a different goalie that plays just as well as the one you already have? I personally like Lalime though and think he just needs to toughen up. Don't see him sticking around but oh, well.

If Weekes came over as a free agent i would be fine giving him a shot. I am just dreading some deal that brings O'neill and weekes to Ottawa, cuz i believe we'll have to send them something along the lines of Havlat and Volchenkov
I dont want to see that happen.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:30 PM
BBB

If you are looking for a RH shooting dman who is young and inexpensive how about......Karel Racoooooonek?!?!
( Sorry...)
Out of your list I wouldn't see Jackman being available (nice and cheap for Pitt) and Rafalski, Aucoin and Sopel (to a lesser degree) would take a lot to acquire.
RH shooting dman seem to be few and far between. How about Ivan Majesky on Atlanta - could we turn him into the next Big Z?

Old
06-24-2004, 03:43 PM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkorama
If Weekes came over as a free agent i would be fine giving him a shot. I am just dreading some deal that brings O'neill and weekes to Ottawa, cuz i believe we'll have to send them something along the lines of Havlat and Volchenkov
I dont want to see that happen.
Weekes is a Group II free agent this year, Carolina has to give him a qualifying offer, since they just traded for Gerber I don't see that happening, especially with Cam Ward in their system. If they don't offer Weekes a contract by June 30th, he will become an unrestricted free agent, and the Sens can step in and sign him.

If a Group II Free Agent does not receive a qualifying offer from his current club by June 30, he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

A qualifying offer is defined as a 10% salary increase for players making below the NHL average salary, or the same salary as the previous season for players making above the NHL average salary.

Old
06-24-2004, 09:33 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Whats Weekes' salary, surely they will qualify him. I think he is an interesting idea too, he sure played a great game against us last year.

Surely Volchenkov will crack the top 4 this year. Its time. Reddens partner must already be on the team

Old
06-24-2004, 11:22 PM
Bileur

I thought Majesky was already pretty old..

Anyways out of the guys on your list I would definetly take Aucoin, hometown-boy and a workhorse on D

Old
06-25-2004, 08:12 AM
littleHossa

Redden-Aucoin *drool* I'm thinking he would be kept in Long Island, even though he's due for a raise, would a deal like this work?

Devries
Vermette

for

Aucoin
3nd rounder

Old
06-25-2004, 08:46 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
Whats Weekes' salary, surely they will qualify him. I think he is an interesting idea too, he sure played a great game against us last year.

Surely Volchenkov will crack the top 4 this year. Its time. Reddens partner must already be on the team
He made $2.35M last season. I don't know what the average league salary is, but I would imagine that Weekes was above the average, so the Canes would be required to offer him $2.35M for next season. I still don't think it is likely to happen with Gerber acquired and Cam Ward in the minors ready to come up. I think Weekes will be involved in some sort of trade...

A qualifying offer is defined as a 10% salary increase for players making below the NHL average salary, or the same salary as the previous season for players making above the NHL average salary.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:09 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
Redden-Aucoin *drool* I'm thinking he would be kept in Long Island, even though he's due for a raise, would a deal like this work?

Devries
Vermette

for

Aucoin
3nd rounder
I can guarantee you that Vermette will not be traded anytime soon..so this offer would never ever happen.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:31 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa

Devries
Vermette

for

Aucoin
3nd rounder
Aucoin is a hell of a player but no thanks.

how badly do we really need the potential Dman to be a righty?

Old
06-25-2004, 10:00 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Aucoin is a hell of a player but no thanks.

how badly do we really need the potential Dman to be a righty?
Agreed. I don't like dealing DeVries, personally.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
Agreed. I don't like dealing DeVries, personally.
I dont mind dealing de Vries because allthough I think he'll be better next year than in the end of the year/playoffs he costs too much. But I REALLY dont like the idea of dealing Vermette.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:33 AM
r19

we need a right handed defensemen

Old
06-25-2004, 10:34 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r19
we need a right handed defensemen
For what?

Old
06-25-2004, 10:40 AM
Bileur

If we didnt need him to be right handed i'd like anyone from this list (I wont put in the obvious but too expensive players to trade for aka Foote, Pronger...)

Witt
Mckee
Carney
Smith
Sutton (lesser extent)
Norstrom
Zhitnik

Old
06-25-2004, 10:45 AM
r19

since trading rachunek and hnidy we only have one right handed shooter in brian pothier.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:53 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Phillips and Chara will be probably be toghether, so other than that likelihood, it's really up to Murray to determine what the best mix of Redden, Volchenkov, Pothier and de Vries is. I'm sure they'll try many different combo's, but it would be nice to see Redden develop some chemistry with someone. My best is Pothier, but either Anton or de Vries could work.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:54 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r19
since trading rachunek and hnidy we only have one right handed shooter in brian pothier.
So? You take the most talented and most valuable. Why would you take a lesser defenceman just because he shoots right handed?

Old
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Murphy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I can guarantee you that Vermette will not be traded anytime soon..so this offer would never ever happen.
That's definetly true, but it's about the right value to obtain Aucoin.

Old
06-25-2004, 11:03 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph_man15
That's definetly true, but it's about the right value to obtain Aucoin.
It all depends on the needs of the Islanders. Aucoin could be had for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects.

Closed Thread