HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden's partner on D

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 12:15 PM
Dennis Vial

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7bucs
It all depends on the needs of the Islanders. Aucoin could be had for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects.
I like the thought of Aucoin, but my personal opinion about Pothier is to move him and move him now. Maybe I'm the only one, but I think he's horrible. He's undersized and half the time that he's on the ice he looks clueless. There were more than couple occasions in this years playoffs where he cost a goal.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:04 PM
SENSational

Quote:
Geez, Weekes is getting no love in here.

Am I the only one that sees some nice stats on a very weak team? Put him behind the defence of the Sens and he will be even better. 2.33 GAA .921 Save % for the 'Canes! I'll take that. I hope nobody was happy with Lalime's season, he had 2.29 GAA .905 Save %. Weekes had better stats on a much worse team. Oh well, I will hope to see Weekes acquired.

OMG thats exact goalie that just popped in my head. GET WEEKES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And also I would be extremely happy if we got Aucoin

Old
06-26-2004, 05:28 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
So? You take the most talented and most valuable. Why would you take a lesser defenceman just because he shoots right handed?
It's not necessarily about a defenceman who shoots right (although that would good), but it would be nice to have a defenceman who can play on the right side without his game dropping off significantly. Both Volchenkov and de Vries are much stronger on the left side. Pothier is not a top-4 defenceman.

I guess we're stuck with all of Redden, Phillips, Volchenkov and de Vries all in the top 6, none of whom are very good on the right. We'll just have to hope Volchenkov or de Vries improves, because I don't see us trading any of them.

Old
06-26-2004, 06:10 AM
VanCanuck

maybe we draft a big d-man. that would be useful.

Old
06-27-2004, 05:50 PM
J.T

Does anybody know if they are gonna keep Simpson or Leschyshyn?

Old
06-28-2004, 06:49 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleHossa
Redden-Aucoin *drool* I'm thinking he would be kept in Long Island, even though he's due for a raise, would a deal like this work?

Devries
Vermette

for

Aucoin
3nd rounder

the whole point of moving 30 yr old Aucoin,would be to put his salary towards the other rfas Hamrlik and Niinimaa.

Isles would not be in the mix for 31 yr old De vries and his $4.2m salary.

Old
06-28-2004, 06:58 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
It all depends on the needs of the Islanders. Aucoin could be had for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects.
and this belief that Aucoin could be for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects, is based on what?

The league still is watered down,over expanded with 30 teams,most of whom are looking for quality defensemen.

I think Aucoin's trade value could well end up being determined by whether the new cba has a luxury tax.The same 4-5 high spending teams that tossed money around under the old cba,will continue to spend under the new cba,but just pay a luxury tax and it would be one of those teams I'd expect Aucoin to be dealt to.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:30 AM
7bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
and this belief that Aucoin could be for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects, is based on what?
Salary, CBA uncertainty, the Sens have some prospects or young players they can trade...just to name a few.

Old
06-29-2004, 09:23 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Salary, CBA uncertainty, the Sens have some prospects or young players they can trade...just to name a few.

I'm not saying I don't think Aucoin will be dealt.My disagreement is the return.

The return would depend on a few things that we can't predict:a luxury tax,how many quality defensemen are available this summer and whether Aucoin would prefer the security of a longterm deal at a team friendly salary,over becoming a ufa with a cap in place.

And while the Isles have key rfa to sign,so do the Sens(Chara,Phillips,Havlat).

Old
06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
7bucs

Quote:
I'm not saying I don't think Aucoin will be dealt.My disagreement is the return.

The return would depend on a few things that we can't predict:a luxury tax,how many quality defensemen are available this summer and whether Aucoin would prefer the security of a longterm deal at a team friendly salary,over becoming a ufa with a cap in place.
Agreed.

Aucoin could be had for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects.

Old
06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Agreed.

Aucoin could be had for draft picks alone or a package of lesser known prospects.

Two of the big market teams (Leafs and Rangers),have expressed interest in aquiring Pronger despite his $9.5m salary.That's a pretty good indicator that some big market teams are expecting a luxury tax,that some teams will still spend and that quality defensemen are still sought after.

as for the Sens aquiring Aucoin......Sens have roughly $28m tied up in contracts,but still have 6 rfas to sign.3 are key rfas (Chara,Havlat and Phillips).

SLAM's reported that Chara could get as much as $5m in arbitration.
If Chara gets a large arbitration award,Philips and Havalt could be tough signings.It's very unlikely the Sens end up with Aucoin.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Ottawa...29/518140.html

The Senators likely won't be big players on the free-agent market. They have $28 million committed in salary and they've got plenty of signings to make this summer. The Senators will send qualifying offers to Zdeno Chara, Martin Havlat, Chris Phillips, Brian Pothier, Martin Prusek, Peter Schaefer and Vaclav Varada. Six of those players -- the exception is Havlat --have the right to file for arbitration, but Varada, Pothier and Prusek likely won't.

A league source told the Sun that Chara could be awarded more than $5 million in arbitration.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:20 PM
operasen

Sean O'Donnell is UFA. He could fill the bill and then some. Volchenkov could also fillin there, although not a Right shot (I believe) he hits a ton and has a heavy shot.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:25 PM
rebedom

Although a right shooting defenseman would certainly help they also need a tough gritty defenseman to protect Redden when guys take liberties with him. If he is our most important defenseman than we better protect him, something Jacques never understood but something Murray does.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:29 PM
littleHossa

The reality is that if you could get a potential 30 goal scorer who's cheap and young for one of your top 4, you would do it. I guess that making fair/fairer deals than all of the homer ones really make no difference, the Isles fans would still reject this deal without thinking twice, how are your wingers in Long Island?

Of course, the deal not taking place from the Sens point of view is another thing, but we can discuss that ourselves within Sens fans.

Old
06-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Isles would not be in the mix for 31 yr old De vries and his $4.2m salary.
Though this doesn't invalidate your point, De Vries' contract declines in value every year. He did make 4.2 mil in 03-04, but he's making something around 3 mil for the next two seasons.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:21 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Though this doesn't invalidate your point, De Vries' contract declines in value every year. He did make 4.2 mil in 03-04, but he's making something around 3 mil for the next two seasons.

Whether De vries makes $4.2m or $3m,I don't see the isles interested.They'd want much cheaper and younger talent back.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Bileur

Quote:
Whether De vries makes $4.2m or $3m,I don't see the isles interested.They'd want much cheaper and younger talent back.
Who cares we are talking about Redden's partner not NYI's trade interests. People are just saying Redden-Aucoin would be sweet if we could get him for a reasonable price. Plus I know de Vries makes a lot but Vermette is a top prospect and would probably attract the NYI's interest.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Who cares we are talking about Redden's partner not NYI's trade interests. People are just saying Redden-Aucoin would be sweet if we could get him for a reasonable price. Plus I know de Vries makes a lot but Vermette is a top prospect and would probably attract the NYI's interest.

Since Aucoin would come in a trade and not as a ufa,then the isles interest De vries (a major part of the trade), would matter.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Since Aucoin would come in a trade and not as a ufa,then the isles interest De vries (a major part of the trade), would matter.
Point is someone made a proposition, you spend around 5-6 posts dismantling it, make a counter-offer if its so important its more constructive.

BTW de Vries is how its spelled (pet peeve )

Old
06-30-2004, 01:07 PM
chara

Quote:
Mad Mike is an idiot BUT Aucoin is an absolute beast on the Island. He logs close to 30 minutes a games, plays QB on the powerplay, usually plays against the other team's best players, etc. Why Aucoin never gets consideration for the Norris is beyond me, probably because the Rangers and Devils get all the press in the NY-NJ area?

He is an underrated d-man who you come to appreciate when you watch him confidently handle a game. Aucoin isn't going anywhere but if he does, I would absolutely love it if it were Ottawa.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:38 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
Point is someone made a proposition, you spend around 5-6 posts dismantling it, make a counter-offer if its so important its more constructive.

BTW de Vries is how its spelled (pet peeve )
I bet De Vries is also spelled with a capital D too?

I don't know enough about the Sens prospects to make a counteroffer.I do know that if Aucoin's dealt,the Isles will want cheap,young talent back.

Old
07-01-2004, 07:08 AM
SENS_FAN_09

Send a message via MSN to SENS_FAN_09
If they want young (but not much talent) give them Pothier! (which will not happen..)

Old
07-01-2004, 02:54 PM
Bileur

Quote:
I bet De Vries is also spelled with a capital D too?

I don't know enough about the Sens prospects to make a counteroffer.I do know that if Aucoin's dealt,the Isles will want cheap,young talent back.
Actually it is a lower-case d, weird.

de Vries

Old
07-02-2004, 10:05 AM
chara

Alexei Zhitnik

Zhits just turned down a long-term deal to return to Buffalo.

Mucks and Zhits go way back. Mucks brought him to the Sabres in 94. Zhits is an offensive defenceman playing on a very defensive team. Mucks wants to open it up and Zhits' cannon and tape-to-tape passing would be an excellent fit in Ottawa. Plus he would look great QBing the 2nd unit PP.

Reds would learn a lot playing with Zhits. Plus he has 12 years NHL experience and is only 31.

Old
07-02-2004, 10:22 AM
N Bahn Ahden

To bad Zhitnik's agent is Mark Gandler. That doesn't have a great track record with the Sens (Yashin, Rachunek).

Closed Thread