HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs mid-season report cards

Old
01-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Habs mid-season report cards

With half the season played already, itís time to hand out report cards to the players, coaches and DG of the Montreal Canadiens.

FORWARDS:

#11 Ė Scott Gomez: C

Very slow start to the season for Gomez. Although heís picked up his game since December, he may not reach the 50 points plateau this season. Whether we take his salary into consideration or not, itís just not enough. Second worse -/- on the team at -7.

#13 Ė Michael Cammalleri: B-

Twelve goals for him arenít enough and he needs no one to remind him. We feel him tensed and heís gripping the stick very tight. But he can have a couple of multi-goals games to get him back on track.

#14 Ė Tomas Plekanec: A

In spite of slowing down a bit lately, Plekanec has been, with Price, the Habsí best player in the first half of the season. Letís just hope that Jacques Martin doesnít exhaust him, especially in defensive roles, and that Plekanec still has enough energy for when it really counts.

Click here to read the rest, including players, coaches and DG.

What are your grades for them?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Some didn't start the second half on the right foot...

Old
01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
With half the season played already, itís time to hand out report cards to the players, coaches and DG of the Montreal Canadiens.

FORWARDS:

#11 Ė Scott Gomez: C

Very slow start to the season for Gomez. Although heís picked up his game since December, he may not reach the 50 points plateau this season. Whether we take his salary into consideration or not, itís just not enough. Second worse -/- on the team at -7.

#13 Ė Michael Cammalleri: B-

Twelve goals for him arenít enough and he needs no one to remind him. We feel him tensed and heís gripping the stick very tight. But he can have a couple of multi-goals games to get him back on track.

#14 Ė Tomas Plekanec: A

In spite of slowing down a bit lately, Plekanec has been, with Price, the Habsí best player in the first half of the season. Letís just hope that Jacques Martin doesnít exhaust him, especially in defensive roles, and that Plekanec still has enough energy for when it really counts.

I think you are overrating the impact of Groulx on Price's play. If anybody should get credit for that it's Halak...showing what hard work and dedication can do...Carey had no choice but to step up and take his craft more seriously.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think you are overrating the impact of Groulx on Price's play. If anybody should get credit for that it's Halak...showing what hard work and dedication can do...Carey had no choice but to step up and take his craft more seriously.
On the mental aspect, I agree. I'd even add the arrival of Auld.

But on the physical and technical side of it, Groulx has a lot to do with Price getting back to his old style.

Old
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
With half the season played already, it’s time to hand out report cards to the players, coaches and DG of the Montreal Canadiens.

FORWARDS:

#11 – Scott Gomez: C

Very slow start to the season for Gomez. Although he’s picked up his game since December, he may not reach the 50 points plateau this season. Whether we take his salary into consideration or not, it’s just not enough. Second worse -/- on the team at -7.

#13 – Michael Cammalleri: B-

Twelve goals for him aren’t enough and he needs no one to remind him. We feel him tensed and he’s gripping the stick very tight. But he can have a couple of multi-goals games to get him back on track.

#14 – Tomas Plekanec: A

In spite of slowing down a bit lately, Plekanec has been, with Price, the Habs’ best player in the first half of the season. Let’s just hope that Jacques Martin doesn’t exhaust him, especially in defensive roles, and that Plekanec still has enough energy for when it really counts.

I dispute your assigning Eller the same grade as Pouliot. Pouliot has been much better. If you won't give Pouliot at least a C+ then Eller should be given a C- or D+ based on his actual contribution. Compare their stats in every offensive and defesnive category and you'll see you're romanticizing Eller. I also think you're underrating Pacioretty. he's been a factor in the recent improvement of Gomez and Gionta.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 01-09-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I dispute your assigning Eller the same grade as Pouliot. Pouliot has been much better. If you won't give Pouliot at least a C+ then Eller should be given a C- or D+ based on his proven contribution.
I'd give Pouillot a B- and Eller a D+

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I dispute your assigning Eller the same grade as Pouliot. Pouliot has been much better. If you won't give Pouliot at least a C+ then Eller should be given a C- or D+ based on his actual contribution. Compare their stats in every offensive and defesnive category and you'll see you're romanticizing Eller. I also think you're underrating Pacioretty. he's been a factor in the recent improvement of Gomez and Gionta.
The thing is that I'm basing the grades on the expectations that I had of them coming in. To me, Pouliot is a bigger disappointment than Eller, who has little NHL experience.

As for Pacioretty, considering that that he played few games and cooled off after a flying start is contributing (remembering that last night's game doesn't count).

Old
01-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Alex Picard F

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Forwards
Mike Cammalleri -> B- (disappointing season so far, despite the point total. Lacking confidence/finish, and at times, effort)
Mathieu Darche -> A (nothing more you can ask of him, a gem)
Lars Eller -> D (I like Eller and what he brings to the table, but he's just not ready for primetime)
Scott Gomez -> C+ (very slow start, seems to be back into his groove now)
Brian Gionta -> A- (maybe not at the same pace he was going at last year, but still solid and dependable)
Jeff Halpern -> B (great start, came back down to earth and producing more like the grinder he is)
Andrei Kostitsyn -> B- (hot start, cooled off. Has reverted to his inconsistent ways, sadly)
Travis Moen -> C- (does not hit nearly enough, lacks any edge this season whatsoever)
Max Pacioretty -> B (nothing spectacular, but he's grown leaps and bounds since his draft year)
Tomas Plekanec -> A (would be an A+ had he not slown down recently, our best player in the 1st half)
Benoit Pouliot -> B (oozing talent is not being utilized properly, confidence issues)
Tom Pyatt -> D (nothing going for him, speedy and shifty, but that's about it)

Hal Gill -> C (Useful on the PK, average for the most part everywhere else, gets beat on the rush way too often)
Josh Gorges -> B+ (torn ACL since his rookie year, unreal)
Roman Hamrlik -> B (streaky, but the most reliable defenseman we've got)
Alex Picard -> F (I'd give him even lower if I could. Get this turd off the team already)
Jaroslav Spacek -> C- (a loose cannon waiting to implode)
PK Subban -> B (a little overzealous at times, needs to mature a bit more on the ice, which he will do as he gains experience)
Yannick Weber -> C (disappointed. Had high hopes this would the year Weber shows he's clearly an NHL caliber defenseman, can't say that I'm sold just yet)
James Wisniewski -> A (the odd defensive gaffe does nothing to diminish his impact on this team)

Carey Price -> A- (We've seen this before with Price, this kind of dominance, now to see if he can keep it up for a full year)
Alex Auld -> A (should be playing more, a lot more)

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
76ftw

Quote:
Hal Gill -> C (Useful on the PK, average for the most part everywhere else, gets beat on the rush way too often)
Uhhh he's also huge with his leadership.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

For those who don't want to click the link.

Quote:
With half the season played already, it’s time to hand out report cards to the players, coaches and DG of the Montreal Canadiens.

FORWARDS:

#11 – Scott Gomez: C

Very slow start to the season for Gomez. Although he’s picked up his game since December, he may not reach the 50 points plateau this season. Whether we take his salary into consideration or not, it’s just not enough. Second worse +/- on the team at -7.

#13 – Michael Cammalleri: B-

Twelve goals for him aren’t enough and he needs no one to remind him. We feel him tensed and he’s gripping the stick very tight. But he can have a couple of multi-goals games to get him back on track.

#14 – Tomas Plekanec: A

In spite of slowing down a bit lately, Plekanec has been, with Price, the Habs’ best player in the first half of the season. Let’s just hope that Jacques Martin doesn’t exhaust him, especially in defensive roles, and that Plekanec still has enough energy for when it really counts.

#15 – Jeff Halpern: B-

After an excellent start to the season (making me regret my words), Halpern has come back down to earth for a couple of months now. However, still a good grade mostly due to his faceoff percentage.

#21 – Brian Gionta: B

Fourteen goals so far, so on pace for 25-30 goals for the season, is excellent especially considering that he couldn’t buy a goal for the longest time in the first part of the season.

#32 – Travis Moen: C

I thought about giving him an even worse grade, but his defensive play saves him here. I’m a big fan of Moen but he simply doesn’t hit, doesn’t score and seem disinterested this season. I would have liked for our GM to get him some help instead of trading away Lapierre, the only other one that hits. I’m convinced that he’d be more physical if he had a few more players doing it.

#46 – Andrei Kostitsyn: C+

In the first part of the season, I would have given him an A but he since has returned to hibernation unfortunately. I have a feeling that his days are numbered in Montreal. It sure isn’t the talent that’s lacking!

#52 – Mathieu Darche: B+

What else can we ask of Darche, really? Six goals, a +6 rating, a player who leaves it all on the ice every game he plays. He’s fulfilling his role.

#57 – Benoit Pouliot: C

I’m disappointed. When I learned that he worked on gaining weight and getting his legs stronger this summer, I was expecting him to have a breakthrough season. He did show what he can do. Is it because of the way he’s being utilised? I think that it’s part of it for sure.

#58 – David Desharnais: -

Way too soon to evaluate him at the big league level.

#67 – Max Pacioretty: B-

After a good start, he has slowed down quite a bit. I would love for him to be able to finish the season in Hamilton, for his own development in a bigger role. He has what it takes to succeed.

#81 – Lars Eller: C

He did show some good aptitudes, but he’s also inconsistent, which comes with his inexperience and his young age. I’m seriously asking myself if he will get wasted by Jacques Martin over time.

#94 – Tom Pyatt: D

Sorry but he doesn’t have his place there. Good speed and that’s all. To think that Lapierre is gone.

DEFENSEMEN:

#6 – Jaroslav Spacek: C+

It would have been worse had he not picked up his game lately! What a rough start to the season. But he’s coming around slowly. He’s aging and it’s starting to show a lot.

#20 – James Wisniewski: A

It’s early but I like what he brings to the table, in hope that he can keep it up. I’ve read that Pierre Gauthier wants to sign him to an extension. With Hamrlik and Gill becoming UFA, I second that motion.

#26 – Josh Gorges: A

Is there a player in the NHL tougher than him? The guy is so good defensively and to do it on one knee for all those years? Wow! Come back healthy Josh!

#44 – Roman Hamrlik: B+

With Markov’s injury, Hamrlik was arguably the best defenseman in the first half of the season. He did fill in well last year as well during Markov’s injury but ran out of juice in the second half. Here’s hoping that the coach doesn’t make the same mistake this time around.

#45 – Alexandre Picard: B

In order to better rate him, one must look at the expectations. I wasn’t expecting him to make the team, so to see him with 3 goals and a +3 rating on a team struggling to score goals is quite respectable and that, in spite of his play not being as good lately.

#68 – Yannick Weber: C+

After two good games when Martin decided to punish Subban, Weber is showing that it’s a big step between the AHL and the NHL. He has a lot to learn and with Gorges out for the season, I’m hoping that the Habs get a veteran defenseman so that Weber can finish the season in Hamilton.

#75 – Hal Gill: C+

We know that Gill isn’t known for his regular season, but for his playoffs’ performances. We must however worry a bit about his team worst -8 rating, but taking into consideration that the team simply doesn’t score.

#76 – PK Subban: B-

Like Price, Subban had a difficult month of December. He’s young however and he’s in a learning stage. I really like his style, his arrogance and his swagger. He will have to cut back on stupid penalties though.

#79 – Andrei Markov: -

I didn’t rate him out of respect. Coming back from yet another injury, I found him to be slow and not very reliable defensively. I’m very worried that his (legs) injuries will contribute to the fact that we may never see the old Markov again. I’m worried about the contract that the team will offer him, a contract that could come back to haunt the team.

GOALTENDERS:

#31 – Carey Price: A

The Halak trade has put a whole lot of pressure on our young goalie and up until now, we can say that Gauthier made the right decision. A more ordinary December but in general, Carey made his coach look good just like Halak did in the playoffs.

#35 – Alex Auld: B

He didn’t play much but when he did, he didn’t cost the team precious points. He knows his role and doesn’t complain about it. What more can we ask for, really?

HOCKEY OPERATIONS:

Pierre Gauthier: B-

Halpern and Picard leave me lukewarm, while the Ryan O’Byrne and Maxim Lapierre trades don’t impress me one bit. But how much of the blame and/or responsibilities are his and how much is Jacques Martin’s? On the other hand, the James Wisniewski trade seems excellent.

Jacques Martin: C-

The young players aren’t developing under his mentorship. His decisions are just as questionable as Guy Carbonneau’s decisions were. His system seems to smother any creativity on offense, the Canadiens being 26th in the NHL in goals for per game. Having said that, they are 4th in goals against per game, which saves him a bit.

Kirk Muller and Perry Pearn: B

I put them together as I’m uncertain of their specific role, with the exception that they’re responsible for special teams. After a rough start to the season, the Canadiens are now a respectable 11th in the league on the PP. They are also 2nd on the PK, which contributed to the team’s success in the first half.

Pierre Groulx: A

When he was hired to replace Roland Melanson, his role was to bring Carey Price back to his old style which saw him have success at every level that he had played. While Price is still young and still has some learning to do, we can definitely say that their work is paying dividends.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Uhhh he's also huge with his leadership.
No question, didn't take that into consideration when writing my post, you're totally right.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Bulis hit

I wish there wasnt as many blogs out there..

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Darth Joker

Asterix - Given your expectation levels for the players you graded, and given that you're grading mostly on whether or not they met your expectations, I won't quibble much with your grades. In fact, on that basis, I almost totally agree with your grades.

Speaking personally, though, I never expected much out of Pouliot this year, and in fact was afraid he might waste away on the 4th line or the pressbox, suffering a fate similar to SKost of last year.

So, for me, Pouliot has been a pleasant surprise, albeit a slight one.

That's why I'd give him a B, actually.

But aside from that, I agree with your grades.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:01 PM
slimkay

Cammy at B- and Gomer at C+ is a travesty.

They should both be C+. Cammalleri has been hot and cold all season long while Gomez has been the most consistent forward since he came back from injury.

slimkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Alex Picard F
You should then give a "F" to the coaching staff and the GM !

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Habsawce

At this point I'd be willing to trade Picard for a kick in the nuts. (Actually to be kicked in the nuts, not the kick distributor)

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
The thing is that I'm basing the grades on the expectations that I had of them coming in. To me, Pouliot is a bigger disappointment than Eller, who has little NHL experience.

As for Pacioretty, considering that that he played few games and cooled off after a flying start is contributing (remembering that last night's game doesn't count).
Those are your expectations and your ratings. IMO they're subjective and out of touch with reality but who am I to invade your private fantasy world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Forwards
Mike Cammalleri -> B- (disappointing season so far, despite the point total. Lacking confidence/finish, and at times, effort)
Mathieu Darche -> A (nothing more you can ask of him, a gem)
Lars Eller -> D (I like Eller and what he brings to the table, but he's just not ready for primetime)
Scott Gomez -> C+ (very slow start, seems to be back into his groove now)
Brian Gionta -> A- (maybe not at the same pace he was going at last year, but still solid and dependable)
Jeff Halpern -> B (great start, came back down to earth and producing more like the grinder he is)
Andrei Kostitsyn -> B- (hot start, cooled off. Has reverted to his inconsistent ways, sadly)
Travis Moen -> C- (does not hit nearly enough, lacks any edge this season whatsoever)
Max Pacioretty -> B (nothing spectacular, but he's grown leaps and bounds since his draft year)
Tomas Plekanec -> A (would be an A+ had he not slown down recently, our best player in the 1st half)
Benoit Pouliot -> B (oozing talent is not being utilized properly, confidence issues)
Tom Pyatt -> D (nothing going for him, speedy and shifty, but that's about it)

Josh Gorges -> B+ (torn ACL since his rookie year, unreal)
Roman Hamrlik -> B (streaky, but the most reliable defenseman we've got)
Alex Picard -> F (I'd give him even lower if I could. Get this turd off the team already)
Jaroslav Spacek -> C- (a loose cannon waiting to implode)
PK Subban -> B (a little overzealous at times, needs to mature a bit more on the ice, which he will do as he gains experience)
Yannick Weber -> C (disappointed. Had high hopes this would the year Weber shows he's clearly an NHL caliber defenseman, can't say that I'm sold just yet)
James Wisniewski -> A (the odd defensive gaffe does nothing to diminish his impact on this team)

Carey Price -> A- (We've seen this before with Price, this kind of dominance, now to see if he can keep it up for a full year)
Alex Auld -> A (should be playing more, a lot more)
IMO your marks are pretty reasonable and while I might quibble with a few I don't see any that bothers me except that I think you're being too generous to Auld, who's played only three games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
At this point I'd be willing to trade Picard for a kick in the nuts. (Actually to be kicked in the nuts, not the kick distributor)
If you're a high kicker like some chrus girls, aim at Chara's crotch. Don't miss because he'll come after you like a bat out of eill if you don't deliver a telling blow.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

You almost need two seperate grades.

Actual Performance & Performance vs. Expectation.

A guy like Pouliot, may have something like a B- performance, but a C in performance vs expectation, depending how you graded him pre-season.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
You almost need two seperate grades.

Actual Performance & Performance vs. Expectation.

A guy like Pouliot, may have something like a B- performance, but a C in performance vs expectation, depending how you graded him pre-season.
Absolutely. That's why I like reading what the ones who participated (positively) to the topic have to say. It's all subjective and never would I pretend owning the truth. It all fun and game, for discussion.

Old
01-09-2011, 08:51 PM
76ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
No question, didn't take that into consideration when writing my post, you're totally right.
haha yeah, it's one of those things you generally wouldn't take into consideration off the top.

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:54 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulis hit View Post
I wish there wasnt as many blogs out there..
What difference in your life does it make if a bunch of people blog about the team. Nobody is forcing you to read.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Absolutely. That's why I like reading what the ones who participated (positively) to the topic have to say. It's all subjective and never would I pretend owning the truth. It all fun and game, for discussion.
Why do you persist in this autoerotic fantasy? You don't accept empirical evidence. This isn't an iceskating competition in which judges award points based on their subjective impressions. Your rating of Eller is preposterous. He hasn't played a significant role in any of the 40 or so games that have elapsed. It would be a chore to wade through the NHL website to find his statistics unless you started from the bottom. Hockey is a team game but Pouliot was outstanding in the game against Pittsburgh and has contributed to other victories yet from your Oympian peak you judge him. You must be trying to peer through clouds. I wonder whether the clouds exist in the atmosphere or in in your neural pathways. Or maybe there's a simpler explanation. Have you had an eye exam recently?

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 01-10-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old
01-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Newhabfan

Your scoring system remind me of the education "reforms" and the "original grading systems".

System A - You could assess how much the kid assimilated of the target information/skills - the absolute grade.

System B - You could assess where the kid is among his peers, the percentage note - he is among the top 10% of his age group for instance.

System C - You go "kid who has the most improved comparing to previous year or to expectations". It's a good system for some kids since it gives positive reinforcement for effort. No college will take it into account however when recruiting. Or employer when hiring.

However the A to F grading system is only adequate to System A. Just like % is for system B. For System C you should use qualifiers as "Most improved", "Positive surprise" or "Dissapointment".

So - you are using a rating system (A to F) which is not adequate to the evaluation system you decided to use (performance compared to subjective expectations of the rater). That's highly misleading.

Come on, Picard rates better than Subban ? In what world ?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Come on, Picard rates better than Subban ? In what world ?
Wow, I didn't notice that on my first skim-through.

I submit: ?

Jedrik is online now   Reply With Quote