HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International play

Old
01-08-2011, 05:58 PM
SMoneyMonkey

vCash: 500
International play

Always a sensitive question so I figured I'd keep this between a small more closely knit community (LA Kings fans on HFBoards) and not a large, full of hate community (...HFBoards ).

I'm a Canadian that lives in the US and has married into a partly Russian family (Russian being the first language). So, needless to say, I'm happy with how the WJC turned out

Regardless, I identify myself as a Canadian.

Now, had Russia or the States beat Canada in the Olympics I would have been unhappy to say the least. There would have been some joy mixed in (US hockey growing and celebrating with friends/celebrating with my wife's family over the Russian win) but, mostly I would be disappointed.

During the WJC though, I found myself rooting against Canada when the played Russia and rooting for USA whenever Forbort was on the ice. Obviously, this has to do with Schenn, Kitsyn and Forbort. There was still some pride in Canada's play but, for the most part it was about the prospects.

In the end, I still hated all the other nations fans, though, as it should be

Anyways, I know a few Canadian fans who feel the same way, that team Canada isn't as important as individual prospects at the WJC. So I wanted to see how some American fans felt (I don't know any who watch WJC).

tl;dr: Do you find yourself caring more about prospects than Countries at the WJC? How much a part does national pride play?

And an extra question: If a Country other than yours had more Kings prospects, who would you root for when it plays your country? Are there exceptions (country wise... like you'd never root for France or something)?

Cheers, and sorry for the poorly written post.

(Mods: I'm often insensitive to overstepping boundaries when it comes to talk of international hockey. So if there's any wording you think should be changed please feel encouraged to do so. Don't want this to turn into flaming or anything. Also, feel free to delete (but please answer the questions in PM if you do, rather curious xP))

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:24 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
Do you find yourself caring more about prospects than Countries at the WJC? How much a part does national pride play?
... Don't really watch or have much interest in the WJC but if we're talking Olympics or World (Canada) Cup, I'm much more prone to rooting for Kings or ex-Kings than National teams. During the Vancouver games, I was definitely rooting for Canada (for Doughty) and Slovakia (for Stumpel, Handzus, and Demitra) just as much if not more than I was for the USA.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

I love USA Hockey.

I hated seeing Campbell and the US Jr team falter against Canada.

I turned on the Russia Canada game at the start of the 3rd, and after the first russian goal I told Jr that a comeback was in the offing. I felt bad for Schenn, great for Kitsyn (who I think is going to be a very good player for us someday) but was clearly rooting for Russia to knock off Canada. The rationale being: the enemy of my enemy is my friend - at least for a short while when they are playing each other!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Shootmaster_44

For me country comes first. I cheer for Canada at International competitions over anything else. That said, I am always interested to see how Kings' prospects do. But if a team full of Kings prospects from say Slovakia were playing a Canada without any Kings prospects, I'd be cheering for Canada. I also wouldn't take solace in the fact that the Kings' prospects won, if Canada lost.

In games where Canada isn't playing, I will generally be more interested in Kings' prospects over teams without any. However, the most fun I had at the 2010 World Juniors was watching Latvia take on Slovakia and cheering for the Latvians. In fact, the majority of the crowd in Saskatoon were cheering for the Latvians.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Country ALWAYS comes first. I rooted for Team USA last year when Canada had 4 Kings' prospects on the team. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2011, 07:22 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Country ALWAYS comes first. I rooted for Team USA last year when Canada had 4 Kings' prospects on the team. . .
This.

Team USA could be all Ducks, Wings, Habs and Hawks spects(teams I hate). And I wouldn't care.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:55 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Unit, Corp, God, Country

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 09:44 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
For me country comes first. I cheer for Canada at International competitions over anything else. That said, I am always interested to see how Kings' prospects do. But if a team full of Kings prospects from say Slovakia were playing a Canada without any Kings prospects, I'd be cheering for Canada. I also wouldn't take solace in the fact that the Kings' prospects won, if Canada lost.

In games where Canada isn't playing, I will generally be more interested in Kings' prospects over teams without any. However, the most fun I had at the 2010 World Juniors was watching Latvia take on Slovakia and cheering for the Latvians. In fact, the majority of the crowd in Saskatoon were cheering for the Latvians.
Substitute "Canada" for "Finland" and it's me.

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I pull for USA first, then if they are not around, I will root for particular prospects. If USA is not in the picture, it is all about the individual prospects.

This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions! - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 11:03 AM
Quattro

I root for Team USA first and whoever is playing Canada second

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Whiskeypete

country first every time....USA

after Team USA then i will follow and root for the Kings prospects/players in the WJC, Olympics or Worlds. i love how the international game has developed and where it's going.

on a side note - if bettman **** cans the NHL participation in Sochi i will be pissed. if that dwarf thinks he's disliked and getting booed now, wait for the reaction after he boycotts Sochi.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
LombardiTool

In the Jr. Tournament I was cheering for the Kings prospects. During the US game I was cheering big time for Schenn as I wanted him to break the points record. Didn't care who they were playing.

Olympics will always be US first. Then again, the US has so many Kings players on it, it's like cheering for my Kings!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 01:02 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I root for Team USA first and whoever is playing Canada second
Looks like Canada is the Yankees of international hockey. Don't worry, it's natural for people to be jealous of the best!

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Looks like Canada is the Yankees of international hockey. Don't worry, it's natural for people to be jealous of the best!
that is a pretty good analogy, although dislike != jealousy.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Tadite

I don't care. Sure it's nice to see the US do well in international competitions and sometimes I do watch but I just can't get past the level of blatant corruption. FIFA, Olympics, any of the scary kids tournaments. All of them aren't about sport they're about creating a place for second rate politicians to get bribes or at best they're about building a set of rules to support specific (usually European) countries.

I'd bane them or at least get the US out of it if I could.

The only thing I like about the WJC is that it gives a chance to see some of the prospects play. Other then that it's irrelevant to me.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Tadite

Quote:

They'd have to win more to be the Yankees.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:48 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
More than what? 14 world junior gold medals to your 2? 8 Olympic gold medals to your 2? Canada Cups, World Cups, World Championships? Please tell me, I'm dying to hear your answer.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:13 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
This.

Team USA could be all Ducks, Wings, Habs and Hawks spects(teams I hate). And I wouldn't care.
This.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Quote:
More than what? 14 world junior gold medals to your 2? 8 Olympic gold medals to your 2? Canada Cups, World Cups, World Championships? Please tell me, I'm dying to hear your answer.
Let's try not to let this deteriorate. We're all friends here... to an extent. And this is why I didn't want it on the main boards.

I'm kind of surprised at how many go Country Only for the World Juniors. The Olympics I can imagine because it's the best against the best but, the WJC is the best of three years ... and often not even the best as many are unavailable for all teams.

Old
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Americans who follow hockey are just as patriotic as Canadians . . the difference is, our fans are in the thousands . . yours are in the millions

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 02:15 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Americans who follow hockey are just as patriotic as Canadians . . the difference is, our fans are in the thousands . . yours are in the millions
They actually seem to be more patriotic, if that's the right word. The American fans who follow WJC seem to go for Country almost all the time whereas most of my Canadian friends who follow it don't. I mean, it's between something like 95% of Americans going for Country to 90% of Canadians but, still...

Also a horribly small sample size

Old
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Try to keep up.

The Yankees have won nearly 3 times more World Series then the next closest team. That's 17 more wins then the next closest team. They'd have to lose for 17 straight years to one team for someone to catch up which just isn't going to happen. They're likely to be the winningest baseball team in history for the rest of our lives.

You've won a grand total of 2 times more then the Russians at the WJC. 15 to 13 isn't even close to Yankee level of success.

But because you don't read and just let jingoism cloud your mind I didn't even just mean the WJC. If anything the World Championship is a better comparison. It's roughly the same length of time as MLB.

Here Canada isn't even the winningest country. Russia has 25 gold metals with Canada being at 24.

You can't be the Yankees of International Hockey if you haven't een come close to dominating the WJC, are 2nd in World Championships, and lets not forget went 50 years without an Olympic Gold.

So no you aren't the Yankees of International Hockey. You'd have to have many orders of magnitudes more success....