HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jack Johnson agrees to extension (7 years, 4.36 Million Avg)

Old
01-10-2011, 03:07 PM
scramble91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
The biggest thing I've noticed about Doughty over the past few games is his skating. He isn't skating at the same speed and agility he was last season causing defenders to catch up to him when he is trying to skate the puck up the ice. I've also noticed poor decision making with the puck in all zones. Doughty has not lived up to the way he played in the 09/10 season but I also think Jack Johnson has been better this year although still inconsistent. That is just my opinion. I don't have any numbers or the hockey acumen of JT Dutch to back that up.
i dont see why people are arguing about who has been better this year...This is all subjective, as there is no real "proof" on who is better if you take out statistics. I dont sport a favorite between the 2, but clearly in MY MIND, DD has been better as a all around dman. Is he slower than last year? no, his top speed skating still shows, but his transition skating (agility) is what seems to be slower than before. Does that make him worse than JJ? in my mind, no because he is still faster than JJ from what i see.

So all of you might pose the "nu-uh" agrument, but its all in the eyes of the beholder. Its nice to debate things sometimes, but remember, we are all kings fans

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Sorry Buddy, Numbers, recordings, or it doesnt count.
those are no longer good enough. Now, it's notarized Roman numeraled blood samples

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
So all of you might pose the "nu-uh" agrument, but its all in the eyes of the beholder. Its nice to debate things sometimes, but remember, we are all kings fans
Yeah except when people refute someone's arguments with their observations and it is met with a snarky comment about baseball. We are all fans here and none of us are experts and we share opinions. Some of us just think more highly of ourselves than others.

But I agree, I don't care who is better. I hope both become great players. I think this contract sets a precadent for Doughty, though. He'll have to earn his contracts and my guess is his next one will be a "2nd contract" and not the contract Jack just got. For good reason too. Although, some brighter minds may disagree.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I am hoping Doughty smooths things out, and rebounds the second half of the season. At least, as much as one can expect from an elite youngster defenseman, having an "off-year" of 40+ points during an injury season, on a team with an embarrassing powerplay can...
Ironically, Lubo had 41pts in his "crapping the bed" final year with the Kings.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Ironically, Lubo had 41pts in his "crapping the bed" final year with the Kings.
The difference being the age and the contract. And again, lets not forget that AEG asked DL to cut salary that summer. That seems to keep getting glossed over.

Old
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah except when people refute someone's arguments with their observations and it is met with a snarky comment about baseball. We are all fans here and none of us are experts and we share opinions. Some of us just think more highly of ourselves than others.

But I agree, I don't care who is better. I hope both become great players. I think this contract sets a precadent for Doughty, though. He'll have to earn his contracts and my guess is his next one will be a "2nd contract" and not the contract Jack just got. For good reason too. Although, some brighter minds may disagree.
I like this post!! And i agree with this...tho since DD is probably working with an agent, then it could be a little more strung out. It will set a precedent, but since DDs ceiling is probably rated higher (just my opinion)...he will get 1 to 1.5 mill more a year. I just hope this doesnt end up getting ugly.

Just think...if JJ continues to develop and DD reaches his superstar potential (which kings fans are his biggest critics), we could have 2 of the top 10 D men in the league.

That would be money....

Old
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Just think...if JJ continues to develop and DD reaches his superstar potential (which kings fans are his biggest critics), we could have 2 of the top 10 D men in the league.

That would be money....
yes it would!

Old
01-10-2011, 04:05 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Luc on the Fan today talking Jack Johnson and the Kings: http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...0_130418_11584

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Man Bear Pig

One of the few contracts over 5 years that I actually like. Given his age and potential Johnsons value down the road is that of a 6 million dollar d-man. The contracts going right through his prime as well. Great deal.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
just a general comment..

Did they not foresee Johnson's asking price of 4+? With money like that, you give JJ the chance to land a starring role with Doughty, which is the ultimate goal.

I say this because..

We invested a lot of effort and development into this rebuild, one that was mostly focused on the back end. So going back to last summer's Free Agency period, I was baffled DL reportedly had interest in Dan Hamuis & Paul Martin.. players would command DOLLARS and YEARS. I thought adding a guy from the 'outside' would disrupt our efforts, or at the very least, thought it was too soon. A signing like Willy Mitchell was more ideal..

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHoler View Post
just a general comment..

Did they not foresee Johnson's asking price of 4+? With money like that, you give JJ the chance to land a starring role with Doughty, which is the ultimate goal.

I say this because..

We invested a lot of effort and development into this rebuild, one that was mostly focused on the back end. So going back to last summer's Free Agency period, I was baffled DL reportedly had interest in Dan Hamuis & Paul Martin.. players would command DOLLARS and YEARS. I thought adding a guy from the 'outside' would disrupt our efforts, or at the very least, thought it was too soon. A signing like Willy Mitchell was more ideal..
Good question. I think if Lombardi had been able to have landed Martin on a 5 year deal, Johnson might have been trade bait. Looks like it is going to work out.

The Kings are not likely to trade Doughty. That would have made Johnson the likely suspect in a trade to acquire more firepower up front.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Good question. I think if Lombardi had been able to have landed Martin on a 5 year deal, Johnson might have been trade bait. Looks like it is going to work out.

The Kings are not likely to trade Doughty. That would have made Johnson the likely suspect in a trade to acquire more firepower up front.
I pray this wont be the case...but at least we have 1 of them signed.

I dont know if anyone read the Helene article saying DD wont use the JJ contract as a blueprint...lol Hopefully this all gets worked out on a good deal...because of the whole agent factor and DD being a kid, it could string out into a ugly situation. But looking at the comments Drew made, his next contract will be alot shorter than 7 years from what i read into it.

Old
01-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Johnny Utah

The feel good part of this story and Luc talked about it on the fan 590 today, is JJ's relationship with John Stevens.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Johnny Utah

Remember when we first traded for Johnson and dudes were taking pics of him in the weight room and he was bulking up....Doughty needs to take a cue from that.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:09 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Remember when we first traded for Johnson and dudes were taking pics of him in the weight room and he was bulking up....Doughty needs to take a cue from that.
That is the best thing about Johnson. He knows what he needs to do and how to get there as evidence of his progression.

Doughty however seemed to be content with where he was and "slipped". Doughty really needs to take his talent seriously and he could definitely learn a thing or two from Jack's tenacity.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I pray this wont be the case...but at least we have 1 of them signed.

I dont know if anyone read the Helene article saying DD wont use the JJ contract as a blueprint...lol Hopefully this all gets worked out on a good deal...because of the whole agent factor and DD being a kid, it could string out into a ugly situation. But looking at the comments Drew made, his next contract will be alot shorter than 7 years from what i read into it.
Yeah, well this isn't the first time NotHelen has rooted against the Kings' management team.

I am fine if Doughty signs a two year deal at this point. Let him earn it.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'd rather they sign Doughty to a 2 year deal, seemed to work well with Jack.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:22 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
That is the best thing about Johnson. He knows what he needs to do and how to get there as evidence of his progression.

Doughty however seemed to be content with where he was and "slipped". Doughty really needs to take his talent seriously and he could definitely learn a thing or two from Jack's tenacity.
According to JT Dutch this ^^^^ never happened!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Cruel11
Classless Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I'd rather they sign Doughty to a 2 year deal, seemed to work well with Jack.
Sounds like he will.

Quote:
Asked if he (Doughty) could imagine committing to a seven-year deal, which is among the longest the Kings have ever given any player, Doughty was, well, noncommittal.

“That is a long time,” he said. “It’s great for the Kings organization to have Jack around for that many years, unless he gets traded. He’s a great player and a huge part of this defense corps and this organization, so it was really good for them to get him.”

JJ sounds like a nice guy.

Quote:
“It’s the first opportunity I have to buy them dinner and I figured I’d do it on the road when guys don’t have families and stuff around,” Johnson said. “Sometimes at home they have plans and you don’t want to interfere with their plans, so I figured on the road would be a good time to do it.”

He already has a steakhouse picked out and is prepared for teammates to eat hearty and not opt for the petite cut on the filet mignon.

“I would hope they wouldn’t, because I don’t think I would,” he said.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...rco-sturm.html

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Sounds like he will.

JJ sounds like a nice guy.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...rco-sturm.html
My respect for Jack just went up a little. Doughty is going the other way.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Ever since I read that article, I've been trying to figure out which steakhouse he is going to take them to in Dallas. I could use a good steak and hang out with the Kings.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:02 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... Here's a little blurb about the Johnson signing, with statistical analysis. Just showing a different point of view.

I don't necessarily agree with it, in fact in one area he's wrong (Doughty leads the team in ice time per game, not Johnson) but it was interesting nonetheless.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

In honor of Jack's play this season, the number 3, and his contract extension, I bought a forum blue Johnson jersey.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
In honor of Jack's play this season, the number 3, and his contract extension, I bought a forum blue Johnson jersey.
Seems like a good investment. It has been a long time since I have purchased a new Kings jersey and have been contemplating on who to get. Johnson shot up the list recently with the exposure he has been getting and this extension. Haven't decided yet, but Johnson is leading the pack right now.

"I think part of his game is he’s over aggressive at times, which I like. We’ll tame that. I’d rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Here's a little blurb about the Johnson signing, with statistical analysis. Just showing a different point of view.

I don't necessarily agree with it, in fact in one area he's wrong (Doughty leads the team in ice time per game, not Johnson) but it was interesting nonetheless.
I have several problems with the article.

First, is that it makes no mention of the the 10-11 season. Jack is currently on pace for 7-52-59. This is 61% better than his previous (read: best) season. Let's wait until this year's numbers are out before we start to make judgments about the contract.

Second, Johnson doesn't have a 4.2MM cap hit this season. He will have one next season. If Johnson continues his projection he will be well worth what he is being paid. Why is the writer comparing Johnson's previous seasons to other players who are already earning what they are being paid?

Third, keeping in mind that the article is ignoring Johnson's career year so far, I find it odd that even though he had a GVT of 8.2 last year (which was better than both Hamhuis and Coburn) he attributes it entirely to QualComp and Offensive Zone faceoff stats. GVT incorporates all of ones play. How much of a difference do those percentage differences make in ones overall value? (I honestly don't know)

Fourth, all three players he is being compared against play with significant advantages compared to Johnson. Staal plays the majority of his games with Lundqvist behind him. Hamhuis's stats come from when he played in Nashville. He was often paired with either Weber or Suter. Both of these players are world class and would help ones stats. This can be evidenced by Coburn's numbers as well. He played with Pronger last year. That makes a world of difference for him.

Lastly, I don't like how Hamhuis is used as a comparison in these statistics. I imagine that the writer used him because of the comparable cap hit. The problem is that Hamhuis is 27 and received that contract as a free agent that was at a discount of Vancouver because he wanted to play in his hometown. If Hamhuis wanted to he could have received over 5MM this past offseason.

EDIT: I just re-read your post (sorry I'm drunk) and you said that you "don't necessarily agree with it." I'm sorry if this post came off as if it were a jam against you. I just read the article and had a knee jerk reaction.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote