Notices

Bruins Heavily Scouting LA/CBJ Game

Old
01-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Strange Universe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I wouldn't go there, Toronto's 1st and Colborne should be enough to land a high end guy without hurting your NHL roster.
That is also true.
I was thinking what PHO would request from our current playing roster and if Krecji would be the demand by PHO for Yandle I would still do it.

Strange Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 11:52 PM
topcat986*

The Bruins line up always go's to crap whenever Krecji is injured or out.

topcat986* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:25 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by camorr84 View Post
HMMM... interesting. let's say the Bruins get Klesla and save a million. But i would rather get Russell. Or Voracek the Bruins are truly lacking quickness on the wings.

How about to Ottawa: Savard Brassard
CLB Spezza Wheeler Stuart Foligno
Boston Russell Voracek Commodore( i don't want him )
Interesting proposal. But let's separate it a little bit, more so I can wrap my head around it.

Boston gives: Savard (top 6 center), Wheeler (top 9 forward), Stuart (bottom 4 defenseman).
Boston gets: Russell (bottom 4 defenseman, with skillset Bruins need), Voracek (top 9 forward with upside), Commodore (strictly salary, do we need to put him through re-entry waivers to put him on our roster?)
My opinion: Bruins are giving up too much forward depth to not be getting enough back. Voracek, statistically hasn't put up much better numbers than Wheeler. Boston gets young NHL ready talent, downgrades offensively, and moderately upgrades defense; this deal would be made to improve for the future. Not sure I'd do it; as Kris Russell could work out, but it might I'd be on the fence to actually pull the trigger on this one.

Ottawa gives: Spezza (top line center), Foligno (top 9 forward)
Ottawa gets: Savard, Brassard (young top 6 forward with upside)
Why Ottawa might/might not want to do this: Brassard could eventually be a Spezza replacement, Savard could be a hometown hero. Ottawa overally downgrades top line, but upgrades top 6. They might be able to get a better package dealing Spezza alone, so I can see them wanting/getting more for Spezza.

Columbus gives: Russell, Voracek, Brassard, Commadore
Columbus gets: Spezza, Wheeler, Stuart, Foligno
Why Columbus might/might not do this: They upgrade their top line center. Gets solid top 9 forward help; and a decent bottom pairing defenseman with good intangibles. They give up a lot of their NHL ready youth, but get a considerably fair return which I think makes them better.

Overall, I think it could be tweaked to work; but I think it favors Columbus right now, and leaves Ottawa and Boston wanting a little more.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:30 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
Filatov doesn't seem like a Bruin mold and/or a Chiarelli type of player.
Voracek is overrated and Kris Russell would slot in 4-5 on our lineup.

One guy on CLB that I haven't seen anyone really discuss is Antoine Vermette. He is a Chiarelli type, they have a history together in OTT, plus he and Bergeron are best friends. I know he isn't a D, but maybe he could be in a package etc. Ryder, Stuart and top prospects etc. Cap hits and term are the keys.

For the record, CLB doesn't have anything that we need imho.
Nash? Keep dreaming.
I'm more inclined to think if we and CLB are talking, its in a three-way deal.
I've seen that connection before; and honestly, you'd think if we moved a center; Vermette could be part of the package coming back (we can also play wing, correct?) Having versatility amongst our forward group could be important.

Overall Columbus has some interesting players I'd be interested in; although I'd like to know each of their availability.

Filatov
Kesla
Russell
Umberger
Voracek
Vermette

Keeping in mind; the Bruins are likely trying to set the team up for a play off run this season, as well as possibly the next 2-3; (Honestly, I see the next few seasons as our bubble to go for it).

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

I know everyone hates the idea of trading DK, but what if we got the following:

Tyutin and Vermette for DK and possible Stuart (Picks or something can be involved as DK is the best player in the deal)

Lucic Savard Ryder
Marchand Seguin Horton
Vermette Bergeron Wheeler
Recchi Campbell Thornton

Chara Tyutin
Seidenberg Boychuk
Ference McQuaid / Kampfer

Thomas / Rask

Greek_physique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:07 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post

Tyutin and Vermette for DK and possible Stuart (Picks or something can be involved as DK is the best player in the deal)

Lucic Savard Ryder
Marchand Seguin Horton
Recchi Campbell Thornton

Chara Tyutin
Seidenberg Boychuk

Thomas / Rask
I'd probably do it. And make no mistake - that's not a Cup winning offense by any stretch of the imagination. But it might be an improvement overall.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:

Lucic Savard Ryder
Marchand Seguin Horton
Recchi Campbell Thornton

Chara Tyutin
Seidenberg Boychuk

Thomas / Rask
Does this work cap-wise? I love your Bergeron line.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
I'd probably do it. And make no mistake - that's not a Cup winning offense by any stretch of the imagination. But it might be an improvement overall.
I also agree, it's not a Stanley Cup winning offense....however it would give us 2 good lines, but our 2nd line takes a huge hit.

IMO, the line of Bergeron / Vermette / Wheeler, would be an effective checking line that would be able to chip in with some offense when needed.

Depending on how Seguin responds to more minutes, we could easily acquire someone else to fill into that role if he struggles (Arnott is someone I’d target as he’s an UFA and could do well on this team)

Our goaltending is strong enough to keep us competitive against any team in the league…..if we’re able to shore up the defense, I think will be good enough to win with our offense.

Old
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Greek_physique
Caron - Legit SNIPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
Does this work cap-wise? I love your Bergeron line.
How much CAP space do we have?

Vermette - 3.75 & Tyutin - 3.00
for
Krejci - 3.75 & Stuart 1.65

Difference = 1.35

Waive Paille = 1.00

Total = Adding .35 salary.

Does that work?

Old
01-11-2011, 11:15 AM
BruinsPortugal

It looks to me like Columbus wants to improve the exact same areas that Boston wants.
They want to improve transition from the back end with a reliable PMD and a top 6 forward, preferably a #1 center for Nash.

I can see Columbus interested in Krejci for example but if they are looking for a mobile defenseman is Boston the right place to look? definitely not.

So unless we want to take a gamble on Russell or Stralman that clearly are not working for them, Columbus is not the right place to look for a defenseman.

I like Tyutin but whe need him? i dont think so.
Vermette? for who, Krejci? is that a real upgrade?

Honestly, Columbus is one of the last teams i would look at to make a deal.

BruinsPortugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:25 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

Lucic Savard Ryder
Marchand Seguin Horton
Recchi Campbell Thornton

Chara Tyutin
Seidenberg Boychuk

Thomas / Rask
I'd do it with a good pick (e.g. 2nd round) coming back from CBJ. Seguin is looking better and better and I still think he projects as a center first and foremost.

Krejci... I question his ability to stay healthy and a real #1 center doesn't go 0-0--0 with 2 shots over 5 very important games when he's supposedly healthy. Going back to 12/16/10 (the MTL game), Krejci only has 13 shots in 12 games, but 6 of them came against Florida. Take out that game, we're talking about 6 shots in 12 games. I know his role isn't to shoot, but a shooting center makes his wingers more dangerous. When the wingers aren't putting the puck in the net, the center can make their job a bit easier. He's a hell of a player, I just don't know if he's a true #1 center on a contending team.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Interesting proposal. But let's separate it a little bit, more so I can wrap my head around it.

Boston gives: Savard (top 6 center), Wheeler (top 9 forward), Stuart (bottom 4 defenseman).
Boston gets: Russell (bottom 4 defenseman, with skillset Bruins need), Voracek (top 9 forward with upside), Commodore (strictly salary, do we need to put him through re-entry waivers to put him on our roster?)
My opinion: Bruins are giving up too much forward depth to not be getting enough back. Voracek, statistically hasn't put up much better numbers than Wheeler. Boston gets young NHL ready talent, downgrades offensively, and moderately upgrades defense; this deal would be made to improve for the future. Not sure I'd do it; as Kris Russell could work out, but it might I'd be on the fence to actually pull the trigger on this one.

Ottawa gives: Spezza (top line center), Foligno (top 9 forward)
Ottawa gets: Savard, Brassard (young top 6 forward with upside)
Why Ottawa might/might not want to do this: Brassard could eventually be a Spezza replacement, Savard could be a hometown hero. Ottawa overally downgrades top line, but upgrades top 6. They might be able to get a better package dealing Spezza alone, so I can see them wanting/getting more for Spezza.

Columbus gives: Russell, Voracek, Brassard, Commadore
Columbus gets: Spezza, Wheeler, Stuart, Foligno
Why Columbus might/might not do this: They upgrade their top line center. Gets solid top 9 forward help; and a decent bottom pairing defenseman with good intangibles. They give up a lot of their NHL ready youth, but get a considerably fair return which I think makes them better.

Overall, I think it could be tweaked to work; but I think it favors Columbus right now, and leaves Ottawa and Boston wanting a little more.
Thanks for taking the time to dissect it. And you are probably right about the bruins giving too much. Ottawa, i think might bite.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsPortugal View Post
It looks to me like Columbus wants to improve the exact same areas that Boston wants.
They want to improve transition from the back end with a reliable PMD and a top 6 forward, preferably a #1 center for Nash.

I can see Columbus interested in Krejci for example but if they are looking for a mobile defenseman is Boston the right place to look? definitely not.

So unless we want to take a gamble on Russell or Stralman that clearly are not working for them, Columbus is not the right place to look for a defenseman.

I like Tyutin but whe need him? i dont think so.
Vermette? for who, Krejci? is that a real upgrade?

Honestly, Columbus is one of the last teams i would look at to make a deal.
I would be willing to deal Savard there if he would waive his NTC in exchange for picks/ prospects that we could then turn around an flip for a defensman or a winger with another team.

IMO, Columbus doesn't have that attractive of assets.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Vermette is a solid player but I think he'd suffer from the unrealistic expectations we put on players of his ilk. By that I mean, we see the skill, we see the potential, but the results and production are lacking on a consistent basis. For recent examples of this, see Sturm and Ryder.

Here's the scouting report on Vermette for those that don't know too much about him other than the occasional viewing of a CBJ/Bruins game or game highlights.

Quote:
ASSETS: Has excellent two-way instincts, great speed and tenacity. Is dedicated to playing at both ends of the ice and displays loads of perseverance. Can play any role on a team.
FLAWS: The jury is still out on his ability to make an offensive impact at the National Hockey League level. Is woefully inconsistent in the attacking zone. Misses a lot of good scoring chances.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Speedy two-way forward.
Does this sound familiar to anyone?

He's also making 3.75 for the next 5 seasons ( including this one ).

His playoff production is non-existent. 8 points in 42 playoff games is atrocious for a guy of his skill and capabilities.

As a third line guy who can be paired with Bergeron, he'd be alright. He might even go on a tare like Sturm did with Bergeron when he first got here. He'd be a valuable asset on the PK and his left hand shot would be useful on the PP at times. But beware the dogma of unrealistic expectations and lessons learned from the past. Also... that 3.75 cap hit is a bit much for a guy still looking to find consistency with his offensive potential at 28 years old.

If C-Bus is looking to trade him, it's probably because they want to dump that contract. Ryder/4th round pick for Vermette would sound fair to me. They get a guy with similar production and then won't have to worry about the salary after this season.

If they're asking for anything more, I'd turn around and look at other options.

VeddarRants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I agree completely Veddar.

Vermette's a career average, 20 goal 40 point forward, making almost $4m. Haven't we seen enough of that around here? I know he bumped it up to 65 points last year centering Nash, but he's right back to his usual 20/20 self this season.

And Tyutin & Vermette for Krejci feels like two nickels for a dime. Krejci was our best player in last year's playoffs leading the team in points and forwards in ice-time. That series turned, literally, three second after he left it.

What's the point of dealing Krejci to ice a team that's still not a Cup contender?
If that's the case, I'd rather hold onto Krejci, let Savard build back up his trade value, and then move Savvy in the summer.

PlayMakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:05 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I agree completely Veddar.

Vermette's a career average, 20 goal 40 point forward, making almost $4m. Haven't we seen enough of that around here? I know he bumped it up to 65 points last year centering Nash, but he's right back to his usual 20/20 self this season.

And Tyutin & Vermette for Krejci feels like two nickels for a dime. Krejci was our best player in last year's playoffs leading the team in points and forwards in ice-time. That series turned, literally, three second after he left it.

What's the point of dealing Krejci to ice a team that's still not a Cup contender?
If that's the case, I'd rather hold onto Krejci, let Savard build back up his trade value, and then move Savvy in the summer.
Personally, I'd wait until the offseason to revamp the Bruins lineup. I know we all want to see tweaks and major adjustments a month from now when the trade deadline comes along, but I think we need to sit pat and bite the bullet here until after the season. Reasons being...

1. The Toronto pick.

We could finally see a major boost to Boston's blueline core with the addition of a guy like Larsson or Murphy, both who have elite level skill that the Bruins need in the system.

2. Parise or Pitkanen

If we spend the money on a bottom 9 forward like Vermette ( 3.75 ) that would hamper our chances of making a real strong push at this year's UFA crop. Parise and Pitkanen are two guys with talents at positions we need.

I think this offseason, we'll see Mark Stuart, Mark Savard, Mark Recchi, and Michael Ryder go their separate ways. With a little luck, we might see something like this

Lucic -- Krejci -- Horton

Parise -- Bergeron -- Seguin

Caron -- Wheeler -- Marchand

Paille -- Campbell -- Thornton

Chara -- Larsson/Murphy

Seidenburg -- Boychuk

Kampfer -- Ference

Old
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Personally, I'd wait until the offseason to revamp the Bruins lineup. I know we all want to see tweaks and major adjustments a month from now when the trade deadline comes along, but I think we need to sit pat and bite the bullet here until after the season. Reasons being...

1. The Toronto pick.

We could finally see a major boost to Boston's blueline core with the addition of a guy like Larsson or Murphy, both who have elite level skill that the Bruins need in the system.

2. Parise or Pitkanen

If we spend the money on a bottom 9 forward like Vermette ( 3.75 ) that would hamper our chances of making a real strong push at this year's UFA crop. Parise and Pitkanen are two guys with talents at positions we need.

I think this offseason, we'll see Mark Stuart, Mark Savard, Mark Recchi, and Michael Ryder go their separate ways. With a little luck, we might see something like this

Lucic -- Krejci -- Horton

Parise -- Bergeron -- Seguin

Caron -- Wheeler -- Marchand

Paille -- Campbell -- Thornton

Chara -- Larsson/Murphy

Seidenburg -- Boychuk

Kampfer -- Ference
How could we get Parise? According your post, we are not offering Krejci or Toronto 1st.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 01:18 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
How could we get Parise? According your post, we are not offering Krejci or Toronto 1st.
That's my bad... I was under the assumption for some reason he was an upcoming UFA. Looks like he still has a couple of more years on his deal.

Old
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
That's my bad... I was under the assumption for some reason he was an upcoming UFA. Looks like he still has a couple of more years on his deal.
He's an upcoming RFA so an offer sheet is possible without losing any NHL assets or Toronto's pick.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 02:59 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
He's an upcoming RFA so an offer sheet is possible without losing any NHL assets or Toronto's pick.
Or Boston's 2011 first, for that matter. The picks would begin in 2012.

If we see Chiarelli trade away an asset this year for a 2012 first- or second-rounder or if he gives up a 2013 pick without touching the 2012 ones, that's a clear indication that he at least wants the threat of an offer sheet on his side this offseason. It would be a very smart move.

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 01-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old
01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Or Boston's 2010 first, for that matter. The picks would begin in 2011.

If we see Chiarelli trade away an asset this year for a 2011 first- or second-rounder or if he gives up a 2012 pick without touching the 2011 ones, that's a clear indication that he at least wants the threat of an offer sheet on his side this offseason. It would be a very smart move.
Actually, 2012, FC. Would be 2011, if the offer sheet had happened last July.

Old
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
Actually, 2012, FC. Would be 2011, if the offer sheet had happened last July.
Wow - still living in yesteryear My mistake, I'll fix it.

Old
01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
And that's my bad again... I was looking at Patrik Elias

Old
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
ed bruin

wait wait, what about LA?

ed bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Lord Ahriman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Wow - still living in yesteryear My mistake, I'll fix it.
Happens

I'd love to see Chia making an offer sheet, but with a new CBA coming and we don't know if new rules will be in play, IMO, chances are very slim. A big trade is more realistic.

You never know, but a man can dream, Parise by the deadline