HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Your team's all-time draft bust lineup

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
  #26
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 3,334
vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks (All 1st or 2nd rounders except Krutov)

Rob Woodward (0) - Libor Polasek (0) - Marc-Andre Bernier (0)
Jere Gillis (386) - Dan Woodley (5) - Vladimir Krutov (61)
Shawn Antoski (183) - Nathan Smith (26) - Alek Stojanov (107)
Brad Gassoff (122) - Patrick White (0) - Bryan McSheffrey (90)

Dale Tallon (642) - Jason Herter (1)
Ryan Bonni (3) - Kirill Koltsov (0)
Denis Grot (0) - Taylor Ellington (0)
Jeff Bandura (2) - Jim Hargreaves (66)

Mike Fountain (11)
Troy Gamble (72)

HM: Josh Holden C, Jeff Rohlicek C, Rick Girard C, Rob Gordon C

Previous to Henrik, the franchise tried for years to draft a top quality Center... with very little luck.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 01:51 PM
  #27
McGuillicuddy
Registered User
 
McGuillicuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I don't really think we can call Gary Leeman a bust. 466 points in 667 games as a 2nd rounder. Seasons of 52, 61, 75, and 95 points.
Gary Leeman got us Doug Gilmour. That make him possibly the most productive draft pick Toronto has made in the last 30 years! .

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
  #28
WilliamRanford
Registered User
 
WilliamRanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
I'll try this out for the Oilers post-79:

Steve Kelly (6) - Jason Bonsignore (4) - Michael Henrich (13)
Jani Rita (13) - Marc Pouliot (22) - Michel Riesen (14)
Joe Hulbig (13) - Jesse Niinimaki (15) - Kim Issel (21)
Alexei Mikhnov (17) - Scott Allison (17) - Richard Borgo (36)
Tony Salmalainen (41)

Jason Soules (15) - Nick Stajduhar (16)
Matthieu Descoteaux (19) - Jim Playfair (20)
Chris Hajt (32) - Selmar Odelein (21)
Roman Tesliuk (44)

Andrew Verner (34)
Patrick Dovigi (41)
Daryl Reaugh (42)

That left wing line-up is like the valley of the lost souls. Bonsignore is the franchise's biggest bust at 4th overall, when they really needed to hit a homerun in 1994 (Ryan Smyth at 6th overall was a decent consolation prize). Steve Kelly was taken when the home crowd was chanting for Shane Doan in 1995. We traded down in the legendary 2003 draft to take Marc Pouliot, leaving Zack Parise on the board.

Barry Fraser drafted multiple HHOFs as head scout from 1979 to 1983, but his draft record from 1984 to 2000 must be considered one of the worst ever. Out of 186 players taken between those years, 23 played more than 250 games, or 12%. Only 8 played 750 or more games, or 4%. 115 of them never even played a single game, or 62%. Brutal.

WilliamRanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:08 PM
  #29
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Vancouver Canucks (All 1st or 2nd rounders except Krutov)

Rob Woodward (0) - Libor Polasek (0) - Marc-Andre Bernier (0)
Jere Gillis (386) - Dan Woodley (5) - Vladimir Krutov (61)
Shawn Antoski (183) - Nathan Smith (26) - Alek Stojanov (107)
Brad Gassoff (122) - Patrick White (0) - Bryan McSheffrey (90)

Dale Tallon (642) - Jason Herter (1)
Ryan Bonni (3) - Kirill Koltsov (0)
Denis Grot (0) - Taylor Ellington (0)
Jeff Bandura (2) - Jim Hargreaves (66)

Mike Fountain (11)
Troy Gamble (72)

HM: Josh Holden C, Jeff Rohlicek C, Rick Girard C, Rob Gordon C

Previous to Henrik, the franchise tried for years to draft a top quality Center... with very little luck.
I was gonna do one but that is pretty spot on.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
  #30
digdug41982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 26,473
vCash: 50
Blackhawks-All first round picks, most in the last 12 years
Top 6
Eric Lecompte-Mikhail Yakubov-Ty Jones
Dmitri Nabokov-Mark Bell-Pavel Vorobiev
Top 4
Steve McCarthy-Adam Bennett
Cam Barker-Bruce Cassidy
Starting G
Adam Munro

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
  #31
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Leafs

Goal:
Eric Fichaud
Mikael Tellqvist
Justin Pogge

Defense:
Drake Berehowsky-Gary Nylund (I know these 2 had long careers, but they're supposed to be a franchise defenceman, not a journeyman)
Jeff Ware-Steve Bankroft
Jim Benning-Pierre Hedin

Forwards:
Zedenek Nedved-Luca Cereda-Landon Wilson
Scott Pearson-Brandon Convery-Rob Pearson
Gary Leeman-Kyle Wellwood-Peter Ihnacak
Jarko Immonen-Jeff Farkas-Jiri Tlusty (too soon?)

The 1999 draft is just ....
Potvin and Leeman have been discussed, but Kyle Wellwood a bust? The guy was drafted 134th overall and had a couple decent seasons given his draft position. I wouldn't call him a bust, more like he got our hopes up.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 03:36 PM
  #32
FrozenJagrt
Registered User
 
FrozenJagrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
Gary Leeman got us Doug Gilmour. That make him possibly the most productive draft pick Toronto has made in the last 30 years! .
Wendel Clark got the Leafs Mats Sundin. Those two careers >>> Leeman and Gilmour if we're talking about their time with the Leafs.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:17 PM
  #33
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
What does this prove?

By the way, my point from the beginning was that I see Potvin as a bigger bust than Tellquist.
Ummmm, that he wasn't a bust. Sometimes when zero people support you, you're probably wrong, not always, but sometimes.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 04:59 PM
  #34
vadim sharifijanov
thanks chris
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Vancouver Canucks (All 1st or 2nd rounders except Krutov)

Rob Woodward (0) - Libor Polasek (0) - Marc-Andre Bernier (0)
Jere Gillis (386) - Dan Woodley (5) - Vladimir Krutov (61)
Shawn Antoski (183) - Nathan Smith (26) - Alek Stojanov (107)
Brad Gassoff (122) - Patrick White (0) - Bryan McSheffrey (90)

Dale Tallon (642) - Jason Herter (1)
Ryan Bonni (3) - Kirill Koltsov (0)
Denis Grot (0) - Taylor Ellington (0)
Jeff Bandura (2) - Jim Hargreaves (66)

Mike Fountain (11)
Troy Gamble (72)

HM: Josh Holden C, Jeff Rohlicek C, Rick Girard C, Rob Gordon C

Previous to Henrik, the franchise tried for years to draft a top quality Center... with very little luck.
a couple of names to add for consideration: larry courville, brent tully, leif rohlin-- not the highest picks, but those guys were supposed to be players. fedor fedorov too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
I'll try this out for the Oilers post-79:

Steve Kelly (6) - Jason Bonsignore (4) - Michael Henrich (13)
Jani Rita (13) - Marc Pouliot (22) - Michel Riesen (14)
Joe Hulbig (13) - Jesse Niinimaki (15) - Kim Issel (21)
Alexei Mikhnov (17) - Scott Allison (17) - Richard Borgo (36)
Tony Salmalainen (41)

Jason Soules (15) - Nick Stajduhar (16)
Matthieu Descoteaux (19) - Jim Playfair (20)
Chris Hajt (32) - Selmar Odelein (21)
Roman Tesliuk (44)

Andrew Verner (34)
Patrick Dovigi (41)
Daryl Reaugh (42)

That left wing line-up is like the valley of the lost souls. Bonsignore is the franchise's biggest bust at 4th overall, when they really needed to hit a homerun in 1994 (Ryan Smyth at 6th overall was a decent consolation prize). Steve Kelly was taken when the home crowd was chanting for Shane Doan in 1995. We traded down in the legendary 2003 draft to take Marc Pouliot, leaving Zack Parise on the board.

Barry Fraser drafted multiple HHOFs as head scout from 1979 to 1983, but his draft record from 1984 to 2000 must be considered one of the worst ever. Out of 186 players taken between those years, 23 played more than 250 games, or 12%. Only 8 played 750 or more games, or 4%. 115 of them never even played a single game, or 62%. Brutal.
man, nick stajduhar. the very sad last piece of the gretzky trade.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 05:05 PM
  #35
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 46,088
vCash: 2440
This is an incomplete attempt for the Flyers (draft pick, followed by NHL regular season games):

Goalies:
Jean-Marc Pelletier (#30, 7 games)
Maxime Ouellet (22, 12)

Left Wings:
Ryan Sittler (7, 0)
Jukka Seppo (23, 0)
Bruce Rendall (42, 0)

Centers:
Bob Currier (6, 0)
Kent Hawley (28, 0)
Denis Metlyuk (31, 0)

Right Wings:
Danny Lucas (14, 6)
Mike Simurda (33, 0)
Jeff Harding (30, 15)

Defense:
Joni Pitkanen (4, active)
Bill Armstrong (46, 1)
Steve Smith (16, 18)
Al Sarault (14, 0)
Terran Sandwith (42, 8)

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:03 PM
  #36
Kirikanoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Vancouver Canucks

GP regular season and playoffs for Vancouver

1970 (2). Dale Tallon.............. 222-0
1971 (3). Jocelyn Guevremont... 293-0
1972 (3). Don Lever................. 593-10
1973 (3). Dennis Ververgaert.... 409-3
1973 (9). Bob Dailey................ 257-7
1974 None
1975 (10).Rick Blight................ 324-5
1976 None
1977 (4).. Jere Gillis................. 309-5
1978 (4).. Bill Derlago.................63-0
1979 (5).. Rick Vaive...................47-0
1980 (7).. Rick Lanz.................. 417-14
1981 (10).Garth Butcher............. 610-14
1982 (11).Michel Petit................ 226-1
1983 (9).. Cam Neely................. 201-7
1984 (10).J.J. Daigneault............ 131-3
1985 (4).. Jim Sandlak................ 509-33
1986 (7).. Dan Woodley.................. 5-0
1987 None
1988 (2).. Trevor Linden.............. 1140-118
1989 (8).. Jason Herter.................... 0-0
1990 (2).. Petr Nedved.................. 222-28
1990 (18).Shawn Antoski................. 70-16
1991 (7).. Alek Stojanov.................. 62-5
1992 (21). Libor Polasek.................... 0-0
1993 (20). Mike Wilson...................... 0-0
1994 (13). Mattias Ohlund............... 770-52
1995 None
1996 (12). Josh Holden..................... 46-0
1997 (10). Brad Ference..................... 0-0
1998 (4)... Bryan Allen..................... 216-7
1999 (2)... Daniel Sedin................... 746-65 (still active)
1999 (3)... Henrik Sedin................... 769-65 (still active)
2000 (23). Nathan Smith..................... 4-4
2001 (16). R.J. Umberger..................... 0-0
2002 None
2003 (23). Ryan Kesler...................... 443-23 (still active)
2004 (26). Cory Schneider.................... 22-0 (still active)
2005 (10). Luc Bourdon........................ 36-0 (died)
2006 (14). Michael Grabner................... 20-9
2007 (25). Patrick White........................ 0-0 (yet)
2008 (10). Cody Hodgson....................... 0-0 (yet)
2009 (22). Jordan Schroeder.................... 0-0 (yet)
2010 None
2011 TBA

Maybe a better question for Vancouver would be which 1st round draft picks were not busts.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:15 PM
  #37
Stick To Your Guns
Registered User
 
Stick To Your Guns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Ottawa Senators

Alex Daigle (1) Jakup Klepis (16)
Brian Lee (9)

Matt Chouinard (15)

Stick To Your Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
  #38
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
but his draft record from 1984 to 2000 must be considered one of the worst ever.
You're not kidding. The Habs during those years were pretty bad as well, but man did the Oilers mess up some pretty high picks during those years. I'm not sure if it had to do with the drafting itself, or more on the development of the players after the drafts.

1. Selmar Odelein - 21st overall
2. Scott Metcalfe - 20th overall
3. Kim Issel - 21st overall
4. Peter Soberlak - 21st overall
5. Francis Leroux - 19th overall
6. Jason Soules - 15th overall
7. Scott Allison - 17th overall
8. Tyler Wright - 12th overall
9. Joe Hulbig - 13th overall
10. Jason Arnott - 7th overall
11. Nick Stajduhar - 16th overall
12. Jason Bonsignore - 4th overall
13. Ryan Smyth - 6th overall
14. Steve Kelly - 6th overall
15. Boyd Devereaux - 6th overall
16. Matthieu Descoteaux - 19th overall
17. Michel Riesen - 14th overall
18. Michael Henrich - 13th overall
19. Jani Rita - 13th overall
20. Alexei Mikhnov - 17th overall

Bold means good selections.

When Tyler Wright and Boyd Devereaux are in your top 4 best selections (1st round) from a 17 year period, you know you're probably doing something wrong.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
  #39
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 36,566
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is an incomplete attempt for the Flyers (draft pick, followed by NHL regular season games):

Goalies:
Jean-Marc Pelletier (#30, 7 games)
Maxime Ouellet (22, 12)

Left Wings:
Ryan Sittler (7, 0)
Jukka Seppo (23, 0)
Bruce Rendall (42, 0)

Centers:
Bob Currier (6, 0)
Kent Hawley (28, 0)
Denis Metlyuk (31, 0)

Right Wings:
Danny Lucas (14, 6)
Mike Simurda (33, 0)
Jeff Harding (30, 15)

Defense:
Joni Pitkanen (4, active)
Bill Armstrong (46, 1)
Steve Smith (16, 18)
Al Sarault (14, 0)
Terran Sandwith (42, 8)
Really can't agree with Pitkanen. Don't get me wrong, he was certainly a disappointment for Philly but with how he's matured since leaving Philly he's turning into a legit #1 guy. Given the expectations for him (multi-Norris potential) merely being a decent #1 guy means he hasn't lived up to the hype. But being a decent #1 guy also means in no way should he be labeled a bust at this point. I mean that's like a Canes fan listing Jack Johnson as a bust since he refused to sign here and hasn't lived up to his reported "next Chelios" label. Sure it's a huge disappointment for Canes fans, but he's not a bust, he's a pretty decent #2 guy.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:12 PM
  #40
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!
 
bester vaive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Leafs

Goal:
Eric Fichaud
Mikael Tellqvist
Justin Pogge

Defense:
Drake Berehowsky-Gary Nylund (I know these 2 had long careers, but they're supposed to be a franchise defenceman, not a journeyman)
Jeff Ware-Steve Bankroft
Jim Benning-Pierre Hedin

Forwards:
Zedenek Nedved-Luca Cereda-Landon Wilson
Scott Pearson-Brandon Convery-Rob Pearson
Gary Leeman-Kyle Wellwood-Peter Ihnacak
Jarko Immonen-Jeff Farkas-Jiri Tlusty (too soon?)

The 1999 draft is just ....
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but, FYI Gary Leeman was a defenceman when he was drafted and first started playing with the Leafs.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:15 PM
  #41
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 46,088
vCash: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Carter View Post
Really can't agree with Pitkanen. Don't get me wrong, he was certainly a disappointment for Philly but with how he's matured since leaving Philly he's turning into a legit #1 guy. Given the expectations for him (multi-Norris potential) merely being a decent #1 guy means he hasn't lived up to the hype. But being a decent #1 guy also means in no way should he be labeled a bust at this point. I mean that's like a Canes fan listing Jack Johnson as a bust since he refused to sign here and hasn't lived up to his reported "next Chelios" label. Sure it's a huge disappointment for Canes fans, but he's not a bust, he's a pretty decent #2 guy.
I don't disagree with much of that. I included him only because a trade was made to get the 4th pick, for him, and with that he didn't pan out for the team.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
  #42
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller
 
Frozen Failure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richardson, TX
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,065
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure

Post '93

Jason Botterill (20) - Lee Jinman (46) - Vojtek Polak (36)
Patrick Cote (37) - Roman Lyashenko (53) - Raymond Sawada (52)
Tyler Bouck (57) - Marius Holtet (42) - Michael Ryan (32)
Janos Vas (32) - Nico Sacchetti (50) - Joel Lundqvist (68)

Ric Jackam (5) - Dan Jancevski (66)
Martin Vagner (26) - Johan Fransson (34)
Ivan Vishnevskiy (27) - John Erskine

Jason Bacashihua (26)
Tobias Stephan (34)

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  #43
WilliamRanford
Registered User
 
WilliamRanford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
You're not kidding. The Habs during those years were pretty bad as well, but man did the Oilers mess up some pretty high picks during those years. I'm not sure if it had to do with the drafting itself, or more on the development of the players after the drafts.

1. Selmar Odelein - 21st overall
2. Scott Metcalfe - 20th overall
3. Kim Issel - 21st overall
4. Peter Soberlak - 21st overall
5. Francis Leroux - 19th overall
6. Jason Soules - 15th overall
7. Scott Allison - 17th overall
8. Tyler Wright - 12th overall
9. Joe Hulbig - 13th overall
10. Jason Arnott - 7th overall
11. Nick Stajduhar - 16th overall
12. Jason Bonsignore - 4th overall
13. Ryan Smyth - 6th overall
14. Steve Kelly - 6th overall
15. Boyd Devereaux - 6th overall
16. Matthieu Descoteaux - 19th overall
17. Michel Riesen - 14th overall
18. Michael Henrich - 13th overall
19. Jani Rita - 13th overall
20. Alexei Mikhnov - 17th overall

Bold means good selections.

When Tyler Wright and Boyd Devereaux are in your top 4 best selections (1st round) from a 17 year period, you know you're probably doing something wrong.
Totally agreed, though I will say he snagged Martin Rucinsky in the 1991 First Round, which makes the record somewhat less pathetic.

WilliamRanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2011, 10:22 PM
  #44
kaiser matias
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Already been done, but I just wanted to say that attempting this for the Canucks is like shooting fish in a barrel. So many poor selections throughout the history of the team. At least they are consistent in something.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
  #45
Habsfan18
Registered User
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRanford View Post
Totally agreed, though I will say he snagged Martin Rucinsky in the 1991 First Round, which makes the record somewhat less pathetic.
Ah, I forgot Rucinksy, which is odd since he played with the Habs for a few seasons.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.